PDA

View Full Version : PPU setup advice

Jest
19-01-04, 23:42
Ok I have a PPU. Now as much I think PPUs are the epitome of everything wrong with PvP, I think PPUs are kick ass tradeskillers. I really only use my PE for PvP so I think Im going to turn the PPU into a pure tradeskiller.

So here is the basic premise. He will have no natural points in Int Psi Use!! Onoz!

But it will more or less look like this.
Int
Barter - 111 (with support 3)
Implant - 84 (with spy 3 + imp glove)
Research - 181 (with con 3 + res glove)

Dex
Vehicle Use - 62
Rest in agility

Str
A lot in Transport but he ends up with 157 force resist and 111 piercing which ain't too bad.

Psi
Havent really sorted it, will have to LoM Psi Use first to see where my %s end up. (Note question about this down below)

Con
Still a good Con setup, 419 health points and 99% protection for fire/energy/xray. I end up with 110 total poison points which aint bad either I guess.

Any way how does that look? Keep in mind Im not trying to be uber. The only PvP this char will do is if he is attacked while hunting.

Also, right now my PPU is estimated to be 170ish. Is there a magic number for % increase like there is with guns? For example 159 in pistol vs 160 in pistol is a HUGE difference. Is there something like that in Psi? I'll probably test it anyways but it always helps to have an idea of what to look for.

shodanjr_gr
19-01-04, 23:48
You wont be doing any PVP at ALL???
If you are, you will need at least 100 PSU, if u wish to get even a mediocre spell cast rate (so that your shetler wont need five min to cast, and you will be able to cast a rezz before DoY arrives).

J. Folsom
19-01-04, 23:50
Looks good to me for what you want to do with him.

I believe you're already past the magic number for PPU, think it's above 150 for most/all types of weapons.

Cyphor
19-01-04, 23:52
Afaik 170 ppu/apu is the "magical" number for psi where you get a huge boost :)

Jest
20-01-04, 00:05
Originally posted by shodanjr_gr
You wont be doing any PVP at ALL???
If you are, you will need at least 100 PSU, if u wish to get even a mediocre spell cast rate (so that your shetler wont need five min to cast, and you will be able to cast a rezz before DoY arrives). Nah I wont be gimped for rez. You cant get any lower than 1 cast per minute. :lol: Thats about how long it takes anyway.

And one says 150, another 170, and Pete tells me 160 so I think 160 is prolly it. :p Ill test it out anyways.

petek480
20-01-04, 00:13
Originally posted by Jest
Nah I wont be gimped for rez. You cant get any lower than 1 cast per minute. :lol: Thats about how long it takes anyway.

And one says 150, another 170, and Pete tells me 160 so I think 160 is prolly it. :p Ill test it out anyways.
Actually now that i think of it i think it is around 170. I couldn't remember when i told you i just knew it was 160ish.

Shadow Dancer
20-01-04, 01:13
Doesn't it depend on TEH the tl of the item?

I know it's 169 for HL and like 171 for Fire apoc.

Not 100000000000000% sure though, but i'd bet on it.

sex

Carinth
20-01-04, 19:17
I'm pretty sure it's 169/170 for the specialization bonus.

Oh ya, keep in mind you cant cast spells when your res/imp glove is on, so you'll be swapping gloves a lot to recast your booster spells : )

Archeus
20-01-04, 19:59
IMP 85 I believe is the soft cap after that MC5 chips.

Research as well seems a bit overkill unless your planning on doing MC5 chips or E's. My spy does fine with 149 RES.

If you have VHC I would recommend some in Repair so you can fix the cars on the fly. Works out a lot cheaper then the ASG and great for when hunting.

Also, right now my PPU is estimated to be 170ish. Is there a magic number for % increase like there is with guns?

I have found large effects in PSU after 130. Certainly the mana pool regens a hell of a lot faster after 130.

Jest
20-01-04, 20:38
Originally posted by Carinth
I'm pretty sure it's 169/170 for the specialization bonus.

Oh ya, keep in mind you cant cast spells when your res/imp glove is on, so you'll be swapping gloves a lot to recast your booster spells : ) Yah he is a researcher any ways so I do that a lot as is.

Originally posted by Archeus
Research as well seems a bit overkill unless your planning on doing MC5 chips or E's. My spy does fine with 149 RES.

If you have VHC I would recommend some in Repair so you can fix the cars on the fly. Works out a lot cheaper then the ASG and great for when hunting.
I will more than likely end up not having that much research but I'm 20 points from capping int any ways (after LoMing) so I might only end up with 160ish research and maybe some points in Psi Use for good measure.

Ive debated repair but just dont know. Its dang hard to cap dex as it is. (The reason I have implant in the first place). Assuming I spend the next week poking my PP chip over and over again I might end up just placing the points as 37 vehicle, 75 natural agility, and 48 natural repair. :p We'll see though.

Carinth
20-01-04, 20:42
Archeus: pool regen is based on your max pool. Anything that increases your pool size will inrease your regen rate. A 149 researcher is not very good honestly. MC5's aren't the only high level important items a resser deals with. Many drones are quite high aswell as turrets. If you don't want to expend an entire large res substance tube on blueprinting one item, I would suggest you at least get 200 res. Your 181 is alright, but still a large chance at failure. With a lab you would be perfect though. Lastly unless I'm mistaken the highest non mc5 implant is tl 84, thats what it used to be before mc5's were introduced at least. Something else could have come along to up it since then.

Archeus
20-01-04, 21:07
Originally posted by Carinth
Archeus: pool regen is based on your max pool.

It certainly could be, but I have noticed huge mana pool speed increases vs 149 to 130 to 125 with PSU (Lommed some off to Barter). Most increases happened after 130'ish and the current mana pool changes means there was very little change to my mana pool.

A 149 researcher is not very good honestly. MC5's aren't the only high level important items a resser deals with. Many drones are quite high aswell as turrets. If you don't want to expend an entire large res substance tube on blueprinting one item, I would suggest you at least get 200 res.[/B]

There is always a chance you can break something. Doesn't matter what the skill. I have broken to date 11 Tech Parts out of literally 100's . As for turrets and drones, easy solution is... I don't do them (at least not in large qtys). As for lube, the customer buys it not me and only E's are the real lube eaters, and if I really need to the Labs give me more then enough.

Ive debated repair but just dont know. Its dang hard to cap dex as it is. (

Then take repair. Repairing a Rhino your DEX goes up nuts. I am already near capping from just the rhino (level 32, was level 24 after I lommed to REP). As people know I am not a powergamer so my dex has been around level 25 for months prior to it.

As for imp I'm pretty sure it's TL85, but I do know if you got TL85 as base then a glove + spy3 will give you MC5 pokage too.

Cytaur
20-01-04, 21:14
now that they took off TC reqs from gatling pistols (and cannons) you can try being a pistol PPU :D