PDA

View Full Version : Templars

Illion
14-01-04, 12:05
The BBC put this up... thought it was cool..!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/myths_legends/england/beds_herts_bucks/

Ill.

Gotterdammerung
14-01-04, 12:12
Interesting, I always enjoy reading about things like that. Ihavn't read the whole article yet but i do know that the templars were the forebearers to the free masons and the truer (in their opinion) branch is called "the ancient and accepted scottish rite"

A very interesting book in which the templars play a big role is Umberto Eco's "Focault's Pendelum" It's very complex but if you have the time I recommend it

14-01-04, 13:20
ya i saw something like that on Discovery a while ago, pretty interesting stuff, nice that clans think of a decent name, rather then stuff like 'the pwners' etc, you only have to look at the clan lists (which need a serious clean out) for evidence

But in that article or the tv show there was no mention of the c22 bytor, whats up with that?

your thoughts?
:)

sanityislost
14-01-04, 16:16
lol i learned everything i need to know about the Templars from Broken Sword :p :p :p

Stigmata
14-01-04, 16:24
i thought this was gonna be about some of the assholes in game.

oh well

Parker
14-01-04, 16:25
Bah - yet another article/thread where I don't get mentioned. I think I'm going to start a thread "vote for the best PE with the initials JP who started the templars on saturn"

Maybe I might win that one... but it might be close...

JP

Babes
14-01-04, 16:30
Originally posted by stigmata
i thought this was gonna be about some of the assholes in game.

oh well

NOW NOW No need for that !! lets keep it civil.

And i Agree with Gotterdammerung the History of The Knights Templar is very interesting stuff.

JP chose the name well. If not the Best PE Award ....the BEST thought Clan name at least :) Got to be better than NAT (or Hippy Oranges as i call them)

Illion
14-01-04, 16:44
Originally posted by Parker
Bah - yet another article/thread where I don't get mentioned. I think I'm going to start a thread "vote for the best PE with the initials JP who started the templars on saturn"

Maybe I might win that one... but it might be close...

JP

HeHe, sorry dude - you are 'The Don'...!!!!!

And @ Stigmata, if you have a problem with the templars, spit it out..!

Ill.

Archeus
14-01-04, 17:43
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
A very interesting book in which the templars play a big role is Umberto Eco's "Focault's Pendelum" It's very complex but if you have the time I recommend it

Ahh but if you read the book, you will find they don't play a big role at all (can't explain more without ruining the actual plot to the book).

Haxxor
14-01-04, 17:49
Scottish? :D

Stigmata
14-01-04, 18:01
HeHe, sorry dude - you are 'The Don'...!!!!!

And @ Stigmata, if you have a problem with the templars, spit it out..!

Ill.

you know i have a prob with them or i would not have re-joined FA and re-formed NAT.

But that is to be "kept ingame"

so jp you a free mason or a wannabe mason ?

Parker
14-01-04, 18:04
Actually - just realised that there is a thread about the venus clan Templiers umm in French. Is this one of those parallel universes? (and they appear to be in city admin! sacre bleu!)

(AND they probably have a PE called Jean-Paul - and he's probably a better PE than me too.... D'oh)

JP

Parker
14-01-04, 18:06
Stigmata

Umm my lodge rules say I can't answer if I'm a free mason or not...

JP.

Stigmata
14-01-04, 18:08
so you are the leader...aka castoff ?

or just the person that came up with the name ?

Parker
14-01-04, 18:14
Stigmata

Ah that's old news. I started the clan and was leader but I wasn't really playing enough to be a good leader and also I'm useless at day to day clan things so I asked Castoff to take over. I think technically me, Zonk & Castoff share responsibility of the clan's politics but since I've only just returned after a 2 month break from NC I know far too little about what's happening in NC to decide anything.

Coming back - lots have changed. I'm sad to see New Dawn split up since you guys always were a tough fight and I'm still feeling my way around with in-clan stuff (there are quite a few people I don't even know)

Still - it's interesting & fun - and that's all you can ask of a game isn't it?

John

Stigmata
14-01-04, 18:25
I'm still feeling my way around with in-clan stuff (there are quite a few people I don't even know)

185 members not un-usual if you dont know people, we had 120 at one time and i went through the list and kicked a shit load of people simply becuase i had never heard of them

Richard Blade
14-01-04, 18:29
** Formed to protect pilgrams on their way to the holy land.

When JP started the Templars, he did so with the intention of helping newbies. I regret that I lost contact with JP and my constructor didn't get to help with the 'weapons for newbies' plan.

** Retaking Jerusalem

Templars started in the direction they are headed today as a result of a certain faction owning all the ops.
The city factions needed some spine. Templars stood and delivered.

** Philip the Fair accuses Templars of bad things.

If certain members of that clan are less than worthy of the name, don't hold that against them as a whole. I've seen members of several different clans that tend to act the twat most of the time.

From what I read of that article, it seems that history is repeating itself in the game.

This isn't meant as an argument, nor as something that should 'stay in game'. It is meant as a bit of history from Saturn, and it's comparrison to the real Knights Templar.

Parker
14-01-04, 18:43
Richard Blade

Wow. I'm amazed that somebody else sees the same parallels that I do. We didn't really plan it to go this way (except the first part - we were trying to capture the idea of the original Knight Templar but in the future age and that involved protecting those weaker than us when travelling the wastelands and giving alms to the new) - but the rest just happened - we were lucky to have such a strong enemy to fight against though.

My worry is that the analogy between the historical templars and the neo-templars continues and we become too big & too powerful and (and perhaps too lazy) and get eventually destroyed by this.

We'll see.

John Parker