PDA

View Full Version : English Essay

Saza
18-01-04, 15:47
Hi dudez

Im writing an English Essay for my GCSE coursework on Macbeth. Im getting on pretty well with it, but my teacher sez that if I can find the meaning of the words Carathis and Pathos then I will score extra marks. Seeing as you get the Holy Carathis Sanctum and what have you ingame, does anyone know the meaning of the word? And if you do, do you know the meaning of the word Pathos too? All help is appreciated.

:confused:
Help me please

Beanie McChimp
18-01-04, 15:50
Oh man thats unlucky I had to do macbeth for my sats but im doing dr jekyll and mr hyde(finished all essays) and now an inspector calls. I think they're latin words or something.

J. Folsom
18-01-04, 15:50
I think you mean catharsis (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=catharsis) :p

And here's pathos (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pathos).

And now, you shall worship dictionary.com :p

Saza
18-01-04, 15:52
I just finished an Inspector Calls, if u need help just ask and I'll e-mail u my essay :D . The title is "How does Priestly show the shortcomings of Arthur Birlings philosophy?"

Saza
18-01-04, 15:53
Originally posted by J. Folsom
I think you mean catharsis (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=catharsis) :p

And here's pathos (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pathos).

And now, you shall worship dictionary.com :p

Shit thx man, that helps me a lot. The english essay is all about tragedy in Shakesperian Drama, :lol: . Thx again. Now..... to return to my essay. *Sigh*

Beanie McChimp
18-01-04, 15:54
Ah isnt the net great for getting essays lol we just started the first page then the bell went.

Omnituens
18-01-04, 16:00
i did Macbeth in GCSE English

and as my final Drama piece

Macbeth overload :wtf:

Saza
18-01-04, 16:03
I did it for SATs, im doing it for GCSE and our Drama teacher is contemplating whether to do it. A resounding NOOOO! emits from her students.

Rieper
18-01-04, 16:06
A2 Drama = Win :p.. our groups decided to do blue/orange.. great play :)

Possessed
18-01-04, 16:46
Heh, I'm doing Macbeth too o_O

Don't know what people bitch about, Macbeth isn't that bad, I'd prefer to read it over say, Twelfth Night, and so, some parts of Macbeth are actually interesting, but meh, I enjoy English so it might just be me :p

Saza
18-01-04, 16:49
I enjoy English, but only the creative side of it. I love writing stories and scripts, hence why i want to be a director. Other bits (like analysing Shakespeare) I'm not so fond of.

Judge
18-01-04, 16:50
I'm doing Romeo and Juliet for GCSE. At least we get to watch the cool version with guns :)

I did Macbeth for SATS... was pretty easy as long as you knew the scenes. At least this year there is NO SHAKESPERE IN THE EXAM!!!!

Saza
18-01-04, 16:53
Macbeth for SATs was easy hehehe. But thats cuz it was an exam and only on specific scenes. Heres the title for the essay I have to write.

"How did people define Tragedy in Shakespeares day? Analyse Macbeth and decide whether is fits the criteria."

Psyco Groupie
18-01-04, 16:53
Do your own work.com jeeez

Possessed
18-01-04, 16:54
Heh, personally I really enjoy analysing anything, be it Shakespeare or Dickens, I just like the thinking process that you have to go through, and getting into the mind of the author, I suppose that it's just the way my mind works. Not that I don't enjoy the creative side of English, it's just that the analytical parts of English are more interesting to me.

On another note one of my other favourite subjects is History, hell, I'm watching "All quiet on the Western Front" as I type this.

[EDIT] @ Saza, don't forget to mention the concept of the Tragic Hero with his fatal flaw, they'll be looking for that imo.

and I did Twelfth Night for Key Stage 3 :( most. boring. play. ever.

Nidhogg
18-01-04, 17:04
Originally posted by Possessed
most. boring. play. ever. You ever see "Waiting for Godot"? It was once described as a play in which nothing happens, twice.

N

robinitnow
18-01-04, 17:19
acording to my Bookman (truly huge dictionery)

I get

Pa+thos noun: power of exciting tender emotions

Beanie McChimp
18-01-04, 18:29
Damn macbeth last year now for drama and english that sucks. The most pointless lesson at the mo has to be GCSE R.E seriously whats the point other than getting another GSCE and anyone doing a GNVQ I.T course?

L0KI
18-01-04, 18:41
wtf is A2? o_O

I finished my 'A' Levels and got straight A's
Rabbi Fang = uber A level student! :p

I used to wag lessons every day and still came out with Oxford Uni acceptable grades :lol: Just shows that you dont have to be a dork and a teachers pet to be "clever" ...
Academic qualifications are over-rated.

...But seriously, what are these A2 qualifications? :confused:

Originally posted by Saza
I enjoy English, but only the creative side of it. I love writing stories and scripts, hence why i want to be a director. Other bits (like analysing Shakespeare) I'm not so fond of.

Oh yeah, the analytical side - which covers Shakespeare etc, is reffered to as English Literature. The "creative" side which covers everything from how language was formed, to "write me a story, then make it into a play" is reffered to as English Language.

You know which one to pick when you take your A levels :D

Tratos
18-01-04, 18:55
pfft, the new 'A' Level system, basicly means you get 3 times as many exams, one at the end of your first year (AS Levels), some in between to see if your taking shit in(just to piss you off), and then one at the end of the two year course, (your A2 qualiffication) oh yeah and some at the end of modules and shite, wow how exceiting for next year, im soooo looking forward to it o_O not.

Oh yeah, and i have my Maths GCSE exam 2moz im soo looking forward to it, not, lol i just hope i can do decent and get a C or B.

~T

oh yeah PS, im doing Romeo & Juliet for one of my english pieces of coursework and its shit because english SUCKS

Beanie McChimp
18-01-04, 20:51
What do you get at the end of PSHE course? i heard you get a certificate in citizenship o_O

Clownst0pper
18-01-04, 20:52
Inspector Calls > Megakim

superfresh
18-01-04, 21:17
With regards to literature, "catharsis" is like a wrap-up; at the end of Shakespeare's plays the protagonist usually goes through a kind of "final learning", or has finally come to understand the lesson that the storyline has amounted to.

"Pathos" refers to the sympathetic & softer side of human nature. In Shakespeare pathos may lead a character to identify and sympathize with the protagonist's "tragic flaw", and perhaps aid him or her (if they haven't already been pwned by someone).

Kal
18-01-04, 21:22
yeah im doing A2 atm, too freaking many exams and some subjects are stupidly hard,
thats what ya got to look forward to after your GCSEs are over :p

Rieper
18-01-04, 22:19
Originally posted by Nidhogg
You ever see "Waiting for Godot"? It was once described as a play in which nothing happens, twice.

N

actually, i enjoyed waiting for Godot :) its quite funny at parts, and pretty dark overall.. its just not action orientated :p

and Rabbi i got AAAE at AS :p i just hated history, tho thankfully dropped, where you studying now?

Marx
18-01-04, 22:21
what, no henry iv?

Sanch0s
18-01-04, 22:28
Orthello, Educating Rita and To Kill A Mockingbird, its a great book, and Gregory peck is the man in the film!
The plays are boring, but To Kill A Mockingbird, great piece of literature. Thats what im doing in my gcses, ive got coursework comming up to, my last piece i think? on a Charles Dickens book, were doing Great Expectations :P

Possessed
18-01-04, 22:47
Originally posted by Sanch0s
comming up to, my last piece i think? on a Charles Dickens book, were doing Great Expectations :P

I just did coursework on Great Expectations, was my first piece....

(A* :P )

Sanch0s
18-01-04, 23:07
I live where the book was set, i live where charles dickens did, therefore i win!

(honestly i do lol and where pochahontas was supposedly burried o.0(yes the disney animation, the red-indian princess woman))

L0KI
18-01-04, 23:07
Originally posted by Rieper
actually, i enjoyed waiting for Godot :) its quite funny at parts, and pretty dark overall.. its just not action orientated :p

and Rabbi i got AAAE at AS :p i just hated history, tho thankfully dropped, where you studying now?

Im studying at home m8. And not for a qualification.
I dont want to be rich, and i dont want to be a "professional". I want to learn as much as I can about everything - I want my brain to breathe :D

I hate this the UK's entire system of:

This piece of paper certifies you as a doctor. Every day we trust "doctors" whom couldnt tell the time until they were 9 years old, with our lives. Okay, maybe thats a little over the top, but one of my m8s just got his Teaching certification. He laughs about it, as he knows jack shit about anything. He studied hard, and now he is going to lead the fate of 30 children a year. He himself has said a million times, that he isnt fit to teach.

It sickens me that academic qualifications > Intelligence.

Sorry for my pesimistic view on studying. pffft, whaddya gonna do.

Ascension
18-01-04, 23:09
Well..... ive just completed my GCSE C/w or not..:P

Ive done... To Kill a Mockingbird, R & J, The Cruicible.. gah what a drag..:(

Rieper
18-01-04, 23:12
Academic qualifications are useful because not every job wants to give you an IQ test and a ridiculously thorough interview to every candidate.. but i see what you're saying.. im gonna do politics because i love the subject and im going to the university where the atmosphere pwns.. even if i could have chosen a better education at a worse uni.

thats what really irks me tho.. brand name recognition. Oxford and Cambridge are elitist anachronisms.