PDA

View Full Version : Partial Item Wipe: good or bad?

Benjie
13-01-04, 21:53
Heres a thought; partial item wipe.

If every item ingame was deleted including money, but excluding items 'saved' in your go guardian and/or starter appartment, then lag problems on servers like saturn would probabally clear up quite a lot. People have responded negatively to the thought of loosing all there hard work as result from a total wipe, but if you could keep everything in your go guardian, or everything in your starter appartment cabinets, how would you respond then? That way you could save your MC5 chips, your 7 slotted CS from years ago, your hordes of tiger blood and cresent tabs and stuff.

Take lag into consideration. The tradeon is quite good.

Shadow Dancer
13-01-04, 21:54
if i could save stuff on my gogo, that would be a good compromise imo. that's if a wipe is even needed at all.

Benjie
13-01-04, 21:55
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
if i could save stuff on my gogo, that would be a good compromise imo. that's if a wipe is even needed at all.
On pluto it's not, but have you been to saturn recently? Lag is pretty bad there.

g0rt
13-01-04, 22:14
could be good if you can save ur valuables

would encourage people to sell all thier junk or throw it away :P

ghandisfury
13-01-04, 22:17
They should hold an event that would you could have 10 rare items or 5 slotted tl85 stuff, bring it to a GM and he would spawn you an MC5 part (not the full chip) of your choice. Would be pretty cool.:angel:

=Chojin=
13-01-04, 22:21
we shouldnt need to make that compromise anyway.

t0tt3
13-01-04, 22:21
Wonder why Saturn lags more then pluto :rolleyes:

300 - 400 ish x 4 chars with stock of items... well that could be it :p

1 char server pwns :D

/no I dont have 2 accs...

Drake6k
13-01-04, 22:57
um hell no

g0rt
13-01-04, 23:01
Originally posted by t0tt3
Wonder why Saturn lags more then pluto :rolleyes:

300 - 400 ish x 4 chars with stock of items... well that could be it :p

1 char server pwns :D

/no I dont have 2 accs...

would...be.......so........boring..............

Sir ramic hobbs
13-01-04, 23:11
I think the problem is you guys who would be happy with this arent taking into account people who arent as interested in PvP as rare colelcting. i myself am impartial because i equally PvP and rare collect but i have friends like paratrooper and bartboy who would probably have to quit the game if this happened because it is their neocron livelyhood. If saturn is lagging alot it may be a temporary thing a while back like a month or 2 ago uranus had the same trouble.

hobbs

retr0n
13-01-04, 23:33
Saturn has been fine for a while now, the lag just started yesterday
or the day before, cant remember, and the server needs a reboot,
that's all, but no, they will wait untill saturday to reboot during
weekend neocron bonanza and keep the servers down for 2 hours
then while they maintain it....

//Radium

Genty
13-01-04, 23:54
Personally I would either go for a full wipe or none at all.

jernau
13-01-04, 23:55
What makes you believe that items are the DB problem?

I'm not saying they aren't but if they are it should only need some fairly simple optimisations to fix.

Better yet - KK could finally get rid of that hobo-shit mySQL farce altogether and buy a grown-up database. I'm still hoping this will be done for BDoY.

I wouldn't support an item wipe of any kind under any circumstances and certainly not because they used the wrong tool for the job.

shodanjr_gr
14-01-04, 00:01
Im for that change. Id say just keep gogo and character inventory safe and delete everything else. Everyone can get their chars main equipment as well as some stuff they really do not wish to loose (ultra rare spells/equipment etc).That way the economy will be seriously defucked (market no longer flouded with rares) and database stability "should" improve (dont quote me on the last one though).

JediMasta
14-01-04, 00:53
Full wipe - Would probably cause half of all NC veterans including me to give up and leave, considering how long its taken us to get a good collection of decent shit.

Benjie
14-01-04, 01:19
Originally posted by JediMasta
Full wipe - Would probably cause half of all NC veterans including me to give up and leave, considering how long its taken us to get a good collection of decent shit.
Yeah everybody knows most people claim they would pack up and leave if there was a full wipe. (tenner says half of them are bluffing though...) Nice to see at least half of the people here are open minded not only to the concept of a partial wipe, but to other people points of view too. I personally don't play neocron as a collector but those people would be really peeved.

MegaCorp
14-01-04, 05:02
I have always only played this character, and have no interest in starting another or starting over. I am capped, and have some good gear. The only reason I am in this game is for Op wars. If my character is wiped, I am gone, no question about it. If my equipment gets wiped, I am also gone. For a partial equipment wipe ... well, it would depend on what it was I lost ... I would want to keep my primary implants, my primary support gear, and my primary weapons (i.e. at least two). This is an initial release character, and I found it very hard to acquire my best stuff, so some of the items I have are effectively not replaceable. So, it boils down to being willing to lose my trophies and collectables, but not the stuff I actively need and use in Op wars.

Spook

Dade Murphey
14-01-04, 06:44
I wouldn't terribly mind the idea of being able to only keep what was in your gogo and them doing a wipe...even wipe the money down to like 1mil

Birkoff
14-01-04, 06:50
HOURS spent ressing and constructing spells to do the one fun thing. PVP.. lets jsut throw them all away jsut to spend that time doing exatly yhe same thing again.

fun...

Everybox has like 2 items in, i bet tat adds up to a hell of a lot. 70% of players don't use there primary apt and probably still have the junk in it that they had when they GRed to it then ran to there mate to get given there nice old apts whcih they made there primary. There are a lot of useless items in the DB as well im sure :)

plus Some starter apss have 3 cabs some have 8.... thas fair? lol

John.nl
14-01-04, 07:20
If KK would conclude that the amount of items ingame is related to lag and the only solution is a partial item wipe. Then yes, so be it. It wouldn't solve anything because sooner than later the problem will re-occur.

O horror! To force me to decide which of my precious items may continue to exist... We're talking major Sophies Choice here :(

Spoon
14-01-04, 07:50
Originally posted by Benjie
Yeah everybody knows most people claim they would pack up and leave if there was a full wipe. (tenner says half of them are bluffing though...)

I aint bluffing when I say, I'd leave........

A partial wipe wouldn't work...

Cabinet wipe, just split up the stuff you want to keep between your differant characters(4 character servers) into the gogo's, alot of people have multiple accounts, that could be 8 or 12 gogo's, and/or start trial accounts to store your stuff till after the wipe, on 1 character servers, extreme yes, impossible, no......

Gogo wipe, just buy more apartments.....

Money wipe, I would just buy a bunch of Rhino's and APC's and have a barterer sell them after the wipe.
Sure I wouldn't get all my money back but, it's better than letting it evaporate into thin air.......

Get the point?

As for the comments about solving the DB problems with a wipe....
I would have to say bullshit.....
I agree with jernau, it probably has more to due with software and hardware than excess items in the DB.

Besides if a wipe would help, why hasn't KK deleted all the old cancelled accounts?
Certainly, KK has thought of that......

Face it kids, KK is smart enough to NOT wipe anything......

SovKhan
14-01-04, 07:50
it would suck. ktnx bye

Crest
14-01-04, 10:55
This would be exploited ... How ....
We say i put all my skills on .. umm ... transport and then convert all my c10's into vehicles and store those in gogo so now I got 1000 troops ... so there we go instant case , with barter of 150 its 100 mill ... and yes you can get that many ....

Then theres the 4 chars * 4 gogo's and 4 * starter apps ... so there tons there .... plus guys starting trial accounts just for this reason , then cancelling it before they have to pay ..... so thats another 4 apps per account on the 4 player servers .....

Then there is all the hard work behind collecting rares, since the rares database is over 300 techs this is another factor.

All this would really do is make rich people richer, and create en-equality from exploiters oppurtunity...

These are the quick and dirties that come to mind even before I even think abou it, and I not got an evil mind to exploit either

Original monk
14-01-04, 11:39
i cant fit all my stuff in my gogo or startersappartment .. hell i cant even fit all my melleeparts in my gogo/inventory starter-appartment ... not even mentioning the rest ..

best solution is: NO wipe at all, no moneywipe, no itemwipe, no partialwipe no nothing ...

only hearing/reading the word wipe lets me go panic :/

IceStorm
14-01-04, 11:42
if you could keep everything in your go guardian, or everything in your starter appartment cabinets, how would you respond then?
Don't you wipe nuts get it? Wiping doesn't "fix" anything - it just masks problems. Fix the problems and a wipe becomes moot...

Shadow Dancer
14-01-04, 14:39
Originally posted by IceStorm
Don't you wipe nuts get it? Wiping doesn't "fix" anything - it just masks problems. Fix the problems and a wipe becomes moot...

Yes EXACTLY. ARGH, finally someone who understands.