PDA

View Full Version : :-( comp still busted and busy as hell

greploco
24-01-04, 23:58
so what's up?

are server pops lower as people are waiting for DoY? my comp is still busted and I'm very busy.

think it's been about a month now

WebShock
25-01-04, 00:23
so whats the topic of this thread again ???

greploco
25-01-04, 00:30
no topic, just friendly / general conversation about what's happening ingame cause I have no freaking idea when I'll be ingame again, at the moment :(

naimex
25-01-04, 00:36
whats wrong with yer comp ?

greploco
25-01-04, 01:46
hard drive fail, pretty hard too, tried to find a way around it but there wasn't one. it's not too hard to fix, reinstall windows, format, reinstall a whole bunch of stuff -- wash rinse repeat like twenty times. very booring. I would do it but no time. have thought about just buying a new pc, but not sure if want to spend the money.

naimex
25-01-04, 02:08
lol ::

Memory Load Sector 44437467 ::

Harddrive failures :

1. - Hard drive is breaking up -> buy new hdd
2. - partition failure -> re-partition
3. - storage failure -> re-partition -> format -> still a problem ? -> /goto .1

WebShock
25-01-04, 10:08
well when you do finally fix whatever the issue is, it would seem to be the best idea if you made a image of your puter. sounds like you dont like doing manual installs. this is probably the best route. 30 minutes of reloading eveything off a dvd disc or 2 cd-r's than 4-5 hours of manual reinstall.

no need to spend thousands on a new pc when you can get a HDD for 100 bux or something

greploco
25-01-04, 21:39
no, I don't like doing all this crap - it was interesting and cool at one time, but after a while I'd just sort of like it to work and not bother me.

I tried using a promise raid card for a little while, but at the time it seemed to be more trouble for what it's worth. for some reason it bumped my various drives out of higher speed access modes, irritating.

webshock -- that sounds great. Is it possible to make an image file of my OS partition? hmm, wonder how one would do that.

I think I might go back to a raid environment when I get up and running. hopefully the promise stuff will work better in win 2k.

man, computers work and are cool and all that -- but they are pretty freaking fragile. about six months before this my comp was totally inert. that usually means power supply, I was lucky to have one just lying around so it didn't bother me. It's not like I'm buying crap equipment either, I buy stuff that comes reccomeded.

greploco
25-01-04, 21:42
btw, the drive fail was not a total HD failure. basicly some sectors and OS files got bunged somehow in a serious way. I get about 1/2 way through booting up and it craps out. I've done everything to try and work around it and repair it. no luck.