PDA

View Full Version : OT : dsl router bandwidth control

Glyc
15-01-04, 04:55
hiho my lovelies and cleverclogs.......

got a question :)

basically, im getting dsl soon. and need to know what's the best setup. i need to control the bandwidth on my 3 pc network that will recieve the net, because i wanna guarantee bandwidth for my fps playing, ie ping isnt borked by others use of kazaa etc ;) . i know i could do this software but i'd prefer to do it with a router. i know you can get dsl routers with bandwidth control (BC), but i'd prefer not to have to buy a top of the line model ;) so basically i want to know other peoples experiences, or if you know if BD is a fairly common facility on the routers.

kurai
15-01-04, 05:27
Unfortunately not a common feature at all in low end/consumer level routers.

ZoneVortex
15-01-04, 05:30
ahhh glyc finally got his answer now i can live in peace

jernau
15-01-04, 05:51
What Kurai said basically.

IME even the routers that do have it aren't great at filtering by protocol so if you want to play games on the same PC you are downloading on it's better to use something like netlimiter locally.

There are some linux apps you can use use to build your own router to do the job on an old PC. It's a cheap solution if you really want to combine throttling and routing but the same problems can arise.

Lenard
15-01-04, 06:09
Get software based bandwidth limiters on the computers which you want to limit.

Net Limiter is nice I used to use it.

Glyc
15-01-04, 06:21
well it'd be a different computer that might be d/l on. basically i dont wanna be hassled when playing fps (ie needing best ping possible (though max data needed would be about 10k/sec)), and allow other people to browse web, download etc etc.

so.......

jernau
15-01-04, 06:28
If you only DL on one machine just put netlimiter on it. No need for a anything more complex.

I'm assuming you don't run a mail server btw. Netlimiter has a nasty habit of breaking mail servers.

Lenard
15-01-04, 07:02
Originally posted by Glyc
well it'd be a different computer that might be d/l on. basically i dont wanna be hassled when playing fps (ie needing best ping possible (though max data needed would be about 10k/sec)), and allow other people to browse web, download etc etc.

so.......

Well downloading anything will lower your ping, Trust me I Have DSL and I have a download computer and a gaming computer. When i play WolfET and i have a ping of say 60. Even if I download like 5 k/s on my download computer my ping will rise.

If you want to have the best ping possible the best thing to do is to just not download. Either that or get two DSL lines sir, theres nothing else you can really do.

But if all you want is just 10k/s install Net Limiter on your download computer and set it to like 50k/s max download