PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new monitor!!!!!!

ElfinLord
25-01-04, 15:40
Need some help deciding what monitor to buy.

This (http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/ProductDetail.cfm?Product=311&ClassificationFamily=1&Classification=1) is the monitor that I am currently looking to get, but I don't know that much about monitors, so I came here to ask for some advice, again. :)

Is this a decent monitor? Is there another one I should be looking into? Where is a good place to go to buy one?

I've been to newegg.com and got a price for this monitor at $488 which is the price range I am looking to stay in.

BTW, I am mostly interested in LCD's, but if you can convince me that I should go with a 21" CRT and buy a house for a computer desk, then I might go that way. In any case, around $500 is my price range.

Also, can anyone tell me whether or not DVI is any better than Analog for gaming?

As I mostly play Neocron, watch movies and read the forums, keep this in mind when giving advice. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

retr0n
25-01-04, 15:47
Well i'm no expert on monitors but the only thing i know is that
CRT > LCD from what i've heard. People say that if your working
with graphics or playing games CRT is still the way to go and that
LCD/Plasma make the eyes tired and that they arent as sharp as
CRT monitors.

Also that monitor has a max resolution @ 1280x1024x60
wich is pretty bad imo. I use 1600x1200 in windows but i work
with graphics alot.

About Digital/Analog i have no clue.
You might want to go to a local vendor and "try" some monitors
and see what seems the best for you.

//Radium

robinitnow
25-01-04, 15:55
DO you realize that every pixel on the lcd is totally static so when you change the resolution you letter box or it interpolates the picture (seriously bugerd up picture).

I go crt because I can arise around with the resolution all I want, there cheaper and if the sun is in it you can still see what you are doing.

Cliffraiser
25-01-04, 15:59
http://www.iiyama.com/pages/startseite.asp?0|1|0|0|0|0|0|1|7|470

^^ my screen, and its the win :D

ElfinLord
25-01-04, 16:00
I've heard the same thing about CRT vs LCD and games, but I was in CompUSA the other day and watched someone playing some Lord of the Rings game, and it was looking pretty cool to me. :)

About the refresh rate, as I understand it fromsome of the research that I have done, LCD's don't generally have the same problem with "flicker" that CRT's do so it is not as important to have a high refresh rate. The pixel response time is more important. :) Also, this lack of "flicker" actually makes LCD's easier on the eyes than CRT's, iirc.

Thanks for the advice though.

Cliffraiser
25-01-04, 16:01
thing with lcd screens is that when u for instance turn around in a game things go "wuzzy" and dont stay sharp. thats why imo crt is way better for computer games

FirestarXL
25-01-04, 16:40
I would definitely reccomend Iiyama monitors, they are qualilty. :)

MjukisDjur
25-01-04, 17:22
LCD is ok until you compare it side to side with a crt (talking neocron here... in windows nothing beats a lcd imop).
Best example of all is to stand in your app, look at the gogo and move the mouse in little circles. Try it and you will know what I mean. (on all 25ms lcd screens, havent tried the newer ones that are about 15ms...)

You get kind of the same fenomenom as you get when using a videocam at your tv set :)

ElfinLord
25-01-04, 17:50
I have read some information about "ghosting" and "afterglow" in my research about LCD's.

From what I understand it is one of the downsides to using a LCD vs CRT, but not as big a deal with some of the LCD's with faster pixel response times.

While it seems obvious that CRT > LCD for gaming, it also seems that LCD is not that far behind CRT with some of the more expensive and, typically, better quality CRT's.

I think my main concern in all this is size. CRT's use up too much space and they are so god-awfully heavy.

I don't really have the room for a large CRT, and the tank I would have to put it on. This is one of the reasons that I am looking into the LCD.

Anyway, keep the advice coming.

Anyone out there who has actually used both LCD and CRT for Neocron who might be able to offer some advice from experience?

kurai
25-01-04, 18:43
I haven't used an LCD for Neocron specifically, but have with other 3D games ... UT/Q3 etc

Although LCDs are definitely improving they are still aren't great for 3D gaming - even the 15 to 20ms ones. You still get that "fast movement blur" effect. You eventually get used to it, like you would a bad smell (;)), but as soon as you play on a CRT again going back to LCD will be horrible for a while.

It's a balance, really...
LCD > CRT for 2D stuff
CRT > LCD for fast movement gaming.

For movies it's a tough call, but on balance CRT, for the previously mentioned static resolution problems - movie framerate/refreshes aren't fast enough for the motion blur to be an issue on current LCDs.

If you have the room (as you said - you'll need lots, and a sturdy desk) I'd get a 21" CRT.
I use a big ass old beast of a Sony 21" and the thing is a tank, but it's worth it for the big screen real estate @ 1600x1200. More modern 21" tubes aren't quite so deep or heavy, but it's a small difference ... they are still monsters.

Mumblyfish
25-01-04, 19:21
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=47842

Anything else is just daft.

Ormy
25-01-04, 23:21
I have played NC on both a 1280x1024 75Hz 17" LCD and a 1600x1200 85Hz 19" CRT (which i have now). I didn't really notice the LCD kind of blur effect when moving, unless i actually watch for it. I chose the CRT because it just bigger screen, and im not bothered by the weight or it takiing up more space.

People say the eye only works at 30 Hz, but you can easily tell the difference between 60Hz/fps and 85Hz/fps. When i log on it's in 60Hz mode, then it flicks into 85Hz and i notice easily.

If you got the money, invest in a nice LCD, the colours are brighter than a CRT, you wont notice the shudder/blur in most games, and they take up less space. Although they are delicate, I'm accident prone so the 1/2 inch thick glass on my CRT comes in handy, as opposed to 1mm plastic on a LCD.

DonnyJepp
25-01-04, 23:52
http://products.consumerguide.com/cp/electronics/review/index.cfm/id/22626

This is mine, I like it a lot. Viewsonic P225f crt.

$568

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=308&item=766958

metalangel
25-01-04, 23:58
Maybe I've gamed too long on my laptop, but it's got the super-fast refresh screen, so it's as good as any CRT IMHO, and ultra-sharp. The only problem is changing res, some don't look as good as others (it's meant to be used at 1600x1200 byt 800x600 works fine and some others do too) but that is probably a limitation of my screen rather than all LCD screens.

Besides, an LCD takes up a lot less space and looks cool, you can't beat the sharpness over a CRT... so I'd say go for a nice, fast LCD. Make sure it supports other resolutions well, though, and goes to at least 1280xwhatever.