PDA

View Full Version : Sims online story

Archeus
16-01-04, 17:37
http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/news/story.jsp?story=481707

Kind of strange how a game that is pushed to teenagers is actually a bit more preverse then a game aimed at a mature audience (and has actual hookers in it).

Lathuc
16-01-04, 17:46
pmsl you can't trust teenagers that play sims to not do those things pmsl

rob444
16-01-04, 17:47
Who plays the sims anyway? :eek:

Andronicus
16-01-04, 17:51
Last paragraph is rather interesting,

"Online economies can even intermingle with the real one. Last month, a court in Beijing ruled in favour of Li Hongchen who sued the operator of the online game Red Moon after his virtual money and weapons were stolen by a hacker. The court said that because the virtual goods had been acquired using his labour, time, cash and "wisdom", they belonged to him and had real value."

Judge
16-01-04, 17:56
Oh blah-fucking-blah.... jeesus, if the kids want to be evil little buggers then i say its better that they do it in a computer game, which may I point out ISN'T REALY, than do it in real life.

Jest
16-01-04, 18:13
Heh, I guess it isn't a "carebear" game after all. ;)

robinitnow
16-01-04, 18:21
sounds like a fun game

numb
16-01-04, 18:33
Originally posted by robinitnow
sounds like a fun game

Yeah it was slightly tempting until you read the part about the discipline given to the people making it interesting after the article was published. And like that.. the fun part disappeared :)

Ran
16-01-04, 19:08
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/15/technology/15SIMS.html

Made the front page of the NY Times yesterday also. A bit late from what I remember about the guy, but still interesting that MMOGs are front-page news now.

El_MUERkO
16-01-04, 19:18
Online economies can even intermingle with the real one. Last month, a court in Beijing ruled in favour of Li Hongchen who sued the operator of the online game Red Moon after his virtual money and weapons were stolen by a hacker. The court said that because the virtual goods had been acquired using his labour, time, cash and "wisdom", they belonged to him and had real value.

KK beware :eek:

Q`alooaith
16-01-04, 20:01
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
KK beware :eek:

If they is smart, if they have not already, they could add a line to the DoY term's of service, stateing that you the player, have no real world claim over any in game item's or object's and that KK is not respoible for the loss or theift of any in game assests..

or word's to that effect, might be in agreement you have to agree to before you install Neocron, though I'd have to check..

Anna
16-01-04, 20:25
Originally posted by Ran
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/15/technology/15SIMS.html

Made the front page of the NY Times yesterday also. A bit late from what I remember about the guy, but still interesting that MMOGs are front-page news now.
you have to be registered in order to read anything, could you copy paste it? not sure if it brakes any copyright rules though

Archeus
17-01-04, 08:12
Just register as Hamish the Camel jockey living in Afganistan and making 200k+ a year.

Good old Hamish.

Leebzie
17-01-04, 12:16
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
they could add a line to the DoY term's of service, stateing that you the player, have no real world claim over any in game item's or object's and that KK is not respoible for the loss or theift of any in game assests...

Hmmm, just thinking, do you thinking they could enforce that statement onto you IRL, like in a job contract : *if we let someone steal your pay at the end of the month, we aren't responsible, no matter how many hours you slaved away* ?

There are probably places like that I guess...

When it comes to replacing items, id like more lax security (yep) because the fact other people might be lying and getting free items, bothers me far less than the fact that if all my stuff dissapears for no reason, I cant get it back. Id rather feel safe about that.

And on thread starters topic, I played TSO in the beta stages (i like to give all games a chance in the early stages) and really, the winners are the ones who climb to the top by backstabbing and crushing. Once you get a foothold in TSO aswell, its hard to lose it.

I love stories like that, just gives a great represntation of mankind.

Q`alooaith
17-01-04, 14:27
Originally posted by Leebzie
Hmmm, just thinking, do you thinking they could enforce that statement onto you IRL, like in a job contract : *if we let someone steal your pay at the end of the month, we aren't responsible, no matter how many hours you slaved away* ?

No no no... KK would, could still deal out new gear to you if you had been wronged and such..

But you couldn't take em to court and get them to pay real money for the loss of your item's, which is a good thing since in this game you can be ripped off at every turn, hell the keylogger in another program (which people where advised not to DL or use) let people empty out account's and such, which was terible, just think what would have happened had somone tryd to sue (well they'd have lost since they'd let somone put a keylogger on their machine and such)..

IRL it's more like the contract saying "If somone break's into our vault and steal's all our money, your pay will be suspended untill a later date" not exactly that, but you get the idea, you might have worked hard for your company, but if they get ripped off and can't afford to pay you and it's not realy their fault or it is their fault, they don't have to pay you till they got the problem sorted..