PDA

View Full Version : Syncs, FRE's and other bugs

GT_Rince
12-01-04, 12:44
I have read so many threads and posts about people sicks of syncs, FRE's and lag. This does seem to get worse with more peeps on the servers. But - I hardly ever suffer with these myself. This isn't a brag or boast - more to see if there is maybe something else that contributes to these problems locally.

I have a dual boot machine. One OS has XP Pro running just about all services and apps - loads installed. My 2nd OS has the bear minimum required to run NC (XP Pro again). Services that are not needed are disabled.

I notice a real increase in problems when I run NC on the installation that has all the services running. I can bomb out as much as 2-3 times per hour.

If I am in the other installation, it can be as little as once every day or so. Sometimes longer. I do notice that the more I have running on my machine, the more problems I encounter.

I think that rather than peeps complaining and slagging KK off, they could maybe look at their own machines / connection first. Hell, when I was playing on AOL 56K, I had next to no problems then either.

Looking at this logically, is there any way that one person can suffer so badly with problems and another has next to nothing, can this really be KK's fault? How can Joe Runner who I am lvling with, FRE and bomb to desktop, and I don't? I don't see how that fault can lie with KK or the servers. Saying that, not being a programmer, I have no idea if bugs can affect so many peeps so differently.

CarniFlex
12-01-04, 13:05
Stop making sense :p

GT_Rince
12-01-04, 13:07
Originally posted by CarniFlex
Stop making sense :p

I can't help it - its a disease :D

Bengalmin
12-01-04, 16:44
exactly, while I have a fairly crap machine when I was running on a seperate boot just for neocron I forgot what a FRE was!! now I run it on my main boot with loads of other crap I get them every few hours.

if your having problems clean up your computer before blaming kk (they could possibily do some more compatibility work but I'd rather they did content)

damn, need a bigger HD so I can Duel boot again

retr0n
12-01-04, 16:53
I agree, everybody should check their own system first, BUT nobody
should have to specc their system so they can run NC without FRE's
Then it's something wrong with the game

I have run other games with loads of other applications and
processes running at the same time with no problem at all.

If you are running on a slow connection, turn off all the applications
that use internet, like ICQ & stuff like that, and turn off any apps
that constantly write to the harddrive...

Other then that, i dont want to do any more changes to my install
just so i am able to run NC... NC does have a few issues

//Radium

greploco
12-01-04, 16:55
what do you disable ?

messenger of course, but what else ?

GT_Rince
12-01-04, 16:59
Originally posted by greploco
what do you disable ?

messenger of course, but what else ?

I couldn't tell you off hand 'cos I am at work. There were about 8 or 9 other services running that didn't need to be.

Also, I removed everything from my Startup - I have no browers running, no Winamp, no Media Player, No Kazaa, etc.

Bengalmin
12-01-04, 17:00
I remember the days where I had a box full of DOS boot disks one each for all my games.

I don't think having a seperate boot for a game or a games boot in general is any big deal. That way you can keep it clean, don't install all the random stuff you download of the internet on it and keep all other applications you will never need off it.

shodanjr_gr
12-01-04, 17:07
Originally posted by retr0n
I agree, everybody should check their own system first, BUT nobody
should have to specc their system so they can run NC without FRE's
Then it's something wrong with the game

I have run other games with loads of other applications and
processes running at the same time with no problem at all.

If you are running on a slow connection, turn off all the applications
that use internet, like ICQ & stuff like that, and turn off any apps
that constantly write to the harddrive...

Other then that, i dont want to do any more changes to my install
just so i am able to run NC... NC does have a few issues

//Radium

What he said, thats what i also think. No logic in tweaking our systems in order to play just one game that produces quake 2 level graphics but actually demands a Cryo mainframe to perform well. KK should tweak their engine, we shouldnt tweak our pcs.

t0tt3
12-01-04, 17:22
Originally posted by Bengalmin
I remember the days where I had a box full of DOS boot disks one each for all my games.

I don't think having a seperate boot for a game or a games boot in general is any big deal. That way you can keep it clean, don't install all the random stuff you download of the internet on it and keep all other applications you will never need off it.

:lol: yea the good old 486 times :D

Bengalmin
12-01-04, 17:27
486! this was a 286 where I had to get every last byte of memory to play wing commander 2 :)

GT_Rince
12-01-04, 17:32
Originally posted by shodanjr_gr
What he said, thats what i also think. No logic in tweaking our systems in order to play just one game that produces quake 2 level graphics but actually demands a Cryo mainframe to perform well. KK should tweak their engine, we shouldnt tweak our pcs.

There is not just NC that I play in this OS. I play others as well - I think that many games have bugs but I probably don't see them all because of this.

I have no doubts at all that there are changes that could be made, but by the same token, you could not run as much in the background, cleanup some startup files and you would have an altogether more enjoyable gaming experience.

For those that suffer really badly, try it - no need to bitch at KK... there is something that you can do.