PDA

View Full Version : Truely Realistic Games

sw1tch
29-01-04, 03:10
Some of you UK people probably just watched the film on bbc1 called The Thirteenth Floor, so hopefully you might have thought of this too.

When the time comes, which I am sure it will do with todays constant increast in technology, games will look and feel real.

Maybe its too moral for this forum, but when you enter a gaming world that does not differ from your own, could you distinguish real from the not real. Well say you had entered a shooting game, and with everything looking and feeling real, would you be able to shoot your oponent with no feelings of remorse?

I'm sure anyone in an army of some kind who have actually killed a person before might understand the feelings, but with everything looking and feeling real could you pull the trigger on an eating breathing peice of electricity?

ezza
29-01-04, 03:23
bahh missed it knew there was something i was gonna watch, also missed Fraser new series:mad:

sooooooooooo due to the fact i didnt watch it im going for the 3rd option;)

sw1tch
29-01-04, 03:39
well to give an example of what i am talking about:

Its 2024 and you decide to play an online FPS against your best mate, you enter the game and are running around an abandoned building, all looks well you inspect a wall; there’s mud on the wall you look close, smells real, feels real, moves like real, it all looks real.

Out of the corner of your eye you see movement; its your friend standing there, looking every bit like he does in real life, except hes holing a gun. He points it right at your face, its a game right? you shoot him back and it hits him right in the head. The contents of his skull are scattered over the floor; blood starts to make a pool around his shoes; you see him slouch against the wall and slowly slide down it. You see him takes his last ever breath and last ever look at the world.

The next day you see him at school. How the fuck could you put those images behind you, it sure would scar me for life, even though it was a compute program, it looked real, smelt real so how could your brain not mistake it for real? seeing is believing right?

Cytaur
29-01-04, 04:13
What IS real ? If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

Benjie
29-01-04, 04:18
Originally posted by sw1tch
it sure would scar me for life, even though it was a compute program, it looked real, smelt real so how could your brain not mistake it for real? seeing is believing right?
Are you joking? I dream of days computer games reach that kind of realism! :p

Actually, belive it or not, this need for games to be more realistic is saving thousands of lives.

Computer Games are the biggest Market on Computers, and they cause Tecknology wars between companys like Nvidia and ATI, Pentium and Athlon, AOL and Blue Yonder. These companys are fighting it out trying to make more powerfull computer components and services.

Because of all this, Medicine and our power to cure the human body is increasing dramaticly.

If it wasn't for games, computers would be a lot less sophisticated than they are now. If it wasn't for current computer sophistication, then the Medical Services would be a lot shitter than the services you receive now.

Cytaur
29-01-04, 04:20
So you're saying if it wasn't for PONG, we would still be living with those 1 houseblock large computers ?

Benjie
29-01-04, 04:26
Originally posted by Cytaur
So you're saying if it wasn't for PONG, we would still be living with those 1 houseblock large computers ?
No they would obviously still have evolved, but you have got to admit that computer games have fueled computer evolution somewhat.

The computer game industry is close to being as big as the movie industry. When Television was first invented, it was intended to be a tool used for Education. :rolleyes: I think that it was Entertainment that gave me my 5.1 Surround, widescreen, DVD setup, don't you?

sanityislost
29-01-04, 04:30
nothing is real which is why i wouldnt have a problem killing in game, reality is what u decide it to be so im just kicking about this place till i find out where im ment to be

Benjie
29-01-04, 04:34
In regards to the orrigional topic, I could easy kill artificial Intellegence, however I could not kill a genuine mechanical Intellegence because It would be the same as murder.

I am a Vegetarian By The Way, and I am so because I belive killing animals is not neccisary for our species to east meat. this relates to this thread because it describes my personality and my attitude toward taking life.

(We are not carnivours, we are omnivours. We don't need to eat meat at all. Animals like Tigers however do. Just to clarify that before somebody quotes me and gives me the whole 'animals eat other animals' speach.)

Dribble Joy
29-01-04, 04:40
Originally posted by Cytaur
What IS real ? If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

I've heard that before :rolleyes:

I'm not going to start spewing pseudo-intelligant babble about the meaning and self interpretation of reality, I'm going to make some tea.

GRIM
29-01-04, 04:48
Killing people is what i love to do, ingame... if it were real life i would probably do the same if i had to... if i was in the military i would prolly kill for thrills... eh.. maybe its just me... i might be one of those cereal killers on the lose... no one will ever know =)

So, yes, i would have no problem pulling the trigger =)

Benjie
29-01-04, 04:49
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
I've heard that before :rolleyes:

I'm not going to start spewing pseudo-intelligant babble about the meaning and self interpretation of reality, I'm going to make some tea.

lol, nice quote. :lol:

*edit* put in in my sig. It's too priceless to let it fade. :)

Bob Monkhouse
29-01-04, 04:51
The military already use very realistic Small Arms Simulators that use a video screen, darkened rooms and simulated function weapons (a gas feed system operates the bolts, so you get recoil and fully automatic firing if needed; it can also simulate weapon stoppages etc). You practice many types of engagement drills on this simulator, in particular peacetime RoE simulations, where you have to make shoot/no shoot decisions with civilians/terrorist suspects.

In my experience, it was always easy to shoot at military targets, but whenever you shot a civilian you actually felt ashamed. (Thats the whole point I guess)

So, depending on the type of game I reckon it would be entirely possible to experience negative emotional reactions to such realistic games as you envision.

Oh, sorry I can't let the veggie go unpunished: Omnivores eat both meat and plants, not plants exclusively. Since we evolved as hunter/gatherers, it is impossible for anyone to accurately predict the effects of eating a plant only diet on human physiology as a species. So, keep eating those steaks if you want to stay healthy.

Marx
29-01-04, 04:53
At that point games would simply desensitize future gamers.

Anyway, we don't have to worry about that - didn't John Titor say the world would be destroyed soon anyway?

:lol:

Benjie
29-01-04, 04:54
Originally posted by Bob Monkhouse
Oh, sorry I can't let the veggie go unpunished: Omnivores eat both meat and plants, not plants exclusively. Since we evolved as hunter/gatherers, it is impossible for anyone to accurately predict the effects of eating a plant only diet on human physiology as a species. So, keep eating those steaks if you want to stay healthy.
You need protein, not meat. Hey m8, say it to the millions of vegitarians world wide. We Pwn Joo. :D

Marx
29-01-04, 04:55
You need protein, not meat. Hey m8, say it to the millions of vegitarians world wide. We Pwn Joo.

Do plants have omega fatty acids?

;)'

healthy mix of meat and veggie > pure veggie.

healthy mix of meat and veggie > pure meat.

Dissenter
29-01-04, 09:58
Maddox's Opinion (http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html)

When you say we are omnivores, then that means both doesn't it, as Marx said.

Anna
29-01-04, 10:07
cs like games where you have to shoot your friends could be ... troubling perhaps, yes

but lets say a DOOM 3, coorperative with friends perhaps, would be the thrill of a lifetime

for the people with huuuge cojones :D

Dissenter
29-01-04, 10:09
IT would allow for Time Travel in a sense.

Being able to put yourself in past settings, such as WW2, or the Dark Ages.

Could even be like the holodeck thingy on Star Trek.