PDA

View Full Version : Sniper spy

X Kitty X
10-01-04, 17:23
Basically I might come back to good old Neocron as everything else is a bit rubbish. What's it like playing a sniper spy? Is it fun? What kinda range do you get on the sniper rifles? Havent played in months so its all new to me! Thanks

Furion
10-01-04, 17:33
sniper spies are really really fun, the range on the rifles is about 3000 meters i think, but max clipping range is at approx 550 m :p. i like using my sniper much more then my APU, even tho i suck with it..... dunno why, i guess its just fun seeing 3 digit numbers flying off ppls heads :D (all except PPUs)

X Kitty X
10-01-04, 17:39
Coool! I see theres now stealth devices too. Can you put enough points into this and still be a kick ass sniper? What's the req skills on the rifles? Thanks for your help

Furion
10-01-04, 17:43
Stealth is kinda required to be a good sniper spy imo. u need 95 TC for stealth 2.
go to neocron.ems.ru (http://neocron.ems.ru) or croncom.com (http://croncom.com) for the reqs on the various rifles ;)

NeoSpartan
10-01-04, 21:23
lets put it this way.. at Mc Pherson the other night i dropped about every TT/BD atleast once by 50-150points including ppus btw... allowing my clanmates and everyoen else to mop everyone up.. only problems were the PEs who stealthed away after they got down in health.. they just stayed there.. ran in fired 2 shots till they got low.. ran away again..

but ya you can be fine w/ a sniper spy.. sorta need stealth though.. dont go above 2 though or it'spointless

StrongSad
10-01-04, 21:26
Dothey not put a swirly on the SH because it would give a snipers position away? Or could they just not make the model right with a swirly?

kurai
10-01-04, 22:02
Originally posted by StrongSad
Dothey not put a swirly on the SH because it would give a snipers position away? Or could they just not make the model right with a swirly? Because it gives position away.
Originally they had one, but it was removed with a subsequent patch.

FuzzyDuck
10-01-04, 22:22
here's mah baby

http://www.waaazup.com/users/FuzzyDuck/SH.JPG

Yes - Sniper Spies rule.

MegaCorp
11-01-04, 00:57
You can be a sniper without stealth, but you will probably be more successful and happier using it.

I actually prefer Stealth 3. It gives me a slightly longer stealthing time period that i almost always find useful (for doing stuff other than simply running away; i.e. recon / stalking / infiltration). Only rarely does it seem to last too long, and to counter that i carry some anti-stealth drugs to terminate stealth quickly if i decide i need to start sniping *now*.

But if getting from 2 to 3 will gimp you too much, dont bother. Also, a lot of people who can use 3 are happy with 2. I suggest that if you are able to experiment, then try both and decide which is best for you. If you think you might enjoy being able to thoroughly checkout the inside of an Op when it is occupied by enemies, and also scout the zone in detail, and potentially never be discovered, then try an Obliterator (a rare Stealth 4) ... but realize using one will gimp your damage output.

Spook

greendonkeyuk
11-01-04, 01:14
i use stealth 2 as a spy, i can use stealth 3 but 105 tech combat jus doesnt seem worth it. stealth 2 is 20 seconds and thats more than enough, having to use drugs to come out of stealth has never appealed to me. i use 3 drugs a lot as it is to increase damage output and defence. if i am due for a REALLY bad drug flash usually the 20 seconds is enough to see me safely through it. my setup does call for lots of drugging unfortunately but tbh ive managed to kill from range very effectively. i cant comment on sh tbh as never used it. i skipped straight to first love (loved it, but the accuracy sometimes got annoying) and now i use a disruptor. the swirly is a drawback as im not much of a sniper in the traditional sense but ive managed to kill pes and tanks proficiently at opfights. the trick is to get on their blind side and shoot em in the back, if i wanted to kill someone while staring them in the face id use a tank.

deac
11-01-04, 12:22
right i have a sniper spy with kami that uses ruptor and sh...

its fun yes but... my rifle pe just own sniper spys soo bad...

yes i do less dmg but i can take a shitload more dmg.....

end of the day a rifle pe is just better :\

unless your going to act as a scout... then you kinda need stealth 3.

Maester Seymour
11-01-04, 12:37
Sniper spy i've had more fun with than any of my char's i think. SH with explosive ammo on an apu in perticular is v nice :p

I like to use stealth3, it eats up like 105 t-c but it proves more useful to me than stealth2 has been. (Take some anti-stealth drugs with ya tho if ya gonna use that)

I usually take my hovertech with me when i go out sniping too.(which i hide somewhere..) My agility is pretty shit as for having so much t-c. So If they spot ya sniping em, u got a fast getaway :D

superfresh
11-01-04, 12:41
Dont know about PvM, but I took my tank out with another tank friend to hunt firemobs, and we heard the occasional plunk of a bullet hitting us. Lo and behold we spotted a sniper spy, who had a really high rank. He stealthed so there wasnt much we could do about him, but the dmg wasn't very impressive. We kept hunting and just figured he was helping us level con. :p

X Kitty X
11-01-04, 15:05
Well I reinstalled Neocron last night, downloaded patches for four hours on my 56k modem and logged in. Where the f**k is everybody?? Man. My characters on Saturn are all messed up, so its Pluto for me. 90 players online!

All my money has gone ??? but did a bit of poking and i'm now LOM'ing out of drones into rifles. Can't wait! Thanks for the advice everyone.

winnoc
29-01-04, 17:41
Well, i took out a lvl 63 PE in TG Canyon with three shots. (no armour on)

I stealthed over there to take the tag too :-)

MjukisDjur
29-01-04, 17:43
I for one cannot wait to come home and try my SH now that its supposed to be beefed up. Worked damn well before on some characters... and not at all at some :P

rabidfurball
29-01-04, 17:55
My primary character is a sniper spy and i'll just say that I love it! My artifact 3 slot silenced phosphor silent hunter does mad damge to just above everything even though i'm not capped. They jest increased sniper dmg on patch 195 and i havent tested it yet but before the damage i did 350 a shot to warbots and im not even capped yet. 10 shots would down a wb. I personally use stealth 3 because i find the extra 10 seconds perfect for getting out of tight situations. I also have an oblit.... i just need 4 drugs and a rc 3 boost to use it. I also find the hovertech strategy useful as it allows you to get up to places that cant be run to (aka the second cliff around the edge of the map). I don't pvp <i>that</i> much, but whenever I do I can kill just about everyone in 2-3 shots. Anyone below 35/35 is usally a one shot kill. The range of the sniper rifles is very impressive. The aiming recticle on the SH closes completely even at things past the fog so nothing is ever too far away.

Lethys
29-01-04, 17:57
If you are a good sniper, then the Rifle Kami is brilliant.

It completely fucks your resists (-100 to pierce and energy), and takes away 30 int (so no heavy belts), but if you have the right imps, you can fully cap ALL rifles, cap runspeed and still use 30 second stealth. Just don't get hit, ever :p

darkservent
29-01-04, 18:21
Originally posted by MegaCorp
then try an Obliterator (a rare Stealth 4) ... but realize using one will gimp your damage output.

Spook

Not realy i managed to use oblit and still cap dmg on all rifles. Only downside is that ROF isnt capped and no agil. Its that price to pay or put a kami in a be useless at takin even tiny amount of dmg.

Myrlin
29-01-04, 18:43
Originally posted by X Kitty X
Well I reinstalled Neocron last night, downloaded patches for four hours on my 56k modem

4 hours last night and a 12 mb patch this morning. You have my sympathy.

xIstrO
29-01-04, 21:08
I'v been toying around with setups for different classes and started trying to setup a sniper spy. I can make a kickass one with horrible defense, but I would be able to hack anything + imp myself.

My question is as a sniper spy do you get hit often? Is defense even viable for a spy since no matter what setup you still cant go toe to toe close range.

So could I use my setup which gives horrid defense or should I do a setup similiar to one of these templates (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85739&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) ?

The rifle spies in these have better defense but mine has different chips (sf,exp balist 3, distance 3, SA, advanced nerves) which frees up around 100 int points and alot of dex too. I also have 75agi 75atl in mine.

Ehyuko
29-01-04, 21:21
Sniper spies get hit less then most other classes... but still get hit a lot. You can always take 3 hits and survive, not 3 bursts but 3 hits.

So as a spy you can go the mini-pe route and use inq 1 pants and boots with 3 str imps and be limited to TL 108-109 items with crappy runspeed and RC, use drugs to get there and suffer through the drug flases of 3+ minutes every 10 minutes or you can say screw it and play the spy as a real spy and take a few hits and die. Pick the setup you want based on how you want to play.

Even spies with kami chips can go toe to toe with another class, but against tanks/psis you don't last long.

kurai
29-01-04, 23:02
It's not quite as bad as Ehyuko makes out ;)

I use the basic Inq 1 setup with no drugs (& no PP Resistor)
Get 181 RC, TC 95, WEP 176 (Stealth 2, cap damage & aim on a Silent Hunter, with 20 out of possible 24 shots/min), 70/70 runspeed, 400 health, capped force/pierce, high X-ray and moderately decent Fire & Energy resists. (No poison tho)

The defence still isn't anything to write home about - it just gives you that vital little bit more lifespan to be able to bug the fuck out once you get tagged.

i.e. You have just enough time to select and activate stealth before dying, once Mr. Monkeh starts dropping Holy Lightnings/Fire Apocs on you, wheras without Inq 1 chances are that you'd die before being able to stealth, half the time.