PDA

View Full Version : LOM stacking

superfresh
07-01-04, 03:31
I can see why LOMing has the timesink penalty it does. But since there are times where it is almost NECESSARY to LOM, for example I'm having to dump 180 points in a skill because I can't get any more without shooting critters, I don't see why I should have to watch him do it.

So...

Why not let LOMing stack? Fine, I get like 5 mins of SI when I take a LOM pill. Let me take like 50 at once and get several hours worth of SI, so I don't have to sit and painfully watch him and keep taking the pills. I could LOM before bed, and when I wake up he's ready to go...

Either this or remove the merciless restrictions on tradeskill exp. :angel:

40$Poser
07-01-04, 04:08
Originally posted by superfresh
I can see why LOMing has the timesink penalty it does. But since there are times where it is almost NECESSARY to LOM, for example I'm having to dump 180 points in a skill because I can't get any more without shooting critters, I don't see why I should have to watch him do it.

So...

Why not let LOMing stack? Fine, I get like 5 mins of SI when I take a LOM pill. Let me take like 50 at once and get several hours worth of SI, so I don't have to sit and painfully watch him and keep taking the pills. I could LOM before bed, and when I wake up he's ready to go...

I agree 100%. The average person doesn't honestly have hours on end to sit and watch for SI to fade on lom pills. It's a bit outrageous that you have to stay glued, bored to death, watch SI fade, eating another lom...

DonnyJepp
07-01-04, 04:27
It would be cool if they reduced the impairment to 20% and then let us stack up to 100% impairment worth of LoMs.

L0KI
07-01-04, 04:29
Originally posted by superfresh

So...

What an ABSOLUTELY FUCKING FANTASTIC idea !!!

5 stars and one big fat "SEXBOOBSGEIL" for you. :D

Dade Murphey
07-01-04, 04:51
When I saw the thread title I at first assumed it was just another person wishing loms could stack so you could take 50 loms and only get 10min worth of penalty...but you actually have a nice idea...as long as each lom is still 5min impairment so they can't really be abused like they were in the beginning...so, great idea :D

james_finn
07-01-04, 05:29
I totally agree, I have just tried to make a pure tradeskiller, but I have found that it is impossible to lvl with one beyond a rank of /30. I think there should be the option to lvl without killing things so its about time it got sorted out, and the exp for higher things were increased dramatically.

Delphi

Keyol45743241
07-01-04, 07:09
Watch TV, eat a lom every few minutes? And a tradeskiller doesn't need to be capped to archieve acceptable results, actually not even near. :rolleyes:

bounty
07-01-04, 07:18
I disagree with this idea. Part of the reason I hate loming is cause i have to babysit my character. If i knew i could take 50 and leave my computer on overnight, this would make loming a breeze and not a detourant at all.

Don't get me wrong, the idea is very good, but I think it is just a step closer to taking away the reason why loming is such a negative feat as is.

I don't think people should be able to change their character so quickly.

In my opinion, No.

Dade Murphey
07-01-04, 08:09
this wouldn't really make lomming more viable...you'd still have to spend X hrs lomming...you'd still lose xp...it'd just be less of a game ruiner on a whole to do it...the games about having fun...spending, easily, 4 or more hrs of your game time doing this manually it's making the game fun...I don't want to see loms turned into like they were when the first came out...but I'd like to see something done to make it less obnoxious to the player

TheEnemy
07-01-04, 08:39
It takes too long at the moment. I say reduce the synaptic to 10% or so. 40% is a bit of an overkill.

And alt-tab is your friend, or a book/hobby or something :)

superfresh
07-01-04, 08:41
Well, is the penalty for LOMing the time that your character is impaired, or the time you have to sit and watch them impaired?

Seriously, let me tradeskill or let me hunt. Don't make me watch my character take pills over and over. I made no mistakes in developing my tradeskiller. I just want to be better than I am at what I do, and the game design isn't going to let me do that by performing my tradeskill. I shouldn't be penalized in real time for LOMing, and no one else should IMO. Game time is another story.

Gaining exp takes a long time, removing it possibly should or shouldn't, but either way I don't see why I should have to watch & right click a mound of pills over and over. If I'm going to LOM 50 times, that character is going to be unusable for that period, which is fine. I just shouldn't have to babysit an unusable character. And the it's kind of ironic I'm LOMing the very skill I'm trying to get better at. Also, consider this - if I choose to leave a LOMing character logged on while he does so, that means all other characters on that acct are unusable.

Bottom line is, I think LOMing is fine as is, except it should stack.

J. Folsom
07-01-04, 11:31
LOMing is good as it is now, it's currently an annoying thing you'd never do for the fun of it. Which is exactly what it's supposed to be.

LOMs are meant for correcting minor flaws in your character's setup, in which case the time it takes is acceptable, however once you start into the extreme usage of LOMs (Let's say, using more then 20 on one skill), it get's highly annoying and painful. While normally annoying painfulness is a bad thing, it's in this case the best way of preventing people from LOMing too much.

With the stacking LOMs you suggest, people would go back to LOMing to a tradeskill and back, the only difference is that instead of instantly changing back again, they'd just change their skills before going to sleep, wake up next morning and do their tradeskilling, then LOM back to normal when they go to school/work.

El Barto
07-01-04, 11:37
Nice idea, like some one said above LoMs should only give you 20% Si.

jernau
07-01-04, 11:49
Best way to remove LoM SI headaches - REMOVE LoMs.

Problem solved.

NEXT!!!

Ormy
07-01-04, 19:21
When LoMs had zero penalty, KK only changed that to stop people hacking an OP, then LoMing and pwning everybody 2 mins later.

That was the ONLY downside to LoMs, so all we need is something to stop that happening, what we have now is WAY overkill. This idea is damn good!

Rai Wong
07-01-04, 19:36
I disagree loms are a gift from KK in the first place, neocron is like the only game i've played which allows such an exploit, making it easy to do will just make everyone have uber boring cookie cutter setups

Leebzie
07-01-04, 19:40
LoM's are one of the games best features IMHO... I've talked many people into cron cause of the LoM's (before lom nerf) especially those who are tired of restarting thier chars when they make mistakes in other MMO's...

And rather than cookie cutter, more freedom to play about with setups would make people less afraid to be daring, and give that experimental setup a try, at least IMO.

On the issue of time, im one of the people lucky enough to find time to switch a subskill over from 100+. What about the people that dont have those hours to spare ?

I can only just endure them, because they are so BORING !

Strych9
07-01-04, 20:43
As it is right now, I do chores, wash dishes, make dinner, browse web pages... whatever. Every few minutes I bring the Neocron window (running Neocron in a window removes ALL alt-tab issues, ESPECIALLY for LOMming) to the front and pop another pill.

GIVEN thats how it works now... whats the big advantage in making me click the pill every few minutes? Whats the harm in letting me pop a bunch at once and just coming back a few hours later?

I would understand if status quo LOMs were very hands-on and required a lot of effort on your part- but thats not the case.

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 21:36
5 stars, nuf said

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 21:38
Originally posted by Rai Wong
I disagree loms are a gift from KK in the first place, neocron is like the only game i've played which allows such an exploit, making it easy to do will just make everyone have uber boring cookie cutter setups

Almost every game i played allows character reskills.

Anarchy Online had reskills (every char started with 2 of em and got more as he progressed)

DaoC had reskills.

And they were instant ones, releasing ALL your skill points.

SWG has reskills.

But Neocron is the only game that makes you both loose xp while reskilling and also tons of time.

Judge
07-01-04, 21:47
I like the idea alot.

Removing loms would not lead to less cookie cutter setups because atm everyone knows how to set up a cookie cutter char and most chars are pointed in that direction. Loms allow you to have some fun with your character... letting you make a really funny character, like heavy combat PE or something but once you get bored of it you can change it back. What really is the harm in that eh? Oh yes you can make RP excuses saying that its not RP... but really for the majority of people RP is a part of enjoying a game but when you have to lom for ages or realise that you have fucked up your character because the game lagged and put in two points instead of one its really gonna turn you off the game.

Loms have saved KK one customer... me. I got bored of my main char being rifles, so I lommed her over to pistols and am having alot of fun now. I lost a few Dex levels and had to hunt for quite a few hours afterwards. But that time was also productive and I got some tech parts,money etc.... so it was enjoyable. That sort of timesink is ok, just sitting watching a bar moving down is not.

Dade Murphey
08-01-04, 03:50
LoM's the way they used to be also ruined Pluto, for example, it kills the community...everyone can be a trade skiller themselves...everyone can do whatever for combat or such, whatever suits them at the time...there was no need for interaction between players for the most part...it kills the community and economy of the game...the way they are now is great...yet annoying...if they change anything about them I wouldn't mind them being removed...