PDA

View Full Version : Hey PPUs....do you enjoy OP fights?

RayBob
24-01-04, 16:24
I've never been on the "nerf PPUs" bandwagon but I am starting to think that most PPUs are getting tired of playing their characters, especially during OP fights. Their role is so crucial and people are constantly hassling them for buffs. I have seen so many PPUs log off or even quit because of the pressure.

Maybe we would all be better off if they eliminated PPUs entirely. Give all characters the ability to apply their own buffs, shields, and heals. Obviously not at the PPU strength level but at a fairly strong level (perhaps blessed).

I know this will never happen but...

Candaman
24-01-04, 16:29
*cough STFU cough*

I love playing PPU in a op fite cus it gives me something to do its the inbetween times i'm bored op fites to me are a challenge .

Can u keep ur team alive?
Can u keep urself alive?
Can u see the rite time to leave/advance?

PPU is always the last to leave on a retreat and he tries to keep as many alive as he can that is the fun part. As for get rid of ppu's completely get a life

-Demon-
24-01-04, 16:35
I think PPU is a tough job, people always whining at you etc. I don't play a PPU personally but it must be tough.

A support class is always gonna be stressful to play, but you have to balance things right I think.

Making all characters buff themselves would cause more problems than it would solve i think and balancing would need to be redone again.

Nah keep the PPUs, but respect your PPUs more I think is the key.

Jest
24-01-04, 16:38
I love playing my PPU too. Granted Im not that great with him and he is kind of gimp, but I have a lot of fun with him.

PreX
24-01-04, 16:43
i love playing my ppu ;)

i like to support and help my clan m8
X_X

$tormbringer
24-01-04, 16:56
yep i like to play my ppu in opfights...

why?...

u cant get killed when u r good....
u can support your team... -> hard job but its cool to see how the supported ppl kill an entire army without big probs.... ^^

and... i dont like to lvl myself so i just watch the ppl killing the mobs and i get my xp ^^

Shadow Dancer
24-01-04, 17:05
Goood question. After a long battle yesterday, I asked one of my clan ppus if he liked being a ppu. I asked him because he did a tremendous job IMO and was protecting me very well. He said he loved being a ppu, he loved being godly.

rofl

Yes their roles are crucial. Too crucial imo. ;)

Possessed
24-01-04, 17:09
People who play PPUs just to be godly are playing PPUs for the wrong reason... the whole point of PPUs is too keep people alive, and if that's not the reason someone (enjoys) playing a PPU then they should probably reroll...

WebShock
24-01-04, 17:31
i love my capped ppu. i love op fights with him. i gotta say the only thing i like more than my ppu is a capped apu whose got a ppu who can defend him without him having to ask for buffs. those 2 are unstoppable then.

40$Poser
24-01-04, 17:37
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Goood question. After a long battle yesterday, I asked one of my clan ppus if he liked being a ppu. I asked him because he did a tremendous job IMO and was protecting me very well. He said he loved being a ppu, he loved being godly.

rofl

Yes their roles are crucial. Too crucial imo. ;)

let the nerf ppus cry begin in this thread. (clapping)

Anyways... as I have a ppu. Yes it gets a bit annoying, but it's fun to take on the challenge of buffing your clan and keeping yourself alive plus rezzing those who died to try and help your clan win the fight. Most fun thing to do as a ppu to be honest.

mcouillard
24-01-04, 17:47
I MUCH prefer playing my rifle spy over PPU. But what do I always end up having to play? The PPU of course. It's not like I have a choice...

Candaman
24-01-04, 19:45
join teh gang

Mumblyfish
24-01-04, 19:48
Originally posted by mcouillard
I MUCH prefer playing my rifle spy over PPU. But what do I always end up having to play? The PPU of course. It's not like I have a choice...

I miss Coo at op battles :(

Spy > Monk

QuantumDelta
24-01-04, 19:50
I loved my PPU I loved the tactics involved in keeping people AND myself alive at the same time, it was a great thing to play.
It only got a bit anal when people starting bringing 2495734985734956490583 APUs to try to kill me.
Of course vs that many APUs I couldn't keep my clan mates alive so it ended up being them chase me around the op while I try to get my team up until eventually I run out of boosters or someone exp........ I mean noob buffs me.

Mr_Snow
24-01-04, 19:51
I enjoyed PPUing at ops when Im only looking after 2 or 3 people and when my buffs dont lag when being shot by a rhino.

Lifewaster
24-01-04, 20:27
I just wish the "long buffs" would actually last a bit longer.

I recently lommed to PPU and the 2 OP fights I did were very unfun atm.

Carinth
24-01-04, 20:45
Most people get enjoyment out of a challenge and doing something that actualy depends on your skills. PPU's offer all of this and more. You can imagine a ppu as more of a general for the team. Not only does he help people out and receive praise for it, he also is the crucial factor in deciding the outcome of the fight. Every action a ppu does has to be taken into consideration, you have to weigh the benefits of different actions. Should you ressurect a fallen apu, or should you concentrate on keeping the rest healed/buffed, or should you go after the enemies with shock/boost. With ressurects so long now, you also hafta decide if your buffs are recent enough to chance a ressurect, otherwise they will go down while you're rezzing. It's crazy how much a ppu has to be aware of during a fight. One of my better memories was against Pete, he had FF and I had Pimp, our teams were about the same. Notice I refer to the fight as vs him, because that's really what it was. We were doing everythin in our power to kill the other ppu. Buff an APU and send him out, shock a tank that's going after your apu, avoid the apu he sent after you, rez a tank to help protect you. The fight went on for a loooong time, as we were both evenly matched. Finnaly I realized that I wasn't being attacked anymore and I prompty ressurected the rest of my team and went out to find Pete being chased by my team with all but one of his team dead. The best comparison is it's like chess, except you have 5 seconds to make your move, and you are the king and queen all the important pieces in one.

This is the also the problem. It begins to wear on you after being a ppu for months on end. Rather then seeing it as a positive that you decide the outcome of the fight, you beging to see it as a negative. The fight is entirely on you, if you mess up the team loses. Nothing anyone else on the team does, aside from killing the enemy ppu, matters if you screw up. The pressure it puts on you can turn op fights sour. It's especialy awful when you are the only ppu for your team. I am at the moment completely burned out as a ppu. For a couple months I've liked op fights less and less, only having fun in pepper park fights. I've recently started helping again, but its mostly just to help my team. It's nice when we win, but I don't get the personal satisfaction, I'm just happy I didn't mess up. Honestly being God is awesome for a while, but soon the responsibility/stress get to you. You're nolonger there because you're having fun, you're there because your team needs you. Many ppu's prolly disagree with me, but I didn't think I would ever tire of being a ppu either. It is/was my ideal class, I've tried out other monk variations and always came back to being a ppu.

Thankfully hybrids will be possible again next patch, it's time for a change : )

Possessed
24-01-04, 20:54
Pete never fought with FF... you must be thinking of the TA times

Psycho Killa
24-01-04, 21:15
The only time I really enjoy my ppu is large scale op fights.

Everything else is boring.

Leveling... *Yawn*
Pepper park *YAwn*
Small few people against a few people *Yawn* To easy.

The busier I am the more exciting it is.

ezza
24-01-04, 21:26
Originally posted by Psycho Killa

Pepper park *YAwn*

if only all PPUs felt like that about PP then they wouldnt go there and interfere in my fun:mad:

alig
24-01-04, 21:33
I love my ppu.....i can do the same to ppl wot ppl have done to me with him, really piss ppl of laffing at there puny hl/cs/gun :D if someone asks for a lvl3 boost except for the hp boost i have in my bar a simple "i dont have them" shuts them up...ffs i mean does a capped tank need hc3? like 200+ hc isnt enuf or a pe or spy or wotever...the only class i think needs an extra boost is an apu and thats hp booster+melee3

ezza
24-01-04, 21:34
Originally posted by alig
I love my ppu.....i can do the same to ppl wot ppl have done to me with him, really piss ppl of laffing at there puny hl/cs/gun :D if someone asks for a lvl3 boost except for the hp boost i have in my bar a simple "i dont have them" shuts them up...ffs i mean does a capped tank need hc3? like 200+ hc isnt enuf or a pe or spy or wotever...the only class i think needs an extra boost is an apu and thats hp booster+melee3 remind me not to come to you for buffs when cartel are op fighting then

alig
24-01-04, 21:40
Originally posted by ezza
remind me not to come to you for buffs when cartel are op fighting then

ive had to leave cartel, someone in cartel that i got killed after cartel killed the apu i was lvn'n with wasnt happy so i put his sadness to a halt and left....dont want to upset himo_O

2ply
24-01-04, 23:17
PPU is one of the most stressful classes to play. Period. First, in op fights, you normally have to carry 15 buffs, besides the ones for youself. Then you gotta be constantly switching around your primes(heat3/haz3,hc3,pc3,hc3 ect...). Then with 5 people kneeling down at your legs, you feel like you have to hurry up and buff them. And when you DON'T buff them in 5 seconds, they get pissy with you. 'The hell are my buffs?' 'Jesus Christ your a shitty ppu'. And when you don't get that heal off at the right time in a battle with 10 fps, watch out.

In other words, to all the 'Nerf the PPU!' idiots, get a life. If you get rid of PPUs, there goes the days of half an hour op fights. Hellllo 2 minute fights! Yeah! FUN!

Possessed
24-01-04, 23:22
Before PPUs the op fights were probably longer than they are now, because people were actually careful, now its mainly just a mad kamikaze rush, a little less so with the rez nerf though.

Also, people shouldn't expect to get combat or support buffs during an op war, only resist buffs (and thats heat), because resists buffs are the only truly necessary buff for an op war, the others are just luxuries.

Psycho Killa
24-01-04, 23:24
Op fights where longer when ppus werent around so please dont ever use that argument ever again.

Particular example a battle between the forces of tg and friends vs tangent and friends at soliko.

Fight lasted around 4 hours or more at times with 30 to 40 people on each side out of all of them there was me and one other hybrid for a while on the tg side and 3 or 4 hybrids on the other side.

4 hours is of course not all the time but typicaly op fights did last 30 minutes or longer they where only short fights when an inferior force tried to take an op.

deac
25-01-04, 02:14
Originally posted by Possessed
Before PPUs the op fights were probably longer than they are now, because people were actually careful, now its mainly just a mad kamikaze rush, a little less so with the rez nerf though.

wrong...

back in tankocron fights lasted a very short time...

10 tanks meet.... lots of cs fire... dead winners gets to gr to the op and get pack.... thats how the fights whent down... or get rezz by a hyb....................

op fights today last MUCH longer

Psycho Killa
25-01-04, 02:41
Sure if your stupid enough to rush into a defended place your not going to last very long.

Or if your not smart enough to use strategy while defending of course you would be raped by a better force.

deac
25-01-04, 20:54
Originally posted by Psycho Killa
Sure if your stupid enough to rush into a defended place your not going to last very long.

Or if your not smart enough to use strategy while defending of course you would be raped by a better force.

a lot of ops really aint setup for defense... like grant ceres mine avanger and so on......

\\Fényx//
25-01-04, 21:04
Soliko is the only OP setup for defence imo, and maybe eastgate and malstrond, but those 2 are depending on turret placement

deac
25-01-04, 21:12
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Soliko is the only OP setup for defence imo, and maybe eastgate and malstrond, but those 2 are depending on turret placement

yes and those 3 ops is the only place a line of aoe tanks really matter

great ops to fight at

Shadow Dancer
25-01-04, 21:19
You wanna know what op ain't set up for defense?

Gabanium.

Talk about exposure. :lol:

\\Fényx//
25-01-04, 21:27
Originally posted by deac

great ops to fight at

Hawkins is pretty good to fight over aswell as is tristar, those 2 have the same kinda tight enterance with like a courtyard to fight in after the attackers manage to push in, also good for fights, but better for attackers ...

However the defenders rarely have the advantage atm as it is ... Main problem is the fact you go into the UG then its instant death in the ownage soup of barrels as you zone out and most likely fatal lol

2ply
25-01-04, 21:33
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Hawkins is pretty good to fight over aswell as is tristar, those 2 have the same kinda tight enterance with like a courtyard to fight in after the attackers manage to push in, also good for fights, but better for attackers ...

I. Hate. Attacking. Tristar.

It's a huge bitch. One enterence, put up 2 stuns at the enterence(the court yard type thing) and bam, it's over for the attackers. Defenders just have to get enough APUs with barrels to run up, barrel down the ramp a few times, run back in for heals/buffs.

I like attacking ops like jeriko or mcp :P

QuantumDelta
26-01-04, 08:43
Emmerson is kinda the same :p
Defencive.
The only thing that spoilt it is gone now because APUs can't snipe HL from the hill anymore(I think? never tested)

ezza
26-01-04, 13:16
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Defencive.
The only thing that spoilt it is gone now because APUs can't snipe HL from the hill anymore(I think? never tested) from the battles ive had they didnt seem able to snipe anymore

Carinth
26-01-04, 19:40
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Defencive.
The only thing that spoilt it is gone now because APUs can't snipe HL from the hill anymore(I think? never tested)

At the moment holy halo has the range to snipe from uptop, I can do it with my holy para halo (321m range) : ) That's going to be fixed next patch though.

bounty
26-01-04, 19:50
Originally posted by deac

great ops to fight at

hawkins too if you are talking about offense that is, you can get destroyed by tank aoe at hawkins if they have enough fire power.