PDA

View Full Version : Are games getting worse, or am I getting harder to please?

hose187
13-01-04, 10:40
I must say, I've been quite disappointed with the gaming industry, lately (primarily video games, but not exclusively). When I walk through the store, fewer games are catching my eye, and games that I greatly anticipate are falling short of expectations. Is it just me, or do others feel the same?

Great games are becoming few and far between, while the playability of the 'average' games is steadily decreasing. In the past year, KOTOR is the only game to meet/exceed my expectations. Silent Hill 3, FF X-2, and Rygar are the only other games I was looking forward to, and they fell woefully short. I've been picking up some old favorites in the bargain bin, and they've been much more enjoyable.

I've been gaming for almost 20 years, now, and there's never been so many mediocre games on the market. There's always a deep breath before the plunge of the next, new system, but nothing like this. Besides, the new systems are still more than a year away.

Am I the only one that notices? I hope not.

g0rt
13-01-04, 10:44
You're getting older it happens to everyone.

To me, theres NOTHING In the world like sitting down on my SNES and playing a game of ff6, or busting out Colonization, X-Com UFO Defense / Terror From the Deep, Doom, Wolf3d, etc...its just a good time.

Back then it seemed EVERY game that i played was good...even the crappy little ones like Blake Stone - Aliens of gold I found myself playing for hours just because they were...crappy, but good at the same time.

I know how you feel, new games feel crap now, but to the kids in thier early teens these games are the WIN for the most part...one of my latest ex's brother was playing unreal tournament 2003 and wouldn't shut up about how amazing this game was, he said he played it all the time. To me this game is crap it held my interest for 5 minutes.

I think its all in what you play when you're younger....those games will ALWAYS be the best.

GT_Rince
13-01-04, 12:34
I also tend to turn to some of the old classics as there are very few games around that interest me. I talk of old 'speccy' * 'Beeb' games, such as Repton, Sabre Wulf - hell, I even found a directory on my PC that must have been copied from machine to machine that had Elite II (Final Frontier?). Still had my old save games as well. For good fun and true nostalgia, you can't beat these :)

Of more recent games, (NC included), I enjoy the following:

Red Alert
Risk 1
Diablo (single player)

On consoles, I still break out the 3DO and stick 'Everybodys Golf' in there. Get the Sega out and have a game of Sonic, Snes & Super Mario Carts. Amiga and the Great Giana Sisters.

There are also some excellent re-makes of some of these games if you just do a little hunting around for them, that are made for the PC.

<----- Getting nostalgic now :D

Hayato
13-01-04, 12:37
After i first played Rampage on NES things have been going down hill :(

...Till I found a nice little game called Neocron :p

I think gamers are just wanting to much too soon from these compaines.

Spex
13-01-04, 12:39
Well, you start to expect more and more from games, especially when you already have played tons of them. Secondly, as you already pointed out, its an *industry*, which means many many games are made because the management thinks they will get good money by producing just another game of type XYZ ...