PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! Multiple Instances of Client.exe Detected...

Drexel
30-01-04, 10:25
Help please.

I get the following error message when trying to log on & i crash back to desk top...

"Multiple Instances Of client.exe Detected ! This Instance Will Be Closed Now."

Yes I have 2 accounts, but I have never played with the ini. files & I have never logged both accounts at the same time, I just have 2 accounts.

Anyone else get this, I cant play, & im a little upset.

HELP !!!! :confused:

\\Fényx//
30-01-04, 10:46
Originally posted by Drexel
Help please.

I get the following error message when trying to log on & i crash back to desk top...

"Multiple Instances Of client.exe Detected ! This Instance Will Be Closed Now."

Yes I have 2 accounts, but I have never played with the ini. files & I have never logged both accounts at the same time, I just have 2 accounts.

Anyone else get this, I cant play, & im a little upset.

HELP !!!! :confused:

Are you playting on a network with someone else thats running NC ?

Mighty Max
30-01-04, 10:49
Do you have another Prog running with the same .exe filename?

I.e. Asheronscall uses a Client.exe too, that might get detected as another instance of Neocron, depending on how Neocron detects it.

You can simply check it by opening the Taskmanager and look up the Processes running. Do you see a "Client" or "Client.exe" ? If yes, kill it and start your neocron.

\\Fényx//
30-01-04, 10:50
Originally posted by Mighty Max
Do you have another Prog running with the same .exe filename?

I.e. Asheronscall uses a Client.exe too, that might get detected as another instance of Neocron, depending on how Neocron detects it.

You can simply check it by opening the Taskmanager and look up the Processes running. Do you see a "Client" or "Client.exe" ? If yes, kill it and start your neocron.

omg thats a really lame way of cutting down how many NC Clients you can run O_o

Not like NC's the only thing in the world called client.exe :confused:

Drexel
30-01-04, 10:58
Nah, no network, just checking now if anything else is using client.exe there shouldent be, nothing else is running. :(

Mighty Max
30-01-04, 11:02
omg thats a really lame way of cutting down how many NC Clients you can run

Not like NC's the only thing in the world called client.exe

Doesnt mean they did it this way, i was just thinking of a way why it could prevent loading without Neocron already running.

Drexel
30-01-04, 11:08
I cant see anything else running using client.exe or anything like it.

Am I the only one ? Must be, dammit.

Starting to panic now, not impressed.

Im not PC savy, so im pretty much screwed.

BiTeMe
30-01-04, 11:17
1st step is to do a file search on "client.exe" on all your hard drives just to see what it finds.
2nd Try the "check files" option on launcher.
3rd just to make sure, hold down your shift key when windows loads (start holding down shift when you see the windows load screen) as then windows shouldn't load anything in the startup folder / registry, then try neocron.

Drexel
30-01-04, 11:17
Ummm, when you say ' open taskmaster' & see whats running, what do you mean ? How do I open / locate this ?

I tried holding shift, but everything still seemed to load from startup, is the timing of this critical ? If so when do I start it ?

Seems to be no other program on PC using client.exe, some with blahblahclient.exe, but none of these seem to be running.

but where do I find taskmanager ? is this alt contol delete ? or am I not even warm ?

Dammit, got rid of GF for the night & I cant even play.

cMz
30-01-04, 11:30
If you are running Windows 2000 or XP

Task Manager can be started if you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. There is 6 buttons on the dialog that comes up, one of them is Task Manager.

amfest
30-01-04, 11:34
just out of curiosity . .. if you have two seperate installs of neocron, this will be sad if it's the case ..but try deleting the client.exe of one of the installs .. lol.

Drexel
30-01-04, 11:40
Im Running windows ME (please dont laugh)\

When I Alt + Control + Delete i only get 3 options 'end task' 'shutdown' or 'cancel' no task manager :(

Cannot find a second version of client.exe to delete. (what happens if i delete the Neocron one ? :eek: )

BiTeMe
30-01-04, 11:58
If shift key doesn't work click run then type msconfig

Look though the tabs and see what your computer is loading. IIRC msconfig is on all windows versions except NT/2k.

Also try clicking run, then msinfo32.
Look in the software/running tasks section and look for a client.exe

Try moving client.exe out of your neocron folder and keep it safe somewhere, then do a file check.

Try reinstalling Neocron if everything fails.

CoDi
30-01-04, 12:09
Better do not delete/rename/move any files around. Our code does not search for "client.exe".

Can you give me a list of all applications and possibly desktop windows open & running on your PC, when you start Neocron?

[TgR]KILLER
30-01-04, 12:15
Originally posted by Drexel

Cannot find a second version of client.exe to delete. (what happens if i delete the Neocron one ? :eek: )

u will have to reinstall nc then :p the client.exe is the start up file.. so without that nc aint starting never :)

just listen to codi on what do to.. he made it he should know ;)

BiTeMe
30-01-04, 12:53
Originally posted by CoDi
Better do not delete/rename/move any files around. Our code does not search for "client.exe".

Can you give me a list of all applications and possibly desktop windows open & running on your PC, when you start Neocron?

I assumed it did check it because of the patch notes

- All *.exe and *.dll files are now checked when Neocron starts.

CoDi
30-01-04, 14:59
Yeah, it does check the program files for possible corruption or version conflict (via checksum).

But, the "multiple clients on one PC" check does *not* scan for client.exe files or tasks.

Babes
30-01-04, 15:15
Hmm I wonder how NC checks for multiple copies of NC running.

The most obvious may be the IP Address of the machine being sent to the server and any other client wanting to log on is checked against the IP Addresses regestered on the logon server.

Just wondering what would happen if you had more than 1 network card or added 10 IP addressed to your Nextwork connection

jernau
30-01-04, 15:26
It probably checks and sets a mutex on launch.

Could use GUIDs but that's less likely as you could get round it easily.

CoDi
30-01-04, 17:42
After some complaints, and various discussions... we'll change this check with the next patch. From "I wont let you do it" to "I'll allow it, but warn you that it may cause problems".

So, multiple instances will be possible again.

Marx
30-01-04, 17:49
After some complaints, and various discussions... we'll change this check with the next patch. From "I wont let you do it" to "I'll allow it, but warn you that it may cause problems".

Sexy.

ElfinLord
30-01-04, 17:50

That's pretty cool, but what was the problem in the first place?

Nexos
30-01-04, 18:16

hell yeah, thanks! :)

Gleep
30-01-04, 19:52

Thank You, any idea when this patch will come?

Drexel
30-01-04, 21:46
Ahhh yer, how long to patch / hot patch ?

Ive got a clan to run & this is the first day in a year I havent logged onto Neocron, & it hurts bad !!!

Thanks for you help CoDi, I.O.U. 1 cron 55 if you fix this, ahh what the hell, make it a dozen,

Cruzbroker
30-01-04, 23:47
Yeah, it does check the program files for possible corruption or version conflict (via checksum).

But, the "multiple clients on one PC" check does *not* scan for client.exe files or tasks.

Yeah, Samurize runs as Client.exe, but I have no problems. What it does? :p

Spoek Hagbard
31-01-04, 00:20

CoDi now i really gotta buy you a beer :D