PDA

View Full Version : [OT] How do you uninstall Direct X?

Benjie
15-01-04, 15:52
This is really stupid. For some reason I want to play Requiem again. I have Direct X 9.1 installed, when I run Requiem it tells me I need Direct X 6 or higher. :confused:o_O So yeah I thought I'd 'humor' it and install Direct X 6 temporarily to play it, but it won't install because I have a 'better version'.

Urm, what can I do? lol:lol:

DigestiveBiscui
15-01-04, 15:54
its a BUGGER to un-install - i did it once but remembering how is another matter :p

tell me, how much do you love the game you want to play, because if its not much...then i wouldnt go through the hassle

Benjie
15-01-04, 15:59
Originally posted by DigestiveBiscui
its a BUGGER to un-install - i did it once but remembering how is another matter :p

tell me, how much do you love the game you want to play, because if its not much...then i wouldnt go through the hassle
How hard exactly? My PC lvl is I can build PC's and stuff. I also use mapping tools for 3d games. Is it really that hard?

phunqe
15-01-04, 16:19
I would say coding your own unreal engine might be easier :p

Have seen instructions on the web somewhere.. try teh google :)

FirestarXL
15-01-04, 16:22
Originally posted by Benjie
How hard exactly? My PC lvl is I can build PC's and stuff. I also use mapping tools for 3d games. Is it really that hard?

Well, let's just say it's not as easy as pressing an uninstall button. DirectX was designed so that it cannot be uninstalled since it is backwards compatible (usually incompatibility is the fault of the game), and in order to force an uninstall you would be hacking your own operating system including replacing protected files and making registry changes.

As the biscuit said, be really really sure that this game is absoloutely worth the risk of breaking your OS, then google for further information. Though I would reccomend searching for workarounds related to that particular game first, there might be a patch or something.

Benjie
15-01-04, 16:24
ok. thnx.;) I will probabally not do it then. :rolleyes:

Psyco Groupie
15-01-04, 17:12
its not possible :)

GT_Rince
15-01-04, 17:15
It's not possible 'cos MS says it's not possible (when I called their helpdesk). I know, 'cos the last time I installed 9.1, NC wouldn't work and the only alternative was to roll back to a previous known working profile. It still didn't work after that so I just ended up rebuilding.

Omnituens
15-01-04, 18:00
DX 9.1???

i got DX 9.0b, and 9.1 isnt listed as an update for me. wtf.

MjukisDjur
15-01-04, 18:01
DX messes with core components which makes it virually impossible to uninstall. Of course there will always be a way like uninstalling IE but the system will be beyond repair...

FirestarXL
16-01-04, 01:19
It's not impossible per se, but I wouldn't recommend anyone do it, that's for sure, unless you are expert level in OS knowledge and really really need to get rid of it.

The MS helpdesk will say it's impossible because if they said anything else they would be reqiured to provide support and instructions for its removal. But they never intended it to be removed, so they say what they have to.

Haxxor
16-01-04, 01:36
http://www.dxbuster.de/index_e.html

Direct X Buster will do the job :D :D :D

To Uninstall Direct X 9 from XP DL this and read the read me

http://www.3dcenter.org/downloads/directx-dx9uninstaller.php

FirestarXL
16-01-04, 01:48
Originally posted by Haxxor
http://www.dxbuster.de/index_e.html

Direct X Buster will do the job :D :D :D

To Uninstall Direct X 9 from XP DL this and read the read me

http://www.3dcenter.org/downloads/directx-dx9uninstaller.php

See, probably about 30 secs on google for those links. But use at your own risk ladies and gentlemen! :D

jernau
20-01-04, 23:55
I know this is a few days old but I have something to add so don't hammer me.

Requiem has a patch to run it on later versions of DX.

I can't remember where I found it but I used it a while back to play it under DX8. Try google again I guess.

I would never recommend trying to uninstall DX unless Windows is already irreperably damaged.

btw - Requiem rocks. Time slowing in that game is a million times better than "bullet time" in Max Payne. Loads and loads of other cool shit too.

Benjie
21-01-04, 00:22
Originally posted by jernau
I know this is a few days old but I have something to add so don't hammer me.

Requiem has a patch to run it on later versions of DX.

I can't remember where I found it but I used it a while back to play it under DX8. Try google again I guess.

I would never recommend trying to uninstall DX unless Windows is already irreperably damaged.

btw - Requiem rocks. Time slowing in that game is a million times better than "bullet time" in Max Payne. Loads and loads of other cool shit too.
Yeah I dound that. Thanks :) but the sound is fubar and I forgot what the hell I was supposed to do. Gave up on it soon after playing it but i will probabally start again later.

thnx 4 the tip. :)