PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Wwiiol _really_ Got Their Crap Together!

Nvidia
27-01-04, 06:05
I'm sure all of you have heard of this "doomed" MMO...

Extremely buggy release... constant complaints...

I played up until about September of 2002, lost a bunch of squaddies who moved on, and I left too...

Anyways, a friend sent me this link today describing everything they did to the game in 2003... all I could say after reading it was :eek:

http://www5.playnet.com/bv/wwiiol/2003.jsp

Now... words are great and all, but I've been deceived by em before.... so I thought I'd put CRS' money where their mouth is. ;)

Gave the game a try for the first time in over a year... and I gotta say, they REALLY got their shit together from when I left.

They've got training sessions for vehicles (it seems) almost every Saturday...

WEEKLY community updates

Frequent patches

A particular incident occured on the forums over there a few days ago. Someone posted a link for an unlimited ammo cheat on the forums, and within 3 hours, the server was down, patched, and the person responsible banned. Never seen that in any MMO I've played since then.

The best thing I noticed was the HUGE influx of players...

I spawned in at a deopt in an enemy town... and I could barely count all the little enemy infantry crossing the roads, hiding from the prowling tanks creeping along the roads.

I saw smoke nades going off and infantry advancing from cover, with Light-machine guns providing covering fire for the infantry to make a run for the AB (Army base, it's what you gotta take to capture the town)

After they captured it, I thought it was safe to come down from my church tower perch (Where I happily sniped 13 Enemy infantry over the course of 15 minutes :lol: ) But no... because a group of three HE-111's (bombers) comes and levels the SHIT out of the entire town. I could hear the bombs whizzing past my head (Seriously, they added a sound effect for it :) ) before they came down and shook the ground as I ran for cover.

That was the most fun I've had in an Online FPS in a LONG time, and it certainly will not be something I forget.

The sheer amount of stuff they've added in the past year is uncountable....

Anyways, not trying to steal Neocron players or anything (Neocrack is my baby, I'd never leave her! :lol: ) just wanted to let you guys know that the game is finally to the point where you can log in, and appreciate all the hard work those few guys put into it.

If you think about it, the way KK was a few months ago is exactly how CRS was before I left (Or pretty close anyways) However, especially in December and January, KK has really gotten better with the public relations, and is much better at letting the community know about possible decisions being made. Hopefully, BDoY will put this game back on the map, and we can turn it into the degree of beauty WWIIOL has managed to achieve (finally!).

ServeX
27-01-04, 06:44
i might try that.

Dribble Joy
27-01-04, 06:45
ANOTHER WWII multiplayer fps......

please, just let the genre die.

Morris
27-01-04, 07:02
Another? It's been around for a rather long time. Plus it's not your standard 16-32 player shooter fare like RtCW or Day of Defeat, it's a comprehensive massively multiplayer sim. I used to play it but just got kinda tired of the community... that's the game's real weak spot :(

Forget My Name
27-01-04, 07:47
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
ANOTHER WWII multiplayer fps......

please, just let the genre die.

Wrong genre.... And this game has been around since the Flintstones roamed the earth.

Ozambabbaz
27-01-04, 15:37
Bloody terrific gameplay, i must say, have to back Nvidia on the players, there's always massif battles to be had, also always a lone straggler to take out :D

I really adore the teamwork based game, and another admirable facet, is that if you avoid the forums, it's virtually Whine-Free :D :D :D Uber

Multi-crewing a PzrIIIH at blitz-speed is just something unique, and the gritty atmosphere, darn, they are getting this game down to a tee. wwiimag are having a 14-day trial available if you wanna feel it.

El_MUERkO
27-01-04, 16:06
If you download it you can prick around in the vehicles offline to get used to the feel of the game. The planes are pretty cool (i play alot of il2 so i'm a stickler for detail)but theres a very low flight cealing and the tanks seem cool but I havent heard what its like to play and what sort of battles are going on, if they're the same scale as Planetside then this could be a very promising game.

Oryx
27-01-04, 16:26
Hmm, I got the game a couple years ago, and this was before I got my new comp (with the works) so..what i read was and looked great. I might give it a shot, again.

Wharg0ul
27-01-04, 18:04
lol...I used to play that game......man it sucked. Was hoping they'd do something to salvage the game....it had a LOT of potential.
Thing that used to annoy me was riding in a truck for 20 minutes to get to a fight that you wouldn't live long enough to enjoy. Youd either get killed by someone you never saw, or get shot and bleed to death, while crawling uselessly through the weeds.
Grass wasn't cover at all....you could see an infantryman from a mile away in any kind of cover.
Don't think I'll go back to it, but it's nice to see they've been making progress.

Archeus
27-01-04, 18:17
Do they still have the flying tanks in it?

Anyone know where the 'always look on the bright side of life' movie for WWIIOL is? that was hilarious.

Wharg0ul
28-01-04, 08:40
lol...just for the hell of it, I got a trial account to see how it's changed. played it all day, and had a good time. Man I suck now :lol:
Man...the really big differance I noticed was PFS/lag......it's pretty damn smooth now, even in large-scale battles.
totally something worth playing when NC is just pissin' ya off. MUCH better than it used to be. (Although the 2-d trees still make me laugh)