What is this game like?

Legoias
04-01-04, 19:44
poo.

Beanie McChimp
04-01-04, 19:45
Please elaborate on the comment "poo"

04-01-04, 19:50
Good for PvM fans, shit for PvP fans cause there is no PvP.

Legoias
04-01-04, 19:50
I stand by my previous comment.

Beanie McChimp
04-01-04, 19:55
Wtf no pvp what a shit game.

Legoias
04-01-04, 19:59
Originally posted by Beanie McChimp
Wtf no pvp what a shit game.

Not for those playing it. You cant judge anything by what you hear people say. If that was the case a lot of people would never have started playing neocron. Go look at their forums and webby.

Bl1nd
04-01-04, 20:12
i beta tested the game horizons and i have one word for u GHEY

the combat system is really bad is a game mainly focused in trading skills but it have some good stuff

but no pvp? sux......... PvM is one of the worst i have seen

and mobs drop formulas they dont drop weapons or armors NO they drop formulas so u gotta go to a blacksmith to make the weapon from the formula is really gay is all based in trading

Bl1nd
04-01-04, 20:14
the only good thing are the uber graphics and they run ok without a uber computer

not like neocron crappy graphics and u need a fx 5900 to run at 25 fps

MegaCorp
04-01-04, 20:35
I tried it for about 4 weeks, then cancelled. Not because it only has pvm, but because it is rather a weak offering, and has only marginal content. If you like crafting, you may enjoy Horizons quite a bit because it seems to have an interesting and robust crafting system. Combat was like Ascherons Call 2 with elements of Final Fantasy. You could work your way up multiple character classes / jobs ala Final Fantasy. Bits and pieces of both but not very satisfying ... if you like this kind of game go try AC2 or FF instead.

Edit: some negative aspects: mobs drop crafting supplies not useable equipment, no xp bonuses for grouping so it is better to solo if you are able to, very few quests other than the "go kill 10 zombies" kind so not much to break up the monotony of repetitive leveling.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Spook

Beanie McChimp
04-01-04, 20:43
Originally posted by Legoias
Not for those playing it. You cant judge anything by what you hear people say. If that was the case a lot of people would never have started playing neocron. Go look at their forums and webby.

I looked at their website no info plus I trust what you guys say as you were right about planetside and how boring it is.

craio
04-01-04, 21:14
Originally posted by MegaCorp
some negative aspects: mobs drop crafting supplies not useable equipment, no xp bonuses for grouping so it is better to solo if you are able to, very few quests other than the "go kill 10 zombies" kind so not much to break up the monotony of repetitive leveling.

Read the following on their IGN Vault site (http://horizonsvault.ign.com/) :
-drops are gonna change apperently they are working on it because the demand from the community
-There are so called empire quest or such in which the whole server nees to accomplish something (now its building a bridge to connect two big islands).
There must be other mission types to,if ya check the forum theres an section specifacally for mission/quest and that wouldnt be there if there were only kill this /gather that missions.
-No pvp ,but there are plans to add it in the future
-About the group xp: you get less xp when hunting in teams,but then you can handle stronger mobs and thus gain more xp...right?

MegaCorp
04-01-04, 22:17
Craio ... thanks for that update.

-drops are gonna change apperently they are working on it because the demand from the community
That is very good news. It will provide extra motivation for doing basic leveling.

There must be other mission types to, if ya check the forum theres an section specifacally for mission/quest and that wouldnt be there if there were only kill this /gather that missions.
Yep, there are, just not very many, which is part of what I meant by "marginal content". So i decided i was not prepared to pay them month after month waiting for them to gradually add enough to make things worthwhile. The same thing was true for Earth & Beyond ... you could finish nearly all of the available quest stuff (that existed in the entire game) in just a week or two and were then left with just normal leveling. Me, i like doing both (questing and leveling), and when i run out of quests the game loses a meaningful part of its enjoyment factor ... especially if there is no pvp; a good pvp system can keep me playing even when quests are all used up and leveling becomes a total bore.

My take on it is that Horizons, as did E&B, released an initial product containing playing areas, mobs, goods, crafting, skills and basic combat, but only a starter foundation of quests. Well, certainly Horizons will steadilly enhance their quest offerings over time, just like E&B has been doing. But for me, that does not sustain my interest *now*, not when coupled with the other factors that caused me to leave.

On the other hand, I hear that FF has tons of quests at all levels, that they are fun and involving (for the most part) and span all of the levels ... and are often integral to advancement ... so that may be what i shift over to (besides sticking with Neocron).

-No pvp ,but there are plans to add it in the future
Excellent. That will help to expand the player base.

-About the group xp: you get less xp when hunting in teams,but then you can handle stronger mobs and thus gain more xp...right?
Nope. There is an odd cap on xp when grouped. If mobs get too much higher than your level you top out on xp. For my main character, for example, the most xp i get per mob when grouped is around 500, no matter how high its level, whereas solo i can productively get 1000-1500 per kill and do the kills just as fast and get it with less risk than being in a group. The end result is i soloed for leveling and grouped for the fun factor of being with others. Its a trade off, but not one i was particularly happy with. There *are* some classes that just dont solo well, so they benefit from grouping big time inspite of the cap. Now obviously this can be "fixed". Just as more quests can be added, and loot drops can be modified to be more satisfying.

But all in all, to me it comes across as an unfinished product. And i dont think i want to throw money, month after month, at yet another unfinished product. Six months from now i may take another look at Horizons and decide to resubscribe. Truth to tell, i had the same problem with Ascheron's Call 2. I got AC2 when it first shipped, played for a month or so, then quit for similar reasons. Half a year later i concluded it had become content rich and that my other issues had been addressed, so i resubscribed, resumed play with my original character with all his skills and gear intact, and played for many months and had lots of fun.

Spook

Beanie McChimp
04-01-04, 23:51
If there was pvp I would give it a go.