PDA

View Full Version : Oh emm eff gee zed! SEYOUSLY!

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 17:02
I never realised how detailed Neocron was. I've been tinkering round with my new PC, and am seriously impressed with the graphics in Cron so far. I mean, impressed PLUS PLUS!

With vegetation up to max, trekking around the wastelands feels like a huge adventure, especially with mobs hiding in the grass. I never thought something so simple could change the way mob hunting feels, but there you go.

I also noticed the one thing missing from everywhere in the game. FLIES! After slaying a Decayed Horror, I ran up to it and noticed a swarm of flies gathering around it. Dead impressed is me! Little things like that add a whole lot of depth to the world and make it seem so much more animated. More flies please.

What little graphical touches impress you in Cron? I figured a nice thread like this would make up for all the little shits posting leaving threads as of late.

wolfwood
05-01-04, 17:05
i must agree unfortunately my pc cant support even having those on a little. I have had them on and they really do increase the mob hunting experience.

Original monk
05-01-04, 17:06
i dont have a new PC for so long now and i was so freaking impressed with the flies also LOL :)

and yeah the game has its own atmosphere involving graphics, we have to be proud on "our" game :)

Tratos
05-01-04, 17:14
i do agree, i was looking at some of Tenshu's l337 mass spawn event pics he has on his gallery site, and he must have an uber l337 PC, with the detail shown with the veg on and stuff it just looks uber, this is my fave

http://nc.k-forge.de/view_photo.php?set_albumName=CrazyBotsPluto&id=aaw

this one also looks uber,

http://nc.k-forge.de/view_photo.php?set_albumName=CrazyBotsPluto&id=aar

There from Here (http://nc.k-forge.de/albums.php)

~T

DigestiveBiscui
05-01-04, 17:14
i would begin to care...but i dont have vegitation on because it fucks your FPS good and proper

why have these little features when your game engine is so buggered anyway?

Fix the game engine > shitty flies and vegitation

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 17:16
I didn't get as much grass as that at the event, and I've got veg permanantly on max settings.

Okay GMs, own up. What's the command for uber GM-client graphics? :D

Edit:

Originally posted by DigestiveBiscui
i would begin to care...but i dont have vegitation on because it fucks your FPS good and proper

I have all my settings up to max and the game runs like a dream. Never dropped below 30fps. I think the game engine is fine.

Tratos
05-01-04, 17:16

Get a better PC, this is what Mumbly is talking about, his new PC lets him see these thngs.

~T

SorkZmok
05-01-04, 17:17
When i'm just hanging around or am out hunting, i got all details except vegetation up to the max, and turn off the fog to enjoy the sweet looks.
But when i'm out for pvp, the details go down, the fog goes up. What is, err most of my time. And THAT looks sooo ugly!

Being a poor student sucks. I gotta get this shit finished and get filthy rich fast! :D

GT_Rince
05-01-04, 17:17
You want more flies, go hang around the ass end of a Drom...

:D

DigestiveBiscui
05-01-04, 17:18
i dont need to get a better fucking PC that runs UT2003 fine, CS fine, CoD FINE and everything else i throw at it fine

Game engine needs a fucking fix, and its about time people did it imo

read the box ffs - 8mb GFX minimum 400 mhx processor minimum - yea, right....good luck with that seeing as most people get shit fps as it is

DigestiveBiscui
05-01-04, 17:20
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
I think the game engine is fine.

you think its fine because YOU now get good FPS, because you brought a new GFX card.

Look at all the people with constantley low FPS, why should people buy a new GFX card/processor when every other game runs fine

Dribble Joy
I know, with the settings to the max, the game actually looks pretty sweet.

I took this while bimbling about in the lowers sectors of mb the other day.

http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/050104-shot0215.jpg

http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/050104-shot0216.jpg

I don't even have the lighting set very high.

Tratos
i dont need to get a better fucking PC that runs UT2003 fine, CS fine, CoD FINE and everything else i throw at it fine

read the box ffs - 8mb GFX minimum 400 mhx processor minimum - yea, right....good luck with that seeing as most people get shit fps as it is

Such nice people around here aint there.

~T

DigestiveBiscui
05-01-04, 17:22
the graphics look all pretty there, when your alone with detail on max - problem is im sure a LOT of people would like it when they are in an op war or something, instead of smacking off veg and putting fog on

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 17:25
you think its fine because YOU now get good FPS, because you brought a new GFX card.

Look at all the people with constantley low FPS, why should people buy a new GFX card/processor when every other game runs fine

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49372

That's my gfx card. Set me back less than 90 quid to get it shipped to me within 2 days (I'm impatient). My PC isn't anywhere near top of the line. I figured most other people would have good FPS too considering my PC is "middle of the road".

DigestiveBiscui
05-01-04, 17:28
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86391 - look at that and see the average fps :rolleyes:

shodanjr_gr
05-01-04, 17:32
Originally posted by Tratos
Get a better PC, this is what Mumbly is talking about, his new PC lets him see these thngs.

~T

The gfx engine IS fubar.
There is no logic in getting a state-of-the-art PC in order to play a
game that delivers quake 2 like graphics.

Elric
05-01-04, 17:37
Such nice people around here aint there.

~T

You have to admit, he's got a very very very good point.

My computer runs everything currently out on either Top end quality or 1 notch under it at a minimum of 30 - 60 fps (and normally with more action on screen at one time than NC has, with a further draw distance and better graphics and more particle effects and better dynamic lighting effects... and.. and... Im sure you see my point).

Yet NC runs like constipation (13 fps in plaza 1, usually around 15 - 30 people in the zone total, probably only about 10 - 15 ever on screen at once). its just not right I tell ya.
Fair enuf that Mr. Biscuit is quite harsh about it, but he'd still dead right.

kurai
05-01-04, 17:44
It's an ooooooold DX7 based engine and is also fairly heavily CPU bound.

(i.e. Your FPS is limited by raw CPU speed long before it will tax even a moderate GFX card)

-FN-
05-01-04, 17:48
I also noticed the one thing missing from everywhere in the game. FLIES! After slaying a Decayed Horror, I ran up to it and noticed a swarm of flies gathering around it. Dead impressed is me! Little things like that add a whole lot of depth to the world and make it seem so much more animated. More flies please.

Actually, I swear that was added in a patch. I didn't notice them until about a month ago when killing Sandworms with Shadow Dancer. We walked up to one and there they were, flies all around. I've been killing Sandworms since 11/02 with the same system and settings and had never seen flies until a year later 8|

But details, shmetails. There are still no toilets. I find it very disgusting that we all must be walking around with colostomy bags.

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 17:51
Originally posted by -FN-
But details, shmetails. There are still no toilets. I find it very disgusting that we all must be walking around with colostomy bags.

Just wait until our avatars hit old age. Then the younger runners have to replace them for us. Muahahahaha...

[old man voice]
"I DESERVE FREE MONEY!"
[/old man voice]

Tratos
05-01-04, 17:51
lol ask INFOBOT in plaza 3 about toilets, he simply says, nothing of that nature found, but please remember that urinating in public is an offence and this crime may be punished harshly, lol

and i know that the engine is shit, i get really bad fps, and i used to play it on an under reccomeded system, i got like 5-7 FPS at the best of times just from firing a gun...o_O

its alot better since i got my system updated, but i still cant tollerate the grass and stuff one.

~T

Jesterthegreat
05-01-04, 17:56
What little graphical touches impress you in Cron? I figured a nice thread like this would make up for all the little shits posting leaving threads as of late.

O_o

there are a few graphical effects that really are great... however that isnt always enough to keep people ingame :p

i am at work and have no screenies... but an op war with full graphics is amazing(ly slow). its unplayable... but you can get some great screenies :lol:

i will always remember running through PP3 - plaza 1 with the gamma turned right down on the best graphics... PP looks amazing in the dark, plaza looks pretty good too.

its a shame the player modles just dont live up to the mob / landscape models really.

]v[ortice
05-01-04, 18:17
@Jester... U've left bugger off :P

If you like looking at the pretty things in Neocron... go take a close look at something like a Terror Leaper or most of the firemobs in general with the details all on Max. These monkeys have individual Poly's for teeth. You could put you hand in their mouths if u dared.

I play with all of my details on max. Get about 30-40 fps and i only have a Geforce 2 Pro. Although I admit that my gaming experience would be a lot better with an AGP 8x card, unless we're talking an OP fight of server wide proportions i don;t have too much trouble.

Zanathos
05-01-04, 18:32
Ive got a pretty damn good computer myself.

It can play Unreal Tournament 2003 very well with details set sky high to the point that the anouncer sais HOLY SHIT! and have a stable average of 60 FPS.

I can play Call of Duty with the details set sky high and have the body count set to insane. I get a stable FPS of average 60, except on the first russian mission..... That level IS insane! Sooo many people....

I can play Americas Army just fine, although it sais my FPS is at the lowest 10 to the highest 50. I never notice the game slow down in frame rate. So its gotta be lieing or something. This is with the details ultra high.

I can play Unreal II to a certain extent with the details set all the way up. But I must turn it down for some missions/situatuions as its too laggy FPS wise.

I can play Unreal II XMP okay, although my resolution is set to 800 by 600 and the details are set to ultra low. Its the only way I can have a stable FPS most of the time.

The unreal II game and XMP are the only games to tax out my computer and make me reduce the game details to maintain a stable FPS.

Why must I do that in Neocron? We all know that it is FAR less advanced than the games stated above, yet it gives us shitty FPS?

With vegetation details set all the way up, just LOOKING across the zone gives me a frame rate of 4 to 6. Without vegetation, its like 15 to 25.

Everything else in Neocron is turned up, and for OP wars, I HAVE to turn everything down just so I can actually fight.

The Neocron engine is borked, it needs to be cleaned up in coding efficiency. Hell, even new engines would be great.

With the comming of BDoY, the game of Neocron will be getting a face lift graphics wise, but guess what? Few will truly be able to enjoy such things.

Tratos
05-01-04, 18:34
Isnt there a way KK can make neocron less CPU dependant?

~T

Zanathos
05-01-04, 18:37
Improve the coding efficiency of the game with the current engines.....

That or use better engines.

Ascension
05-01-04, 18:46
Hmm.. maybe things may change at NC: DOY?

maybe not..

Lets wait until 'The official List' is released;)

Zanathos
05-01-04, 18:51
Yes... the official list.....

To be released this month.....

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 18:55
lol ask INFOBOT in plaza 3 about toilets, he simply says, nothing of that nature found, but please remember that urinating in public is an offence and this crime may be punished harshly, lol

Yay! I finally talked to INFOBOT today. Never laughed so hard since my first meeting with the Sewer King :D

Beanie McChimp
05-01-04, 20:16

Well this may come as a shock but minimum specs are the specs you need to actually play the game theres a difference to being able to play and being able to play well I should know with my old pc I managed 20 fps tops and 3 most of the time but now the pc I have now runs fine I get great fps with everything on full.

BTW up your gamma to 1.36 to see in the dark lol works great.

Necrosadistic
05-01-04, 20:41
Ive got a high end comp, and I almost never get any lag unless I turn vegetation on, while running it at the highest possible resolution... Then it becomes fucking awful, there is something about the way teh vegetation is done that realy slows the game down...

J. Folsom
05-01-04, 20:58
The vegetation really makes a huge difference in the atmosphere, I have it on all the time, despite the fact that when I enter some vegetation heavy areas (The Swamps and Steppes, strangely enough not the grasslands), it'll usually drop me to like 1-2 FPS, it just looks way too cool not to enable.

Originally posted by -FN-
Actually, I swear that was added in a patch. I didn't notice them until about a month ago when killing Sandworms with Shadow Dancer. We walked up to one and there they were, flies all around. I've been killing Sandworms since 11/02 with the same system and settings and had never seen flies until a year laterAs far as I know that's been in since at least June 2003, it's very noticable when you loot them.

g0rt
05-01-04, 21:00
Originally posted by J. Folsom
The vegetation really makes a huge difference in the atmosphere, I have it on all the time, despite the fact that when I enter some vegetation heavy areas (The Swamps and Steppes, strangely enough not the grasslands), it'll usually drop me to like 1-2 FPS, it just looks way too cool not to enable.

Its been over a year since ive seen the vegetation in neocron :p

But then again....FPS > * for me nuff said

deac
05-01-04, 21:02
the neocron game engine is pure shit end of story...

you need a good processor and a mid lvl gfx card thats all... no need for a top of the line gfx card...

and omg the neocron game engine is just soo blocky that it feels like playing tetris all over ........

Zanathos
05-01-04, 21:29
Vegetation really does add quite a bit to the game, unfortunatly, to have it on, means your making it harder to PvP as others can easily turn such a feature off (Assuming you didnt get such a shitty FPS with vegetation on)

Good for hunting mobs though.

I remember having vegetation on during beta 4... WHATS HAPPENED SINCE THEN!

I still remember a time in beta 4 where i went to the vehicle depot at jeriko, a bunch of guys in a tank were killin people at random :lol:

MjukisDjur
05-01-04, 21:53
and with the music on, ahhh....

Zanathos
05-01-04, 22:01
:lol:

I turned off my music so I could hear my clanmates over team speak :) It hasnt been back on for awile.

I feel like turning on vegetation, music, and go hunting at gab mine now :p

Keiron
05-01-04, 23:55
Whenever I go driving, I always turn on Vegetation (besides that I have everything else maxed out that makes NC purdy). Flying thru the grass with a Rhino killing mobs is mucho impressive. 100% pointless, but mucho impressive none the less.