PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Comp sites

Dade Murphey
13-01-04, 14:17
Does anyone know any good wholesale/cheap/whatever as long as it's inexpensive sites where you can build a comp to what you actually need and get it made/shipped to you? I've been to a few sites where you can customize already done models...but I always end up with a bunch of crap I really don't need...so anyone got any sites where you can actually tell them xactly what you need/want...and they do it?

[TgR]KILLER
13-01-04, 14:29
well this is just a dutch site do i don't think its good for ya but still..

alternate.nl (http://www.alternate.nl)

bought most of my gaming system there.. and just ordered a shitload of more parts for 2 new comps ( gonna have 3 in the network then.. for my bro and on my room a new one.. and the gaming comp downstairs )

2 new cases, 2x a AMD XP 2200+ 2x 256 mb ddr 2 mobo's 2 dvd drives 2x 40 gb hd's meh expensive :p but prob will get the parts before the end of the week.. some orders u gonna get in 1 day depends on the supply there is.

Scikar
13-01-04, 14:34
Not sure about getting them to make it for you, with my last comp I bought all the parts individually and put it all together myself in an afternoon. I picked out the parts across 2 different sites to make sure I was getting them for as cheap as possible, then as I said only took an afternoon or so to put together. It's not as complicated as it looks, and there's usually a step by step guide in motherboard manuals. The motherboard manual should cover getting that installed, the processor (proc should come with more detailed documentation on installing the heatsink), RAM, hard disks/CD-ROMs, GFX card goes in AGP slot, lights/switches are covered by motherboard, and everything slots into PCI slots.

Installing isn't as complicated as it might seem. For the motherboard you just stick brass posts in where they are needed and the board bolts into them, processor is as easy as opening a lever, slotting the chip in, and pulling the lever back, everything else just slots in where it's needed. Static isn't even a problem either, just touch a metal part of the case regularly and only take a part out of it's anti-static bag when you are inserting it. As long as you take your time and don't rush it you won't have any problems, and you'll have just saved yourself money by not paying someone to do it for you and by getting the parts at their cheapest.

Dade Murphey
13-01-04, 15:13
thanks killer...but I don't think they'd ship to the US...and I doubt I'd want to pay those shipping fees if they did =P hehe

Scikar...what sites would you suggest...I just found a new site...like BizRate that finds lowest prices for you...kinda nifty...other than that I know like TigerDirect (ok priced) and Pricewatch...though i'm kinda leary about Pricewatch...a lot of the people have shit ratings...not a good sign =\

Scikar
13-01-04, 16:29
Well the two sites I used are based in the UK, www.aria.co.uk and www.microdirect.co.uk. I don't know if either will ship to the US, and it would probably be expensive to do so. But I'm sure there will be US based sites which are similar. Having a quick glance at those two sites you mentioned, I would go for something along the lines of the TigerDirect site, and I would probably avoid Pricewatch. If you're ordering parts off the Net, and something as expensive as PC components, it's probably a good idea to stick to trustworthy sites.

Sanch0s
13-01-04, 17:59
www.ebuyer.com

dont us ppls use negwegg?

Spoon
13-01-04, 18:06
http://www.tigerdirect.com/