PDA

View Full Version : Handling on spells. Fact or Fiction

Promethius
16-01-04, 00:38
I've heard many rumors about thsi subject, and i would like some official word on this:

Handling:
- effects how well u use spells.
- helps you run-cast spells
- as useless as a psi-resister chip

Anyone KNOW for sure wat handling on spells does?

Ryuben
16-01-04, 00:48
now i was told it was the rate at wich it degraded (needed repair :p)

but *shrugs*

Promethius
16-01-04, 00:58
Originally posted by Ryuben
now i was told it was the rate at wich it degraded (needed repair :p)

but *shrugs*

yea theres alot fo rumors out there (tho i think that repairer lied to u ^^) but none the less i wouldn't mind if a GM/MOD or watever could clear this up.

not sure if this is like a 'secret' thing they can't tell us about....kinda like doy =P.

FirestarXL
16-01-04, 01:23
Yes, please please please please please answer this someone who is either official or someone who has done very extensive and recreatable tests.

Oath
16-01-04, 01:26
Could be...... then again mebbe not.

Psycho Killa
16-01-04, 01:42
From my personal experience Handling does jack shit.

It may have changed or i may have missed something but i dont beleive so.

Archeus
16-01-04, 01:44
Handling improves the overall quality of the item so it doesn't decay as fast and can last longer when repaired.

not sure about runcasting. Some people say it will.

Carinth
16-01-04, 01:50
Handling does nothing for psi mods. I've heard rumours about it improving run casting or lessening fizzling, but theres not proof for that. Just like somoene always steps up and says psi resist actualy does something. Nope, sorry : p

FirestarXL
16-01-04, 01:54
That's why we need this answered, it's a basic game mechanic and there are two schools of opinion and both contain some very experienced people. Would it really hurt us to know for sure? What would be the negative consequences, can someone answer that?

ezza
16-01-04, 02:00
im sure i saw a GM post that it effects the aim on the gun

oops lol well umm KK are gonna give spells a aim so thats what it will do

sigh ill refrain from posting in threads that require intelligence

Psycho Killa
What gun? Lol (Handling on SPELLS)

BombShell
iheard it helps ur aim.

o wait monks dont need to aim just. click click click :)

ezza
16-01-04, 02:04
heres a quote from Lupus

A quick answer to that is the Handling stat is what adjusts the aim

seeing as like bombshell pointed out monks dont need aim(click,click,click and all that:p )then it has no effect

g0rt
16-01-04, 02:14
If a stat does something, it should alter the statistics on the weapon.

A holy lightning with 0% handling would have the EXACT SAME STATS on a capped APU then a holy lightning wiht 120% handling

For this reason and this reason only, I don't believe handling effects spells...just as it doesn't effect melee.

Point and click shouldn't need handling

funkeymonkey
16-01-04, 02:50
I also thought handeling only affected how fast the spell degrades. I dont think handling helps you to stop fizzling out, wether your spell fizzes out or not depends on the dmg % u have on it.

Cytaur
16-01-04, 03:02
handling on a psi spell determines if you drop it in the middle of combat or not - like soap in teh shower :)

Promethius
16-01-04, 03:35
well i just wish a GM/mod would just humor me and answer this question again.

In my experiences it does nothing. But some people swaer on there lives it affects spells. Handling, degrading, helping DOY get here faster it, who konws for sure wat handling does.

(btw if it did nothing they should have it say N/A) or somethign on the stat for it).

DonnyJepp
16-01-04, 04:23
Originally posted by g0rt
If a stat does something, it should alter the statistics on the weapon.

A holy lightning with 0% handling would have the EXACT SAME STATS on a capped APU then a holy lightning wiht 120% handling

For this reason and this reason only, I don't believe handling effects spells...just as it doesn't effect melee.

Point and click shouldn't need handling

If a stat doesn't affect the actual performance of a spell, it should be blanked out in the info. Why should they even show the handling stat if it does nada? Kind of like how the damage % doesn't affect boosters, that ought to be blanked out too. I assume that is why level 3 boosts must be store bought, cause damage doesn't matter.

Just my thought.

Cytaur
16-01-04, 05:16
heal doesnt matter either, it has fixed health/min rate

Melkior
16-01-04, 05:50
afaik it affects runcasting....but i may be wrong...or a n00b...or both....yup...most likely both....

Carinth
16-01-04, 06:10
Originally posted by DonnyJepp
If a stat doesn't affect the actual performance of a spell, it should be blanked out in the info. Why should they even show the handling stat if it does nada? Kind of like how the damage % doesn't affect boosters, that ought to be blanked out too. I assume that is why level 3 boosts must be store bought, cause damage doesn't matter.

Just my thought.

Please tell me what the Psi Resist skill does under Psi. What does damage% do on a holy anti shock spell? What does range% do on a heal sanctum (hint: actual range is static for the spell)? How about damage% for construction boost 3. Damage% for the soul cluster spell. I hate to break it to ya, but the game is not polished. There are rough edges and useless items/stats/skills. For even better proof, try opening up your skill window and going to one of the main stats, say Int. Click on the question mark in the top right for "help" about the skills under Int. You will either be totaly confused or get a good laugh out of it. I believe it still says will power influences psi ability.

Archeus
16-01-04, 08:48
Pretty sure Damage on PPU spells effects the duration effects of that spell.

Carinth
16-01-04, 09:03
Archeus, Duration is static for each spell type. A heal is always 60 seconds, a shelter is always 2 minutes, etc

Damage increases potency (better shelter/def/heal, stronger apu dmg) and/or increases your chance at run casting. Unfortuanetly ppu's dont get the second option most of the time, we can at best walk cast.

JackScratch
16-01-04, 09:31
So tell me again how you pro's tested and found that handleing doesn't effect anything? I would love to know how you made a conciderable difference in Handleing then tested to see if you fizzled more or less. I mean the very thought of testing something like that is like counting the nuber of grains of rice in a bag of the stuff, it's silly, unless ther is a sugnificant difference you just can't see it. It is possible to runcast. Some people can runcast some modules that others can't. It's pretty hard (imposible0 to make a sugnificant change in Damage without makeing one in Handleing. So where is all this comeing from?

TheEnemy
16-01-04, 10:24
Psi resistance gives you resistance to "psi damage", which is useless because no weapon does "psi damage" right now (who knows if this will be implemented ever?)

There are mods specifically for improving handling of psi modules so you'd assume it had some effect, but nobody seems to know. In any case I haven't noticed any difference so I wouldn't bother with it.

slaughteruall
16-01-04, 10:35
imposible0 to make a sugnificant change in Damage without makeing one in Handleing

I beg to differ. Only 2 mods besides the ultima afect handling. The only reason people even use the Psi-Handling-Poweramplifier is to get the 5% dmg. So lets see here i can cap get 113% Dmg 109 FREQ 109 RNG 109 handling on a Holy shelter that is 4 slots. With a 5 slot i can cap any stat. And if it was only 3 slots the handling would still only be 98 the dmg would be 117 and still with 109 Freq. All of this is with a ultima mod. The only things that raise handling that people use is the ultima mod and the Psi-Handling-Poweramplifier.

Psi-Module-Enhancement cond+11% dmg+16%
Psi-Frequency-Amplifier freq+18%
Psi-Handling-Amplifier handl+18%
Psi-Range-Amplifier rng+18%
Psi-Frequency-PowerAmplifier freq+11% dmg+5%
Psi-Handling-Poweramplifier handl+11% dmg+5%
Psi-Range-Poweramplifier rng+11% dmg+5%
Larent Psi-Module-Enhancement cond+16% dmg+23%
Psi-Ultima-Amplifier dmg+14% freq+14% handl+14% rng+14%

From neocron.ems.ru

Slaughter

Archeus
16-01-04, 11:32
Originally posted by Carinth
Archeus, Duration is static for each spell type. A heal is always 60 seconds, a shelter is always 2 minutes, etc

Duration may be static on the spell descriptions but I have noticed reproducable differences in PPU spells based on Damage and PPW.

Lower levels of the same spell cause the spell to decay faster.

SynC_187
16-01-04, 14:39
My spells with better handling do seem to fizzle less, but I haven't done any "proper testing".

L0KI
16-01-04, 14:56
Ive done some testing. Capped, 4 slot HL with Following stats...

Dmg 120
Freq 120
Handling 106
Range 120

Used by a base PSI 92 APU monk.

Run cast tests, no fizzles, no problems whatsoever. - Exactly the same as the All stats 120 Holy Lightning.

Thats a 14% difference. As you all know, 14% dmg or freq difference on a HL for a level 92 base psi APU is MASSIVE. Severely gimps dmg/freq. This 14% handling loss made NO noticeable difference whatsoever.

This doesnt mean handling does nothing, just nothing greatly noticeable.

El Barto
16-01-04, 15:49
I thought it helped you run cast a spell if you don't cap it normally, but Iwas never really sure.

Strych9
16-01-04, 16:01
Regarding the handling = slower degredation of the item, that is SORTA true.

We KNOW for a fact that the higher the %s on an item are, the slower it becomes damaged.

That being the case, a 120/120/120/106 spell will degrade slightly faster than a 120/120/120/120 spell would.

So in that sense, and that sense alone, handling DOES effect how fast the item is damaged... but it effects it just as much as the other three stats do.

Glyc
16-01-04, 16:06
as per usual a million people with a million ideas. why not just wait for a mod/gm to tell us. or pm a mod/gm/kk to get attention. mulling over the infinite possibilities is pointless imho. some people have decided that they are the source of all things NC and should be listened to. this is mostly the reason i dont read the forums much these days cos it's always the same old shiznit going on. "nerf - something killed me" "kk answer me this or i quit" "who's the best *?" "i gotta lick some ass now cos im bored and want attention" "people with too much time on their hands and too much need for recognition". you dont need people on the forums to hear your every thought u know.

ok rant over. the last stuff wasn't refering to anything in particular about this thread. but the top was. im just grumpy cos i cant get my tech of DS on pluto. dm if u have one for trade/sale.

Glyc - hated by some - loved by some.

Promethius
16-01-04, 20:38
So once again.....any Gms/ or officials can make a erply about this?

J. Folsom
16-01-04, 21:43
Originally posted by Carinth
For even better proof, try opening up your skill window and going to one of the main stats, say Int. Click on the question mark in the top right for "help" about the skills under Int. You will either be totaly confused or get a good laugh out of it. I believe it still says will power influences psi ability. It does, sort of.

However, it doesn't list Willpower under intelligence, it actually lists it under Psi-Power, which was where it used to be. That move was also the reason why certain classes of monks started with more skill points in Intelligence then in Psi-Power for a looong time.