PDA

View Full Version : Help please! Somethings wrong!

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 12:33
Loaded Neocron this morning, and instantly something was wrong, the menu screen my mouse pointer and its smoothness when moving about was terrible, when clicking on saturn my characters also scattered up slowly.

When in the game, in plaza 2 even thought it was quiet I was getting below 10fps!

My ping was also at 150+ (usually below 70)

Is this fully to blame for it?

HOWEVER, A friend told me to increase the numbers of the individual player bandwidth in the 'net' ini file, at present it is 10000 and I believe it was at 1000 to start with, reverting it back or increasing, lowering it doesnt seem to be making a difference!

HELP! :confused: :(

Nash_Brigham
22-01-04, 12:34
You have something running in the background eating up some processor power. Something silent, like if you use Kazaa, that will leave P2P even if you deactivated it int eh icon tray, P2P is still running and you have to manually deactivate it. Just check to make sure you got no other processes running at the same time as Neocron.

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 12:37
AHH ha! sneaky bugger, its icon was invisible on the start up menu, Ah brilliant, hopefully that will fix it after the maintenance.

:cool:

Thankyou :D

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 12:41
Ive got a new problem!

My fan has also this morning started making a clicking noise, as if its catching on something. When you hold the fan still the noise obviously stops.

Theres cold air comming out of the back of my CPU so it must be working? :confused:

Again,

Help! :(

Nvidia
22-01-04, 12:46
Open your case and check for loose wires that may have become unhooked from their cracks and corners in cases where they are usually shoved.

Sometimes, if you got a lot of loose wires, it helps to tape em to the static sides of the computer (IE: Sides that don't need to be moved to come off :lol: )

I do this and my case looks pretty clean on the inside. I've heard from a few select people that tape can melt from the heat? I've never had such a thing happen to me, but, anything's possible... ;)

Anyways, good luck. :)

DigestiveBiscui
22-01-04, 12:49
Ratling could be a loose fan OR the case isnt on tight enough. It happend to me, one new Case fan and a more tight case later and it stopped :p

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 13:21
OK all was good after maintenance, now my ping is 170+ and my FPS below 10.

It really has to be my ISP (freeserve broadband) which is causing it, Unless anyone else has any suggestions?:(

Richard Slade
22-01-04, 13:28
The fan could be one other thing
The reason I'm upgrading now...
I had that clicking noise but though
"Oh well what the heck, I can live wth it"...
Three days later my graph card burned down totally
And the "click" was the clogged fan
clogged with grease and shit I can't even identify...
So check the fans u got and clean them, might help too

Nightbrother
22-01-04, 13:34
Try HijackThis to see if any strange (bad) things are running on your comp. Be very sure to read the instructions on what to delete and what not to delete before using that little nice program.

Also, go www.majorgeeks.com for tools to effectively clean your system in numreous ways, if but to get the certainty that it really IS your ISP that is causing the problem, and not some small leeching program.

I had a trojan once, that used 90% of my bandwidth all the time (for all sorts of weird things), and I had a hell of a time finding it. Tried about a dozen of different anti-vir progs before locating the bugger. Use 4-5 different anti-vir progs, at least, if you really want to make sure you don't have any nasty vira. Said trojan gave me symptoms similar to those you describe, Clownstopper (are you Kaolin/Ikari on Saturn, btw?), so it may be worth using some time doing thorough vira scans. Just some suggestions.

Hope you find out what's wrong soon.

Cheers.

Clownst0pper
22-01-04, 14:05
Yes Randall, Its me :p