PDA

View Full Version : [OT] What my band turned out in the studio - have a listen

NS_CHROME54
31-01-04, 04:41
yep my band, Know Reason (based in kelowna, canada), was just in the studio. we turned out 2 songs. this is one of them. have a listen, and tell me what you think :). it's kind of somewhere between linkin park, godsmack, and the 'load' era metallica. and it has a guitar solo!!!

GET IT HERE (http://www.netfusedesigns.com/knowreason/takemedown.zip)

NS_CHROME54
31-01-04, 04:52
btw, the song is called "Take Me Down"

Cytaur
31-01-04, 04:59
good job, but there're too many rock bands out there o_o

ZoneVortex
31-01-04, 05:03
Originally posted by Cytaur
good job, but there're too many rock bands out there o_o

are there really more rock bands than country bands or rap groups or do you just watch too much MTV or something?

I think rock just gets the most positive publicity thus creating the image that there are more rock bands, and also rock is more popular among the youth / a lot of adults due to the publicity it gets 8|

Cytaur
31-01-04, 05:04
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
are there really more rock bands than country bands or rap groups or do you just watch too much MTV or something?

I think rock just gets the most positive publicity thus creating the image that there are more rock bands, and also rock is more popular among the youth / a lot of adults due to the publicity it gets 8|

no actually I don't watch MTV because of that :0

NS_CHROME54
31-01-04, 05:25
uh... you guys like it?

DonnyJepp
31-01-04, 05:30
actually, yes. Impressive I'd say :)

Spoon
31-01-04, 05:52
Originally posted by NS_CHROME54
uh... you guys like it?

Yeah, actually it's pretty damn good.......

Myrlin
31-01-04, 06:15
I think I would have boosted the vocals a bit more and maybe turned the bass down a bit in places. Overall though, its very good. I like your sound. I hope you post more links if you've got more songs.

joran420
31-01-04, 07:29
sounds rather good imho.....i was pleasantly surprised

extract
31-01-04, 07:39
I like it the chorus is dope.....good job, but I do have to say it sounds alot like most bands out there.....

japata
31-01-04, 09:10
Quite professional sounding I have to say. Very good, but there are some room for improvement - of course. :)

For instance, because the lead has a pretty "normal" voice you guys might want to try to change the structure of the vocals. Instead of descending (like in the "take me down" -point), try ascending singing. Changing these inside one song adds a lot of texture.

And another thing, you might want to try a bit more careful drums during the peaceful intro and the interlude. Also, there're some points where the base and drums do not meet correctly... nothing to worry about. :)

In the end, excellent song. Basically nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bit of mixing. Hey, I don't even like those bands that influenced you, but I still like this song. ;)

Benjie
31-01-04, 09:22
Not trying to insult your band, but your song sounds like a lot of other songs I've heard, and it doesn't particullaly stand out almong them. Sorry for the put down, just trying to give you honest critisism.

*edit*
Acutally I'm a songwriter, and if my song isn't at least as good as the best bands I know, then I torture myself over it. IE if I think A Perfect Circle are writing stuff thats better than me I glue myself to my guitar and let it stress me out, untill I progress. Usually I still don't write anything better the band I am torturing myself over, but I do improve in songwriting. Using this tecknique you can come to a logical conclusion that eventually be a very good songwriter, but it takes time. I've been writing songs for almost 8 years, and right now I'm listening to a lot of bands like Sigur Ros, Bjork, and Mum. (all Icelandic for some reason) Through most of last year I was influenced heavily by Dredg, A Perfect Circle and Tool. You'll notice they are actually very different styles of music. The contrast allows me to see outside of the box, and try new things. It also allows me to critisise my songs from different genres points of view. For example, would this song be good in the eyes of a Tool fan? What would a Sigur Ros fan advise me to improve on? It's a strenious task, but I'm getting better I think. Songwriting is a hard thing to do, but if you keep at it eventually your band will own Linken Park and mettalica. Also try to remember that Linken Park and Mettallica have established themselves as the leaders of there Genres. You will notice that whenether a band comes up that sounds like them, they don't last very long. Living in the shadow of another band often causes problems. Try not to hug your influences too tightly. Hope this helps in some way.

Cytaur
31-01-04, 10:11
Originally posted by Benjie
Not trying to insult your band, but your song sounds like a lot of other songs I've heard, and it doesn't particullaly stand out almong them. Sorry for the put down, just trying to give you honest critisism.

I'll 2nd that...

NS_CHROME54
31-01-04, 18:43
heheh i despise linkin park with a passion tbh.

we play what we're good at, and this is what we're good at. i also listen to a very broad spectrum of music (albeit it's mostly rock influenced), such as metallica, stevie ray vaughn (BEST FUCKING PLAYER EVER), ari hest, tool, jeff healy band, rolling stones, etc etc... and i'm only 17 :rolleyes:

but stevie ray vaughn would be way too strange to try and attempt as a band, so we don't.

thx for the c&c people, very much appreciated :D