PDA

View Full Version : Where do you live not to have broad band?

VetteroX
19-01-04, 21:40
I have never lived, nor visited any place in my life where broadband , either cable or dsl is not avalible at this point... I live in NYC where of course its avalible, but we also have a country house in a very small community up on a freaking mountain, and you can get broad band there. All of my freinds from college, none of who live in the city, have broad band. So where do you have to be not to get it? The middle of the fiorest in montana? The peak of a mountain in Germany? Im not flaming just trying to understand cause 5 years ago yeah sure i understand but now? where can you live not to have braod band avalible?

Ferabukoo
19-01-04, 21:43
im from kansas...

and the cable guy said they couldnt run cable lines through the yellow brick road :(

Krll
19-01-04, 21:45
Many rural areas of the UK can't get it because BT think it's not cost effective to make it available for them.

My brother lives just 10 miles away. I can get it here in my town, but he can't because he's up in the hills.

-Krll

Cytaur
19-01-04, 21:46
buckle up dorothy, because kansas is going bye-bye

s0apy
19-01-04, 21:46
anywhere that's not within the limits of a major city, if you're in the UK. god bless BT.

take edinburgh, for example. if you live in edinburgh, you get broadband. if you live in, say, mid calder, a few miles outside the city limits but still basically part of the conurbation, you don't. if you DO want it via BT you have to start a petition, get as many names on it as you can, submit this to BT and then they MIGHT set up broadband in that area. otherwise you're fooked.

basically, if it costs em, and there ain't a guaranteed profit involved, then in the UK you get no broadband. the government here don't seem to want to subsidise the monopolies so that peeps have internet up mountains (where they need it the most).

Cyphor
19-01-04, 21:47
There are many areas in the uk which havent been connected up to broadband by bt yet as not enough people want it to make it worth their while, these are norm small areas ranging from villages of 50 to a few thousand, they only get signed up if a certain percentage expresses an interest.

Also there are prob some people that cant afford the monthly cost, it might only be £25-30, but then thats almost twice the cost of dial-up, which meets most peoples needs.

shodanjr_gr
19-01-04, 21:47
We got bb where i live.
BUT
In order to install it at my place i need to replace the whole telefony installation its got. And i aint doing that (many $$$ to waste).

nonamebrandeggs
19-01-04, 21:50
Kyle's farm doesn't have broadband :(.

Jest
19-01-04, 22:37
Stop spamming Vet. :p

When I lived in Chattanooga, Tennessee, my neighborhood didn't have access to it for some reason. Its becoming more common these days sure, but that was only a few years ago.

Sanch0s
19-01-04, 22:38
Well anyone who cant get BB in the Uk i, in no way feel sorry for them. Rural housing here is only for those who are more well off (rich$).
But saying that lol i do know that within 3 miles of where i live ppl can't get BB, although the exchange has been triggered BT dont seem to be activating it, so blame BT, theyre lazy-I hope no one has to rely on their wholesale dpt, evar!

Archeus
19-01-04, 22:42
Up until recently you couldn't get in Ireland cheaply or at all. I was only able to get ADSL late last year in my area, and Cable... non-existant still. Actually still a few places that can't get it.

Even now the price isn't the best compared to the rest of Europe.

Also when I was living in the backbay in Boston I couldn't get Cable/ADSL either. When moved to Malden though I got ultrafast cheap Cable (faster then what I have now).

Psyco Groupie
19-01-04, 22:52
I've only had ADSL at home for a year but i cant remember nor get used to not having it (uni :( )

Saying that when I got it we went straight in at 1mbit because we had 4 computers on ISDN before which was a joke to say the least ... and 512 would have struggled if everyone was busy at the same time .. 1 mbit is seriously quick with 4 people tho :P

Next year me and 4 mates should be getting a house ... i think we'll get 2 mbit because 5 people that know howto use the net is more than my dumbass family :P

anyway .. poor bastards on dialup and people paying extreme $$$ for ISDN cos its barely better than 56k :/

Benjie
19-01-04, 22:56
You can't get broadband by the Wash in lincolnshire, England. (on the east coast midlands, that little Circle bit that sticks out, the top crevis where that joins to mainland.)

Originally posted by Sanch0s
Well anyone who cant get BB in the Uk i, in no way feel sorry for them. Rural housing here is only for those who are more well off (rich$).
That is SOOOO not true!
1. agracultural housing is a hell of a lot cheaper than suburban housing.
2. My parents live in the middle of nowhere, there house is worth squat.

Where the hell did you 'get' this BS information?

tuxy
19-01-04, 23:15
i live in a town in ireland with a population of 7,000 and we only got dsl 2 months ago , the majority of irish towns dont have broadband

Judge
19-01-04, 23:15
Originally posted by Krll
Many rural areas of the UK can't get it because BT think it's not cost effective to make it available for them.

My brother lives just 10 miles away. I can get it here in my town, but he can't because he's up in the hills.

-Krll

Exactly. I can get it, but my mate 5 miles down the road can't because of FUCKING BT.... OMG, I really dislike BT. How come the entire of fucking America seems to have BB... and might I point out better speeds and lower costs... whilst the UK is left in the shitter by BT.

I only got BroadBand in Feb last year... and I live in a town of 20K plus population.

robinitnow
19-01-04, 23:24
you can get is every where exsept the south pole. there is a 2MB satilite for the north pole.

Possessed
19-01-04, 23:31
I can see houses from my window that can get Broadband... i'm on the wrong exchange by abouy 50 m... talk about a shitty country

Ormy
19-01-04, 23:33
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
we had 4 computers on ISDN before which was a joke to say the least

LMFAO. Before we got broadband in my area (lincolnshire UK), the entire school i go to, with 300+ comps, at the very least 200 in use at any one time, all sharing a dual ISDN connection, 128 KB. You think 4 is bad, 200 fucking-hundred lol.

I used to be on 56k, it's ok if you've never had anything faster. I still pwned at SoF 2, but downloading at 4kb/s is a bitch sometimes.

Then i got single ISDN, not much better, 64k, 7kb/s, pings didn't change much, but it was faster than 56k lol.

Now i got 512KB BB and I really like it, no ping problems, steady 57kb/s downloads. Its 27 quid a month, not bad. 2 Mbit was 80 quid, and i dont need all that for one comp. The school is now on 2 Mbit, the page will just about have loaded after you yawn and throw another pencil at the teacher. Still slower than my old school tho, in hull, we had a T3 lol. 120 KB/s download speeds on 200 comps simulataenously, ownage.

Scikar
19-01-04, 23:34
In exactly the same position as Possessed. I just can't understand why BT won't do RADSL at just 256k if the line is good enough for 512k. Or even put a new line in since the current one must be 20 years old. I'm technically in range of the exchange but the poor quality of the line means the loss is just above the limit. :(

robinitnow
19-01-04, 23:38
my school had 60+ computers on a 128 isdn and thay used to make every one surf the net at the same time with it.

20min for a page... 20 ***&^%$$$ mins for a £%&(*%$$ page!

Sanch0s
20-01-04, 00:01
I have eyes, ok then so a house in the country with land...like 400,000 compared to a similarly sized house in a town, what average where i live is like 140,000.
Of course prices will vary if you live in a city......
And in area of the country.

Land in the middle of no-where will be cheap as there are no job opertunities.
I know what i mean.

Duder
20-01-04, 00:05
Originally posted by Possessed
I can see houses from my window that can get Broadband... i'm on the wrong exchange by abouy 50 m... talk about a shitty country

More like...talk about your shitty placed farm Kyle...:p

-FN-
20-01-04, 00:12
I live in Pennsylvania in the US between two small towns, both of which have cable within them, but the best I can get and anyone around me, is crappy dial-up.

I hate it like I can't describe.

Scikar
20-01-04, 00:30
I have eyes, ok then so a house in the country with land...like 400,000 compared to a similarly sized house in a town, what average where i live is like 140,000.

I know what i mean.

If the house with land is worth 400 grand then the same plot of land in a town would be worth 500 grand all on its own, without a house on top.

Psyco Groupie
20-01-04, 00:31
In the UK the reason is because now they only upgrade per exchange and ADSL having a 5km MAX range people often find the next village have it before them :P

Judge
20-01-04, 01:02

I know what i mean.

WHAT THE FUCK!!! So you are saying that a house WITH LAND is worth more in the fucking country than the same sized house WITH THE SAME LAND in the middle of London?

Because you can't compare a house with land to a house with no land. You might as well say, "Well I have no sympathy for people without electricity in Africa because to buy the entire of Africa and a shack you would have to have fuck loads of money. But to buy the same shack in the middle of london would hardly cost anything"

See my point?

extract
20-01-04, 01:07
michigan...up north on the border of canada......only 56k available......oh and satellite if you prefer that instead....but no cable or DSL

tuxy
20-01-04, 01:40
Originally posted by Ormy

Then i got single ISDN, not much better, 64k, 7kb/s, pings didn't change much, but it was faster than 56k lol.

i bet you were using a crappy usb isdn ta if you get a good internal one you can get 30/40 pings which is good for games but still shit for downloading with only 64k

Wellard
20-01-04, 14:30
the world according to vet huh? what a gr8 place that would be huh? :rolleyes: (that is the sarcasm smiley isn't it?)

did it not occur to you that some people just can't afford bb?

rural housing is just for the rich? I can name you 4 0r 5 villages in Cheshire UK that are rural and ALL council houses

u've never lived in or been to a place where they don't have bb?
not lived in or been to many places then huh?

fyi, theres still places in the uk that dont have it, simply because there isn't enough interest!!! :eek: sucks I know, but thats BT for u!

I love your posts, they're so............... naive

btw, I'm not flaming you. just making a valid argument

Babes
20-01-04, 15:46
I live in a Village near Newcastle UK.

Last year the local newspaper started a campain to Bring BB to the Village and surrounding area's. It explain to everyone about the BT Trigger and howmany people just had to say to BT "Im interested here's my vote'

Now had ADSL for last 5 Months....Its was like Christmas Day when the BT Guy Installed it....NO MORE CRON on a DIAL-UP

:D

Wellard
20-01-04, 17:57
Newcastle under lyme or upon tyne?

used to go to newcastle under lyme college :)

Babes
20-01-04, 18:20
Upon Tyne <--- geordie born and Breed

Wellard
20-01-04, 18:32
ahhh cool, got relatives up that way - Redcar. The accent's gr8!

wot was this thread about? oh yeah, I haven't got bb, where I used to live didn't have it available, but where I just moved has it, I just gotta get round to ordering it.

Can't wait...... Patch tuesday will never take 4hrs again!

P4mp3rk3
20-01-04, 18:48
Cable and ADSL both cover like 98% of Belgium, so you can get it about everywhere here.
I'm on a 3.3 Mbit ADSL line myself, costing about £27 a month :D

|R@zor|
21-01-04, 03:51
I live just north of inverness in scotland

Inverness has it, Dingwall which is 10 miles away has it, but its not in our town yet. Although it has just been given its trigger level and has more than 50% of the require pre-registrations before the telephone exchange is upgraded so it should'nt take too long.

VetteroX
21-01-04, 03:59
well I know with DSL, you have to be within a few miles of their stations, but I thought with cable, as long as you have newer lines, you can get cable as long as you have cable TV? I used to live in a very old apt building in NYC, they couldnt install cable cause the lines were only 1 way, not 2way, but dsl could be installed on the lines even though some were from the 1930's, just as long as your near thier line boosting station or whatever, whih we were.

Now, being in a very small isolated town where they dont wanna do broad band cause they wont make a profit i understand... not being able to afford broad band I do not... if you bought a combuter, how could you not afford the monthly cost of BB? Its $25/month here, and when i first got it it as $50/month... how can you not afford that? how do you pay for other things if you cant afford that?

g0rt
21-01-04, 04:19
North West Territories, Canada

but i doubt anyone up there has a computer anyway ahah

Cyphor
21-01-04, 06:31
Originally posted by VetteroX
Its $25/month here, and when i first got it it as $50/month... how can you not afford that? how do you pay for other things if you cant afford that?

Because its more expensive here and twice the price of dial-up so many people will opt for the saving as alot of people dont feel the need for BB.

And a pc can be a fixed one-off cost where-as BB often has comitment to a contract, these are different as you can save for the pc but might have to budget (cut back on other stuff for the BB).

For me if i knew that by having BB i would have to cut down on nights out by one a month for example(cost about the same), i would opt to stay dial-up. Theres alot more important things in life than net connections and computer games.

You pay for other things because you have to, net connections etc are a luxury not a necessity.

|R@zor|
21-01-04, 07:10
also, at least where im from we dont get Cable TV either

I have Sky Digital (Satelite TV)

SovKhan
21-01-04, 07:24
ionno i live in NE US we have had it for a min of 5 years up here.

Wellard
21-01-04, 12:28
oh no, I was wrong sorry.............

bb is available in every community, in every country, its uber fast, uber cheap, but that doesn't matter bcos I can buy whatever I want whenever I want and the local lines can support any speed without any upgrade !!!

where do I live? vetteroxland!!

ok vet, u may have a good job, or your parents pay for everything for you so you dont have to worry about other bills, more important things, but thinking that the rest of the world is exactly the same shows extreme naivity or stupidity.....

has reading some of the posts in this thread proved that your statements are one or both of these?

@cyphor - lol, there's no way I would give up a night out with friends for bb either, I can own u all, thats own, not pwn on 56k anyway :D according to my calculations :p

[TgR]KILLER
21-01-04, 12:41
Yea i know a few places not to far from my town that don't have adsl or anything.. they dit start a petition to get some test running with wireless internet.. they needed about 50 ppl to test it or something 300 ppl signed up.. then they said sorry thats to much we can't handle that hahaha.. so their still running on 56K tho last thing i heard is that they were getting adsl next month..

Original monk
21-01-04, 12:47
Originally posted by P4mp3rk3
Cable and ADSL both cover like 98% of Belgium, so you can get it about everywhere here.
I'm on a 3.3 Mbit ADSL line myself, costing about £27 a month :D

same here, also from belgium and i have cable :)

altough i think this is a weird question vetterox ...