PDA

View Full Version : Concerns on BDOY... MJS?

hudsonbeck
13-01-04, 17:19
I know we will be getting some info real soon, but something has concerned me and i don’t think it has been addressed yet.
I know its stated that there will not be a character wipe
I understand that we will still be able to play our current characters, but will BDOY be a separate entity? Thus allowing us to play our current characters in NC as it is today but BDOY will be separate and thus not allowing us to play our characters in BDOY. If that is the case, you might as well delete all the current characters, because the current NC will die quickly and our characters with it.
@MJS - can you comment on this or is this something that will be addressed shortly and you would prefer to wait until the official statement? The info in the past has not touched on this point.

Thank you,
Hudson

s0apy
13-01-04, 17:27
we know that it's an update. we know that it will have to be purchased/paid for in order to use the update. we know that it will change many fundamental aspects of the game as we currently know it - ie. factions, safezones etc. we know it will contain new content in terms of items and areas.

i'd guess even if you could continue to play neocron without the DoY update, it would be next to impossible to interact with anyone who did have the update. so i'm guessing you'll really need the update to continue playing, full stop.

superfresh
13-01-04, 17:28
Aye. I saw the thread on DoY characters and had a tough time telling whether or not current ones could be used with the expansion.

Would make sense, since otherwise everyone would probably roll anti-city characters.

hudsonbeck
13-01-04, 17:32
but I though MJS stated that it "was" going to be an expansion.... then it became too large and the publisher thought it best to make it something separate... not and update/expansion. I don’t care if I have to pay for it... I was just wondering if we are going to be able to play our current characters in BDOY if we purchase it.

Hudson

ezza
13-01-04, 17:35
from what i can tell you will be able to play your chars on it, but what do i know

X Kitty X
13-01-04, 17:37
The way I read it was that BDOY would effectively be a completely different game, and therefore all characters would have to start from scratch. They aren't gonna release something, and have thousands (possibly) of new players getting ganked by all the 14 year old 'leet' Neocron players are they?

ezza
13-01-04, 17:40
Originally posted by X Kitty X
The way I read it was that BDOY would effectively be a completely different game, and therefore all characters would have to start from scratch. They aren't gonna release something, and have thousands (possibly) of new players getting ganked by all the 14 year old 'leet' Neocron players are they?

if they force us all to relevel up a large number will leave, possibly myself, leveling a new char on pluto atm, dont know if i could be arsed doing it again when BDOY comes

GT_Rince
13-01-04, 17:41
For all those peeps that are not sure if they will stay if all chars / items / money was wiped - of course you will... there will be too much good stuff for you to miss :D

ezza
13-01-04, 17:44
Originally posted by GT_Rince
For all those peeps that are not sure if they will stay if all chars / items / money was wiped - of course you will... there will be too much good stuff for you to miss :D after leveling 10 chars and nowa new one on pluto dunno if i could be bothered

Candaman
The way i have understood it is that it is a seperate entitity in name NC:BDOY but will upgrade/expand the current game. Now i would doubt if it was possible to play the old NC because u would be missing so much even if it was ran on its own server it would be pointless as reaKKtor would jsut be losing money running another server for the few that won't change over.

As far as chars go i believed it to be that we would all have our own chars still on the server but if u all remember way back MJS said the whole skill systems (F5) was gonna be changed around which means chars would have to be lommed re-capped but still keep all there stuff things like that is what i expect to see where as new players will have the advantage of being setup the "right" way from when they roll.

Original monk
i think it would be pretty cruel that i waited since beginning of retail for dOy, to find out when dOy is here that my current characters cant play in dOy ... for me it would be the same as a whipe and enough for me to ... stop

Thats choosing between: you can still keep playing the old neocron, but with even less players on ( so it will eventually die) ... or ... start a new char at the new game of dOy but then trow away over a year of work day and night ...

It wont be a tough decision to make ... quitting would be much easier.

But im not in fear ... what happens, happens ... but still i would like to know if we can keep our chars at dOy or not :)

GT_Rince
13-01-04, 17:49
I think it would be nice if there was a completely fresh server that anyone could start on. No char wipes for those peeps that wish to stay where they are - but a fresh server - fresh economy... bliss :D

shodanjr_gr
13-01-04, 17:52
Originally posted by Original monk
0110111001100101011011110110001101110010011011110110111000100000001111100010000001010011010101110100

OT but your sig dont work right, the G wont appear when translated. BTW i disagree...

ghandisfury
13-01-04, 17:57
Originally posted by shodanjr_gr
OT but your sig dont work right, the G wont appear when translated. BTW i disagree...

Work fine, and I agree:p

El_MUERkO
13-01-04, 17:59
For all those peeps that are not sure if they will stay if all chars / items / money was wiped - of course you will... there will be too much good stuff for you to miss :D

They'd be mad to deny all the people who've worked so hard at the game the ability to bring their runners to DOY it'd be the final straw that'd push people onto new mmorpgs, I'd certainly cancel my account.

kira wolf
13-01-04, 18:05
Yeah, take DiabloII and DiabloII LOD same idea. You can still play Diablo II (Neocron), but if you buy the "expansion" you can play Diablo II LOD (Neocron BDOY).

New servers, new stuff, new start, no character wipes.

Myself along with the core of d5g will start playing again if this is the case.

retr0n
13-01-04, 19:45
I'm one of those that will quit playing if i cant use my current chars
I have worked hard to get to where I am, and nothing has really
changed in months... so finally DoY arrives and i have to start all
over? dont think so.

//Radium

hudsonbeck
13-01-04, 20:12
I think a good point was that... They allow us to use our current characters, but offer a new, fresh one slot server so everyone could start fresh or use their existing characters on the current servers. One problem is that would be too many servers (personally i think there should only be 2 now... 4 sloter and 1 sloter.. all international)

Hudson

ElfinLord
14-01-04, 00:23
I was under the impression that the NC:BDoY would be, in a sense, an expansion for those of us who already play, but a full game for anyone else.

It is just that NC:BDoY will be "marketed" as a new game in an effort to get a larger playerbase and to make the new publisher more money. :) This way people don't have to go out and try to find Neocron in order to play the expansion. ;)

If makes sense to me this way. It's kind of like FF XI. To the Japanese FF XI came out then the Rise of the Zilart expansion pack. For everyone else it was sold as one game with one group of servers for everyone to play together.

I think the idea that everyone will play together also supports the fact that they are going to 'clean' up the database. The less information that has to be moved to support NC:BDoY the less time time the servers have to stay down to update.

I may be totally off on all this, I don't know. This is just my understanding. ;)

shodanjr_gr
14-01-04, 00:27
Originally posted by kira wolf
Yeah, take DiabloII and DiabloII LOD same idea. You can still play Diablo II (Neocron), but if you buy the "expansion" you can play Diablo II LOD (Neocron BDOY).

New servers, new stuff, new start, no character wipes.

Myself along with the core of d5g will start playing again if this is the case.

Bad example. Diablo is a MMORPG. You dont have ALL players in the same game at the same time. At diablo i dont think you can have expansion characters playing with nonexpansion characters.
Its far more complicated in the case of NC.

Spectra260
14-01-04, 00:49
just rush out the first day of release abd buy it...:D

Omnituens
14-01-04, 02:13
well since my main character will be put out of action well before DoY comes along i dont care really

necrocon
14-01-04, 09:20
Erm Everqu3st lol Expansion players play with non expansion players all the time just the non expansion players cant do much vs what all the expansion players can do

it seams pretty simple as far as that goes

I just play games I don code or anything lol

Psycho Killa
14-01-04, 09:57
Im under the impression its just going to be like a huge patch. So huge we will probably just have to reinstall the whole game. We will still have access to our characters but anyone starting new characters will be starting with all the players with a 100 capped runners on it which i think is dumb but o well.

Everyone will be forced to buy bdoy i think. If you dont you probably wont be able to play.

joran420
14-01-04, 10:03
naw man..... I think elfin hit the nail on the head

GT_Rince
14-01-04, 12:51
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
I'd certainly cancel my account.

I know - u said in the other thread about DoY as well...

If we look at this logically... Why are KK making NC & DoY? Money - I have no doubt that they enjoy it as well, but if there was no sign of any money at the end, they wouldn't have even started.

Now, there is a new publisher on the horizon. If they do a half way decent job, then let us say KK get another 6,000 subscribers. Do you really think they will be worried if some peeps don't like what they do and came up with a complete wipe? Say they lose 100 subscribers through a wipe of some sort - is that really that much of a problem, if then everyone starts on an even footing? Loose 100... gain 6000... You do the maths.

This is all hyperthetical as no-one knows if any kind of wipe will happen - and before anyone says "the servers won't handle 6000" - the figures are just there as an example.

Cryton
14-01-04, 13:17
Honestly I wouldn't mind a wipe or a fresh server.

But there is more bugs/imbalances that need to get weeded out before a new server starts - else we will but just back at the same situation as we are now on the other servers.

/Cryton

Martin J. Schwiezer
14-01-04, 14:14
Originally posted by ElfinLord
I was under the impression that the NC:BDoY would be, in a sense, an expansion for those of us who already play, but a full game for anyone else. Yep... that's exactly what it is. ;)

Benjie
14-01-04, 14:20
Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer
Yep... that's exactly what it is. ;)
Thats what I thought. I must admit I am glad.

Clownst0pper
14-01-04, 14:25
17 days left MJS and we all know what should have heard/be hearing by then :eek: :cool:

alig
14-01-04, 15:16
I know - u said in the other thread about DoY as well...

If we look at this logically... Why are KK making NC & DoY? Money - I have no doubt that they enjoy it as well, but if there was no sign of any money at the end, they wouldn't have even started.

Now, there is a new publisher on the horizon. If they do a half way decent job, then let us say KK get another 6,000 subscribers. Do you really think they will be worried if some peeps don't like what they do and came up with a complete wipe? Say they lose 100 subscribers through a wipe of some sort - is that really that much of a problem, if then everyone starts on an even footing? Loose 100... gain 6000... You do the maths.

This is all hyperthetical as no-one knows if any kind of wipe will happen - and before anyone says "the servers won't handle 6000" - the figures are just there as an example.

err....well yar it is actually, wot sort of customer service is that, thats just gunna show kk as complete ass bandits....

If a shopping precinct got held by terrorists and the fbi or wotever could get 95% of the civilians out but 5% would die in the process do u think they would follow it through?

its the same thing for wot ur trying to say kk would do...

GT_Rince
14-01-04, 17:42
Originally posted by alig
its the same thing for wot ur trying to say kk would do...

You can't even compare the two - since when does making money on a game have anything even remotely to do with terrorists - get a grip dude... :rolleyes: If you wish to use an analogy, use one that is at least similar.

Part of the problem is, that in the T&C's, KK can pretty much do what they like, and we have all agreed to that by signing up. Offering something that would benefit 95% (or more) of the gaming community... how could it be a bad thing ? I think you will find there is a much much smaller percentage of peeps that would actually leave if there was a complete wipe. But we all know a complete wipe is not gonna happen anyway.

At worst (until we hear otherwise), the only possibility is an item / money wipe.

hudsonbeck
15-01-04, 03:25
Thank You MJS for the reply:)

You have made another happy customer (note that i did not use scarcasm emoticon;) )

Hudson