PDA

View Full Version : Free 2d Morpg

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 21:29
Hi guys. A lot of you know that I started on creating a 2D MORPG a while back, with the help of graphic artist Gary Chu.

However, due to many confounding circumstances (lack of time, too much school work) and that I now wish to rewrite the game, possibly in 3D at a later date I am releasing the current version just for people to log in and so I can see how the engine I wrote this time fairs (so I know whether or not changes HAVE to be made)

Download it HERE (www.xybercon.com/phantasmsouls.zip)

I would like to say that the past few months have shown me just how tough KK really have it, and they must have been either crazy or drunk to stick out this long with NC :)

Enjoy, feedback on performance here

Mingoo

[edit]Its more like a chat program that you can equip and dequip items in... there is no combat etc so dont think you are getting a free game please.

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 21:30
DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD!

Judge
05-01-04, 21:31
Damn, you had to quit :(

Oh well.. I'm planning to make a 2D game in VB at some point... so maybe I can get some pointers from how you have done your game :)

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 21:57
OK. Thanks for the feedback. There ARE peeps online so please join us. I'd love to rid this game of little bugs.

Thanks to the people online, I am going to try to continue creation of this beast. Thanks you lot ^_^

Mingoo

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 22:13
This game has me hooked already.

Seriously fun! :D

TheDuckMan
05-01-04, 22:15
ya thats pretty cool actually. cant believe it was done in visual basic. maybe enhance the gfx alittle is my only opinion but of course you knew that :). But rly nice job... looks like NC has some competition :P

Although you need to nerf the pink girls :P

joran420
05-01-04, 22:16
DLing it now

El_MUERkO
05-01-04, 22:23
ooooOOOoooo me downloads :D

neofrag
05-01-04, 22:36
damn... i have a sword, but i cant use it.... :( :confused:

but, cool ^^

Matthew.v.smith
05-01-04, 22:39
Very sexy :)
It would be cool to help out with that its got potential.

Matty,:angel:

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 22:48
Thanks everyone :)

If you can be arsed to mod it... then just change anything you can find and mail it to me at Mingerroo@yahoo.co.uk

Those who contribute lots of useful things will have a personal item.. i.e. "Mumbly's wand of love" in the final game

Thanks for the input etc. Love you all.

Mingoo

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 22:58
Originally posted by Mingerroo
Those who contribute lots of useful things will have a personal item.. i.e. "Mumbly's wand of love" in the final game

I'm sold.

I have a secret lust for all things 2D MMO, so I'll do what I can to help. I'll try my hand at music, but writing is my forte. If you ever need any writing done, I'll jump on it like a bitch in heat.

___T-X____
05-01-04, 22:59
Ownage rated 5 *****

Great piece of software....Will be on this alot for teh Banter.

Grats Ming, great

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 23:01
TY. *bows*

This weekend I'll try to tear through the two simple bugs you found. (gloats at successful game test :)).

And will put in a new feature.... Trade.

Mingoo

P.S. Then I'll go onto combat *grins*

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 23:04
One question...

Do I have permission to try and break the game as much as possible? It's all in the name of bugtesting, but I don't want to get you offended when I try to make your software crash constantly ;)

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 23:05
YES!

I want nothing more than for people to try their best to be arseholes. So i can stop the game breaking in the final version. Thanks for bringing that up :)

Mingoo

___T-X____
05-01-04, 23:06
i'd be happy to make a token contribution toward hosting...if it needs to be on a server...be nice to have a place ppl could chat with an rpgs feel. If other ppl agree maybe the community could its hands in it pockets one more time...

Things like this are the best parts of this community.

joran420
05-01-04, 23:08
doh i cant run it at work

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 23:14
Originally posted by ___T-X____
i'd be happy to make a token contribution toward hosting...if it needs to be on a server...be nice to have a place ppl could chat with an rpgs feel. If other ppl agree maybe the community could its hands in it pockets one more time...

Things like this are the best parts of this community.

:) Thankies. atm I can run it from home all ok. If it gets too much ill upgrade to bigger broadband :D

and heres an Emote List for the game:
!zzz
!huh
!woh
!o_o
!ooh
!hmf
!grr
!omg
!wah
!eep
!phu
!yay

just put those at the beginning of a sentence

Mingoo

Max Jefferson
05-01-04, 23:15
Selling:
1 x Basic Elixer - 10 moneys
1 x Cloth shirt E - 45 moneys
1 x Wood Axe - 150 moneys, 2 arms and 1 leg

Contact me ingame by blocking me on all sides with players :)

Vid Gamer
05-01-04, 23:22
Are they any items to equip?

PS: Make a sex emote.

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 23:23
Yeah. But I have to keep bloody spawning em and you cant use most of em cos you cant level.

Mingoo

P.S. no. It ruined NCs atmosphere.

TheDuckMan
05-01-04, 23:32
Hey mingoo you have aim or aol? that would be nice way to chat with ppl that could help out. I myself could help you out with some music. My dad got a program for christmas called acis pro 4 or something like that. It's a program you can make midi files and stuff, maybe wav to, havnt checked it fully out... and it has a bunch of loops... great for what your doin here. My screen name is Zacho40... i'm on right now... also I'de like to help you get a site up if you want.

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 23:33
I have MSN.

Mingerroo@msn.com

hehe

Mingoo

[edit] and any help with a basic site would be superb (i have a domain just no time to make a site).

El_MUERkO
05-01-04, 23:36
I have a tatty shield, i pwn all!

Mingerroo
05-01-04, 23:39
hehe.

Anyone who likes this game feel free to add me to MSN.

Mingoo

evs
05-01-04, 23:44
I have a tatty shield, i pwn all!

/me wants potato shield

Judge
05-01-04, 23:52
I have added you to my MSN and I will try as much as possible to root out some bugs... hopefully I can get myself a unique item :D

Damn parents making me eat tea.... I don't need food to survive... only computer. Live of radiation :D

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 00:04
Originally posted by Judge
I have added you to my MSN and I will try as much as possible to root out some bugs... hopefully I can get myself a unique item :D

Damn parents making me eat tea.... I don't need food to survive... only computer. Live of radiation :D

hehe. ok so that was you who added me. TY.

Mingoo

Callash
06-01-04, 00:07
I think I am too stupid for this game. Is there nothing else to do than find the 3 Maps and chat with other people right now? :confused:

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 00:09
You said this was going to be turn based, yes?

And random battles?

So we're looking at Final Fantasy I-esque battles here. Good good. Because I've busted out Noteworthy Composer and have came up with a nice little "battle" tune. Going to work overnight to perfect it, but it's fast-paced, so I don't know if it'll fit in with the "relaxing" atmosphere you've got going.

Regardless, I think good battle music is one of the most important part of any RPG, and to be frank I'd be disappointed if it was all relaxing and slow during a fight of all things.

Blah, I'm babbling. Back to Noteworthy I go.

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 00:11
@Callash

WOOOOOW You looked at my game. and Yes. you can also join a team, and use emotes, and pick up items and equip em (when im there to spawn em)

@Mumbly that sounds sexeh as hell.

Mingoo

lullysing
06-01-04, 00:36
this is what happens when you go into www.xybercon.com and enter any random rubbish :
--choppen--
Warning: Access denied for user: 'mingoo@i-194-106-33-58.freedom2surf.net' (Using password: YES) in /web/sites/139/mingoo/www.xybercon.com/functions.inc.php on line 27

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: 'mingoo@i-194-106-33-58.freedom2surf.net' (Using password: YES) in /web/sites/139/mingoo/www.xybercon.com/functions.inc.php on line 27
Could not connect to database
--de-choppen--

Is it just me or the people at freedom2surf really should be more careful of the stuff they put out as error messages ?

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 00:39
I'm bored, I've got a finished 49 second track (probably the quickest midi I've ever made) and I can't think of a way to make it easily loopable.

I suck.

lullysing
06-01-04, 00:43
You should see me when i try to make any kind of semi half-baked computer graphics. I'm better off drawing then modifying than touching any kind of paint program ( i personally use the gimp )

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 00:56
Erm. My mate was messing with Databases. Thats gone in two secs. Well, I hope you all like the game so far (mail me if you don't, with a self addressed envelope if possible).

Any track is better than no track ;) so thanks for trying (mail it to meee please).

Mingoo

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 00:57
Nevermind, I'm done with it. Perfectly happy. Spent over two hours on the bugger, don't want to touch it again (unless it's for simple things like tempo/instrument volume touching up). What's your e-mail address?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm a moron.

MayhemMike
06-01-04, 01:03
haha GG Mingoo thats is teh fun =P

Ascension
06-01-04, 01:07
Servers down for maintainance?:lol:

G.0.D.
06-01-04, 01:07
was neato, just the fact alone it worked is a hats off. I know from experiance its no easy task getting your server and client working well together.

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 01:08
Yeah, can't log in now. It was a blast though, good work :D

MayhemMike
06-01-04, 01:11
i pked Centuarii

Centaurii
06-01-04, 01:15
No you didnt, you hax0r. I managed to stealthz away and come back and pop a few blacksun rounds into you. win.

On Topic> Great start to a game that could be very fun, but only if you stick to it.

TheDuckMan
06-01-04, 01:23
Originally posted by Callash
I think I am too stupid for this game. Is there nothing else to do than find the 3 Maps and chat with other people right now? :confused:

Ya your definitly not smart enough for this game. :p

actually its only in like the beta stages so there isnt much todo.

G.0.D.
06-01-04, 01:31
Took me like 20 minutes to find the thired map so concider your self mensa

Ascension
06-01-04, 01:33
Originally posted by G.0.D.
Took me like 20 minutes to find the thired map so concider your self mensa

Lol The GM had 2 show me:lol:

t0tt3
06-01-04, 01:52
Originally posted by Callash

Is this a NC event ? :D

j/k :p

But I want to find the 3 maps to :( cant login doh!

FIX IT AAAARGH :lol:

Lenard
06-01-04, 03:57
Whats wrong with the game? Are servers down? F- imo!

Rieper
06-01-04, 05:47
damn, level 3 let you down ming? cant get in :(

LaZyBoY
06-01-04, 06:00
blah cant get on O_o

Q`alooaith
06-01-04, 06:03
oh no, We borked another game...:p

Forget My Name
06-01-04, 06:17
Shit... looks like Ming is using the Neocron servers for his new game.... no wonder I can't log in :)

Benjie
06-01-04, 07:07
i downloaded it but it won't connect. :(

Lenard
06-01-04, 07:24
an online game that wont go online is a bad game imo
Therefore making this a bad game tbh~

ZoneVortex
06-01-04, 09:24
heh i DLed it too but no luck connecting

Oryx
06-01-04, 09:38
Ya same, no luck connecting.

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 10:27
That's because [I believe] the server is simply his computer. No 24/7 connection.

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 10:28
OK. My blueyonder went down last night, so I'd like to apologise to the MJS, Odin, No Gravity and the rest who were all checking out last night for my lack of hospitality.

The server is back online for people to mess around... And if it isn't online at some point thats because this is ALPHA and I am always making small adjustments.

Thats right you people, this game isnt finished yet! Thanks for the feedback, servers online so enjoy.

Mingoo

[edit] It would be a 24/7 connection if my so called 24/7 cable connection didn't just randomly stop working once a month :(

shardl0r
06-01-04, 11:39
Very impressive :)

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 11:48
One thing - if The Big J was actually trying to get on, he could pay attention to the team system. 'Tis > Neocron.

Lenard
06-01-04, 11:51
woot 65000 yen!

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 11:57
Here's hoping there's a database wipe so the likes of you lose all your filthy GM spawns :D

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 12:16
I'm at school atm so I can't check the server, but 65000 Yen? Did you do a client-side hack or what? That can't be right. I'll look into it.

And by the Big J do you mean MJS? Neocron and my game are two different kettles of fish :) So hopefully they'll buy me out to corner the market :P

Speaking of which, this is and always will be a free game so long as I am running it :)

[edit]It can't be right because you start with 50, and GMs are physically unable to spawn cash atm. So unless you just tricked your client into thinking you had that much (which would achieve nothing) there was a bug in the server which I'll have to check.

Known Bugs
If enough people log off on one square it turns into a "vanishing square"
Logging in after a ban doesn't tell your ban time, instead it says your char doesn't exist
Putting a dash in something you say cuts off your sentence
Putting a dash or dot in your name screws character creation and later chatting (eventually only alphanumerics will be allowed for character names)

If anyone can think of any others I'd appreciate it. All these will be fixed in the near future (possibly by Friday).

Mingoo

P.S. @Mods... I'll be getting my own forum set up soon so I can stop leeching off you guys :p

Jesterthegreat
06-01-04, 12:18
Originally posted by Mingerroo
Hi guys. A lot of you know that I started on creating a 2D MORPG a while back, with the help of graphic artist Gary Chu.

However, due to many confounding circumstances (lack of time, too much school work) and that I now wish to rewrite the game, possibly in 3D at a later date I am releasing the current version just for people to log in and so I can see how the engine I wrote this time fairs (so I know whether or not changes HAVE to be made)

Download it HERE (www.xybercon.com/phantasmsouls.zip)

I would like to say that the past few months have shown me just how tough KK really have it, and they must have been either crazy or drunk to stick out this long with NC :)

Enjoy, feedback on performance here

Mingoo

[edit]Its more like a chat program that you can equip and dequip items in... there is no combat etc so dont think you are getting a free game please. well i know ill be DL'ing when i get home :D

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 12:29
Nice to see bugs being addressed. The future is gold :D

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 12:44
Hehe. I try my best. Now I have an audience I can start addressing problems properly... Finding every last little obscure bug and wiping it out! :eek:

Mingoo

Original monk
06-01-04, 13:25
it looks very coowl i went peepin in the gfx maps and soundmaps etc :)

but i cant connect to youre server :(

possible cause youre server is down or otherwise cause the security here at my work is overpowerd :)

so i gonna try it at home as soon as im there :)

i cant wait

Prodigious
06-01-04, 13:38
when i try to create a character the screen goes pink and basically unusable, i can type in a name and password but thats it, and i can read some info about the char type, but the rest is just, well :wtf: pink :wtf:

is there a new version or ote out, any fixes or anything

btw im on win98 is there any compatibility probs iwth it cos it doesnt say in the known issues file

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 13:48
That's what happens when you click around the screen to bypass the "connecting to server" message.

t0tt3
06-01-04, 14:12
Ok not as bad as a FRE :D
http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/060104-MMORPG.JPG

But I cant do anything :( cant zone to an other zone... doh! GIMME MY CASH BACK!!!! Oooh its free :angel:

Nice start tho :D

El_MUERkO
06-01-04, 14:28
I would just like to point out I am the first exploiter in PS, I discovered the evil of blocking it was all ME!!!!

:cool:

How can I play windowed rather than full screen?

evs
06-01-04, 14:50
of course

feer my leet gear and emote rawr

http://www.rlevans.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/psoul.jpg

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 15:09
Sounds like the server has gone down (my mum may have switched it off cos I'm at school).

Don't worry people, I'll be home by 2pm GMT and will have it back online. When the game is finished I'll look into a more permanent arrangement... such as moving out :)

Mingoo

[edit]Windowed mode is not, and may never be, possible. Thats because the scaling and such that it would involve... along with scaling the numbers for click_checks to fit screen resolution... is too much hassle at the moment. For the time being the key motive will be new features and finishing the game in concept and then expanding that product to have more "puff".

El_MUERkO
06-01-04, 15:11
I was on 2 seconds ago, I'd stay on but I cant do anyhting when its full screen, is there a way to use it windowed then I could brouse and spam forest chat :D

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 15:13
Look above for the windowed thing... and thanks for the info, that means its not my end :)

Oh, and winXP is the only known capable operating system, I know ME hates the game, and haven't tested 98 yet. Please post 98 feedback here.

Mingoo

[edit]BTW, please call it PSouls or something like that, cos PS is planetside :p

El_MUERkO
06-01-04, 15:17
Theres 2 green arrows I though might be for minimizing but when i click the left one i get an error "Option" with an OK button and the right one does nothing.

Mumblyfish
06-01-04, 15:21
Those two buttons are more than likely for option screens which have yet to be implemented. Guh ;)

Edit: Server IS up. But empty, and very laggeh.

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 15:27
LAG! Freakin LAG! If I have to rewrite the server cos of lag issues every half hour Ima be pissed :p

OK. I'll check it out.

Mingoo

Jesterthegreat
06-01-04, 15:28
i hope the server will be up at 6pm GMT... cos ill dl and play then :D

RuButt
06-01-04, 15:48
lol, dude - i cant get out of the first zone!!

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 16:28
Zoning is fine for me which means it must be my net connection rather than the software playing up. From what I can tell, Blueyonder freaks out when I've had a fair few people connect and decides to stutter my connection until I unplug and reconnect, at which point it fails connection a couple of times before finally connecting and being fine.

I'll look into it asap.

Mingoo

RuButt
06-01-04, 16:31
dont, i just thought that u could zone everywhere... so i tested the upper, left, and lower side...

then i logged to whine on the forums..

then i had cybersex with Anna & Flash, whoever thoose guys are..

Mingerroo
06-01-04, 16:34
Oh OK. Thanks for the update. Is anyone experiencing any lag though?

Mingoo

FlashFF
06-01-04, 18:21
Cool :)

t0tt3
06-01-04, 20:20
Originally posted by RuButt
dont, i just thought that u could zone everywhere... so i tested the upper, left, and lower side...

then i logged to whine on the forums..

then i had cybersex with Anna & Flash, whoever thoose guys are..

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

o_O 8| :rolleyes:

I wanna sex someone to
*goes into NC* :D

Rieper
07-01-04, 06:18
cant get in again :(

Shujin
07-01-04, 06:20
i GM for a 2d zelda like mmo called graal online, www.graalonline.com

Lenard
07-01-04, 06:31
Thats funny cuz I was one of the people who worked on the program Graal Hackit (http://hometown.aol.com/raziel8318/private/ghackit.zip)

Small world, hajimemashite!

Shujin
07-01-04, 06:58
Originally posted by Lenard
Thats funny cuz I was one of the people who worked on the program Graal Hackit (http://hometown.aol.com/raziel8318/private/ghackit.zip)

Small world, hajimemashite! dude that was the reason graal was so fun bein a gm or a hacker was the only way to play ;D either hunt or hide ;D

my and mr hack were leaders of Hack Corps ;P
who were u in graal?
i was pretty famous about 3 years ago ;P i made alot of levels and shit

i have graal now.... unixmad = dead of graal >;|
i got a CD with graal 1.27 still i run the server every once and a while and play with bunch of old graal ppl.

btw mr hack got an offer to help graal to be ported to gameboy advance ;]

btw i was one of the main graal hackers too ;P even when i was a gm i fucked around ( there was a warp tool u could place in a zone and it warped everyone who went into that zone to another zone... well i cept sending them from like level15.graal to... level15.graal ;D so it crashed people >.< they never even knew it was me... ;D

man they hired assloads of ex hackers as gms, me and joe ( joe, god, greaseman..... bunch of names) made a hack tool too called *thinks* razorsedge? cant remember ;P

Kobra007
07-01-04, 08:51
cant try this 2d mmorpg, server down?

Wanted to see what it was.. :confused:

Mingerroo
07-01-04, 10:29
Its back online now, please use the Phantasm Souls forum from now on :)

Mingoo