PDA

View Full Version : Why do people like to lie about their char ranks?

VetteroX
13-01-04, 09:23
I dunno, just bugs me. I see so many people with char ranks that they dont have, because Ive seen them many times in game and they dont have it. Also I know some ranks arent possible while making a practicle char. For example, all the people with Tank rank 61+/X Ok, first off, in my experience, in ALL of NC, I've NEVER seen a tank with a combat rank above 59. My pluto tank, all st in HC, ppu buffed, pa 3, all int in lore, all artifacr cs herc using gets to 59/X Now, maybe buffed by a ppu with a doom beamer your 61/X... but who cares? who uses a doom beamer more then 5% of their time on thie tank? Who cares what your rank buffed by a ppu is? thats not your real rank. Who cares what you rank inside a tank is, thats not your real rank either. Spies/pes do it too, posting thier ranks with all + pc/rc imps and buffed by a ppu... not your real rank.

Its not a big deal... I just think its well.. stupid to basically lie about your combat rank when first it doesnt mean anything. (my pe is 58/67, and most know what he can do. And my pain easer pe back in the day was 65/69 and he did great too.) people try to say what their rank is with the highest tl weapon they can use (usualy not even thier man weapon) buffed by a ppu. Its basically a semi lie, and a stupid thing to exaggerate on... I don't get it.

Vid Gamer
13-01-04, 09:26
I noticed this too but wasn't bothered by it that much to make a whole thread on it. lol

I guess some people like to put down the *max* rank they can achieve currently.

Archeus
13-01-04, 09:27
PPU rank ping pongs and goes so insanely high for no reason I don't really pay attention to ranks anymore.

VetteroX
13-01-04, 09:28
yeah well, compaired to most of the pointless things posted on this forum I didnt think it was too bad to post it, heh.

REMUS
13-01-04, 09:39
well i watched hinch get up to either 61 or 65 and ive had my tank up to 60 but it never lasts.

Gotterdammerung
13-01-04, 09:42
the rank that appears to a person on their own skills menu often doesn't reflect what is displayed to others (ie: you say to your buddy congrats on getting a star and the associated rank and he tells you that he still sees himself as a 4 chev with a lower rank)

Now as for a person lying? unless you mean some guy tells you his rank and then you see it's obviously a lie (ie: he tells you hes a 2 star tank and when you eyeball him he's a 2 chev noob) you really can't fault someone if what they see is somewhat different then what you see.

My suggestion ? Don't nitpick so much, it'll make the game funner

Vid Gamer
13-01-04, 09:57
I think the highest a Tank can get is 66 with all STR points in HC, PPU buffs, Artifact/Capped DB.

I personally have gotten up to 61 with an artifact MS.

The highest I ever saw a second rank was 72.

El Barto
13-01-04, 10:41
Well I can get my H-C Gen-Tank up to 69 combat rank with no weapons, if I die, GR out I get up 2 69

g0rt
13-01-04, 10:48
If you have a car with a NOS package, you tell people that at the track.

If you take the NOS bottle off to drive home legally, does that mean all of a sudden your car doesn't have it? No...

In neocron, sure you gotta put that nos bottle on to get the extremely high rank, but it doesn't mean you CANT HAVE IT just because you choose not to bother at any specific time.

My tank can hit 64/71 with buffs, pa3, all h-c imps, and a fortress (doom beamer)....since that is the best rank I can achieve I will put that as my tanks rank in a forum sig, etc....

Sorin
13-01-04, 10:56
I saw a tank yesterday who was 63/66. I didn't know what to think, other than WTF. Before that, I had never seen a tank passed 59 (If I have, I don't remember).

As for lying, maybe some people don't update their forums sigs enough? Or if you mean in game, there is that discrepancy that Gotter mentioned. Happened to me a lot. My old rifle PE would be 70/62 on my Screen, but would be 69/62 on my friend's screen.

Oh well. Normal NC weirdness at work.

Scikar
13-01-04, 11:08
From general observation, it's fairly clear to me that in general, the higher your combat rank, the worse your setup is. The best spy setups aren't the ones that cap FL, the best PE setups aren't the ones with RoLH, and the best Tanks don't wear PA. So they all have lower combat ranks than they could be. The exception of course, is monks, especially hybrids. ;)

My tank's combat rank is 56, and if it went much higher I'd be embarrased to say so.

Archeus
13-01-04, 11:11
What I find funny about ranks is a lot of people will attack you based on it.

I've had rank 75 (yes insanely high for my level) and people have just ignored me as if I am too hard a target. Other times I've had 1 or 0 (especially after GR'ing) and had people *try* to kill me.

Rade
13-01-04, 11:16
On a related note, Ive done 9 epics on rade, and used missions
to swap factions which ended up being close to a thousand
missions. Due to the the 6th stats or whatever people talk about
my rank with one of my two rolh setups is */72 (currently i use
fh2 and ba3 instead of str2 and moto3, so now im at */70). You
wouldnt believe how many people start shouting about drugs
and whatnot. Just saying that there might be something more to
it than what it seems at first glance.

**edit: @scikar oh but rolh setups are so much fun :D

CarniFlex
13-01-04, 11:23
Does I lie when i say my tank is most of the time rank 72/68? No most of the time I spent in the gunners seat of a reveler shooting stuff ie my combatrank is 72. Its more an personal thing for me to actually be able to get combatrank 80 at all even if its inside a rhino. Despite what some cocky "I know it all" forum whore says no names mentioned :p. Off course we put our combat ranks as boosted, its just for show anyway, as far as im botherd its just another fishermans story.

Original monk
13-01-04, 12:15
dont call it lies vetterox, call it shittalk .. and theres alot of that on this forum: look at youre own siggy for example ...

Egeon
13-01-04, 12:37
Originally posted by Rade
You
wouldnt believe how many people start shouting about drugs
and whatnot. Just saying that there might be something more to
it than what it seems at first glance.
What problem do people have with using drugs :confused:

rolh setups are so much fun
Yep, cause you can aim so easily compared to Lib... :D

Rade
13-01-04, 12:39
Originally posted by Egeon
Yep, cause you can aim so easily compared to Lib... :D

Well, I never liked the lib. Back in the day when it was all ubar
and tanks were running around with it I used Judge instead.
RoLH PE is fun because its the APU version of PEs. No defence, all
offence.

Egeon
13-01-04, 12:56
Originally posted by Rade
Well, I never liked the lib. Back in the day when it was all ubar
and tanks were running around with it I used Judge instead.
RoLH PE is fun because its the APU version of PEs. No defence, all
offence.
And what do you use against Holy Sheltered/Holy Deflected Monks (at an OP Fight e.g.)?

I liked and still like the Lib, although I can't get a decent aiming with it... it does nice dmg if I'm able to hit something with it... ALL other pistols have a far easier/more stable aiming behavior than Lib.

VetteroX
13-01-04, 13:02
my sig is all from other people, not from me. I quated the "insults" that made me laugh the most. I think your true rank is whatever it is self buffed in your most used setup with your main gun.

Rade
13-01-04, 13:08
And what do you use against Holy Sheltered/Holy Deflected Monks (at an OP Fight e.g.)?

I liked and still like the Lib, although I can't get a decent aiming with it... it does nice dmg if I'm able to hit something with it... ALL other pistols have a far easier/more stable aiming behavior than Lib.

I use rolh. I find my rolh do more damage than lib on monks. All
this talk about piercing against monks was true about a year
ago, before there was deflectors, now it matters shit. Well setup
monks dont have less piercing/force than they have any other
resist.

Maarten
13-01-04, 13:19
I have a screenshot of a 74/67 tank. Wanna see?

retr0n
13-01-04, 13:20
Yesterday on TS i saw a 71/ tank so it is possible

//Rad

El_MUERkO
13-01-04, 13:27
I've seen my combat rank go as high as 71 on my PE when I had several rare weapons on my PE back when I was pure low tech and maxed the old lib, but if I just had my li it would drop to 65 so maybe a tank with a CS+Dev+Moonie in his belt would have a greater rank.

Scikar
13-01-04, 13:51
Originally posted by retr0n
Yesterday on TS i saw a 71/ tank so it is possible

//Rad

It's very much possible if you use pistols or rifles. But not for M-C or H-C.

ezza
13-01-04, 13:55
Originally posted by Maarten
I have a screenshot of a 74/67 tank. Wanna see? so do it but they were getting that rank from an exploit

s0apy
13-01-04, 14:21
you can tell a lot about someone that asserts they are 70/70, or over, on a tank in anything other than a self-mocking or jokey way. it's similar to people who boast about their cars (always terrible/dangerous drivers). however much Freud has been maligned, you have to admit he got it right when it comes to guys and their cocks.

i wouldn't waste time worrying about why people even bother to post high combat ranks though. in this game, as was mentioned by scikar, it's a useful gauge as to how gimped that char is, rather than anything else. and those who post ranks based on a char with PPU buffs and a fortress, well it just shows how reliant they are on others as opposed to themselves that they don't even consider their chars worth mentioning without all that baggage.

the only problem it causes is that it may encourage others who are less experienced to try and achieve high ranks, thinking that this is somehow correct or better. new players should be informed about such myths before they gimp themselves into oblivion ("filter heart lowers my rank, argh i'm not using that", "with exp bal3, SF, dist 3 and dist 2 my combat rank rocks", etc).

Filth
13-01-04, 14:25
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
the rank that appears to a person on their own skills menu often doesn't reflect what is displayed to others (ie: you say to your buddy congrats on getting a star and the associated rank and he tells you that he still sees himself as a 4 chev with a lower rank)

Now as for a person lying? unless you mean some guy tells you his rank and then you see it's obviously a lie (ie: he tells you hes a 2 star tank and when you eyeball him he's a 2 chev noob) you really can't fault someone if what they see is somewhat different then what you see.

My suggestion ? Don't nitpick so much, it'll make the game funner

Well i was going to post BUT... i think head sead it all jsut liek to add tho get over it... lol

deac
13-01-04, 15:26

same with rifle pes... rog is nice to aim with and the terminator is the rifle lib... nice dmg but only if you manage to stack 4-5 shots in a row... and thats freaking hard since it will some time even with a fully closed reticle.....

soo BOOST THE TERM (range) please :)

Shadow Dancer
13-01-04, 15:59
I hate when people lie about anything. I hate lies.

Cruzbroker
13-01-04, 16:17
If I post my rank, I post it stars/rank :p

Was fun with my spy 75/58 with ppu buffs... sucky implants and setups, didn't change them cos I was aware of the lom session.. using first love, all other spies I would see using FL would be around /64... Now after loming and changing implants he's /66 .. *mwahaha do i lie?* :)

I don't mind about ranks but I love to have high rank, good or not. Also I've seen 70/6* tanks.

edit: if I post with numbers, it's the one what I have most of the time... (my spy 70/, monk 70/....)

Dribble Joy
13-01-04, 16:19
My self buffed rank is 65/70 that's with redflash.
Having a PPR and a FH2 lowers the second rank a bit.

ezza
13-01-04, 16:22
my rank in my sig is with PA on, dont normally wear it but when i do its hits the 57/66 ** so meh

Cryotchekk
13-01-04, 17:58
Originally posted by VetteroX
I dunno, just bugs me. I see so many people with char ranks that they dont have, because Ive seen them many times in game and they dont have it. Also I know some ranks arent possible while making a practicle char. For example, all the people with Tank rank 61+/X Ok, first off, in my experience, in ALL of NC, I've NEVER seen a tank with a combat rank above 59. My pluto tank, all st in HC, ppu buffed, pa 3, all int in lore, all artifacr cs herc using gets to 59/X Now, maybe buffed by a ppu with a doom beamer your 61/X... but who cares? who uses a doom beamer more then 5% of their time on thie tank? Who cares what your rank buffed by a ppu is? thats not your real rank. Who cares what you rank inside a tank is, thats not your real rank either. Spies/pes do it too, posting thier ranks with all + pc/rc imps and buffed by a ppu... not your real rank.

Its not a big deal... I just think its well.. stupid to basically lie about your combat rank when first it doesnt mean anything. (my pe is 58/67, and most know what he can do. And my pain easer pe back in the day was 65/69 and he did great too.) people try to say what their rank is with the highest tl weapon they can use (usualy not even thier man weapon) buffed by a ppu. Its basically a semi lie, and a stupid thing to exaggerate on... I don't get it.

i had my tank to 61/67 once, dunno how. its usually 57/67 with 1 str to cap

Revslad
13-01-04, 18:08
well as you can see on my sig those are my ranks and there what i have all the time no drugs or anything

hinch
20-01-04, 02:36
@ remus i got upto 65 highest i ever got with all drugs pa 4 fortress bonus and hc 3 using an all arti doom beamer i could never get it any higher

\\Fényx//
20-01-04, 02:40
my monks 116/62 :) Just lomming him now ready for the upcoming patch

lullysing
20-01-04, 02:56
I keep my rank low so whenever i got hunting a little i stay by 4 chevs, and hence, get loot from aggies, butches and hurlers, and max loot on cyclops and such.

Before i started to artificially lower it i was poor : now i actually have a little change in my pockets.

It's another one of my reasons for trying out the retail versions of guns ( mind you, 4 slotted ones) because the rare ones get me one star or two stars the moment i put them on ( and then it's a bitch to get the rank down to something where i can make some money again.

This is why i love my spitfire gatgun so much. Sooo many bullets, so little rank.

Valkyrie
20-01-04, 03:00
My tank's 72/65.....in a reveller :p

Usually 59/

And why the fuck do "all the best tanks not wear pa"?

So it slows you down, get rid of some resist and put it in athletics or put an amc 3 in to compensate, the amount of armour and HC it gives you is easily worth it (I wear PA2 btw). And the hit box thing is rubbish, you cant target the edge of a PA tank's hit box, you try it and see. Oh and the -con...like -5 hlt and slightly lower end. Big wow.

Putting AMC 3 in means you get +5 con anyway.

I suppose all the best tanks have to have a herc though :rolleyes:

40$Poser
20-01-04, 04:01
simple enough, call it people with egos

Marx
20-01-04, 04:03
my research/repair spy is 87/78

honest!

i have screenshots!

no i don't

Spectra260
20-01-04, 04:22
i remember seeing 3 star tanks right before tankocron hit off

SovKhan
20-01-04, 04:31
my ppu is insane like 83 with holy heal, but if u pull the HP it will be either 90 or 91

Varaem
20-01-04, 08:14
My rank is 84/70 as a rifle PE... at a fortress... with rc3... and white flash.

SorkZmok
20-01-04, 08:32
Well without drugs i am 81/70.
On drugs and my own buffs i am 82/74, sometims 81, sometimes even 83.
Buffed with r-c 3 and on drugs, what i usually am, i am 84/74.

ServeX
20-01-04, 10:08
i've got up to 66/68 before on serve

Crest
20-01-04, 10:47
For example, all the people with Tank rank 61+/X Ok, first off, in my experience, in ALL of NC, I've NEVER seen a tank with a combat rank above 59...... but who cares?

(usualy not even thier man weapon) buffed by a ppu. Its basically a semi lie, and a stupid thing to exaggerate on... I don't get it.

Seems that when U make a thread like this ... you care ....

Yes Best rank for cs wielding tank is 58 or 59 .. Dont really check anymores ... Just like I seen PPU's 91/62 I think it was ... Means nothing .... My monk can be 83/62 with a change of 1 chip ... so I could imagine him going higher with a few more changes....

If people lie about their rank so what ... at the end you will meet them and will either get killed or kill them ...

If I came accross a 100/100 tank and killed him, hey who cares .. I got 100/100 tags ....

Cryotchekk
20-01-04, 13:17
i found some screens of when my tank was bugged, i had 108/67 *** and -75/67 /

20-01-04, 13:41

Who cares?

Punisher-X
20-01-04, 13:49
My pistol PE fully capped, has a rank of 59/63. Nuff said :D

garyu69
20-01-04, 13:54
My rank is poo and i am proud, 54/66 since last night. Need to update my thing.

I am a Capped PE, woot

Dezh
22-01-04, 08:24
My PPU is -102/65
Think about that :p

and meh pistol PE is 58/51, 15 levels to cap :o

japata
22-01-04, 08:34
Well I have a tank who only needs 4 con. With a full artifact doom beamer and HC3 (always on, me <3 my bitch ;) ), he has a rank of 64/xx and without a HC3 with a full artifact malediction 61/xx (IIRC, it's been a month since I played with that fatso)... but those ranks bounce around a bit. Sometimes when I zone, I drop to 55/xx, and sometimes after a crash I'm at 65/xx

edit: Oh yeah, and my fully capped PE has a rank of 38/65 when he's equipped for PvM - eat that. :)

g0rt
22-01-04, 10:21
Originally posted by Dezh
My PPU is -102/65
Think about that :p

Im thinking....thinking.......thinking..........

Gimped, rankwhore ppu? YES!

Right now the perfect PPU setup will give a capped or near capped PPU a 90-93 battle rank, less then that if you wanna cap dmg on holy group shelter but your mana pool is gonna get owned. More then that and you are gimping yourself, you wont even cap holy para

japata
22-01-04, 10:39
Originally posted by g0rt
Im thinking....thinking.......thinking..........

Gimped, rankwhore ppu? YES!

Right now the perfect PPU setup will give a capped or near capped PPU a 90-93 battle rank, less then that if you wanna cap dmg on holy group shelter but your mana pool is gonna get owned. More then that and you are gimping yourself, you wont even cap holy para

Do notice the minus (-) before the rank. :)

-=Bl@de=-
22-01-04, 10:42
With SA i hit 71/70 on my pe, thats fully capped using pp resist and filter heart.

g0rt
22-01-04, 10:50
Originally posted by japata
Do notice the minus (-) before the rank. :)

thaught i was simply a dash used to seperate the sentance and his rank...

like...

hey look at my rank - 80/120

didn't take it as a minus, my bad

sl33py
22-01-04, 11:00

I think my tank is 58/67 (uranus) but buffed by the ppu i go to 61/67. thing is combat rank is not that important, well at least not to me. as far as i'm concerned its all about the skill which is the second and constant number. Also I heard rumours that doing missions (like aggie caps) 24/7 levels a 'hidden skill' of some sort raising your skill rank. I dont know if it is true or not.

But it all comes to this. A lot of people still live with the idea 'My dick is bigger then yours so I'm a better fuck' While it still is and always will be 'My dick might be smaller then yours, but I can do a lot more with it then you'.

VetteroX, don't let them get to you. Peoples posting ranks with all their shit in and ppu buffs (and as you stated are basically lying) are just the uncertain ones needing Viagra to get it up:p

-