PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40K players:What are your armies?

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 02:18
As it says on the title.

What is your army/armies in Warhammer 40K?

I got Ultramarines (worst army in the game but i love em, they remind me of NC smurfs, all tucked up in their blue PAs), and i am trying to get together a Necron army as well.

PS: NERF THE TYRANNIDS

<edit>ARG some mod edit the poll and make it multiple choice plz! I R stupid.

Lucid Dream
07-01-04, 02:22
Necron =) fear the C'tan

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 02:29
Originally posted by Lucid Dream
Necron =) fear the C'tan

Necron own. But that rule they got when they phase out after taking 75% casualties is their bane. Especially considering that i always have at least 4 plasma cannons in my army list, it is not difficult to deal those casualties. Back damn those c'tan god units are fucking FEARSOME!!!!!

NERF THE C'TAN!!!!!

Lucid Dream
07-01-04, 02:40
Phase out hardly ever comes into play for me, i have on average about 55 models in a 2k game, so my phase out is around 40, last game, i lost a grand total of 6 models, (all troops) and killed all 2050pts of my friends Daemonhunters.

REMUS
07-01-04, 02:53
Eldar
Space Wolves
Imperial guard

should of made it multiple choice, why do you wanna know? also yeah nerf tyranids, it seems only tau can really take them on atm and they need to be nerfed too lol.

ive actually stoped playing 40k to do other stuff but i still enjoy it when i get a good opponant.

although i still prefer version 2 rules, i guess version 3 is a little more balenced.

shrubbery
07-01-04, 02:53
I got this Legion of the Damned set, are they 40k?

Logan Tyrus
07-01-04, 02:56
I used to collect Dark Angels, their brush with and salvation from Chaos made em sound pretty cool! That was before all this Tau rubbish and stuff tho! The Necrons had only just come out and the tyranids were only available in Tyranid attack in those days :P

I got some fun pointy nose marines tho!

Dribble Joy
07-01-04, 02:57
WAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKKA!!!!!!

REMUS
07-01-04, 02:57
Originally posted by shrubbery
I got this Legion of the Damned set, are they 40k?

yeah they are, pretty hard to paint but they are definately as cool as 40k gets............ lol

Sealdude
07-01-04, 03:00
I was TAU and then IG but it costs too much money :(

Oath
07-01-04, 03:11
Death Guard.

\\Fényx//
07-01-04, 03:59
Space wolves and Tau for 40k

I loved SW Scouts :) Pure ownage when they pop up behind the enemy side, trat em with plasma pistols then charge in with 2 power weapons :p

Tho TBH I preferd the old rules set over the current ones... Another bitch is that some fucking JACKASS FUCKHEAD decided to set fire to the back of my local store, fucked up half the store, and GW never botherd fixin it up and refurbishing so just stopped the lease as it ends soon anyhow :( so st alban's is my closes store now.

Used to work for em, just did painting and modeling mostly, that interested me more than gaming, tho bloodbowl's my game outta the lot ;)

random hero
07-01-04, 04:00
I play imperialguard and they are justthe bestarmy ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L0KI
07-01-04, 04:27
i played it once, but it pissed me off so much that i threw all my friends perfectly painted pieces into a bucket of paint.

my bad, his complete and utter misfortune.

The 1 time i played it, i was space marines tho

nonamebrandeggs
07-01-04, 04:54
I played when I was like 11.

I was Eldar, and I had a big ship and some guys and a special guy.

Clive tombstone
07-01-04, 05:47
Heh, i still have all of my assasins, There friggin awsome, especially my Vindicar assasin (Cloaked uber sniper :D ) Him and a small squad of Tau or Marines will do any job fairly effieciently.
I perfer Jump troopers and a vindicar assasin. Since the V assasin has about 24 Inch Range (Thats almost always about 3/4's of the Playing field:D ) No one is safe :D . If I dont use my Vind assasin, I use my Calidus, She's a Real Pain if your facing her, IF your using here, she's a One man (err woman) army in the best situation.

ZoneVortex
07-01-04, 06:03
i play the 'hella days' army cause i got hellllla days :eek:

Rieper
07-01-04, 06:03
i use to play Space Wolves, coz they pwned it hardcore... but they got nerfed.

still, they have the only unit that can match tyranids 1v1 in close combat.. unless they've changed that too..

when i played, Necrons had been out for a month and it was all about scouts behind enemy lines, the junior SW (blood fangs or something like that) in a fat group with double melee weapons charging asap.

Varaem
07-01-04, 06:05
Originally posted by Clive tombstone
Since the V assasin has about 24 Inch Range (Thats almost always about 3/4's of the Playing field:D

36 inches for sniper rifles. Most tables are 36 long, 54 wide or so. It's like, 2 red sticks by 3 red sticks or something like that, each red stick being 18" of course.

And uh, Necrons have been around for 6 years as of february this year.

ZoneVortex
07-01-04, 06:06
Originally posted by Varaem

And uh, Necrons have been around for 6 years as of february this year.

see what did i tell you?

hellllla days!

Dribble Joy
07-01-04, 06:07
30 strong squad of Ork Slugga boyz, 4 attacks when charging, with Initiative 4, WS 4, cannot fall back untill about 80% casualties. with assualt heavy weapons. :D

Clive tombstone
07-01-04, 07:43
HMm, 36? well thats even better, also you have to take in there special equipment as well, which is a stealth suit (basically Nighttime spotting aplies during the day time, Maybeing they cloaked indivi Much harder to hit) anywho, I dont really have a pref for any army, as long as my squad has my Vindi ass or my Callidus

Barak
07-01-04, 10:51
Deathworld Catachans + A good Jungle Board is great fun especially if you got a welll done Devils Squad or Demo team.

hehe kinda miss playing last time my lil ol' Captin took on one ofthe newer Canrifexs and beat his arse down .. hehe pitty i can't afford it anymore

Jesterthegreat
07-01-04, 11:58
never played... i painted a mean space ork though :p

won a few comps with the space ork's i painted :D

El Barto
07-01-04, 12:12
Ultramarines are da ub3r0z

Breschau
07-01-04, 12:13
Been years since I played; I stopped buying GW products after their price hikes got too insulting, and my main opponent has moved out of practical range for any real battles with the models we bought before then.

However, my main force when I did play, and still sitting in storage somewhere, was Orks. I got maybe half of it painted (a decent size squad of Blood Axe Kommandos, a Dreadnaught (whatever the Orkish spelling was), a handful of terminators, and a few squads of 'boyz' with a smattering of heavy weapons, and that general guy with the goblin [edit: sorry, gretchen :rolleyes:] standard bearer whose name I forget. Think I got a battlewagon too, constructed from old cereal boxes and sticky backed plastic, Blue Peter style. And I vaguely remember being able to use Imperial tanks and stuff, in which case there's one of those tanks with the flame turret.

Also got a smaller but fully painted Chaos army, led by a customised general in terminator armour (can't remember all the details, but instead of the bald chaos guy's head, he's got the head of some Tyranid critter sticking out) named Gamblor - stolen from the simpsons, he's "the gambling monster that's enslaved your mother".

Siygess
07-01-04, 12:16
I've had a Cadian Imperial Guard army for a couple of years now (and I dont think much of the new plastic ones) and it's a rifle company, so I have almost no tanks!

I'm mad I tell you!

07-01-04, 12:21
I have soo many

Marines (lots of different chapters, White Scars are my main though)
Necrons
Guard (Cadian)
Nids
Eldar (Ulthwe)
Orks
Tau (no Kroot)
A splattering of Daemon hunters
Chaos Marines

CarniFlex
07-01-04, 12:36
Eldar!!!!oneoneoe

Long live the Craftworlds!!!

my infantry of shuriken catapult squads has killed many foes. Then again theyre always backed up by a couple of dreadnought's and a hovertank or two.

jj dynomite
07-01-04, 14:11
SPACE PUPPIES. They need their own option for the vote (they are soo much better than any other space marine)

I've never lost a game with me puppies

I played a 1000 point jug army and they PWND.

Plus....Bjorn....need i say more?

jj

jj dynomite
07-01-04, 14:16
Originally posted by L0KI
i played it once, but it pissed me off so much that i threw all my friends perfectly painted pieces into a bucket of paint.

my bad, his complete and utter misfortune.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dude....

If you did that to my minatures you would be my footstool for 5 years.

That is unforgivable.

arg....ah.....i'm speechless.

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 14:19
Originally posted by jj dynomite
SPACE PUPPIES. They need their own option for the vote (they are soo much better than any other space marine)

I've never lost a game with me puppies

I played a 1000 point jug army and they PWND.

Plus....Bjorn....need i say more?

jj

Heheh true Space Wolves OWN.

I am actually converting some SW blood claws to veteran marines for my army. ph33r my double cc weapons!!!!!!

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 14:21
Ah and about tau, they arent THAT hard. Ive never lost a battle against them. What you need is a fast mobile force, for instance Space marine bikers, or Rhino mounter Close combat squads. The other day i had a land raider+a rhino charging at em. Close combat from the 2nd round, needless to say, they got 0wn3d.

Q`alooaith
07-01-04, 16:04
For the Greater good... I play tau.. got a rather large army now, maybe near 5K point's, though I hardly play at all now (never?)

Kal
07-01-04, 16:09
Black templars,
dark eldar

and the bane of any who played me.....
Armoured company :lol:

dont play any more tho

Q`alooaith
07-01-04, 17:01
Kal, my Tau would kick your AC's butt's from here to somwhere over there, in that general direction... No the other left, yea that way just up a little...

I only played aganst an AC once and that ended quite well for me, broadside's split into three squad's with 2 in each, shield generator's, crisis suit's missile pod's sending screaming death upon the chimera's, and all the while shield generator's preventing the death's of most of my army..

I love fighting AC's and Tank heavy army's, since all their point's spent in big gun's I can often take out most of their force quickly, and with my SG's keeping my tank buster's alive..

Kal
07-01-04, 17:16
i only fought tau with them once, it was the release day and the staff had won over tem fights with tau with no losses, everyone was scratching their heads and saying hmmmmmm, so i had a go with my AC, i rolled 1st turn and every enemy was dead or fallen back on the first turn :lol:

s'pose it was a little in my favor as there wasnt much cover available

6 ordinance weapons is t3h pwn :p
(2 vanquishers too, can have em as troops and theres no limits to the numbers in AC)

the one army that pisses me off it deepstriking space marine squads, cause in 1000 point battles in have very little in the way of infantry support (still crap in over), once the enemy gets near me im fuct

MrBane
07-01-04, 17:17
I had at my peak, 8k of Blood Angels, although this was about ten years ago now. So 8k was still fairly cheap.

The prices are ridiculous these days, so I stopped nearly five years ago.

However, Necromunda was my favourite side-game.

Used to love taking the Tenth Army into battle against the Tyranids. We had a storyline going, and most of our battles were against a huge invading force of Tyranids, trying to take over some of the outer colonies. Used to love having five or six Tactical Squads lined up and just razing down the gunfire, before the main force arrived and laid waste with the Terminators. Rawrgh.

However, the rules now suck and the prices are now no longer a hobby price. I waste my time no more on this.

Kal
07-01-04, 17:19
everyone in this thread shoud know where my name comes from :p

OpTi
07-01-04, 18:20
i have a spacewolves army rwar quite possibly the beardest army there is.

i remember fighting a mycetic(sp?) spore tyranid army back then people had to use the manual rules cuz the codex wasn't out yet.

i was totaly sourrounded by genestealers i had no option i wasn't going to let them charge me and get and extra attack i shuffled my troops and fired a volly before charging right at them with everythign i had.

my venerable dreadnought stamped on a few and my armies leader ran in with his 6-7 attacks and just tore through those stealers (duel lightning claws owned), the tyrranid player was completely gobsmaked that his army had lost in close combat :D i was well happy.

but i i had most fun tearing up a khorne beserker army with my plague marine army, my chaos lord with plague sword took out his in 1 turn, as he also did to a hive tyrant another time :D

Dribble Joy
07-01-04, 18:36
OOH if I had a digital camera I would put up a pic of my looted hellhound.

It's got a dirty great dozer blade, orky gyphs, a grot rigger, huge great big spikes on its fuel tanks, and loads of other sweet stuff.
Pride and joy of my army, other than my War boss and his body guard.

Lethys
07-01-04, 18:37
Stopped playing about a year ago, had Tyranids and Chaos Iron Warriors.

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 20:23
Hehehe, i remember my favorite moment in a warhammer 40K game. Actually 2 of em.

First time was my first battle. Me being totally noobish, using the worst army list one could imagine and i was playing against one of the best players in our WH community, he was playing da space orks. Anywayz i somehow managed to wipe the guy out (my bolters wipping out his killa'khans, and my assault cannons managing hits against his dreadnoughts). Damn i felt sooooo good and he soooo humiliated. Needless to say that he has kicked my ass soooo many times since then.

Second time was a couple of months ago. I was battling a chaos army and i had deployed a 5 strong unit of Grey Knights for some extra anti-deamonage support. There was this chaos demon prince, he had recieved every single shot of high power shooting in my army (including weapons that ignore invulnerable saves, courtesy of deamonhunters). Then it was the time for those mighty stormbolters to fire. 3 storm bolters fire, the deamon goes down. Me and my opponent were both like WTF???

Damn i love this game :)

Possessed
07-01-04, 20:39
6k of Blood Angels
3k of Tau
3k of Necrons
1k of Dark Eldar
4k of Chaos marines

Stopped playing about a year and a half ago now when I moved from Copenhagen to the UK, away from all my regular opponents, staff members that I knew really well things like that, also none of my friends in the UK play it, and the closest store to me is like 40 min away, guess I just drifted away. I also have a uber board upstairs... manager of my old store helped me make it, basically its just a crossroads in a demolished city, fucking uber, I would post pics but its a bit damaged from the move, and frankly I can't be arsed.

BTW, has GW come out with a new rules set, or is it still 3rd edition?

Dribble Joy
07-01-04, 20:44
Still 3rd ed. but a few changes to one or two units. I think the Hellhound is teh nuts now. Worls like it used to, HUGE AOE.

steweygrrr
07-01-04, 20:46
I got a Tau army based on mobility i.e. no Kroot because they are annoying to put (and) keep together. No one fights better than the Tau (other than SW cos they pwn what with Bjorn, Nigel and Ragnar Blackmane - BTW is he still in that?) because, honestly, who is gonna stand up to 2 full strength Broadside teams (with targetlocks and Smart Missiles of course! Oh and a Shas'vre with Multitracker - for when you just cant be arsed using 1 gun!) supported by 2 full strength pathfinder teams?

Remember the previous version..... Ragnar Blackmane on Combat drugs taking 15 'stealers in one go was the most AWESOME sight ever!

Dribble Joy
07-01-04, 20:50
My hoarde of about 160 models would sort you out.
4 squads of 30 boys
1 mob of about 40 grots
the Warboos and the body guard (fully kitted up, 500 points for the 6 of em)
10 warbikes
6 killa kans
3 dreadnaughts
hellhound
battle wagons
6 warbuggies

steweygrrr
07-01-04, 20:54
ahhh but I didnt list my troops & elites.....

remember how I said no Kroot? Imagine what is now replacing ALL the troops slots heheh

Elites:

2 teams of 5 stealthsuits
Crisis team

Last Heavy support choice
Railgun Hammerhead

hehehehe.. BLAM

Dribble Joy
07-01-04, 20:56
I didn't mention my 2 batteries of zzap guns.

shodanjr_gr
07-01-04, 21:26
Originally posted by steweygrrr
ahhh but I didnt list my troops & elites.....

remember how I said no Kroot? Imagine what is now replacing ALL the troops slots heheh

Elites:

2 teams of 5 stealthsuits
Crisis team

Last Heavy support choice
Railgun Hammerhead

hehehehe.. BLAM

Crisis teams are got excellent mid range shooting and they also got some damn impressive manuverablity. But get them into close combat with anything stronger than a slotling and they are dead.

Thats why crisis suits have to fear my veteran marine CC squads(always mounted in rhinos). 4 attacks each when charging, 10 marines in total, thats 40 attacks. Add the +1 attack they get if they got a chaplain with a holy relic nearby. Hm...i guess thats a lot of dead tau :p

Clive tombstone
08-01-04, 01:30
MAn, No one else is using assasins? , Anywho, My favorite, was a when I had my little squad of my Vind assasin, and a little squad of Imperial gaurds and L imp gaurd, and we had to face off against a "CAPITOL IMPERIALIS TITAN" man, its this huge mech/Castle a friend of mine said I should try and take down, well, we started the match and well, long story short, all that was left after the first five mins was the leutenant, and the V assasin. Luckly the luetanent held the beasts attention for a bit while my Vindy got his special shot ready(vindies have special bullets"one time use" kinda rule, ) for instance the shot I used is called Turbo penitrator, amd omflicts wounds on any modelm wounded( yes I managed to wound that goliath) and when I rolled a four, Down came the gaint, Least to say, that was the best match Ive ever played( outa about 7 matches total :D )

If anyone knows where I can get one of those titans, cuz they rock, please tell me?

gostly
08-01-04, 02:03
what's warhammer? :rolleyes:

Varaem
08-01-04, 03:53
I liked Necrons before their codex came out, and even before the chapter aproved.. they kicked ass with the white dwarf 3rd ed. rules. I'd take 2 10 man immie squads, 2 lords with veil, 20 scarabs, 5 destroyers (one with heavy), the rest warriors. It's really lame when my entire army either moves 12" or teleports every turn... except the warriors, who just hide and keep me above 75%. Scarabs were lame back then.. 6 pts, str 3 ap2 attack, every model in contact gets hit. I'd place them so they'd be touching 2-3 models each and rack up 15-20 hits on a terminator/command/devastator squad and wipe them out... i lose 36 points, they lose 200. :)

And two squads teleporting around with 24" assault 2 heavy bolters can't hurt, either... with 3+ armor and 5 toughness and stand up after killed...

I'd gladly trade in the C'tan, the monolith, the wraiths and the pariahs even (although they're cooool), for the white dwarf rules again.

Ghanima
08-01-04, 04:04
I've played for over 13 years. Started off with the old Rogue Trader rules and have been hooked ever since.

Eldar : 3500pts by the current standard. A good chunk of these models are from my Rogue Trader days.

Dark Eldar : 2500pts

Space Marines : 1500pts I've just started this army. I'm waiting for the Witch Hunters Codex to come out so I can rework them to fit the theme.

All of the armies listed above are painted. I have a lot more that are unpainted.

Clive tombstone
08-01-04, 06:13
Anyone play with the Tau befor? Ive never tried them, what are they like? Ive seen a Tau fire warrior with a rail gun. Whats there there combat like? Im planning on buying some.

BJB
08-01-04, 06:52
I sooo wanted to play 40k, looked freaking awsome, but Im poor irl lol and the models are like 500$ a piece :mad: ...ok well not exactly, but damn there expensive!

ZoneVortex
08-01-04, 08:04
so no one else plays the hella days army? what a crying shame ahhh nooo :mad:

jj dynomite
08-01-04, 08:50
Man....I miss playing 40k. Haven't played in a few years.

I had a painting party with my space puppies. All my friends picked one figure and did what they wanted with it. My tank now looks like a purple pimp wagon.

Fun game, but very expensive.

We should have a NC get together and play 40k. hehe

SypH
08-01-04, 15:04
Havent played it in years but I did have:

2 Space Wolves companies (without tanks though)
1 Blood Angel company
1 Ultramarine company
1 Catachan platoon (with chimera, leman russ and demolisher as backup)
1 Cadian platoon (with chimera, leman russ and 5 sentinels as back up)
1 Tallarn platoon
1 Valhallan platoon
A few Mordian units (I quit before I could complete the platoon)

I stopped playing when they brought out the new rules. I prefered the 2nd revision. I was mostly a Warhammer fantasy player anyways. Only had 3 armies for it (Lizard menBeastmen and Chaos warriors) but I spent most of my time on them. Then they castrated beastmen by taking away the extra wound so I quit completely.

08-01-04, 15:18
Originally posted by Clive tombstone
MAn, No one else is using assasins? , Anywho, My favorite, was a when I had my little squad of my Vind assasin, and a little squad of Imperial gaurds and L imp gaurd, and we had to face off against a "CAPITOL IMPERIALIS TITAN" man, its this huge mech/Castle a friend of mine said I should try and take down, well, we started the match and well, long story short, all that was left after the first five mins was the leutenant, and the V assasin. Luckly the luetanent held the beasts attention for a bit while my Vindy got his special shot ready(vindies have special bullets"one time use" kinda rule, ) for instance the shot I used is called Turbo penitrator, amd omflicts wounds on any modelm wounded( yes I managed to wound that goliath) and when I rolled a four, Down came the gaint, Least to say, that was the best match Ive ever played( outa about 7 matches total :D )

If anyone knows where I can get one of those titans, cuz they rock, please tell me?

The capitol imperialis is (was) actually a super heavy tank (technically) and not a titan (since it had tracks not legs). Its was only officially in the Epic scale 40k game and wasnt in the last 2 editions (if memory serves) but someone did make some 40k rules for a scratch built one (previous edition of 40k though IIRC)

Forgeworld do a few resin titans (imperial and chaos warhound variants) they arent cheap but there are official rules for them. You can probably still pickup the old Armourcast titans (who did a Reaver, Great Gargant, Eldar Phantom, Revenant and Towering Destroyer knight) as well as Epicast (who did 2 Ork Stompas) on Ebay or similar but you'll have to use the VDR to make rules for them (they will be underpowered against what they _should_ be and will be increadibly points heavy)

shodanjr_gr
08-01-04, 15:24
Originally posted by jj dynomite
Man....I miss playing 40k. Haven't played in a few years.

I had a painting party with my space puppies. All my friends picked one figure and did what they wanted with it. My tank now looks like a purple pimp wagon.

Fun game, but very expensive.

We should have a NC get together and play 40k. hehe

Yeah,i wish someone would make a decent W40K STRATEGY game, so we could all get together and have some funneh online.

Q`alooaith
08-01-04, 19:24
They mostly don't work well because people alway's worry about resources, somthing like Ground control, or whatever it was called.. Somthing like a Electronic version of 40K..

Omnituens
08-01-04, 19:28
go tyranids!

lichter > all

wasnt their dreadnought-like unit a (dare i say it) carniflex?

jj dynomite
08-01-04, 19:29
Originally posted by shodanjr_gr
Yeah,i wish someone would make a decent W40K STRATEGY game, so we could all get together and have some funneh online.

DUDE....a strategy 40k game would PWN.

I would play that like mad.

mmmmuuuAAAaaaahhhHHHaaaaaHHHH

OnOz

Leebzie
08-01-04, 19:44
I used to play GorkaMorka. They replaced the old space orks and gorkamorka stopped being run. I still own loads of the stuff lol.

Also get summat like ... Epic 40k Final Liberation for PC (havent got it to work on XP yet tho :() , thats good for a bit of gamin without getting all the models out.

Q`alooaith
09-01-04, 00:01
Originally posted by Omnituens
wasnt their dreadnought-like unit a (dare i say it) carniflex?

Nope, Carnifex... no L in it..

Nid's are a nasty army to fight, esp on small table's.. on nice huge 6x8 table's Tau rule the roost.

Varaem
09-01-04, 02:52
I'd rather fight 'nids on a small table than blood angels... :mad: I was playing necrons, and BA got first turn, they were all in rhinos, used super charged engines and got into close combat in the first turn. That really really really sucked. At least with 'nids, they can die to lining up troops and firing... and you can take out the big ones with heavy weapons.

On big tables... Necrons rule. They can teleport every turn... or at least a few units can.

And.. all Necron guns wound on a roll of 6 regardless, and glance vehicles on AP roll of 6 regardless, unless 6 would penetrate. Immie squad of 10 means 20 24" BS4 Str5 Ap4 shots that wipes out any vehicle or infantry squad in the game, and the can fire after deepstrike/teleport, because it's assault 2. The lord has a 12" str 5 ap3 assault 3 gun, but doesn't kill vehicles. :(

[TgR]KILLER
09-01-04, 03:18
lol understand fuck all of it.. but sounds cool :p seen come 40K boxes and all somewere in shops tho.. but err.. post pics of your army's i wanna see em ^^

ezza
09-01-04, 03:27
used to have the ultramarines, but my mate who was a ork guy kept calling my blue marines pussies:(

so started on the imperial guard but changed my mind and ended up with the dark angels who own'd

my librarian was overpowered, kinda like the neocron hybrids:D

dont play anymore, but still have 2 of my terminator squad sitting by my computer.

got the lightning claw dude and the asault cannon one, uber!!