PDA

View Full Version : Best British Sitcom

Omnituens
11-01-04, 00:02
Who gets your vote?

I'm voting Red Dwarf if it gets in the top 10, but I also want Blackadder and Dad's 'Don't tell him Pike' Army to do well

Anyone who wants the The Office to win is immediatly in my bad books.

Mumblyfish
11-01-04, 00:03
Spaced

From this point on, everyone who doesn't say Spaced loses.

Ulle
11-01-04, 00:04
Only Fools and Horses is likely to be....very high. Red Dwarf hopefully will be high too though.

Dribble Joy
11-01-04, 00:16
I was going to say red dwarf, but now spaced is mentioned... ARG!!! I DUNNO!!!

L0KI
11-01-04, 00:16
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Spaced

From this point on, everyone who doesn't say Spaced loses.

Spaced here

sex @ spaced

Lethys
11-01-04, 00:20
Young Ones = teh win

jj dynomite
11-01-04, 00:25
hehe...i only get the rerunned sitcoms here in USA, but i would have to say

Are you being served?

it's old, but funny

Tratos
11-01-04, 00:25
Actualy no EDIT, Red Dwarf is teh bestest

~T

Omnituens
11-01-04, 00:32
#25 - The Office

'ave it! Get the fuck down!

Red Dwarf > Office

Saza
11-01-04, 00:49
Red Dwarf pwns j00 all. Except series 8. That sucked. But the other series's make up for it

ServeX
11-01-04, 00:51
Originally posted by jj dynomite
hehe...i only get the rerunned sitcoms here in USA, but i would have to say

Are you being served?

it's old, but funny

serve'd?
:P

Omnituens
11-01-04, 00:58
Red Dwarf didn't make the Top 10

but it beat the office so its a moral victory
EDIT: came #18

SMEG

greendonkeyuk
11-01-04, 01:03
only fools and horses. delboy jus rocks. i almost called one of my neocron chars boycey :lol:

also

fawlty towers is teh pwn.

Opar
11-01-04, 01:03
Ab fav/THe Office.

Ascension
11-01-04, 01:06
Only fools and horses > all

Boyce - http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/stage/2002/06/images/boysie_300.jpg

- The crew - http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1215000/images/_1219668_fools.jpg

VictorKruger
11-01-04, 01:07
Fawlty Towers (http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/fawlty_towers/fawlty_towers.jsp) has my vote

This, Mrs. Fawlty
This, Mr. Fawlty
This, Smack on head :D

Chaplin
11-01-04, 01:18
Originally posted by Ascention
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1215000/images/_1219668_fools.jpg

So that's what british people look like... o_O
I always wonderd but this explains quite something...

:angel:

Ascension
11-01-04, 01:32
Originally posted by Chaplin
So that's what british people look like... o_O
I always wonderd but this explains quite something...

:angel:

ROFL:lol: :lol: :lol:

ben77890
11-01-04, 01:36
You didnt mention allo allo or are you being served, shame on j00

nonamebrandeggs
11-01-04, 01:40
Originally posted by ben77890
You didnt mention allo allo or are you being served, shame on j00

o_O that show is on this kids channel at 1:00AM on weekends.

(Canada)

I always just thought it was some retarted show that makes no sense. I'll take a watch tonight o_O.

Dribble Joy
11-01-04, 01:40
Are you free?

I'M FREE!!!

Stigmata
11-01-04, 01:43
allo allo is funny,

probably a tyad racist now though, the french policeman is so fucking funny.

Dribble Joy
11-01-04, 01:45
'I'll thunk I'll loo down and have forty wonks'

ben77890
11-01-04, 01:47
Hello generalee, when are you going to wina de war?

Dribble Joy
11-01-04, 01:49
Whats her name..... HELGA!!

and she would come in and scream at the top of her lungs.

[ edited - thanks for proving that "'allo 'allo" was crap :rolleyes: ]

edit// It was funney BECAUSE it was so un PC :rolleyes:

ben77890
11-01-04, 01:54
who can forget renais...and the 2 waitresses he was flirting with in the back room...and the french resistance, and the communist resistance

and ze painting of ze fallen maddona with ze big boobies by von klomp?

ahh good times :)

MrBane
11-01-04, 01:55
I cannot believe Vicar Of Dibley got into the top ten..

IT'S SHIT!

*Votes for Fawlty*

ben77890
11-01-04, 01:58
i had a fawlty towers voice pack for UT, i was playing instagib with my brother, i killed him, and it said " im not hitting you, im trying to cheer you up"

and the next time

"zooooom, that was your life mate"

Mumblyfish
11-01-04, 02:15
Originally posted by MrBane
I cannot believe Vicar Of Dibley got into the top ten..

IT'S SHIT!

Where in blue fuck is Spaced? No justice? Or is Britain retarted and has no sense of humour?

icarium
11-01-04, 02:17
red dwarf easily

spaced was v funny as well though

does anyone remember Big Train? the sketch series with the guy out of spaced in it? everyone i asks has never seen it and it was piss funny tbh, easily as funny as the fast show

ben77890
11-01-04, 02:21
wtf is spaced?:confused:

icarium
11-01-04, 02:26
was on channel 4 fairly late, was typical british humour, bit surreal and v funny.

CarniFlex
11-01-04, 02:45
Havent seen spaced unfortanetly, mainly cause I dont think they show it here in sweden. Otherwise Red Dwarf, Black adder, monty pythons flying circus and allo' allo' are all excellent dude!

Dribble Joy
11-01-04, 02:49
Spaced was based on a simple premice.
Two people, a girl and a guy, niether can afford a place of their own, and dejected randomly meet in a cafe, and decide to move in together, after spotting an add for a married couples only flat in a house.

And.. that's it basically, they move in and wierd shit happens, it's cool.

Omnituens
11-01-04, 03:16
since RD didnt get in the top 10, i think Blackadder gets my vote

flying circus was a skecth show, not a sit com iirc

VetteroX
11-01-04, 03:31
Red Dwarf is very bad mmkay? It makes nish stop pking people with me to watch it :(

Ryuben
11-01-04, 04:52
GAME ON !

red dwarf

fawlt towers

;)

notneo
11-01-04, 11:15
it aint half hot mum ,a classic and windsor davies could kick anyones ass lol

oh dear
how sad
never mind
hehe

Elric
11-01-04, 12:29
Red Dwarf is easily the best Comedy ever to see the light of day... or prime time anyways...

Blackadder is excellent too, so is fawlty towers. The Young Ones and Bottom were just hilarious too.

I remember Big Train too.

Beanie McChimp
11-01-04, 12:39
Some mothers do ave em
Red Dwarf
I'm Alan Partridge (AH HA!!)

Breschau
11-01-04, 12:59
Not sure i could pick one, partly cos it's been so long since i saw any of them, but i'd be choosing between

red dwarf
fawlty towers
father ted
rab c nesbitt
blackadder

Sick
11-01-04, 13:21
Game On
Young Ones
Red Dwarf

in that order :D fawlty towers annoyed me, spaced never peaked my interest, Only fools and horses is great too but if its on i'll do something else and watch it rather than giving it full attention.

Alan partridge had some funny as hell moments, but also some dull.

Barak
11-01-04, 14:05
Red Dwarf
Blackadder
Bottom

but i was really suprised with vicer of dribly made it to the top 10 =/
and i've never heard of spaced either o_O

Dissenter
11-01-04, 14:06
I'll vote for Blackadder, but I wish Bottom was on the List, that was fucking hilarious.

http://www.millingtonhouse.freeserve.co.uk/cinema/uk_top1.jpg

Mumblyfish
11-01-04, 16:37
Seriously, this has made me consider the intelligence of Britain. Or at least the humour. People have voted for tired old programmes which didn't do anything new. Hell, they weren't even hilarious at the time. Methinks rose-tinted spectacles are in hot demand. In the meantime, perhaps with the odd exception, anything that was new and innovative has been shunned.

Instead of Spaced, Phoenix Nights, I'm Alan Partridge, The League of Gentlemen, Black Books and the like (didn't note other classics like Red Dawrf/Father Ted as they got quite high) we have The Vicar of Dibley (wtf?), The Good Life (WTF???), Open All Hours (a big barrel of wtf?), Yes Minister (oh come on, now) and One Foot In The Grave (funny, but not Top 10 funny).

Britain sucks at recognising talent.

icarium
11-01-04, 16:39
Seriously, this has made me consider the intelligence of Britain. Or at least the humour. People have voted for tired old programmes which didn't do anything new. Hell, they weren't even hilarious at the time. Methinks rose-tinted spectacles are in hot demand. In the meantime, perhaps with the odd exception, anything that was new and innovative has been shunned.

Instead of Spaced, Phoenix Nights, I'm Alan Partridge, The League of Gentlemen, Black Books and the like (didn't note other classics like Red Dawrf/Father Ted as they got quite high) we have The Vicar of Dibley (wtf?), The Good Life (WTF???), Open All Hours (a big barrel of wtf?), Yes Minister (oh come on, now) and One Foot In The Grave (funny, but not Top 10 funny).

for once we agree on something :)

Omnituens
11-01-04, 19:44

'The results are based on a poll taken last year'

this is pronouced:

'The results are based on a poll taken in the south of England last year'

Elric
11-01-04, 20:10
Originally posted by Omnituens

'The results are based on a poll taken in the south of England last year'

Its official

The (southern) English have no taste or decent sense of humour whatsoever :p

Siygess
11-01-04, 20:41
Hey, I resent that. Spaced rocks.

Skip to the end!

MkVenner
11-01-04, 21:19
Only fools and Horses and Red Dwarf...has to be...

Richard Adregen
11-01-04, 21:27
Never saw Spaced, but Red Dwarf and Blackadder should be near the top!!!

RA.

evs
12-01-04, 00:27
well i think its safe to say spaced wouldnt come nowhere near the top as so many havent heard of it

great british family favourites - i.e the stuff they can just put a repeat on whenever there's a slump and it will get viewers, are red dwarf, only fools etc

there's been a few 'newer' sitcoms that are pretty funny, my family is unbelievably amusing at times - and 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps was also very good.

but again with little mass advertisment - they were never going to be classics or watched and adored by millions.

Again 'the best of' is a popularity vote, and people only name what they have seen.

Bit crap really - if it was a fair test, everyone would have had to seen at least one of each series and then make a comparison.

also for sheer awesomeness there was also 'The adam and joe show' which was excellent :)

Dribble Joy
12-01-04, 00:34
Originally posted by evs
also for sheer awesomeness there was also 'The adam and joe show' which was excellent :)

That pwned beyond measure.

I loved the starwars stuff done with the action figures, and the take offs of various films.

Penzius
12-01-04, 00:59
Originally posted by evs
my family is unbelievably amusing at times

I'm off to see a taping of that this coming thursday :D

My vote is with Absolutely Fabulous though - hilarious! (Obviously gloss over Series 5)

Omnituens
12-01-04, 01:36
Originally posted by Penzius
My vote is with Absolutely Fabulous though - hilarious! (Obviously gloss over Series 5)
yeah, shame it didnt make the top 10 so you cant vote on it :p

AfterDark
12-01-04, 03:30
Everyone knows AbFab is the best TV show to come out of the UK. Ever.

Series 5 is lacking something, but it's still a good deal better than the shit Hollywood keeps churning out.

Nippa
12-01-04, 10:31
Yeah

No 1 Only Fools
No 2 Red Dwarf

Nightbrother
12-01-04, 11:02
Father Ted (why did Dermot Morgan have to leave us... *cries*)
Bottom (in the olden days)
The Fast Show (it's..... black.... black, black)
Big Train (was ok)

I know it ain't sit-com'ish, but everything Reeves & Mortimer have ever made cracks me up. (Once they made a chair out of matchsticks, and said: 'I wonder if we can get someone to sit in this, to see if it's sturdy enough. Nah, we'll never find anyone dumb enough. Well, Sting is the only one stupid enough to do it, but we'll never get him to try.'.... Vic'n'Bob leave the stage, and 10 secs later Sting walks in and sits in the chair. Obviously it breaks under his weight.

Their Stott and Stott sketch = teh win.

Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Young Ones and others I cant remember were things enjoyed years ago. They're still good, but I've seen them so many times over the years, that they've lost their immediate appeal to me.

Babes
12-01-04, 12:27
Red Dwarf / Black Adder / Father Ted

But as a Fellow Geordie "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" Rocks

12-01-04, 13:39
I must confess to being dispointed that Bottom didnt make the top 10.

However there seems to be alot of truth in the fact that 'old' stuff made it to the top 10 (I suppose it comes down to the fact that we've been exposed to the older stuff for longer and thus it tends to stick in people mind

For the record I live in the south or England and I never got asked!!!!!!!!!

Wellard
12-01-04, 13:41
If anyone wants to vote for the Top Ten Heres (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/vote.shtml) the link to do it.

And if anyones interested heres (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/top11to100.shtml) the link to the top 100 up to no.10 (they only showed the top 50 on TV)

I've never seen Spaced but its in there at no66

Red Dwarf at n018? With Yes Prime Minister in the top 10
o_O

and The Good Life o_O ????? Vicar of Dibley??? :eek:

but Black Adder in the top 10 rocks :p

jernau
12-01-04, 14:39
Yes Minister rocks but I'm sure it helps if you've actually had to deal with the Civil Service and/or if you lived through the Thatcher government.

I voted for Blackadder but it was close. If Hancock had made it to the top 10 I'd have voted for that but I guess it's too old for too many people.

Men Behaving Badly, Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones should have been in the top ten IMO. Vicar of Dibley shouldn't even be in the top 1000.

I don't think you can say it was Southerners only if that POS The Royle Family got to no.19.

Lots of cool shows on the list though. Some real stinkers too.

Jaffo
12-01-04, 16:23
without a shadow of a doubt faulty towers must win with the likes of only fools and horses and red dwarf comming close behind.

even though they only made about 13 episodes of faulty towers, just the rearranging of the name faulty towers at the begginng of each episode should make it numero uno.

bo yea

ps dont 4get dear old alan partridge........wot a man

Technocrat
12-01-04, 17:03
In no particular order:

Red Dwarf
Faulty Towers
Coupling (I wanna grow up to be Jeff)
Black Adder

Patso
12-01-04, 22:25
I would have to say the following:

Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
Red Dwarf (not the last couple of series though!)
Spaced

But I think Only Fools and Horses will win!

PsiCorps
12-01-04, 22:44
RedDwarf is the http://www.getsomeskills.com/system/smilies/icon_win.gif

Tidus_Origin
13-01-04, 15:58
looks like i got to put my favourites up here

Only Fools & Horses (The bar fall scene, lol)
Red Dwarf (Especially series 1-6)
Faulty Towers
Blackadder

Thats about it. But how Red Dwarf didnt get into the top 10, we'll never know....

s0apy
13-01-04, 16:25
young ones will always be the best for me. closely followed by filthy, rich and catflap. in fact F,R&C was even funnier but only had one series as it was far more belligerent, nasty and violent that british mainstream audiences were willing to accept at the time. anyone remember the episode where richy rich keeps accidentally killing milkmen? priceless. "body-loser gary doesn't feel like losing a body today". "hello richy you old bastard", "hello fatty you complacent, mysoginistic bucket of sex sauce", and so on.

actually, if you enjoy the crew that brought you young ones, F,R&C and bottom, try hunting down "mr jolly lives next door" from "the comic strip presents..." series. absolute genius, unless you can't watch people vomiting copiously on each other. "the Dorchester with Nicholas bloody Parsons!"

shend
13-01-04, 18:19
1) young ones
2) bottom
3) black books

the dangerous brothers and the comic strip presents were beneath zero imo

as for the usa :

1) third rock from the sun
2) grounded for life (no shit)
3) anything bush says or does

france .... yeah right

Omnituens
13-01-04, 19:54
Originally posted by PsiCorps
RedDwarf is the http://www.getsomeskills.com/system/smilies/icon_win.gif
Series 6 is definiatly the http://www.getsomeskills.com/system/smilies/icon_win.gif

Milksh@ke
13-01-04, 22:26
no contest

==========================
Spaced > All

seriously nothing can really touch it..
close seconds have to be

Black Books
Phoenix Nights
Dead Like Me (thrown in for the wierd/cool factor)

A bit older

The Fast Show
Father Ted

Old school would have to be

Blackadder
Monty Python
Red Dwarf

actual stand up stuff and "shows" I have a load of too :)