PDA

View Full Version : Fps

Epzilon
20-01-04, 01:17
How come my FPS cap at 62? I've switched vertical synch off but it still won't go any higher.
Ideas anyone?

Clownst0pper
20-01-04, 01:40
How the fuck do u even get 62fps?

Cyphor
20-01-04, 01:52
You sure it caps at that? i norm get about 50-60 too but get about 120+ in my apt, its more likely to be something in your system capping your fps if you cant get above that no matter what you try. Try turning all detail low etc, looks bad but can be good for big op wars. On my old pc i had to play the game with everything looking like lego in op wars and i still only got 5 fps :lol:

Edit:With my new system i get about 20 at op wars with a min of around 10 at the huge ones, thankfully i dont get any spikes taking it to 1 anymore so the game runs pretty smoothly.

If your capping at 62 and getting that most of the time stop complaining :p as long as your not dropping bellow 10 you shouldn't have any probs :angel:

Zanathos
20-01-04, 01:54
mine caps at 90 but its usually around 20-30

rubaduckythug
20-01-04, 02:13
sheesh ppl think 60 fps is bad 8| id love to see a constant or near constant 60 fps... im normaly around 20 but at op fights it drops down to 8 or so.

40$Poser
20-01-04, 02:25
FPS is a joke tbh

Divide
20-01-04, 02:52
Either your drivers have the v-synch hard coded into them, or the card itself is set only to operate at highest 62 fps... or you didnt really disable vsynch in the settings.

There really isnt a reason to disable v-synch, its a great thing. No tears in walls/textures while you are moving.

Besides, *technically* above 24 fps is "fluid" as far as TV and Movies are concerned. The human eye cant differentiate over 40fps, except in the clarity of objects/textures.

Basically, you really dont even need to concern yourself with removal of v-synch, unless you are video benchmarking, and every single fucking fps is life or death : 3dmark (http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark03/)

Shadow Dancer
20-01-04, 02:55
Um, does turning down all the gfx options improve FPS?

Spectra260
20-01-04, 02:55
this game has really bad FPS issues..

i get better FPS in planetside than neocron... and PS graphics are a bit better IMO

Artie
20-01-04, 02:56
Originally posted by Divide
Either your drivers have the v-synch hard coded into them, or the card itself is set only to operate at highest 62 fps... or you didnt really disable vsynch in the settings.

There really isnt a reason to disable v-synch, its a great thing. No tears in walls/textures while you are moving.

Besides, *technically* above 24 fps is "fluid" as far as TV and Movies are concerned. The human eye cant differentiate over 40fps, except in the clarity of objects/textures.

Basically, you really dont even need to concern yourself with removal of v-synch, unless you are video benchmarking, and every single fucking fps is life or death : 3dmark (http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark03/)

good explanation.

Basically though, if you have a nvidia geforce 2/3/4 you can't actually disable vsynch unless you get the reg hack from some benchmarking site (i forgot) that hacks dets to do that. It's a bug...dunno if they fixed it with the newest forceware...heh.

PaulVinten
20-01-04, 02:57
Originally posted by Epzilon
How come my FPS cap at 62? I've switched vertical synch off but it still won't go any higher.
Ideas anyone?

Some graphics cards/ drivers will cap your in game FPS to your gfx cards refresh rate. If you monitor is only showing 60fps, why generate 80fps?

and anyway, you can't see anything above like 30 fps anyway (a friend of mine doing biology explained to me and proved mathmatically that you can't see anything about 30-35) so why worry?

Cyphor
20-01-04, 03:03
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Um, does turning down all the gfx options improve FPS?

It seemed to help me, not sure if it was just one or two that were making a diff and turning the rest down was doing nothing, i never took the time to test, i was using a geforce 2 mx and my fps would go from about 8 to 15 in most situations with them down, still got crappy spikes in op wars though making them almost unplayable.

Now using a radeon 9800 pro so dont really have a need to put detail down to test :)

Shadow Dancer
20-01-04, 03:05
Originally posted by PaulVinten

and anyway, you can't see anything above like 30 fps anyway (a friend of mine doing biology explained to me and proved mathmatically that you can't see anything about 30-35) so why worry?

Because you run faster with higher fps.

t0tt3
20-01-04, 03:09
Originally posted by PaulVinten
Some graphics cards/ drivers will cap your in game FPS to your gfx cards refresh rate. If you monitor is only showing 60fps, why generate 80fps?

thats pure bullshit I am sorry to say that but its not true that you say.

Saw a medical experiment where pilots saw a film with 200 fps and 1 of 200 a plane where there. So if you are right its not slightes possible to se that plane but hey they saw it.

Cant remember the site I saw it but the human brain is so advanced that not even a real expert can say how it works.

found it... thnx google :p

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Morganth
20-01-04, 03:19
I get a better FPS playing high quality graphics and sound on Call of Duty against people in America (around 60 + FPS) than I do on Neocron (around 20 FPS). Its a joke TBH as as soon as someone shoots me I lag and wonder why I die.

Divide
20-01-04, 03:23
Originally posted by t0tt3

Saw a medical experiment where pilots saw a film with 200 fps and 1 of 200 a plane where there. So if you are right its not slightes possible to se that plane but hey they saw it.

Cant remember the site I saw it but the human brain is so advanced that not even a real expert can say how it works.

this has been experimented ever since radio and television were created, its called subliminal advertising. Yes, you do technically see these visuals, but only on a subconcious level.
The same can be said for CD vs Vinyl recordings. Some people will die before they admit that CDs sound as good as vinyls, while tests have shown that cd's sound every bit as good as vinyl (concerning the audable tones). While the human ear can not hear these tones, the brain knows that they are there... just the same with visuals.

L0KI
20-01-04, 03:27
PS graphics are abysmal.

NC graphics arent the BEST, yet they hog both CPU and gfx card. Strage, but true.... o_O

Divide
20-01-04, 03:38
Originally posted by t0tt3

interesting read.

there is a definite difference between the two scenes; 60 fps looking much better and smoother than the 30 fps.

But I did mention that with the increase in FPS, comes clarity, etc etc.

ZoneVortex
20-01-04, 09:36
i recently lost my old GeForce 256 which gave me 17 FPS staring at a wall with no one around me and all graphics settings turned up half way for a GeForce ti4800 128 mb

the new card, with all graphics settings turned to max, gives me 84 FPS when staring at a wall

i was elated at this improvement!

however..i don't run faster that before or any of this gibberish. infact the game hardly looks any sharper besides that i can do OP battles without the screen moving in huge chunks and failing to load models

Deicide
20-01-04, 09:57
During a heavy opfight my fps are around 20.

but my clanmate SworK hast about 300(!!!!!!) fps down in the sewer.....

if u dont believe me u might pm him ( hes called djflash in this forum). But he captured a vid during an opfight with around 15-10 fps so i really believe him!!

n3m
20-01-04, 14:08
Mine also caps out at 62FPS.. Thats outside with everything turned on (incl vegetation). Sometimes when I turn it shoots up to 71 but then goes back to 62..

Also, sometimes it stutters like hell, yet the FPS is (again) 62. Ping is ~71, BW is around 350

//edit:

it seems the 4x AA and the 16x AF, was the cause of the stuttering

//edit 2:

try turning off AA and AF (I have it at 2xAA and 4xAF), my FPS boosts up to 111 in plaza 1

PS: Anyone know how to run 1024*768 in window mode?

ElfinLord
20-01-04, 14:23
Add the line:

PREFWINDOWSIZE = "1024x768"

in the neocron.ini file in your Neocron directory.

Of course you'll need to configure it to run in window mode if you haven't already.

To do this simply hold down the 'shift' key when you launch Neocron and select 'WindowMode' from the bottom of the list.

shodanjr_gr
20-01-04, 14:32
"Its not the game, its your computer"tm

Let me just tell you this to prove how fubar the game is.

Had:Geforce 2 Ti 64mb DDR
Got:Radeon 9800 SE 128DDR

FpS:Teh Same...

BiTeMe
20-01-04, 14:43
It's the same as planetside when it comes to poor PFS. The game renders things that are not in view and this has a massive effect on your PFS.
Try placing a turret in an OP, then go around a wall so it's out of sight and look towards where you placed the turret. You can tell you have found it when your FPS drops.
I have a pure gaming rig that I use for Neocron and Planetside (AMD XP2800, 1gb pc3200 @ 400mHz, Radeon 9700 pro etc.....) and I still get poor FPS in op fights. It dips to around 7-10 but when walking through neocron I generaly get 60-300 FPS.

When people play other games and get good FPS with better graphics this is because there generaly isn't as many graphics or the game has been programmed for the new generation video cards to take advantage of all their features.

Neocron is very CPU heavy and I believe this is the reason for poor PFS, as your all singing all dancing GFX card isn't used to it's full potential.

I don't think there is anything you can do to improve performance other than lower the DX quality settings in your GFX drivers control panel as even the detail settings in NC have little to no effect on performace (in my experiance)

Scikar
20-01-04, 14:46
Originally posted by shodanjr_gr
"Its not the game, its your computer"tm

Let me just tell you this to prove how fubar the game is.

Had:Geforce 2 Ti 64mb DDR
Got:Radeon 9800 SE 128DDR

FpS:Teh Same...

Yeah, because the only thing affecting your FPS is your gfx card. :rolleyes:

If you're still on AGP 2x, if your RAM is not DDR, if you have a slow processor, if you have set the gfx card to run 8x antialiasing... then obviously your FPS won't increase.

Oh and regarding not being able to differentiate between higher FPS, I can see the difference between 40 and 50. It's as Divide says, once it hits 30 the stuttering stops, but above that clarity improves. If you then also consider that the most obvious thing to the human eye besides whether it is light or dark is movement, having a sharp picture is better than having a blurry one.

Finally, disabling vsync doesn't really achieve anything, unless you like your screen to tear every time you turn around.

El Barto
20-01-04, 16:48
I get 70 - 80 in some places, don't thjink 62 is the cap

Cubico
20-01-04, 17:20
Hi,

I have an NVidea Geforce chip, dont know the exact version or number.

I get a max of exactly 90 fps when looking to a wall in my apt, but when I activate my spell glove then it goes down to around 40.

I think the 90 fps is a video card limit. Can anyone tell me how to change this? Is there a configuration tool or something available?

Revslad
20-01-04, 18:12
My cap fps is like 100 in plaza i get 90-100 in the wastes i get around 70, opp zones when looking at the opp with no fog on i get around 50 - 60, plaza 1 40 - 50 :)