PDA

View Full Version : For all you BF1942 fans...

Nvidia
18-01-04, 00:54
I can't say I'm too much of a BF1942 kinda guy... the fact that it's kinda vehicle-based turns me off... still fun to play though every once in awhile. :)

Anyways, was just reading on Gamespot... there's a HUGE patch coming for BF1942...

I'll just let all you fans read it

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield1942deluxe/news_6086627.html

FINALLY! You can get rid of those pesky people who kill you for that airplane on the runway! :angel:

|Edit| Not sure if it's out yet... article was written on Friday, and I'm too lazy to check the official site :angel:

RayBob
18-01-04, 01:07
BF1942 is the only other game I play. Thanks for the info.

Scikar
18-01-04, 01:29
I guess EA has forgotten the 56k these days. The BF1942 patches are so big now they don't even appear on magazine coverdisks. :(

\\Fényx//
18-01-04, 01:31
Originally posted by Scikar
I guess EA has forgotten the 56k these days. The BF1942 patches are so big now they don't even appear on magazine coverdisks. :(

What about the PC Gamer that comes with a DVD ? Sure they can fit em on there if they tried :p

VetteroX
18-01-04, 01:35
cool. BF 1942 rocks. Glad to see its getting some free updates. I wish i saw lowering the power of flack and .50 cal vs airplanes (way too easy to shoot planes down) but oh well. looks good. you cant play bf 1942 on 56k... so they dont need to make the patch small enough... they gotta ask kk how to make a game run on 56k, then they can tell kk how to do everything else well.

\\Fényx//
18-01-04, 01:38
Originally posted by VetteroX
cool. BF 1942 rocks. Glad to see its getting some free updates. I wish i saw lowering the power of flack and .50 cal vs airplanes (way too easy to shoot planes down) but oh well. looks good.

The main problem is, that if you dont have a joystick, or a billion hours to practice with keyboard controlls, planes are pretty uch useless, What pisses me off is when you join a server and theres 1 guy dominating all in a plane, pin point accuracy thats dubious, ye may be skill etc, but it just pisses me off :p I always play medic or scout, snipings cool in BF and medic rocks, healing urself, going commando on everyones asses with the smg :D

=Chojin=
18-01-04, 02:01
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
The main problem is, that if you dont have a joystick, or a billion hours to practice with keyboard controlls, planes are pretty uch useless, What pisses me off is when you join a server and theres 1 guy dominating all in a plane, pin point accuracy thats dubious, ye may be skill etc, but it just pisses me off :p I always play medic or scout, snipings cool in BF and medic rocks, healing urself, going commando on everyones asses with the smg :D

i find planes FAR from useless and i use the keyboard and mouse.

getting a bomb through a window... now thats a nice feeling:p

KramerTheWeird
18-01-04, 02:10
Thanks for the info Nvidia :)

All of you bf1942 addicts best check on the merciless creations modification. (http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com/mercilesscreations/default.asp) It adds realism, by restoring original flags, symbols, and terrain and battle specific uniforms and vehicles. Also altered sounds, like the whirring of artillery shells or a bullet by your head, and the echo of bombardment in the distance much more realistic.

Best of all you can play it in most servers, as it only changes textures and sounds.

Scikar
18-01-04, 02:15
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
What about the PC Gamer that comes with a DVD ? Sure they can fit em on there if they tried :p

I have a subscription to it. :p

And Vet, BF1942 is easily playable on a 56k. I manage just fine, even sniping. I only ever have trouble with patches. Just because I'm not the best assaulter in the game isn't going to stop me playing it. I can play fine at DoD, NS and other games, you just have to accept that other people have a 150ms advantage.

Psyco Groupie
18-01-04, 02:47
bit late, cod came out :P

only thing bf has over cod is planes .. and they are pretty useless :P

=Chojin=
18-01-04, 02:48
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
bit late, cod came out :P

only thing bf has over cod is planes .. and they are pretty useless :P

tbh i dont think u can compare the two. cos even tho there both ww2 games
there styles are completely diffrent

Tazo
18-01-04, 02:54
Originally posted by Scikar
four words: need for speed underground. if you call them "yeah hi, i cannot play nfsu online, i keep getting kicked, oh btw, im on 56k" they say "broadband is required to play nfsu kthxbye".

ea have been on a "upgrade or suck it" course for quite some time...

Scikar
18-01-04, 05:29
Yeah, shame upgrading requires that I move house. :(

ichinin
18-01-04, 07:56
Gotten tired of BF, but not of DC. Beta 0.6 was the coolest ever. Silent heroes is also looking promising.

Spectra260
18-01-04, 09:13
TBH i wish all dev teams would forget about 56kers and leave em in the dust...

i had to go years with 56K because there was no cable in my area, so dont say im lucky that i have it!!

i called the local cable ISP people like once-twice a week...bugging the shit out of them untill they ran a line to my street...

MrBane
18-01-04, 10:30
Aircraft in BF1942 are possibly one of the best executed uses of vehicles I have ever come across. I've got a Saitek Cyborg 3d Rumble joystick, with nine immediate buttons, and a further five in the thumb toggle stick. Full throttle control, and can I just say, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baby.

Seriously though, pop out and buy a basic £10 joystick, the difference is huuuuuge!

Scikar
18-01-04, 16:55
Originally posted by Spectra260

i had to go years with 56K because there was no cable in my area, so dont say im lucky that i have it!!

i called the local cable ISP people like once-twice a week...bugging the shit out of them untill they ran a line to my street...

There are no local cable ISPs where I live. There is literally nobody to call and bug. My telephone exchange is too far away to get ADSL, I can't exactly phone them up and say "Please relocate your exchange closer to my house!" Ditching people still forced to use 56ks wouldn't solve anything, except reduce potential sales.

Liquid_Ice
19-01-04, 04:42
If your really wanting higher d/l speeds check into satelite.. I have seen a few push and pull systems that don't require a modem for upstream.. Also back before I got cable in my area I had a second phone line installed and ran 2 modems at the same time and it made a great improvement over the single 56k..
Yes both modems ran off the same account and I didn't care if it was legal or not...

VetteroX
19-01-04, 04:50
I use the planes pretty well... usually get good kills when using em. I just HATE when some little dick sits in the AA all day and you dont have a chance in flying in certain areas... ruins the fun, just like ppus who show up when im pking. I do think planes should be able to be shot down but its just TOO easy... it takes no skill what so ever... and the range is insane. Even the .30 cal and .50 cals mounted on vehicles and in towers SHRED planes... try bombing a tank with a guy manning the turret maine gun whos not asleep... you get one pass... if you try a second you will be shot down. and unlike all other vehicles u cant exactly get out mid flight and repair it. I sometimes land and repair my plane but some assholes usually attempts to steal my plane, or a tank an enemy tank rolls up right as i land....

I use mouse and keyboard for the planes and have quite a high kill ratio in dog fights... not gonna buy a stick for 1 game and only a piece of game.

Marx
19-01-04, 05:00
bf > cod

why you ask?

no fucking bunny hopping

ex-machina
19-01-04, 11:37
Originally posted by Spectra260

way to exclude a shit load of the population who can't actually get broadband.

Still, as long as you're fulfilling your selfish idiot quota for the hour, fuck em, huh?

:rolleyes:

Hayato
19-01-04, 12:33
right now im playing CoD but i did play DC on BF1942 which is a great mod. Only bad thing aobut CoD right _NOW_ is the bunnies that u meet i hope the patch comes out soon!

KramerTheWeird
19-01-04, 21:04
I love bunny hopping. If you can't kill a bunny hopper, you need to work on your skills :)

Marx
19-01-04, 22:10
he pressed ctrl at the wrong time (http://www.tech-sol.net/humor/soldier.jpg).

:p

killing bunny hoppers is easy, but lets look at the facts. how many people go bunny hopping with the bolt actions?

bunny hop + spray to play style gun = lots of head/upper chest shots.

head/upper chest = instant death.

Cruzbroker
19-01-04, 22:34
BF1942 is good, but I feel EA is messing it up, not dice, or if it is dice, they both suck.

What tells a patch 1.5 which finally includes after a year from release some weapons that should've been there from the beginning. And 1.6 has IL..

Week old news ;) Though it comes before feb... http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/1942/us/editorial/community_message_41.jsp

metalangel
19-01-04, 22:36
BF1942 has increasing trouble fitting on my hard drive (in fact, it 'fell off' the other day, heh heh)

That said, the planes are excellent, the Battle of Britain map is my personal favourite, and you can get those AA guys too... dive bomb 'em! Nothing is cooler than the engine screaming in an almost vertical dive before dropping a bomb right into the AA's face. The game even forces you to adopt tactics based on your planes (the 109, for example, can't outturn the Spitfire so you have to use its climbing power to your advantage).

I really must re-install it one of these days, it's one of the few FPS games out there that 'clicked' with my brain and I became good at. I was a Major on BFStats for a while...

Scikar
19-01-04, 23:43
Yeah metalangel is right about the AAs, put the plane in a vertical dive so the air screams past, and it's near impossible to miss. It makes bombing a little risky, but it's worth it if you're facing an AA or a tank with a gunner in the turret.

Also worth checking out is BattleGroup 42, adds a shedload of new vehicles, tank destroyers, fixed AT guns and howitzers, light tanks which can spot for artillery, more realistically positioned machine guns on tanks, and improved APCs.

=Chojin=
19-01-04, 23:50
desert combat = teh win

except when u get kicked cos of pwning the other team at there base... like wtf are u ment to do if they havent got any other spawn points ....go let them capture one?
cheez just change class and nail me with antiair u nibs.