PDA

View Full Version : OK this is still getting stupid.

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 14:54
My computer is still screwed over.

ive Reverted back to a system restore point, and the same still occurs.

I log into Neocron, all is fine, my Ping is low, and my FPS is high.

2 minutes in, my Ping goes from 70 to 200+ and my FPS drops from 40 to about 4

ive cleaned the inside of my tower, and cleaned the fan (which is still making a funny clicking noise) and it makes no difference.

A good friend of mine says ping has nothing to do with FPS, but why does FPS go down when my Ping goes up?

And why after afew minutes? Ive stopped all my utilities running in the background, including PP sharing, however, I donot have a virus checker.

Only the windows one.

Needing some more help or links guys.

Neocron was perfect yesterday, somethings changed over night :(

Lathuc
22-01-04, 14:59
you tried formatting?

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 15:02
you tried formatting?

No point, It was recently done.

From leaving my computer on last night (disconnected from the internet) (I left my computer on standby) to going on it this morning @ about 10:30 Neocron is bollocksing up. Its as simple as that, ive yet to try another game as im using Stinger the trojan searcher, but I will in a moment. :( :( :( :( :(

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:07
You tried HijackThis, m8? It's a harmless little program that has helped me many times.

Is it after 2 mins all the time, or is it quicker sometimes?

If you havent tried yet, I'd say you should give your comp a good going over with tools from www.majorgeeks.com. Whichever you find appropriate.

Try Stinger also. That's a McAfee virus-scanner, that only searches for specific nasty vira. If you still havent got it working, by the time I get home, I'll post some links to programs I've had good experiences with.

The overnight thing (that this problem wasn't there yesterday) could suggest that you got a small nasty program on your comp sometime yesterday while surfing, or that you have a trojan on your comp that someone is now using to make your comp go slow by using it for some purpose.

Also, could it not be a SYN flood attack (DenialOfService attack). I had one of those once. It's simply people sending buttloads of fragmented files to your comp in an attempt to make it crash. These usually stop in a few days, when the people causing the SYN floods move on to other comp's.

Most likely, though, is that it's some harmless thing, probably your ISP or something. :)

P.S. Stinger only searches for relatively few trojans (the really nasty ones).

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 15:09
HijackThis

Link for it? :confused:

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:10
www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Be sure to delete things carefully with this, as it also lists harmless things. Search google for a message board that talks about HijackThis, and you can post the list you get from HJT there, and nice people will tell you if anything is wrong. Also, you can post it here if you want, and I'll try to help you with it. :)

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 15:15
OK, thanks randall, but I havnt a clue with all this stuff.

And now my start button on desktop has become disabled.... :(

Nightbrother
http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/

Also post your problem here, m8. These guys are way smart in this department, and someone there WILL be able to help you.

Finl
try adware, its easy soft to use from case like this,

http://www.lavasoft.de/

just run it by manual setting and it will show how many "bad things" you have on your comp :)

oh and it will allso delete them :)

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:16
Be sure to only delete items with HijackThis that spring in your eyes as being bad. Not everything. If you did delete everything, then tell me, and I'll find out how to make it better again.

Post the list of the things you found with HijackThis here, if you can, m8.
------------------------------------------------------------
A transcript from another site:
"If you delete everything in HJT you will effectively disable any of your programs that start with windows including legit ones such as firewall, antivirus, etc....not recommended!
If that is what you did...start HJT again> config> backups> restore what you need from the list you see. (by default HJT backs up anything you "fix") "

Dade Murphey
22-01-04, 15:17
if you want to do a virus check you can go to www.symantec.com and go to Security Responce...then click on check for security risks...then you can run the online virus check...or you could also move to install the free trial...you get like a month of norton free...or 14 days...something like that...try defragmenting also...and if you changed video drivers roll them back a bit...I'm using older drivers on my GF4 because those new ones screwed my shit up

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:20
Remember also to always check windowsupdate for the latest security patches. Very important.

GT_Rince
22-01-04, 15:21
Originally posted by Clownst0pper
No point, It was recently done.

Even so - may need doing again.

Edited cos I didn't read everything :D

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:23
Originally posted by GT_Rince
Even so - may need doing again.

As daft as it sounds, are you sure this isn't an ISP / connection related problem?

/edit Nvm... Rince is a quickie. :D

GT_Rince
22-01-04, 15:26
Originally posted by Nightbrother
/edit Nvm... Rince is a quickie. :D

LOL - posts changing too fast :D

bounty
22-01-04, 15:38
I had a virus not too long back and what it did was it used my computer as a server, and would send people windows messages (pop ups) over and over and over again and again to random people. This slowed my connect and my computer down horribly. Very nasty little thing. It was a worm. Trying to remember the name but it was a pain in the ass to get rid of. I would open my processes window and there would be like 50 programs open sending packets. Don't use adware though, it is spyware in itself.

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 15:39
OK, my computer went insane then.

All my desktop programs and brousers closed, The start button wouldnt work.

turned the computer off, restarted it, the Keyboard stopped working, it wouldnt load, after 4 restarts the keyboard started to work and it let me load in safe mode, after a restart im back where I started, and am beginning this virus software stuff. :(

Richard Slade
22-01-04, 15:44
Simple solution step by step
(AKA *S*)

1.Find Win XP CD
2.Bump CD into reader
3.Turn off puter
4.Turn on puter
5.Format and redo it all
6.But a new fan
7.Enjoy the fact that your puter is set to go again

Doesn't get easier than that I'm afraid....

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 15:45
Doesn't get easier than that I'm afraid....

Upgrading in two weeks, I need it working now, and dont have the time for a reformatt. 8|

Richard Slade
22-01-04, 15:48
Just reinstall then.
Should be fairly simple
And I'm upgrading tomorrow... :P
Poor thing stayed with me for five straight years.
Even Deus Ex 2 worked on it dammit..
ANYWAYS
I can't find many more solutions..
Get anti-virus thingy
And start using Norton!!
The fan is fubar tho... I belive
Since I aint handing you my "Special" solution on those cases..
you wouldn't like 'em

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:48
OK, my computer went insane then.

All my desktop programs and brousers closed, The start button wouldnt work.

turned the computer off, restarted it, the Keyboard stopped working, it wouldnt load, after 4 restarts the keyboard started to work and it let me load in safe mode, after a restart im back where I started, and am beginning this virus software stuff. :(

Noooooo, did you delete everything HijackThis came up with? I hope you didn't. :( I wrote that you mustn't do that, m8. Anyway, if you did and things aren't as before you deleted the list, go to page one of this thread and read how to make it good again.

Did HijackThis come up with any lines that struck you as odd or bad-sounding?

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 15:50
Not run the Hijack thing yet, Am runing norton thing trial which ive just downloaded and its found one serious virus and 23 infected files.

:eek:

Noooooo, did you delete everything HijackThis came up with? I hope you didn't. I wrote that you mustn't do that, m8. Anyway, if you did and things aren't as before you deleted the list, go to page one of this thread and read how to make it good again.

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:53
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download955.html

My advice is to use this anti-vir instead. Norton tends to put all sorts of gonk and stuff in places where I don't want it, including a million (well, not that many) registry entries and files/folders that aren't deleted when the programs are uninstalled. That's just my experience. I may have been unlucky or something. :wtf:

Oh, yeah, and the Norton Recycler thing is just a pain in the behind, especially after every Norton thing has been uninstalled.

GT_Rince
22-01-04, 15:54
Upgrading in two weeks, I need it working now, and dont have the time for a reformatt. 8|

You start now, you be up and running in 2 hours

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 15:54
My advice is to use this anti-vir instead. Norton tends to put all sorts of gonk and stuff in places where I don't want it, including a million (well, not that many) registry entries and files/folders that aren't deleted when the programs are uninstalled. That's just my experience. I may have been unlucky or something.

Its symantec and just a trial version. I will re format when ive upgraded anyway mate :cool:

Get on saturn.

I play Koro/Ikari/Kaolin/ and Isa

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 15:56
Get on saturn.

Ok, I will when I get home. I'm off from work in 15 mins. Yippee.

darknessfairy
22-01-04, 16:07
Another good FREE virus checker:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

That one is very good i must admit... :)

But when you upgrade, get a freakin antivirus, pls... Dont put yourself thru this trouble again

22-01-04, 16:21
Not run the Hijack thing yet, Am runing norton thing trial which ive just downloaded and its found one serious virus and 23 infected files.

:eek:

you kim..... www.grisoft.com

try that get the free edition, norton isnt all its cracked up to be, and probably missed a shed loads of viruses too....

ive seen nibs before, but this clownstopper guy, jeez :)
gort.

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 16:27
Originally posted by 187
you kim..... www.grisoft.com

try that get the free edition, norton isnt all its cracked up to be, and probably missed a shed loads of viruses too....

ive seen nibs before, but this clownstopper guy, jeez :)
gort.

Heh, well I'm sure there are areas of knowledge where you're the nib compared to him, yes? If we were all superknowledgeable in computer thingies, then I'd die from boredom from not having other kinds of people to talk to. :D

P.S. Soon I'll be getting my post count higher than my height in centimetres. :lol: