PDA

View Full Version : Real R&D... AkA, Advanced Research and const..

Q`alooaith
06-01-04, 04:01
Ok ok, I just pinched some other people's idea's and tweaked them a lot... But I think they are improved over the other's and simply, I'd rather they get looked at with eye's than skimmed because of a long post..

Researching right now is all about click and wait, well that's rather dull.. and you need level's over the TL of the item your doing to have a good chance of getting it right first time..

Constructing, it's all about having all the part's and gluing them in place... rather dull too..

So I had this idea..

Break weapon's down into pistol's, Rifle's and cannon's... Then break them down by type, to ammo type's.. Then take out all the current BP's..

Each weapon would be made of a trigger type, pistol, rifle, or cannon so you get the weapon type,
Chamber type, which determin's it's fire type, double barrel, burst, single, ect,
Clip, which determin's what ammo it uses and relate's to damage..
And barrel, which give's range/RoF (higher range lower RoF)...

Each weapon would have one of each of the above, and the TL and req's would be bassed on each of the part's TL's and req's (each part add's a Req set, which when added with the other part's give's TL and req's)
So a pistol with a TL1 trigger, TL10 Chamber, TL6 Clip and TL3 barrel would end up at TL20, so it'd need a dex of 20, 40 PC and depending if it was a tech weapon or not 20 TC.. rather basic, but that's the general idea of how a made weapon req's would be added up..

Now researcher's would have to make BP's by researching a set of part's to make a BP for a conster.. (he work's out how to stick the part's together so the gun work's)

Researcher's now got somthing interseting to do, but conster's are still getting the short end... But wait I have an idea for them too..

ATM conster's make weapon's in batche's to get slot's so weapon's can be modded, well my first idea just removed the need for ammo mod's, and also, I now kill off slot's...
Instead I suggest conster's can add extra tweakers (techincal term) to a weapon when building it, each tweaker would lower some stat's and raise others...

So a client want's a powerfull gun, he get's a researcher to do a BP for him, he want's it to be short to mide range.. burst type, going over to a conster with the shinny new BP he decide's he want's more ooomph, so ask's the conster to add a double charge chamber (lower's RoF, increases damage) which the conster doe's, though this bolt on mean's the weapon's overall condition start's lower..

You could add a bolton for each part, so a trigger bolt on, a chamber bolt on, barrel bolt on and clip bolt on.. barrel bold on's could be flashlight's laserpointer's, silencer's ans such, chamber bolt on's could add damage lowering RoF, or rase RoF in exchange for damage, or lose a bit of both for more range.. and so on..

These idea's are to give tradskiller's somthing to do, and a real part of gameplay, as you could find a good weapon design and pump a batch out, or spend all your time custom building weapons to order, with more advanced part's and set's of bolt on's..

gostly
06-01-04, 05:05
i dont really see how it improves researching...

construction is already more exciting then researching...ive got a researcher spy...used to be constructor...main reason is slots are random, and on rares the stats are somewhat random...so it's fun to be surprised...

researching is just like you said...click and wait...and you have to overspec in research far more then you would have to in construction...i have over 180 on my researcher from imps mainly, but also with lab and a cst3 boost...and i still fail on expensive tech parts...

tech parts are the only exciting thing to do as a researcher...still dont see how your idea improved researching...it seems more focused on construction

anyways...i dont really like the ideas...mostly becuz i think constructing is fine, and your ideas would change everything in the game...weapons having slots is something people like to get from constructors...you're saying to remove that...and basically being able to mod the weapon in the process of building it...so their's no surprises...that just sounds more boring to me then what's currently in game

sorry:confused:

Q`alooaith
06-01-04, 05:25
Gostly, the idea is rather than weapon's being off the shelf, they no longer exsist like that, researcher's would have to make the BP's for each weapon... you could still get basic store bought weapon's, but they'd be basic..

The idea is, rather than you just clicking research, your actualy designing the weapon, choosing what bit's to use and then drawing up the plan's for conster's to build from. This is what it add's..

Rather than researcher's being the under aprecatated and just click, it'd make the role more important to weapon's, as you decide what the weapon uses....

Hell the idea don't have to alter the current system much, it could be plonked on top so you get speacal part's that let you make BP's of new weapon's, after the BP's made the weaponpart's needed would be calculated..

Though my idea is to make researching not somthing you just do, you first would have to take appart a weapon you want to make a BP (recycle it) and then Research what part's where used and how they where put togther so you can make BP's for conster's to follow..

Don't you get it, the conster don't get to mod the weapon the researcher pick's the hard mod's, you know the ammo type and the barrel, the RoF and fire type.. the conster, can add a few extra bolt on's, which reduced the quality of the weapon if they are added, and alter stat's, both positive and negative, the researcher get's to pick what the weapon will be as a basic, as in if it's got a long range barrel, but the conster can choose to use a sawn off barrel bolt on to reduce the range and raise RoF, but dropping quality all the while..

So while a conster can tweak the weapon, the researcher pick's the basline.

You seam rather negative, even though the idea m ostly for researcher's, why didn't you like it?

Sealdude
06-01-04, 05:39
Ahem :wink wink :) I like this idea as it would give more customization so that not every weapon would be the same. To make researching more interesting they should have to do some type of mini game and the bp should also effect how good the weapon is.

gostly
06-01-04, 05:40
i wasnt trying to be negative, sorry...i had to read it a couple times and im still somewhat confused...

it seemed more stuck on construction ideas, you hardly mentioned researching...

what about rares...out of all this plan?...are they removed too?...or do they stay as they are?

not trying to be negative...just a bit confused :confused:

Q`alooaith
06-01-04, 05:58
Ok, understand I've been up for 30 odd hour's now, and that I'm at the same time pointing out bug's and fixing on another forum..

so bleh..

Now.. Rare's would come as part's, as in, higher TL trigger's, and other part's, now you could include rare part's and normal part's togther, but you'd need to use the part you made the BP from to build it..

So it'd get rid of CS part's, and put in their place, high TL heavy weapon trigger, barrel, chamber, and clip, but you'd not have to use all of them to make a weapon, you could use some rare and some none rare to make weapon's, with the diffrent part's givving diffrent +tive's, so if you made a gun with a rare barrel it'd have better range than a non rare barrel...

Researcher's get to pick what the weapon does, weather it's a burst weapon or a another type.. they get to choose what part's of what TL's to mix and match to get weapon's for higher level player's and lower level.. the researcher's get in my idea to choose who the weapon is designed for, be it all TL1 part's, to make a TL5 weapon, or all T100 for a high leveler...

Rather than researcher's just copying a weapon for other's, your designing a weapon..

BTW, yea, that is me on the IFH forum's trying to help everyone out, bossing people and telling them to post system spec's so the troubleshooting can start..

Omnituens
07-01-04, 00:16
you could have a similar function to diablo 2's Horodric Cube recipes. you could modify existing items and sometimes they became better, sometimes worse

El Barto
07-01-04, 12:57
Sounds good, but needs a few tweeks, can't arsed to type them now, probably will 8er, I still voted yes.