PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns

necrocon
07-01-04, 11:59
Why arent they AoE would that not make sense surely someone here has used a shotgun and knows you cant just hit one thing unless the barrel is touching it

or am I totaly wrong on this

would give a close range AoE to Rifle users as aposed to long range for HC and pistol users

Erm there is the flame thrower forgot lol

Hayato
07-01-04, 12:00
just an OT: Nice name :D

El Barto
07-01-04, 12:03
I think it should be AoE, but a very small AoE, so much so that you could it 2 maybe three people at the most with it. If its possable dirrect hits will do alot more damage than hit by the AoE part (like other AoEs, I think).

s0apy
07-01-04, 12:30
playing devils advocate, i'd have to say that rifles are, in reality, meant to be all about accuracy and range. in NC that doesn't quite hold - they are about damage and range, and to a lesser extent about accuracy (since it's easier to aim a pistol in fact, than a rifle). but i've never been able to see how AoE fits into that.

as to "shotguns" being about AoE in RL, i have my doubts. sawn-offs certainly are about doing nasty damage at close range, but even there they are more about maiming and incapacitation than actual killing. if you want to kill someone/something with shot, you use a long barrelled weapon, and they can be quite accurate even at longish range.

if you've ever hunted grouse or pheasant, you'll know that you can take down a fairly small target, moving fast and at high range, with a shot-based projectile. it does spread out a bit, hence making it easier to get your target, but therefore isn't much good for anything larger than a small bird.

i wouldn't like to try and kill a tank at medium range with a bunch of lead pellets, no matter how fast they're moving, and if they were all spread out you can forget about piercing any armour.

necrocon
07-01-04, 12:35
INteresting no i have never used a gun actualy BB gun paintball count?

I just think a small spread might be interesting as ofr other AOE of course rifles are not that weapon type just thought shotguns would be or do massive close range I have not seen the terminator in action therefore I can not say anything about its damage

Someone with Term info want to talk about it?

Sundiver
07-01-04, 12:45
Oh my god, about pistols.. you guys using pistols are so spoiled, it's not even fun :P

I mean, I LOM'ed my researcher's drone skill all the way into P-C the other day, put almost all of my INT into research (when he cap INT and DEX, he will go 100% tradeskill). Well.. I bought the pistol buff spell and let my constructor build a nice SMG (the TL 38 one, don't recall the name) with 3 slots. He made a 4 slot too, but I was too fast on the button when I sold the 1-2 slotters at A&W, and accidently sold my 4 slotted and modded one.. argh.

Anyway, the 3 slotter do not have a laser pointer, and with the weapon lore buff, I got a whopping 6 WEAPON LORE! Wow.. So I thought to myself - "haha this will be fun, now let's try and see if I can even aim at the aggie caps". So I went down, aimed and nearly fainted. The reticule close just about as fast as as when I had some 90-ish lore and a nice rifle :P I had no armor except a belt, though, so every single cap almost killed me. Quite fun, actually, that ugly little thing goes "RATATATATATATATATA" haha :D

Ok sorry, bored..

s0apy
07-01-04, 13:11
one other point - current AoE coding seems to always place the AoE damage within a circle or sphere , allowing for the person firing the weapon to be within the area of damage if he shoots something close enough to himself (such as the floor of his appy).

however, shotgun based AoE would necessarily need to be within a cone shape, spreading out from the gun, and within that cone there would need to be proportionately less damage at the edges and perifery of the cone. i'd guess that would be hard to code, and cause a good deal of lag too.

speaking as a near full-time PE player, i'm not keen on an AoE rifle, mainly because such things blur the differences between the classes and, if they prove useful, inevitably start a round of calls for nerfs.