PDA

View Full Version : My computer is still broken

Clownst0pper
23-01-04, 16:27
Like most of you suggested, I should reformat my computer.

I did, have installed all new Graphics card drivers, installed directx 9.0, reinstalled neocron, yet Neocron still is running as if I have a pentium one, it still has stupidly high Ping and low FPS.

And along with this, when going through folders, the bars on the left of the open folders 'such as create new folder' etc etc go up and down really slowly, as if I dont have a graphics card installed.

Yet my graphics card is being recognised on device manager, so is my system specs.

I have run every virus check + the stinger program, I am also using zone alarm, before and after reformatting, and nothing has been found.

This is really bizzare as 2 days ago my computer was perfect, a day later after leaving it on standby over night, and comming back to it, something has caused it to run at a snails pace.

Yet my internet browsers run fine. *sigh* :(

Anyone else got some fresh ideas? :(

Willisit
23-01-04, 16:34
Mine is dead too.. but for physical device failure (so I need to spend money :rolleyes: )

How if your IP address assigned to you? Are you on a DSL/Broadband service?

Long shot but your PC may be being targetted over and over by spyware/spam bots. Even after rebuilding - your PC is suddenly full of clever little progs making your life hell. I've seen it before but it was a weird case.

Other than that you may simply have a faulty device (be it your internet connection, g/c or even hard disk).

Hope you sort it soon.

shodanjr_gr
23-01-04, 16:38
Its a longshot but try reseting your bios settings, maybe something fubared them....and caused all that instability/crappy performance you are getting.

Nidhogg
23-01-04, 16:39
Are you being DDOSed? If you have something like Kerio check the intrusion log and look for Teardrop DOS attack or similar. Incidentally, please don't use swear words in thread titles - it's the only place we don't allow them. Thanks.

N

Clownst0pper
23-01-04, 16:42
Are you being DDOSed?

No idea what that is.

[QUOTE]If you have something like Kerio check the intrusion log and look for Teardrop DOS attack or similar.QUOTE]

Not to my knowledge.

Babes
23-01-04, 16:46
DOS = Denial of Service Attack I think

Nidhogg
23-01-04, 16:46
Distributed Denial of Service. Basically it's a way for someone with a grudge against you to totally gimp your network connection. Someone was doing it to me over Christmas (it's amazing how bitter and childish some people can be) so I downloaded Kerio's free firewall which has excellent intrusion detection built in.

N

/edit - a lot of routers detect DOS attacks and simply ignore packets from that origin. This is why the DDOS (Distributed DOS) attack is so deadly - the packets come from hundreds if not thousands of infected so-called "zombie" machines out there on the net. Routers have a far harder time dealing with stuff like that.

Everyone check their machines to see if they are a zombie! :p

Clownst0pper
23-01-04, 17:06
Distributed Denial of Service. Basically it's a way for someone with a grudge against you to totally gimp your network connection. Someone was doing it to me over Christmas (it's amazing how bitter and childish some people can be) so I downloaded Kerio's free firewall which has excellent intrusion detection built in.

Im using zone alarm at the moment, think its worth me downloading this Kerio also? :confused:

Nidhogg
23-01-04, 17:20
Kerio analyses the incoming traffic, detects and then blocks attacks. Zone Alarm does not have this functionality afaik. I uninstalled Zone Alarm and replaced it with Kerio.

N