PDA

View Full Version : Messed up Winxp install

Mirco
16-01-04, 21:15
Hey guys.

Just did a format and re-install of windows. I went away from the screen when the installation started. When I came back I had a black screen. I tried to alt,ctrl,del, but it didnt work. So pressed the reset button and figured that the install was shit. When it restarted it worked like a dream though and I had no problems after that.

I`ve done the windowsupdates and dx9b and now I get 2 notifications everytime I boot up. Its after I logged in under my user. It says windows cant find aslm75.sys and asmiHwIo.dll.

Its so damn irritating because I`ve just finished restoring my backup files and installed programs. Anyone know if I can just find these files somewhere else(not able to locate them on winxp install disk) and if it can be a major problem? There can be other stuff that is missing that I haven`t uncovered yet. I know I probably should have installed all over again, but at the time I didnt get any errors so chose not to.

Q`alooaith
16-01-04, 21:20
If you've still got your backup's and such, reinstall, and then put the update's on and such first..
oh and stay at the comp with a book or somthing during the install, see if it throw's any error's up..

Now if you've not got any backup's anymore for whatever reason, either suck it up and live with the problem untill somthing stop's working (not recomended), or backup again and install, the file's are compressed on the install disk most likey so not fun digging them off..

Scikar
16-01-04, 21:23
Get a friend with XP to copy the files (most likely in the /system32 directory) and send them to you. Try putting your WinXP disk in and seeing if the installer can repair broken files. Failing that, only choice is a reinstall really.

Scikar
16-01-04, 21:29
Actually scratch that. I just ran a scan for those files in my /Windows directory here and didn't find either of them. I can't honestly be bothered to search my whole disk for them since I want to play NS. But I didn't find them in /Windows so my guess is, either they're on XP Pro and not Home (my comp with Pro on is broken atm so can't check) or they aren't Windows files. I strongly suspect it's the latter. Go to Start -> Run and type msconfig. Fire that up and go to the Startup tab. See if you can find entries referencing those files. If you can, you should be able to figure out which programs they refer to. That way you'll know which programs need reinstalling. Failing that, try running regedit instead and do a search for the files in there.

Mirco
16-01-04, 21:40
tnx guys.

Edit: I did the regedit search and found some reference to both the files in search assistant\acrmu\5603. Well, now I gotten to paranoid now. I fear that something else is broken. Think I`m going to reinstall all over. Its better to do that than to be forced to do it at a time you didnt choose. Time to suck it up :(

Scikar
16-01-04, 21:49
Well first I'd find out what Search Assistant is and how it got there. Because Windows can search your hard drive or network on its own and Google will cover the Internet, so if anything it sounds like spyware to me.

Mirco
16-01-04, 22:04
I did a ad-aware search and then a spybot search. Both showed something called alexa which is spyware. I deleted it and now I dont get the to notifications anymore. No change in the registry though. Well, I`ll think a little about what I want to do. Tnx alot for your help.