PDA

View Full Version : A solution to the quickbelt problem

Fawkes
22-01-04, 17:57
This idea is sort of like what other people have already suggested – a second quickbelt, but not exactly. Keep reading, I think it’s a good idea. :p

Today when I went home from school my friend and I were talking about SW: KotOR, and when I explained to him something about the inventory HUD, I was thinking: hey, we should have this in Neocron, it could solve a few problems. Imagine playing an APU and not having to refill your quickbelt with psi boosters all the time. Imagine playing a PPU and having more room for your spells because you won't need to waste 3 slots for psi boosters anymore. Imagine playing any class and not having to stop moving in a middle of a fight for 5 seconds to put another antishock pill in your quickbelt and after using it, getting parashocked again so you have to waste another 5 seconds and stand still. My idea, hopefully, will solve these problems.

In KotOR, you have an inventory screen:

http://photopile.com/photos/Fawkes/onoz/84787.jpg

Sort of a quickbelt:

http://personal.zahav.net.il/personalsite/sp/spievk/quickbelt.jpg

And an additional "temporary items" quickbelt (woot look at my leet jedi >.<):

http://personal.zahav.net.il/personalsite/sp/spievk/additional_belt.jpg

By "temporary items", I'm referring to items such as medkits, boosters (like drugs in NC, but with no side effects) and the like ("temporary", because you can only use them once, of course). In KotOR, you don't have to put these items in your "quickbelt" (I know you can't really call it a quickbelt but I'm trying to compare NC's HUD to KotOR's ^_^), but once you add them to your inventory, they are automatically put into your second quickbelt. So I was thinking we should have another quickbelt in neocron with 3 slots:

First slot will be holding simple medkits and advanced medkits (but no food, because there's too much and besides, who uses food in battle?).
Second slot will be holding psi boosters and stamina boosters.
Third slot will be holding antipills (antishock, antidote & damage blocker).
The "temporary items" will still appear in your inventory to make it easier dropping them and handling them.

(I don't think there should be a slot for drugs because no one uses them in a middle of a fight or as often as they use medkits, antipills or psi/sta boosters.)

Each slot will be bound with a key, just like the normal quickbelt which is normally used with the 1, 2, 3… 0 keys, but this additional quickbelt will have only 3 keys. For example, I would choose: V (medkit), B (psi/sta booster), and N (antipill).

The additional quickbelt will be positioned in the upper left side of the screen, like this:

http://personal.zahav.net.il/personalsite/sp/spievk/additional_belt2.jpg

leet ms-paint skillz o=

The little arrows on each side of the item will allow you to browse through your “temporary items”. For example, if you want to have a stamina booster instead of a psi booster in your 2nd slot, all you have to do is click one of the little arrows and it will change. Of course, this won’t solve the problem, as you will still have to stop moving, open RPOS and click the arrow. So I was thinking there should be a key combination to switch items, something like: Alt+V+MouseScroll to browse through medkits. Yeah, it’s a bit complicated but I couldn't think of anything better, but it doesn’t really matter, since the original idea was to be able to consume an antishock pill, for example, with just a click of a key and not waste precious time on opening RPOS, moving items from slot to slot and doing so over and over again. I’m sure people won’t be browsing through items in a middle of a fight anyway, since we all use only one set of temporary items. Oh, well, at least I do. :D I use medkits, stamina boosters and antishock pills only (as a PE).

The big arrows to the right of the item’s slot will open a menu in which all the items of the same type will appear. For example, if you have all the 3 types of antipills and you don’t want to browse through all of them, you can just click the big arrow to see them all and choose one of them more quickly. Not really useful in battle but still handy when you want to switch antipills quickly when you’re not fighting. See the next image for an example:

http://personal.zahav.net.il/personalsite/sp/spievk/additional_belt_menu.jpg

What do you think? o=

Clyde
22-01-04, 18:04
why not just have useable items have kinda like a desktop shortcut. itll still take up a spot on your qb, but for example

Psi booster 3, you drag one over to your QB but instead of it saying 3 above it, it will have kinda like a shortcut arrow to it, so youll be able to use as many psi boosters as you have in your inventory simple as that, same goes for meds and drugs, whenever you drag it over to your qb that it.

While theyre at it, make it so you can bind more than 4 mouse keys to something. Currently you only able to bind 4.

Fawkes
22-01-04, 18:10
ooh, that's a good idea, more simple than mine too. o=

Ascension
22-01-04, 18:11
Originally posted by Clyde
why not just have useable items have kinda like a desktop shortcut. itll still take up a spot on your qb, but for example

Psi booster 3, you drag one over to your QB but instead of it saying 3 above it, it will have kinda like a shortcut arrow to it, so youll be able to use as many psi boosters as you have in your inventory simple as that, same goes for meds and drugs, whenever you drag it over to your qb that it.

While theyre at it, make it so you can bind more than 4 mouse keys to something. Currently you only able to bind 4.

Yeah theres a feature like this on SW:G (note) some 1 told me:lol:

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 18:23
Anything which helps me use more than one Anti shock drug, instead of going into my inventory every time is a good thing, im down.

o=o=o=o==o=o=o=o=oo=o

D::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Fawkes
22-01-04, 18:33
onz o==oo=o=o=o=o=o=o=

greendonkeyuk
22-01-04, 18:48
what about jus letting ALL of the boosters youre carrying of a certain type STACK in your quickbelt the same as they do in the inventory.

shodanjr_gr
22-01-04, 19:12
I had posted something similar to this some time ago...

But it got flamed to death by people who believed it would overpower monks.....:rolleyes:

El Barto
22-01-04, 19:15

That would be nice.

rob444
23-01-04, 02:01
I think my idea is much easier :/

Alt+1 to Alt+2 gives you two different sets of the quickacessbelt, easy :)

Fawkes
23-01-04, 08:05
Nah, I think Clyde's idea is much better (than mine, too). If you had another quickbelt, like you're proposing, yeah, you would have more room for your stuff, but eventually you will still have to refill your 2 QB's with psi boosters all the time as APU or you will still have to stop in a middle of a battle to put another antipill in one of your QB's as any other class, etc...

Or are you proposing a key combination to switch between the normal quickbelt and the additional "temporary items" quickbelt (3 slots) and vice versa? hmm, nice idea... but still, I like Clyde's better.

mdares
23-01-04, 08:12
i posted the same thing 6 months ago... 3 "consumables" slots... where consumables (boosters, medis, drugs, etc.) could be auto reloaded...

got lotsa support but it got roled over...

lets try it agian... GOOD IDEA! 5 stars!

TheEnemy
23-01-04, 08:34
Fawkes, the screen position you suggested might conflict with a minimap and vehicle infos that already sit in that spot.

There are lots of good ideas, they should implement at least one solution. If they put in the auto-replenishing consumables (or stacking consumables) then I think they also should put in 3 extra QB slots accessed with -, = and backspace keys. Actually I'd like those extra slots, and Fawkes' idea. The more slots we have for items the merrier, because as it is now I really need at least 12 slots for non-drug items.

[TgR]KILLER
23-01-04, 11:34

would be cool for an APU.. i just carry 2 things atm.. energy beam and a holy energy barrel.. all other slots are psi boosters or medkits atm.. but when i will get to pvp level i can use like any drug in the QB.. 1 slot for psi boosters 1 for sta 1 for medkit 1 for antishock 1 for anti db etc etc..

Lifewaster
23-01-04, 18:39
I'd say just boost the stacking on med/psi/drugs

Introduce new versions of them at 10 * price , "enhanced psi booster" with 10 charges etc....

Same with antishock drugs and medkits.....might help against the parashock problem also

Actually, why not intruduce tools that use these items as ammo.
So you could have a medkit application tool that can reload to 20 charges from meds in your inv etc.

Anna
23-01-04, 19:12
the idea is good, ive played kotor too, and its inventory pwnz that of nc

but put it on the top right instead of left, the minimap is allready there :p

Disturbed021
23-01-04, 19:25
Originally posted by Lifewaster

Actually, why not intruduce tools that use these items as ammo.
So you could have a medkit application tool that can reload to 20 charges from meds in your inv etc.

Hey I really like that idea.
It would kinda suck for my APU to have to pull out a tool to disperse a PSI booster, but it would save several qb slots and makes quite a bit of sense.

Also, would give ppl some new toys to spend money on (I have over 10 million nc and nothing to spend it on o_O :( )

rob444
24-01-04, 00:03
Nah what I ment about my idea is that if you have the default qb on (alt+1) and you press alt+2, the qb will be cleared and you can put in 10 new stuff and just switch between the two sets with Alt+1 & Alt+2. I hope you understand what I mean, otherwise I'll just have to photoshop it all :/