PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid doy question...

MjukisDjur
10-01-04, 19:24
2 questions I seem to have missed the answers to:

* Will the engine stay exactly the same but have to handle bigger nicer textures or have it been improved/replaced?
* Will the netcode be optimized in any way so we can expect more than 10fps at an op fight? :)

Cheers

ezza
10-01-04, 19:31
dont think they have said yet, and proberbly wont until the LIST(tm) comes out

robinitnow
10-01-04, 20:09
The engine indoors has been highly optimized over the old one (again). So from the looks of things they will lose the old one and use the new one everywhere, not just in doy.

Engine history
Indoor engine is open source but they had to pay to use it in retail, then that highly played with it for the relece of nc, now they have taken that engine and highly played with it again.

As for the net code they have said absolutely nothing.

Ulle
10-01-04, 20:20
Originally posted by ezza
dont think they have said yet, and proberbly wont until the LIST(tm) comes out

I think the only things that are TradeMarked are the Soon™ and When its Done™. "The List" is yet to be said enough to earn a ™'ing. :D

As for the Info, might be an idea to wait for The List™ to get official word on this.

Judge
10-01-04, 20:23
Any word on when the list will be released Ulle? They said "Sometime in Jan" Do you perchance have an insider info on it :D

Ulle
10-01-04, 20:26
Originally posted by Judge
Any word on when the list will be released Ulle? They said "Sometime in Jan" Do you perchance have an insider info on it :D

The List™ will be released Soon™ hopefully, when its done™ and MJS has all the info confirmed, I have no more info than you on this subject.

ezza
10-01-04, 20:27
damn lot of trademarks being used in this thread

Judge
10-01-04, 20:28
I wanna know who KK is selling their soul to... I mean getting to publish Neocron. I'm really excited thinking about who it might be. :)

Tratos
10-01-04, 20:30
Originally posted by Ulle
The List™ will be released Soon™ hopefully, when its done™ and MJS has all the info confirmed, I have no more info than you on this subject.

That is an artifact 5 slot ultimated post with flash light, laser pointer and scope!!! lol

most TM's ever

Me wants teh LIST :(

~T

shodanjr_gr
10-01-04, 20:31
Originally posted by Judge

Its "Sometime in Jan"tm for you mister!

Shadow Dancer
10-01-04, 20:36
"I hate ppus"(tm)

MjukisDjur
10-01-04, 21:09
ahh the list. cannot take the suspense. have eaten all my fingernails now :/

msdong
10-01-04, 21:10
Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer
.... (This is not some sort of torture, but a requirement since not everything has been decided upon yet).

lol, tis is like a 30 day xmas eve'

Mighty Max
10-01-04, 21:16
to 1) The engine is updated with any patch when there were found optimizations afaik

to2) I fail to see how a netcode would influence fps. The net-code is running in an other thread then the renderer.

Psyco Groupie
10-01-04, 21:26
they have said theres better textures etc

athon
11-01-04, 01:48
Originally posted by Mighty Max
to 1) The engine is updated with any patch when there were found optimizations afaik

to2) I fail to see how a netcode would influence fps. The net-code is running in an other thread then the renderer.

The game can only render items the client knnows about. The client only knows about stuff it 'learned' from the server. Ergo netcode can effect fps.

I think there are some engine bugs tho, 'cause I can walk through a wastelands zone getting an fps that flickers between 58 and 62. When it goes down to 62 there's a noticeable lag.

I reallly hope they've done some engine improvements. That would so rock \o/

Athon Solo

Nash_Brigham
11-01-04, 07:25
Originally posted by athon
The game can only render items the client knnows about. The client only knows about stuff it 'learned' from the server. Ergo netcode can effect fps.

I think there are some engine bugs tho, 'cause I can walk through a wastelands zone getting an fps that flickers between 58 and 62. When it goes down to 62 there's a noticeable lag.

I reallly hope they've done some engine improvements. That would so rock \o/

Athon Solo All items in Neocron are client side. The only thing that the server sends is the information needed to place said object in game. The net code does not effect your FPS, but rather your video card and the strain the engine puts on that card. The more objects on your screen at a time, the lower your FPS becomes.

Samhain
11-01-04, 13:42
The client only knows about stuff it 'learned' from the server. Ergo netcode can effect fps.

you are not the architect. most english professors would smack you upside the head for saying 'ergo'.

it's especially funny when you preceed 'ergo' with laymens by saying 'stuff it learned from the server'

the client is running all sorts of threads for various things, one of them being socket functions to transmit data. the game is not one big procedure that comes to a hault whenever it has to wait for information from the server. the client is quite happy rendering outdated data (that is, for example, if you haven't recieved a packet to inform you that player X has actually moved 15.0 units forward)