PDA

View Full Version : cron on 56k

funkeymonkey
23-01-04, 17:48
Moving back to university tomorrow and ive reactivated my dail up net account for it. Was just woundering what neocron is like on 56k? Can you fight properly in op wars? Does it get you killed much while your lvling? Does it syncronise anymore than it does on broadband? (though im guessing most of the syncronising thing people get is server side).

Cheers

DonnyJepp
23-01-04, 17:52
broadband is always preferable, but the game doesn't require fast pings or high thoroughput so it generally plays well via dialup I'm told.

You ought to be able to level a char just find via dialup without problems.

Psyco Groupie
23-01-04, 17:53
syncing can take a wee bit longer when zones populated ... so no UG hoping or zone hugging otherwise u get killed zoning back :)

other than that .. 56k is fine :)

*edit ... can we get the word 'broadband' censored .. its such a disgusting pc world term ... *shudders*

funkeymonkey
23-01-04, 17:58
lol cheers guys will give it a try. My cron account runs out on the 26th so ive got a few days to test it. I might be on tomorrow if im not too wasted hehe :)

GT_Rince
23-01-04, 17:59
I played on 56k for almost 6 months - and not just any old 56K... AOL 56K o_O

If anything, I found it more stable than broadband :D Never had any problem with OpFights or Lvling - the game performed as you would expect it.

All I can say is that AOL 56K is NOT as bad as peeps say :)

Dade Murphey
23-01-04, 18:28
I played for a couple nites going thru AOL and it wasn't too shabby really...I zoned at about the same speed...my ping was about doubled at 280-340 my bandwidth was about 150-300 and a couple times higher depending where I was at...but all in all it wasn't bad

REMUS
23-01-04, 18:34
i get quite nasty lag spikes, its always better on broad badn but it is playable.

p.s use the search function this has been thru the forums about 4-5 times.

Timster
23-01-04, 20:12
im ok 64k isdn (prolly best route for your dialup line).

and it plays fine.

before this, i had a 3mb line, and it plays exactly the same.

so proving that any lag or errors isnt the hardware or the line - but neocron itself

rob444
24-01-04, 00:01
I've played with modem and it works better than my two other connections (both 512kbit), the modemstalls is a pain in the ass though and not to mention that my ISP disconnected me every 4th hour :P

Dribble Joy
24-01-04, 00:05
Student.... At Uni... without BroadBand? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit man a 1 meg cable line is fuck all between a few of you.

Colt Starling
24-01-04, 00:08
Originally posted by GT_Rince
I played on 56k for almost 6 months - and not just any old 56K... AOL 56K o_O

If anything, I found it more stable than broadband :D Never had any problem with OpFights or Lvling - the game performed as you would expect it.

All I can say is that AOL 56K is NOT as bad as peeps say :)

Yea I play with same AOL 56K... only reason I'm with AOL is becuase I cant find another unmetered dial up that dont kick you off after 2 hours and dont limit your online time.

Since i'm too far from the exchange *cough* I cant get broadband.

I have to say I dont have any probs palying on 56K at all.

I'm sure I will see a hughe difference when BT eventually get the finger out, but what you dont have, you dont miss :D

Psyco Groupie
24-01-04, 00:34
D S L / C A B L E ... or anything else but broadband ffs ... GRR!

QuantumDelta
24-01-04, 00:44
Ironically, there are some advantages of playing with 56k.
Advantages over broadband that is...

funkeymonkey
24-01-04, 01:46
Cheers guys ill give it a try.

Dribble Joy i live in privatly owned halls of residence (a big old building with rats and dirt cheap rooms). Me and my mates there have looked into adsl but turned out we couldnt get it.

Next term when im getting a house with some mates, were going for 2mb :)

extract
24-01-04, 04:39
I play on 56k, I get fast zone times everywhere, my ping is the only thing thats kinda iffy, its usually around 280-330 and I have noticed no delay on changins spells/weapons like you get when theres bad lag......oh and not sure that its related, but I seem to fatal tons less now that Im on dial up(however Im assured this is just a coincidence)

Painkiller Jane
24-01-04, 05:21
i had played Beta4 only with 56k modem. And it runs i thing same good then today with dsl:rolleyes: