PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a coder. (project Y)

yanbybkipbbpbbp
09-01-04, 01:01
Project Y.
We have started working on a game project (aka Project Y) about 1 weak ago, and are still recruiting people. So far we only have 4. Most importantly we are looking for coders, who have some experience in C++ or are quick to learn it, though other “professions” are also welcome. Right now we have an animator, skinner, writer/maper, and a moder. If you are interested in joining us either email me at yanbybkipbbp@hotmail.com
or contact me through
aim: yanbybkipbbpbbp.

Rade
09-01-04, 01:03
Im not interested but dont you think you should provide
some more information about the project itself?

Tank!
09-01-04, 01:12
what the hell is project Y?

yanbybkipbbpbbp
09-01-04, 01:12
Well, I did not wish to provide more information since two of my team members think that the thread might be locked by crazy mods. But ok.
It’s a massive multiplayer game, a blend between dues ex 1,2/fallout 2/ system shock 2.
The rest I’m afraid is not wise to share at this time.

So if you are interested in something like this, feel free to contact me.

And the project is still in its early development, so the game rules and other aspects are still tweaked, and the engine for the game is state of the art (not neocron state of the art kind of engine if you get my drift)

bounty
09-01-04, 01:16
Originally posted by Tank!
what the hell is project Y?

The first rule of project Y is you don't talk about project Y.

joran420
09-01-04, 01:17
I would but my C++ is limited to consol programs atm....I havent tried learning open GL programming with c+ i might be able to pick it up

email me at joranbeasley@hotmail.com if this will cut it but im sure u can get a better coder

darkservent
09-01-04, 01:18
is this a full blown commercial MMORPG full 3d GFX and shit or is it another toontown.

Tank!
09-01-04, 01:24
I kid you not, ive been offered positions with many, many MMORPG startups and 99.9% of them ever get off the ground from concept to finish. If your storyline does'nt grab me or strike me as original, ill delete the offer. You can find me on the garagegames developer network along with many others, make your case there; not here in NC. Thats basically suggesting that your looking to troll their audience for a similar or like-game which is pretty low.

Mods, please

/close

yanbybkipbbpbbp
09-01-04, 01:31
Tank, it's nothing like that man. We were looking for scripters on this forum because the first of us in the team came from neocron, and still are in neocron and will be for a long time. You shouldn’t jump to conclusions like this.

Morris
09-01-04, 01:37
Originally posted by yanbybkipbbpbbp
the engine for the game is state of the art (not neocron state of the art kind of engine if you get my drift)

What engine are you using? Have you licensed a major commercial engine (Torque isn't state of the art just fyi, in fact it sorta sucks :p ), or have you developed an in-house engine? Will the coder be doing engine coding? Tools? Netcode? Interface? All of it (this is not the correct answer)? Any coder who knows enough to build an MMOG from the ground up is going to want to know these things.

Tank!
09-01-04, 01:40
im just trying to hold back my pension for flaming this thread right now.

If you did any research as an indie (independant) game company(groups included), then you would know there are quite a few communities out there (garage games, cipher, etc) that are of MUCH better service to you than here.

I will leave it at that, flaming just is'nt my style. :angel:

darkservent
09-01-04, 02:03
theres nothin bad abt nowin abt new projects so plz lets just keep to the topic and let the mods decide whether to close or not. This is general discusions so let some ppl talk abt things away from NC. Not gonna do any harm now are we.

yanbybkipbbpbbp
09-01-04, 02:10
Oh for shit sake, we are not some major corporation, what’s with the accusations and questions. We are simply gamers who have come together to develop a game through, methods I wish not to discuss here. It’s not like were recruiting you people and saying, yes apply here and the payment will be such and such. No, this is completely different, we are asking those who are interested in such a project and wish to participate nothing more, now tank I really don’t care what your skills are but worry not we are not going to contact you, we wish to work with people who are at least somewhat more flexible in mind and skills.

Please people, if you wish to join our team, good, email me, I have already provided all information I could post on this particular forum. If you do not wish to participate, that’s fine to, you don’t have to.

Once again, if you’re imaginative, and you have some cool ideas, if you have skills in scripting, skinning, animating…. you are welcome to join us and should contact me.

Marx
09-01-04, 02:11
I'm game for anything, though I've no useful skills.

:D

nonamebrandeggs
09-01-04, 02:17
Marx can put in easter eggs, he's good at easter eggs.

Marx got skillz.

Rade
09-01-04, 02:22
If you are going to make a mmorpg then begin with reading the
book "Developing Online Games" by Jessica Mulligan and
Bridgette Patrovsky. Then realise this: Coding a MUD, a basic text
version of a MMORPG, takes thousands of manhours for
experienced programmers. MMORPGs never have a budget under
$5million. Making a small 2d adventure game still takes a group of
say 10 people at least half a year, if they are experienced in their
field and have a experienced producer. I suggest you and your
friends start on a smaller scale and try to make a few small
games before taking the quantum leap to MMORPGs.

**edit: Most MMORPGs are in development 3 years or more,
during this time as many as 50 experienced programmers,
designers and graphic artists are working on it, and some of
them still come out pretty shitty. There is a huge difference
between regular single/multiplayer games and MMORPGs, while
a "regular" game can be made and maintained by a small team
within a reasonable timeframe and with a small budget, a
MMORPG can not.

Marx
09-01-04, 02:23
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
Marx can put in easter eggs, he's good at easter eggs.

Marx got skillz.

http://dirtynuke.net/easteregg.jpg

Damned skippy.

Sealdude
09-01-04, 02:44
Not to be mean as you seem to getting pretty bashed here already but you really need to have a firm idea of what you are doing. Also if you want people to join you cant have this "I cant tell you crap" its not a secret military project ok? If you have researched this and you can make an MMO then you will be one of the few teams who can and I doubt anyone will steal your idea.

LordError
09-01-04, 03:00
since everyone here seem to like bashing. Im going to be a bit nice eh. :)

If you are working on a mmorpg, and need an engine. you should realy look at this! This is high qualty gpl'ed mmo engine for you to use. It has been developed for the mmorpg ryzom.

Ryzom: http://www.ryzom.com
NeL (mmo engine): http://www.nevrax.org

bounty
09-01-04, 03:37
Originally posted by Tank!
I kid you not, ive been offered positions with many, many MMORPG startups and 99.9% of them ever get off the ground from concept to finish. If your storyline does'nt grab me or strike me as original, ill delete the offer. You can find me on the garagegames developer network along with many others, make your case there; not here in NC. Thats basically suggesting that your looking to troll their audience for a similar or like-game which is pretty low.

Mods, please

/close

Why in hell would KK care about a few guys from these forums getting together to work on a game? I think it is fantastic.

Gotterdammerung
09-01-04, 04:45
please don't use the Neocron forums to solicit business. if anyone is interested please send the thread starter a pm