PDA

View Full Version : Show your online status in your signature!

BramTops
26-01-04, 17:22
A new feature in NLpro enables you to show your online status anywhere on the web! See my signature for an example. Here's mine stand-alone:

http://www.creITive.com/neocron/sig/on1.png

All you need is (ofcourse) an NeoLauncher PRO account. Once you've enabled this option in your "account settings" an image with your online status and last launch info will be created every 10 minutes.

You can see the exact url of the image in your "account settings" window of NeoLauncher PRO. But it's something like this:
http://www.creITive.com/neocron/sig/onXXX.png
The XXX's represent your NLpro internal ID number.

The image is only 15 pixels high, so it leave 85 pixels for your own signature.. :)

Suggestions welcome!!!

/edit: the images are created and updated once every 10 minutes! So keep in mind that it will not be there immediatly once you've enabled this feature.

Wilco
26-01-04, 17:32
I just yesterday read an article here on the forums in which several people described massive problems using your tool (NLpro)...
A tool that is not functioning properly is nothing unusual;
a tool that can only be "uninstalled" by reinstalling the OS from scratch is a severe danger...

Therefore i decided as was suggested by one poster of the aforementioned thread...
I *don't use it*...

Of course, that's everyones own decision.

Regards, Wilco

P.S.: no problems from KK yet with your avatar?

MjukisDjur
26-01-04, 17:34
anyone with a iq over 80 does a backup of the neocron folder before installing ANYTHING :P

BramTops
26-01-04, 17:39
Originally posted by Wilco
a tool that can only be "uninstalled" by reinstalling the OS from scratch is a severe danger...

P.S.: no problems from KK yet with your avatar?

hehehe... lol... you dont have to re-install your OS to uninstall this m8... that'd be.. well.. i'll never dare to release that kind of crap.

The only feature that currently (working on it) can NOT be uninstalled is the graphics update (the thing that replaces ingame graphics of belts/rares/etc..) because it modifies NC graphics files of neocron using ItemGFX.

If you're really affraid of this, you can simple not install THAT feature (still leaves you with NLpro itself, enhanced maps, crosshairs, etc..). You can (un)select the features you want when installing!!!!

And I've had my avatar for ages now... so dont think it's a problem :D

J. Folsom
26-01-04, 17:42
That's neat, maybe I should install NLPro again someday...
On the other hand, I rather like people not knowing whether or not I'm online.

n3m
26-01-04, 17:46
nice :)

BramTops
26-01-04, 17:59
Originally posted by J. Folsom
On the other hand, I rather like people not knowing whether or not I'm online.

Thought about that.... But there're still more pro's than con's to it.

I *love* it to see who's online of our clan :D

And you dont *have* to use this feature, ofcourse.

ps. n3m, have you enabled this feature in your "account settings"?

n3m
26-01-04, 18:00
I have now, I had some trouble reminding my passy :p

J. Folsom
26-01-04, 18:04
Originally posted by BramTops
I *love* it to see who's online of our clan :DThat's no problem for me, the moment I log on my whole clan is online. :p
(One man... Well, four man, clan)

And you dont *have* to use this feature, ofcourse.I decided to use it anyway, for the convenience of the rest of the world. Or the inconvenience, whatever.

[TgR]KILLER
26-01-04, 18:07
talking about sigs.. what ya think of my new sig / avatar ? first one i ever dit myself ;)

i might download NLpro.. will see if i got time tonight.. still waiting on 2 new PC's i orderd.. gotta build / install em and put em on the network.. router/modem is set already now just the comps :lol:

btw anybody noticed that if u do a quick minor ( spelling ) edit on your post it doesn't show the last eddited crap under your sig ?

Ascension
26-01-04, 18:07
What a neat feature u reckon i can have it on my sig? instead so i can have the full 100 pixels down :)

Originally posted by [TgR]KILLER
talking about sigs.. what ya think of my new sig / avatar ? first

Yeah good job M8.. what ya think to my new 1?

J. Folsom
26-01-04, 18:13
Minor suggestion though, perhaps you should add the server people have configured as their main one to the image as well. Currently that's a little bit unclear.

EDIT: Fixed font

BramTops
26-01-04, 18:18
Minor suggestion though, perhaps you should add the server people have configured as their main one to the image as well. Currently that's a little bit unclear.
Done! Thanks for the suggestion!

[TgR]KILLER
26-01-04, 18:20
yea its cool asc :)

and J. Folsom he's damn fast...

edit before edit.. meh bram posted before me..

Wilco
26-01-04, 18:20
Originally posted by MjukisDjur
anyone with a iq over 80 does a backup of the neocron folder before installing ANYTHING :P
Just read my post again, will you!

@BramTops: Well, it's good to hear that you didn't fiddle with anything else, than files in the NC folder, but:

As stated by the starter of the refered thread as well as at least one poster who replied to it, they couldn't even fix the problem by NEWLY installing NC (so much for "keeping a copy of the nc-folder", Mjukis).

The only thing that helped one guy was a clean install of windows.
Of course, almost every problem could be solved by simply editing something in the registry and swapping a file here and there...
but unfortunately nowadays even the professionals don't look trough ALL of this shit anymore. Hence -> new installation.

But maybe you can "circle in" that specific problem they had and solve it. ;)

Regards, Wilco

BramTops
26-01-04, 18:42
If you cant wait for the new images to be created, open this page : http://www.creitive.com/neocron/sig/create.php
This will create the new images...

@wilco: 1 person had this OS problem... hundreds didn't. I think the problem lies with his configuration...

And I'm still trying to figure this thing out. But, like i said, the "enhanced graphics" feature is using ItemGFX to install these new graphics. And since i'm not the author of this program, I can do little or no "bug-tracking" there.. :(

All I can do is make sure that NLpro works as it should. And, believe me, that's one of my priorities.

Psyco Groupie
26-01-04, 18:51
wilco how on earth can nclp fuck up your OS .. jesus you [Axed - Gungnir]

MjukisDjur
26-01-04, 18:53
Well, there is no chance that this addon could have killed his OS unless his... haha :)

Wilco
26-01-04, 19:55
Ts ts ts...
Just one sentence to the imbecile: learn to READ properly and if you don't succeed, simply [Axed as well - Gungnir] :rolleyes:
Wilco

Maarten
27-01-04, 00:13
Guys, take it easy...

So to sum all things up, NL Pro is a great program with a lot of new features that are totaly safe.
There is only a small risk (small, as in comparing the numbers of people who have problems with the ones who don't) that the "enhanced graphics" will not work as intended and some graphics get messed up. A new install of Neocron SHOULD fix this.

So as long as you don't install the "enhanced graphics" there is not a SINGLE RISK that something screwes up. Simply because everything that is installed can be uninstalled and you will never know they were there.

While typing this, I just came up with a great idea to help the unlucky people who got messed up graphics so they won't have to reinstall Neocron to fix the damage. More on this later...

Oh, and btw, great new feature Bram... ;)

El_MUERkO
27-01-04, 00:32
NLpro = w1n, hurry up with the fix mart, my belts r giving my head aches :)

KuifJe
27-01-04, 01:06
I just yesterday read an article here on the forums in which several people described massive problems using your tool (NLpro)...
A tool that is not functioning properly is nothing unusual;

snip...

U seem like a person that thinks the glass is half empty as well.

Making bad advertisements about a program u didnt even try :rolleyes: Going by the experiences of others isnt a bad thing, just dont go repeating those people without trying it out for yourself. I've installed NLpro without any trouble using all features (including the ItemGFX) no problems whatsoever.

About the person that had to reinstall from scratch, like Bram said, thats 1 in god knows how many. User error springs to mind then.

NLpro adds some functions which the original launcher should have, such as (important) comunity events/news as well as other personal stuff as keeping track of online buddies. Nice free add-ons IMO :)

I'll be waiting for the bugfix ;)

Wilco
27-01-04, 01:43
KuifJe, my reply 3 posts up from yours does also apply to you...
(btw. the abbreviation that has been 'axed' by our 'one eyed' censor here, was just an advice to better not showing their substandard cognitive capacities but to simply shut up)

I didn't make a "bad advertisement", but informed people towards possible dangers...
But it's nice to hear from you, that you would (without a need, as NC runs quite well without NLpro) just test out any nice looking program, even after hearing, that it may wreck havoc to one of your favorite applications... :rolleyes:
And sorry, but without a dire need, i do not test possibly dangerous things just for the sake of itself... a simple calculation of pros and cons... :cool:

Interestingly, the programs author is much more understanding about such a topic than most bystanding bloopers.

And actually i'm more the type of "this glass is half full", else i wouldn't make the differentiation between (and live with the former) applications with glitches and those who can wreck havoc on your system.

If a simple application enhancement that has nothing to do with system drivers or thelike can corrupt your installation in a way that not even a clean reinstall of said application (Neocron in this case) can make it run properly again, then somethings terribly bad here.

As the programs author insists, that his little app is in no way to be made responsible for such erratic behaviour, and i didn't test his program to check for myself, i have to believe him.

I didn't want to "bash" on the authors work; and the fact, that he has more than 200 "happy customers" speaks for itself.

So, as already written in my first post: "Everyone has to decide for him-/herself here"

Regards, Wilco

2ply
27-01-04, 05:25
I likey.

Nice one.

Rieper
27-01-04, 06:55
seeing as im one of the people who actually uses NL Pro and had it mess up my gfx, im still saying Get It! its a cool program, they made one mistake with item graphics which they are working on correcting, and they started working on it as soon as they knew there was a bug, which is very respectable imo.

Good kjob guys :)

KuifJe
27-01-04, 17:17
I didn't make a "bad advertisement", but informed people towards possible dangers...
I guess Coca Cola informing us they're making the best softdrinks isnt advertisement either then

You're stating theres major bugs in this program without even having tested it yourself.
Errr...thats bad advertisement period.

But it's nice to hear from you, that you would (without a need, as NC runs quite well without NLpro) just test out any nice looking program, even after hearing, that it may wreck havoc to one of your favorite applications... :rolleyes:
I installed it before there was a post about messed up graphics or any other post about bugs

And sorry, but without a dire need, i do not test possibly dangerous things just for the sake of itself... a simple calculation of pros and cons... :cool:
Nobody is asking that, I just think u shouldnt but into a discussion about something u never even seen before let alone had negative OR (OMGOMGOMG) positive experiences with. BTW, if we all thought like that, stuff would stay in alpha stage indefinately as well :rolleyes:

Interestingly, the programs author is much more understanding about such a topic than most bystanding bloopers.
Cudos to him indeed

And actually i'm more the type of "this glass is half full", else i wouldn't make the differentiation between (and live with the former) applications with glitches and those who can wreck havoc on your system.
If you're just as negative about other programs as you are about this one, theres just 3 people needed to make you say "ooooh this'll wreck you're puter and everyone using it is a numpty for not believing in me".

If a simple application enhancement that has nothing to do with system drivers or thelike can corrupt your installation in a way that not even a clean reinstall of said application (Neocron in this case) can make it run properly again, then somethings terribly bad here.
Somehow "user error" keeps springing to mind :rolleyes:

As the programs author insists, that his little app is in no way to be made responsible for such erratic behaviour, and i didn't test his program to check for myself, i have to believe him.

I didn't want to "bash" on the authors work; and the fact, that he has more than 200 "happy customers" speaks for itself.

So, as already written in my first post: "Everyone has to decide for him-/herself here"

Regards, Wilco
If you didnt want to "bash" his work, why post then?

You had nothing usefull or helpfull to add, just repeat some stuff that someone else (!!!) posted before. My advice to you would be to make a backup point of your OS, then a clean install of NC and NLpro and test it out. If you have done so post your experiences here, bad or good. That way you might have something usefull to add in this.

BramTops
27-01-04, 17:37
Ok ppl, calm down.... :D Read the license agreement : "NLpro may is never to be any form of unhappyness!!!" or something... ;)

And thanks for sticking up for me, Kuifje.

@Wilco: The whole point is that if you're posting that you wont install a program because it will fuck up your OS, you'll scare people away. This is a shame because... well, it's just not true :(

Needless to say, the more people using NLpro the better: everyone will benefit because more functions can be added that just require a majority of the runners to use it for it to work at its best (trade-market for example).

I'd like to put all this to rest now. I'm working on a FULL uninstall solution RIGHT now. Next version will be up *very* soon and will also use the latest version of ItemGFX (if all goes well). Hopes this will fix the problems, and if not: FULL uninstall will do the trick.. ;)

Regards to all,

Bram

Ascension
27-01-04, 18:23
Bramtops dude.. i wanna put the script in ma sig on the orange bar @ the bottom is it possible to do that and if so how?;)

BramTops
27-01-04, 18:43
I *could* do that. But I'll have to customize the entire script for YOUR needs... Hmmm...

But I'm a nice guy... If you'll give me a nice sexy drom and a "please" and I'll give it a shot ;)

Ascension
27-01-04, 18:54
Well i'll have to get a *drom* but for now here is my

***PLEASE*** MR BRAM-TOPS

BramTops
27-01-04, 18:56
Fix your sig image pls, Ascention.. you're violating forum-rules.. :)

Ascension
27-01-04, 19:05
Fix your sig image pls, Ascention.. you're violating forum-rules.. :)

OMG sex :o thats damn nice m8 :) want me 2 put a NCpro launcher icon at the start?

did u have 2 reduce the colours?

BramTops
27-01-04, 19:09
Yes, I've copied the image to the creITive server and had to save it as a PNG. I reduced colours to make the image smaller (to decrease bandwith)

I'm not asking anything in return.. just contact me (PM) if you want another pic as your sig (and don't forget who's ur buddy :D)

If you want the text(s) to say something else or different colours, that can be done to ;) just lemme know.

Ascension
27-01-04, 19:11
Yes, I've copied the image to the creITive server and had to save it as a PNG. I reduced colours to make the image smaller (to decrease bandwith)

I'm not asking anything in return.. just contact me (PM) if you want another pic as your sig (and don't forget who's ur buddy :D)

If you want the text(s) to say something else, that can be done to ;) just lemme know.

how smalls small dude? i can decrease the quality.. but i'd rather keep the colours :)

BTW.. nice job and dont see it as a complaint, just a question if it cant be dont im very greatfull with just this :D

BramTops
27-01-04, 19:16
Well.. it's currently near 30kb... And i'd rather see it smaller.. like 20kb or something. But if it can't be done, it can't be done. But ehm.. you can hardly see any difference between your orignal and this one ;)

But before we start using this thread as a chat-box, lets do this over PM. So send me what you want by PM and we'll sort this out.

If other ppl want this, dont hesitate to ask. Make sure your sig is final coz I'm not gonna upload dozens of new sigs every week though... ;)

Custom sig requests by PM pls... Thanks.

joran420
27-01-04, 19:28
haha at the person saying it might fuck up your system...how many Neocron fucked up my computer threads have you seen? yet you use Neocron anyway :P

yeah NLp is teh sickness havent updated mine since i reinstalled NC so ill prolly do it once the new version is realeased....KK should really talk to bram about paying for his acct for life and just having NLp come as the default installer

J. Folsom
28-01-04, 10:23
Another suggestion, change the image's background colour to the equal of #505050.

I think that's RGB at 80 if you convert it from hex...

Anyway, that way it'll completely blend into the forum background.

See?

Ascension
28-01-04, 10:30
Another suggestion, change the image's background colour to the equal of #505050.

See?

actually yeah thats a good idea :)

Thts the hex code i used when i made forum blended sigs looked so cool :)

naimex
28-01-04, 11:09
Hmm... this might be something stupid..

but does anyone know if it is possible to make one that :

Shows :

-Online Time
-Forum Online Status
-Ingame Server / Char status

Would really rock if you could show if you were ingame playing, and what server/char you were playing..

(Sorry if you think of this as thread hijack.. but it remains as "On Topic")

Ascension
28-01-04, 12:04
Originally posted by naimex
Hmm... this might be something stupid..

but does anyone know if it is possible to make one that :

Shows :

-Online Time
-Forum Online Status
-Ingame Server / Char status

Would really rock if you could show if you were ingame playing, and what server/char you were playing..

(Sorry if you think of this as thread hijack.. but it remains as "On Topic")

Nah seems a good idea.. Maybe Bramtops can do it.. but dont know;)

BramTops
28-01-04, 14:19
Online time? Total? Last run? We already have "last launch" atm... I'm not sure what you mean, but i'm almost sure it can be done.. :)

Forum Online Status wont be possible since I dont have access to the forum SQL-db.

Ingame Server / Char status? What you mean with "status"?

/edit:
PS. Please call me Bram... (Tops is my last name.. :))

BramTops
28-01-04, 14:59

See?
???

Over here, the bar *is* completly merged with the background...

Maybe some strange color-pc-thingy going on (bangs at PS for... agh.. never mind)

I'll make the PNG's transparent so they'll work everywhere later today.. :)

J. Folsom
28-01-04, 15:01
???

Over here, the bar *is* completly merged with the background...

Maybe some strange color-pc-thingy going on (bangs at PS for... agh.. never mind)

I'll make the PNG's transparent so they'll work everywhere later today.. :) It seems slightly to light from me, though since I'm currently on a flat screen computer that might help, as I only really see it I sit in certain positions.

I didn't notice it until today on this computer either...

naimex
28-01-04, 15:46
Online time? Total? Last run? We already have "last launch" atm... I'm not sure what you mean, but i'm almost sure it can be done.. :)

Forum Online Status wont be possible since I dont have access to the forum SQL-db.

Ingame Server / Char status? What you mean with "status"?

/edit:
PS. Please call me Bram... (Tops is my last name.. :))

it would be the same thing..

i meant like you could have a program running and post a pic so that you could use this pic in sig to show ::

User : USERNAME is currently : Online on Forum | Playing as RUNNERNAME on SERVERNAME

something like that :)

KuifJe
28-01-04, 18:03
Originally posted by naimex
it would be the same thing..

i meant like you could have a program running and post a pic so that you could use this pic in sig to show ::

User : USERNAME is currently : Online on Forum | Playing as RUNNERNAME on SERVERNAME

something like that :)

Don't think that's possible unless KK gives Brams access to the login server log (or w/e) that keeps track of people logging in and out. The online status shown in the sig he's currently using is running on his own database (that's a calculated guess btw ;) ). hence why you have to register and login to NLpro.