PDA

View Full Version : Who said PPUs were overpowered?

Archeus
10-01-04, 02:14
Took the Rhino out for the spin with Carn. Carn killed about 9 of a certain clan until they finally killed us (I got cockey and kept leaving the Rhino, won't happen again so quickly. Carn made a run for it instead of sitting around). At least one of them was a PPU and no less then 2 or more attacking at a time.

The only downside was that we couldn't fire into the Op where people hid to buff/heal up. They should make a Rhino that fires mortor shells.

* btw, GG :D kudos to Crypto.

petek480
10-01-04, 02:20
And how does this show that ppus aren't overpowered?

Archeus
10-01-04, 02:35
Originally posted by petek480
And how does this show that ppus aren't overpowered?

Well someone was mouthing off that anyone with a PPU in tow basically wins especially if they have more people. Well for a time it 2 (in a Rhino) vs 5-6 people (some PPUs, APUs and a Tank with an anti-tank gun).

Granted we only capped one PPU but they sure as hell couldn't rez the guys we were killing while we were there, and they certainly couldn't save them from the attacks either.

bounty
10-01-04, 02:36
I'm failing to see any relationship between this story and ppus.

Alex The Great
10-01-04, 02:38
It sounds to Me like your Just Trying to piss off the people you killed.

Archeus
10-01-04, 02:40
Originally posted by Alex The Great
It sounds to Me like your Just Trying to piss off the people you killed.

How do you work that out? I didn't mention anyone except the person who killed me. The group got raped by a Rhino, everyone bitches how PPUs ruin op fights or make it all one sided well that is far from the case.

Rade
10-01-04, 02:41
Archs newest solution to every balance issue in neocron is: Get a tank!

Archeus
10-01-04, 02:44
Originally posted by Rade
Archs newest solution to every balance issue in neocron is: Get a tank!

Humerous but actually true. We were up against a group that outclassed us in normal PvP (in fact everyone on our side on foot got toasted straight off) but with the crafts at the Op war they made a world of difference. There was also another guy there happly rocketting people with his combat trike (not sure if he killed anyone but he seemed to be enjoying himself and he did clear out the Stun turrets for us later on).

Rade
10-01-04, 03:04
Well, tanks are good against inexperienced players, but they are
easy to avoid and outmanouvre and you need to get out of them
in order to defend or attack hackrooms, and in many OPs you
cant get a Tank in there as you mentioned. Also most PvP doesnt
even take room in the wastelands. Tanks are.. nifty, but not alot
more.

Archeus
10-01-04, 03:09
Originally posted by Rade
Well, tanks are good against inexperienced players,

Odd, because the people we were up against were pretty experienced.

but they are
easy to avoid and outmanouvre

Yea taking cover, but running after a tank is suicidal as the gunner can happly take shots while the other person is driving and they can't shoot back easily. Also after that you get a good range you can snipe with the Rhino. About the only thing that can follow a Rhino and not die is a PPU and they can't do squat to one (Damage boost/ Para has no effect and anyone who does get para'ed can just bail back into the tank).

and you need to get out of them
in order to defend or attack hackrooms, and in many OPs you
cant get a Tank in there as you mentioned.[/B]

Not everything is in the hackroom, and while you can't drive a Rhino into most Ops you can drive it to a hill and snipe people in the op which acts as covering fire to the people inside the op.

I can't wait though until I meet someone who seems to be on your level of experience on taking down a rhino. :rolleyes:

Forget My Name
10-01-04, 03:13
I agree with both rade and arc, but, I don't see how you need to balance a class by comparing it to a tank. Since the tank is an awesome machine of war, you can say the tank over balances spies, tnaks and pes, which in my warped theory, puts the ppu back where it started.

its like this...

ppu 1000
apu 500
tank 400
pe 300
spy 200
droner 100
tradeskiller 0

a tnak balances out a ppu by negating 1000, so the final number are..

ppu 0
apu -500
tank -600
pe -700
spy -800
droner -900
tradeskiller -1000

Understand what I mean? in my opinion, ppus are fine, it is the fact that all other class choices are....

1)shitty
2)crappy
3)underpowered
4)shitty

It has been said before.... you dont nerf one to balance it all out, you have to raise the weak, to give rise to better choices...

Think about it. If you nerf PPU, all other class choices would still suck ass. nothing changed about them. Just because you chipped a piece of the diamond, that doesn't mean that a chipped diamond is equal to a piece of shit. Turn the shit into gold and lets have fun that way.

Archeus
10-01-04, 03:16
You have a pretty low opinion of droners. I've seen some droners drop scores of people where some people would have a problem going one on one with any of them.

hnlecter
10-01-04, 03:20
OMG RHINO IS OVER POWERED. Come on you knew it was going to be said and I want to make sure I got to said it first.

Psycho Killa
10-01-04, 03:54
Yea one droner can take out 10 people.

On the other hand one person experienced with droners could take out a 10 droners lol.

Scikar
10-01-04, 05:11
8 hits is it from Anti-Vehicle Rocket launcher?

garyu69
10-01-04, 05:40
I was also there today with Tank

I would have thought a Tank should be able to kill a PPU with some effort, but they basically did nothing pretty much :(

Ka0s^
10-01-04, 10:03
i like seeing tanks at wars it shows that the game is evolving a bit. I personally look forward to the day when its viable to actually form an effective column of tanks and attack vehicles to attack an op with apcs and troops coming up behind. Ive never seen it, dont know if anyones tried it or not?

amfest
10-01-04, 10:21
I"ve heard of it before happening Ka0s^ .. .and they killed all the defenders ... and then they built anti-vhc weapons and came back .. and blew them all up and killed the attackers :rolleyes:

Archeus
10-01-04, 11:08
Originally posted by Scikar
8 hits is it from Anti-Vehicle Rocket launcher?

Constructed one, 5 hits. But you would have to be very stationary for them to get a hit. Normally we run the tank to ground at 40% percent and repair it.

deac
10-01-04, 11:48
hey tanks really are usefull at op wars... if you dont bother with em they are going to kill your apus fast... heal or no heal on them

shodanjr_gr
10-01-04, 11:49
Originally posted by Archeus
Took the Rhino out for the spin with Carn. Carn killed about 9 of a certain clan until they finally killed us (I got cockey and kept leaving the Rhino, won't happen again so quickly. Carn made a run for it instead of sitting around). At least one of them was a PPU and no less then 2 or more attacking at a time.

The only downside was that we couldn't fire into the Op where people hid to buff/heal up. They should make a Rhino that fires mortor shells.

* btw, GG :D kudos to Crypto.

Éf the PPU is a noob, then its normal that uve beat them. Ive done it too, killed a few PPUs by spamming poison and nrg beam on them. But if the PPU has at least some basic skill that is needed in PVP and he actually knows when he has to retreat and rebuff etc etc, then no, PPUs are in this case overpowered.

Scikar
11-01-04, 02:03
Originally posted by Archeus
Constructed one, 5 hits. But you would have to be very stationary for them to get a hit. Normally we run the tank to ground at 40% percent and repair it.

If I couldn't hit you with AV Rockets then I'd just use Anti-Air rockets instead since they home in. :)

Flea
11-01-04, 08:12
i hate tanks. they own everyone

rhino tanks i mean

Candaman
11-01-04, 18:39
he failed to mention a apu and a rocket trike were there aswell and killing a ppu rank /55 ain't hard with a ppu to dmg boost and tank shooting.

Lafiel
11-01-04, 19:37
lol that was funny.... i chased that trike through like 6 zones :p :p

then when i got back saw another rhino and we all pwned it but it turns out the guy was just passing thru LOL!

Archeus
11-01-04, 20:10
Originally posted by Candaman
he failed to mention a apu and a rocket trike were there aswell and killing a ppu rank /55 ain't hard with a ppu to dmg boost and tank shooting.

The APU was Shadowdancer and he showed up in the last 10 minutes (before i died). As for the combat trike he was there for the last 20-30 minutes and I did mention the trike btw. :p

then when i got back saw another rhino and we all pwned it but it turns out the guy was just passing thru LOL!

Think that was garyu69, not sure.

Nasher
12-01-04, 13:50
A Rhino is VERY powerful if used properly (not alone and with people on foot to support it and repair it with a remote tool). You just have to make sure the people on foot keep anyone with anti-vehicle rockets busy, and prey the other team doesnt have 2 rhinos :p

But thats the way a tank should be :)

Lathuc
12-01-04, 14:13
i cant wait for bombers and stuff *dreams of huge air strikes and the likes* isnt there gonna be a troop carrier that flies? *dreams of jumping ot paratrooper style*

Archeus
12-01-04, 14:33
A Rhino is VERY powerful if used properly (not alone and with people on foot to support it and repair it with a remote tool).

Yea it needs a gunner and repair crew. Stationary a Rhino is pretty much dead even if the other side doesn't have anti-tank fire. The Gunner keeps stragglers from following you for too long and allows you to repair sooner. The passengers is a mixed blessing. On the one side you have a spotter but on the other you have to watch them too if they get out. You also have some people trying to enter to stop you from driving (Doesn't work :p )

The one nice thing I like about it though is that I am levelling dex like crazy from repairing it. We went to regants and made 3 levels of DEX from repairing while the gunner was popping mutants left and right.

Brought it out to try and get it damaged yesterday (DARK blew up my first attempt at this and copped on what I was up to). So I parked it at MB waiting for someone to attack it. Sure enough a certain 'Please don't nerf me' PE and thier crew show up and damaged it a couple of times. Got just under two levels of DEX from that, then drove up to my other Rhino (still at Regants) and repaired that and the Revs there and got another level of DEX.

I'll be capping my DEX soon at this rate.

Oh and I noticed something weird about the Rhino. If there is no gunner in the seat then mobs just will not go hostile to the Rhino, or they attack once then wander off or ignore you. Also I drove back to regants to try and get it damaged and I recieved 1 percent of damage, while when I was with a group I went through 52 boxes of nanites.

Rade
12-01-04, 14:46
Haha, that was you at MB? Silly me for forgetting the name of
that driver *bonks self* I never understood why everyone was
shooting at the tank but I figured it had done something in a
previous life or something and gave it a few potshots when it
drove by just for good measure :P