PDA

View Full Version : Should KK sell player accounts before wiped?

Psycho_Soldier
18-01-04, 07:32
I was just thinking. Should KK sell player accounts with all characters and items of course for real cash as a auction before deleting them? So they don't go to waste, with the accounts you would have the option of renaming the character and getting all apartment keys handed to you so you can change passwords. The auction should have every single detail about the character, and everything it has and all the details about the items, quality/quantity, etc.

I think this would be a good, even though I don't buy accounts personally. Please no flames.

Cytaur
18-01-04, 07:40
heh and do what with the money ?

Psycho_Soldier
18-01-04, 07:42
Originally posted by Cytaur
heh and do what with the money ?

I'm talking about real life cash.

MJS could either buy better servers, or another Rolex ;)

Or even hire more people to the dev team. Maybe even start paying GMs to put on better and more events.. O_O

nonamebrandeggs
18-01-04, 10:44
Probobly some laws against that... o_O

Samhain
18-01-04, 10:53
Not if everyone accepts a license agreement stating that's what will happen.

Nash_Brigham
18-01-04, 10:55
Originally posted by Samhain
Not if everyone accepts a license agreement stating that's what will happen. KK legally owns your characters,a nd your account. They can, if they so choose, sell off your account to potential customers if you are not using it. After all, is a countryclub going to leave a specific gold cart in it's stable for a golfer who no longer comes to play golf?

Samhain
18-01-04, 10:59
Be wary.

A slick lawyer would probably pull that they are making money off your "labour" and there could be some issues with that. So, safe to just put it in a license agreement.

Nash_Brigham
18-01-04, 11:04
Originally posted by Samhain
Be wary.

A slick lawyer would probably pull that they are making money off your "labour" and there could be some issues with that. So, safe to just put it in a license agreement. It is apart of the liscense agree that players click I agree to. Be nice if ppl actually read those disclaimer sinstead of clicking through it real fast in the install.

ZoneVortex
18-01-04, 11:33
it's interesting but i would say they HAVE to rename the char, or something to prevent ingame 'identity theft' or whatever

people make bonds with the person they believe is behind that name, so yeah...

but interesting idea

joran420
18-01-04, 11:43
nope its illegall for them to do that even with your Disclaimer....im 99.9% sure

Agent L
18-01-04, 11:55
This makes no sense. GMs could spawn items to sell them on ebay. Where's the point?
Deleting items and cash will not straighten economy up, but reintroducing them will fuck it up.

shodanjr_gr
18-01-04, 12:03
While there is no problem on the legal side of it (since KK owns all the accounts and items/chars in them), i just dont like it as an idea.

Leebzie
18-01-04, 12:29
*shrugs* I sometimes read the agreements , I sometimes dont...

Primarily because im not into the habit of going out to get my game and then deciding to take it back to the shop because of licence agreements.

And where would I get my neocrack hit ? :D

Wait a sec... are you suggesting they sell people accounts ? and then wipe them ??? ummm... :wtf: If they were going to do that they could lie about what the player had, seeing as it would just get wiped.

-Demon-
18-01-04, 14:08
I think this would have a negative effect.

People would they are getting a uber character then find they lack the skill because they didn't level it through.

The whole point is to grow with your character in this sort of game.

FuzzyDuck
18-01-04, 14:19
I do not like this idea at all - what about all the other people who are going to come back;

"oh look, it's me, and look what I'm doing, I miss me."

Elric
18-01-04, 14:26
well, if they were to do that, I would deliberately reactivate my account, Wipe all the characters and then cancel again.

Best thing is just wipe them completely, people would resent someone else getting the benefit of theyre hard work and subsequently be less likely to open a new account or purchase the DOY addon.

Also, wiping out some of the rare pool and cash on the inactive characters may even help stabalise the ingame economy a bit, less money and rares floating about is always a good thing.

Its a nice idea sure, but thats human nature for ya.

Judge
18-01-04, 14:32
I don't like the idea at all. Sorry, it just doesn't seem right. Probably legal though.

L0KI
18-01-04, 14:34
it will:

a) Clog up the database
b) Give KK WAY too much work to do
c) Put them across as desperate

•Super|\|ova•
18-01-04, 14:46
Originally posted by Judge
I don't like the idea at all. Sorry, it just doesn't seem right. Probably legal though.

What he said.

//EDIT: Oh, and I'm against selling/buying characters that are already leveled up. It's stupid. If you don't have the time then go find yourself some other game to play.

Everyone should make their own characters and build them up by theirselves.

18-01-04, 15:07
Crap idea.

Lenard
18-01-04, 15:34
if they did it for money why not just spawn capped accounts with gm weapons and stuff and ebay those?

Benjie
18-01-04, 18:06
This thread is goose.

I mean #1: Why sell exsisting accounts when they can spawn them whenether they want?
I mean #2:..........
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
I was just thinking. Should KK sell player accounts before deleting them? .
Sell them then delete them. Sounds c00l to me. ;)

Nidhogg
18-01-04, 18:14
The only contract stipulation KK have with their customers is that their account will be deleted three months after expiration, therefore that's the only thing they will do. Standard disclaimers apply. ;)

N

Quede
18-01-04, 18:29
Originally posted by Nash_Brigham
It is apart of the liscense agree that players click I agree to. Be nice if ppl actually read those disclaimer sinstead of clicking through it real fast in the install.

Click thru licenses have been declared void before.

This is a really silly thread BTW.

Quede
18-01-04, 18:30
Originally posted by Nidhogg
The only contract stipulation KK have with their customers is that their account will be deleted three months after expiration, therefore that's the only thing they will do. Standard disclaimers apply. ;)

N

I was gone close to 8 months, fortunately my account was
just as I left it. Saved m alot of time.

Zanathos
18-01-04, 18:31
Hmmmmm

No

Elric
18-01-04, 18:35
Originally posted by Nidhogg

N

so, I had to cancel last week. Does that mean, if DoY is released say 1 month from when I cancelled, My account will stay active 2 months into DoY?

If it was to stay active (and i'm sure i aint the only one thinking this) then I would probably buy DoY to try it out. If it was wiped with the rest, then I wouldnt bother (yes, the levelling and collecting stuff bores me that much).

J. Folsom
18-01-04, 18:40
Originally posted by Elric
so, I had to cancel last week. Does that mean, if DoY is released say 1 month from when I cancelled, My account will stay active 2 months into DoY?

If it was to stay active (and i'm sure i aint the only one thinking this) then I would probably buy DoY to try it out. If it was wiped with the rest, then I wouldnt bother (yes, the levelling and collecting stuff bores me that much). According to what MJS said, that'll be the case I think.

Elric
18-01-04, 18:42
i musta misread it then, I thought it meant all inactive accounts would be wiped, cheers J. ;)

Wilco
18-01-04, 18:48
Hey folks, think for one second here:

KK is the inventor & "coder" of the game... they can simply "put together" whatever character setup (including equipment) they would find suitable to achieve the most money from for selling it...

That'd just be another form of selling "capped chars" for bigger cash than the game alone.
They won't do that, as that would severely disturb their relationship with their customerbase, as now some "rich lamers" (no offense ment) could simply buy themselves their precious MC5 implants for instance.

So besides the fact, that those new owners of maybe formerly "well known NC-celebrities" could run around pretending to be someone else, there'd be no adavantage compared to a custom generated capped char described above.

As KK doesn't sell accounts including "custom capped chars", they won't sell "deactivated accs. older than 3 months".

For me it'd be a real pleasure, if they'd DELETE such accounts, as MY personal favorite nick is taken already, both, in the forums and on several servers.
I just checked, and the forums nick has a postcount of a big ZERO, and all chars with my favorite nick in game did not react on mails (sendin about one mail per month since three quarters of a year now).

So it'd be GREAT, if KK would make use of their rights and really delete accounts from their database after a too long period of abstinence... :angel:
But that won't happen either, as QUOTE "they always come back" /QUOTE... *grin*

With the coming release of NC:BDoY however, they might have decided, that it's a good idea to simply "clean up" their database...

Just my 2c, Wilco

Psycho_Soldier
18-01-04, 20:43
I want you all to keep in mind though. Players already sell accounts and items on ebay. So don't go saying, no because some rich lamers or whatever or because they won't get skill leveling up or what not because players sell there account on ebay as it is. If KK did not allow that I would not have suggested it in the first place. Also I notice some of you thinking you are funny by twisting around what I said. Now let me rephrase it just incase you aren't really smart enough to figure it out..

KK should sell the accounts instead of deleting them. If no one buys the accounts then KK deletes them. One of the main reasons I say this should happen is because not everyone will reactivate before DoY is released. Maybe 1 or 2 months later and most likely there accounts will be GONE. Which most likely will keep them from coming back because of all there hardwork is gone. Now with my idea, they would have the option to buy another account, one possible worse or better than the one they previously had.

Psycho_Soldier
18-01-04, 20:43
Oops... Double post.

Clownst0pper
18-01-04, 20:45
Is this thread a joke? :mad:

Stupid thread

LTA
18-01-04, 20:46
No.
If i aint selling it then no-one is, it's my time, money and work not kk's they provided the product and the server of which i had to pay their fee to use.

Psycho_Soldier
18-01-04, 20:49
Originally posted by LTA
No.
If i aint selling it then no-one is, it's my time, money and work not kk's they provided the product and the server of which i had to pay their fee to use.

Your account would be deleted otherwise... You guys just sound selfish, if you don't care about your account enough to keep it activated so it isn't deleted then too fucking bad.

Clownst0pper
18-01-04, 21:06
Your account would be deleted otherwise... You guys just sound selfish, if you don't care about your account enough to keep it activated so it isn't deleted then too fucking bad

U think KK have a right to earn money of others hard work?

This thread is rediculous, and who would buy them?

And im sure its illegal.

G0rt

Psycho_Soldier
18-01-04, 21:11
Originally posted by Clownst0pper
U think KK have a right to earn money of others hard work?

This thread is rediculous, and who would buy them?

And im sure its illegal.

G0rt

I doubt its illegal. Also you could say the same thing. You think KK have the right just to throw away people's hard work? Of course they do.

G.0.D.
18-01-04, 21:30
Ultima online makes charicters up and sells them on there main webpage for extra revinue.

Keiron
18-01-04, 21:31
Originally posted by G.0.D.
Ultima online makes charicters up and sells them on there main webpage for extra revinue.
They also sell houses, but that's under the table (only reason I know is, I saw my old UO house show up on E-bay one day).

Marx
18-01-04, 21:39
i doubt they would do this. reakktor isn't full of scuzzy people... and in most cases the amount of money gained off these accounts wouldn't even be enough to make it worthwhile.

hypothetically if they wanted to do this, they would probably make more money by making accounts with fully capped dudes on every server with everything they could ever possibly want...

but that would take the fun out of the game now, wouldn't it?