PDA

View Full Version : city backdrop

Rith
24-01-04, 20:13
just a thought really...

the entrance to neocron looks cool, but it would look even cooler with a backdrop of the city towering up... right now It looks like a 28th century city consists of 5 story buildings...?

DOY too...

Not sure how feasible it would be, but given the scale of the city and the distance relative to the entrance, couldn't the backdrop be a 2D image?

Rithy

ezza
24-01-04, 20:15
it would look cool if it was a towering city, like in the original picture for what was going to be the front cover of neocron

Leebzie
24-01-04, 20:53
Yea, Even if they are places you cant really go (anyway, a lot of stuff is abandoned skyscrapers and just apt complexes you wouldnt go to)

Rith
24-01-04, 22:05
they could stick a 2D image from the wastelands - anytime you enter zones around Neocron you see the city in the distance towering up

once your inside city - above elevator areas you could stick a skyscraper - might help explain the tardis effect for those elevators :)

metalangel
24-01-04, 22:55
Hmmm, if I understand it, all the zones surrounding the city mostly see the Outzone, which in typical urban sprawl style, is all low-rise brick buildings, certainly not what you'd be able to see much of from below (the city is also built on a very high cliff). All the really really tall buildings, meanwhile, are towards the sea. You only really get a sense of this in Viarosso 2 (or whichever one overlooks the ocean).

But yeah, and again I restate my desire for a 'city skyline' graphic visible out the windows of your apartments, as opposed to just... mist.

El Barto
25-01-04, 04:27
Sweet idea m8

Rith
25-01-04, 12:58
Originally posted by metalangel
Hmmm, if I understand it, all the zones surrounding the city mostly see the Outzone, which in typical urban sprawl style, is all low-rise brick buildings, certainly not what you'd be able to see much of from below (the city is also built on a very high cliff). All the really really tall buildings, meanwhile, are towards the sea. You only really get a sense of this in Viarosso 2 (or whichever one overlooks the ocean).

thats true - but most cities are built with urban sprawls surrounding them - but you can still see the sky scrapers towering in the distance... Chicago's skyline is visible for miles (tho michigan has to be the flat'est, dull'est landscape in the world) - New York the same... hell even SF and thats built on some of the daftest hills ever :)

If the introduced this with DOY then they could include the Dome backdrop for DOY whilst NC gets the 400 storey skyscraper effects?

If nothing else, it would add a little to the atmosphere in the waste - seeing a massive city towering in the distance would make it feel less like a jaunt around the yorkshire moors when your in J02 :)

Rithy

metalangel
25-01-04, 19:46
True, but don't forget, the world is very foggy (radioactive dust?) and when you are in the zones adjacent to the city, the city itself is up on this plateau thing ABOVE you, so the tall buildings might not be tall enough to be seen beyond the ridge.

But yes, you're right, back home in Toronto, the CN Tower is rather like the ring in Ringworld or the sky in Halo, it's always visible in the sky.

And no, it wouldn't take much to add some kind of entity to the sky to float around, like the sun graphic, to the zones around the City. If anything, it would look really cool at night to see the lit buildings up ahead. And I always imagine the DoY to look like a cross between the supercomputer in Space Quest IV, and the domes in Riven.