PDA

View Full Version : Make driving give dex XP

Keiron
04-01-04, 04:22
I think driving should give dex XP, just like all the other trade skills. So people can't exploit it, KK would need to make vehicles require fuel (they were planning to anyway, they would just have to hurry it up a little). It should not give tons of xp, but should be somewhat useful. Anywho, that's my idea.

Tratos
04-01-04, 04:30
Originally posted by Keiron
I think driving should give dex XP, just like all the other trade skills. So people can't exploit it, KK would need to make vehicles require fuel (they were planning to anyway, they would just have to hurry it up a little). It should not give tons of xp, but should be somewhat useful. Anywho, that's my idea.

i like it, i always thought it should

~T

Zanathos
04-01-04, 04:43
I wanna customize my vehicles!

Psycho Killa
04-01-04, 04:46
Or possibly give them a small percentage of xp gained by the gunner since its damn near impossible to share xp with them now. Since a driver probably isnt exactly high ranked and all the decent weapons give u 2 or 3 star rankings.

t0tt3
04-01-04, 05:24
http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/r/rofl.gif love it 5 stars =) But it should be pretty small exp or so..... but still you should gain some exp for driveing.. like tanks skill for int O_o

Keyol45743241
04-01-04, 05:34
Give the driver the same combatrank the gunner has. We did vast hours of PKing with our Rhino on Jupiter and the poor driver didn't get the least gain out of the whole thing. Yes, repairing the tank gives *some* dex exp at least, but still....

Thing is, you have to prevent exploiting, there was a time once when you gained con for running. Thin was, people put something heavy on the forward key and kept capping con overnight. If driving gives exp for the sole act of driving, the same will happen.

So, the combat vehicles are ok, you gain exp by using the gun yourself, so... no need for exp. Nor do you need to gain exp for driving a hoverbike, in example, the gain (you're quick as hell etc.) compensates for the cost greatly. The only thing are the vehicles which are driven and gunned by seperate people. Hours of PKing and the ocassional warbot hordes fly by the poor driver who hasn't even the slightest motivation to help you out. My gunner is a RL friend of mine, so we're still having fun.. but why the hell would one do that on the free market? Without the least bit of exp gain? :wtf:

Besides, vehicles should be rated differently, according to their usefulness.

Chainbike - Yeah, whatever... everybody can drive one and that is ok that way
Speedbike - Well.. a little quicker than the chain, but still not a major gain... can reasonably stay at that required skill
Hoverbike - way underrated! Its EXTREMELY usefull and able to be picked up as a side skill (25) by almost everyone without a second thought.. should be way more expensive. I'd consider 50 'Ok'.
Red Buggy - well.. transportation for you and someone else. Unarmed, slow and dies rather messily if it crosses a Rhino tank on a bad day. Can stay IMHO
Chaincraft 4x4 - If they remove the ability to point&nuke the driver or gunner out of the seat without actually scratching the armor, it's underrated, 62 would be 'ok', if not much more, depending on how quickly that piercing damage eats through a ppu
Rhino - way underrated, at the current time a trader mule can reasonably easy pick that skill up (and even repair the goddamn thing, to boot) which forms a highly efficient combat unit. Give the Rhino a secondary area effect gun, make the main gun crumble PPU defenses after a hit or two (like deshelter) and raise the requirements to VHC 120+. Thus only a really dedicated driver can efficiently use that thing, not a Monkeh with some dex points to spare (for example, he doesn't neet to recycle as his clan owns a mine or is rich beyond good manners). Besides, there is still the Chaincraft left for them if they positively have to drive a combat vehicle :rolleyes:I won't say anything about the new vehicles, they're quite useless as long as an APU can nuke the driver off in the blink of an eye and the secondary gunner is incapable of shooting straight ahead because they hit their driver then..... so... fix them, then make reasonable requirements for them, too.

Keiron
04-01-04, 05:46
Originally posted by Keyol45743241
Thing is, you have to prevent exploiting, there was a time once when you gained con for running. Thin was, people put something heavy on the forward key and kept capping con overnight. If driving gives exp for the sole act of driving, the same will happen.
That's why I wanted to make vehicles require fuel. Would make it hard to exploit when it costs them money.

Psycho Killa
04-01-04, 05:50
I find the heavy combat trike quite useful actualy.

Keyol45743241
04-01-04, 05:52
Welllllll... how should I put it.... can't be tooo expensive, can it? :rolleyes: Apart from the fact that some wankers have exploited billions with scripts which autoconstruct vehicles for you which you can sell then at quite a price. And thus soil the whole economic system, heck, I got 30 millions on jupiter for a used mediocre 1 slot CS..... and those people are supposed to play on pluto.. and the first thing I heard about them is, that they bidded 10 millions for an item there :rolleyes:

Yes.. KK, fix the exploits and bann the exploiters. But KK seems quite slow in removing paying customers :(

The heavy combat trike? Err... excuse me.. we're talking PvP, not PvM. :rolleyes::p

Psycho Killa
04-01-04, 06:01
Uh actualy where talking about xp and bike usefulness nowhere did you say we where just talking about pvp.

PvP it actualy is useful it does nice damage at a quick pace and i find it can level a hovertech in seconds.

I think people should be able to hit me when im in it (I havent done test but it definately seems like it absorbs some of the damage u take.) The only problem ive found with it is its very slow rotating so if someone gets close enough to you and goes behind you its almost impossible to target them as they can run around the vehicle 10 times faster then you can turn it. The only option I have is to drive off and attempt to turn around and fire which is troublesome in itself. Which is why my hcdrive pe is also melee so if they get to close to the vehicle I can just jump out :D

Keyol45743241
04-01-04, 06:16
Err.. when talking minimum requirements to use something, you do have to take the PvP value into account. That was all I did. Besides, considering the PvM value, the Rhino beats the crap out of everything else. Incredible damage at sniper ranges (out of range of the mobs) and enough armor to withstand huge amout of hits from almost everything (just don't try Y's or MC5, they're beyond reasonable considering vehicles :D)

El Barto
04-01-04, 06:22
I love the idea, you should also get different amounts of exp depending on what yo are driving, also the fuel thing you said will stop explioters.

Keyol45743241
04-01-04, 07:48
Originally posted by El Barto
I love the idea, you should also get different amounts of exp depending on what yo are driving, also the fuel thing you said will stop explioters. :lol: Lemme guess, you also believe that the PPU is ballanced, right? How about you reread the posts in this thread? :rolleyes: Fuel can't cost insane amounts, you carry it in your inventory... what prevents you sitting on a hoverbike and overloading yourself with fuel out of the gogu? And NO, money isn't going to be a limiting factor - Fuel is used mainly for driving, you CAN'T make it too expensive as to be a limit to anything :rolleyes:

Mr_Snow
04-01-04, 07:50
Would it not be better to try resurrect bartering and make that give int xp?

Driving isnt a tradeskill just as hacking isnt, they are both usefull skills but shouldnt give xp for using them.

Sanch0s
04-01-04, 07:53
Make a vcl boost 3 that is castable by a ppu!!!

Well a set of 1,2 and 3, why not add them????
Make them shop bought like a psi boost or any other boost eg rifle boost.

Ive wished many a time that they were in the game!

Birkoff
04-01-04, 08:25
Add a distance traveled stat as well, so people cant load up on fuel and drive into a wall while they sleep :)

I thought it didat first but haven't thought about it since. Haven't used a vehicle on my main character in ages :)

Keyol45743241
04-01-04, 08:30
Yeh, more power to the ppus, less need for them to actually "spend" some skillpoints if they want to drive.... :rolleyes:

Maybe, yes, your idea wouldn't be so bad, if you couldn't buff yourself with the lvl 2 & 3 buffs. But then, NC has enough problems with zoning, vehicles and minimum requirements already, it would only cause lots of hassle. If you don't believe, take a mid lvl tank who can only gun your rhino when using STR drugs... let the drugs run out and zone :D That's a ultimated enhanced enhanced enhanced enhanced holy runtime error :p

Now imagine that happening with the driver since his spell has run out.. not a pretty thought, especially not when doing PvP. A Drug, yeah, no problem, you just eat a new one right before you zone. But you can't cast a spell while sitting in the vehicle. So... that will be the ultimate reason why there won't be any vhc buffs anytime soon. Sorry.

.Cyl0n
04-01-04, 08:43
good idea but as said .. too easy exploitable ^^

.cy

/€ sex

ServeX
04-01-04, 08:48
Originally posted by .Cyl0n
good idea but as said .. too easy exploitable ^^

.cy

what he said.

MindMaze
04-01-04, 08:53
w00t, everybody follow the 'l0n :p

Psycho Killa
04-01-04, 08:55
Well then whats wrong with increasing the drivers rank so he can get some xp off the gun.

Though there would have to be some way to stop total noob chars from abusing it.

Archeus
04-01-04, 09:30
Originally posted by Keiron
That's why I wanted to make vehicles require fuel. Would make it hard to exploit when it costs them money.

I'd only agree to fuel if there was an option to return all crafts to the garage from anywhere without having to wait.

I wouldn't mind dex while driving. Doesn't even have to be a lot. But not for easy crafts and only for the driver.

Yeh, more power to the ppus, less need for them to actually "spend" some skillpoints if they want to drive...

And put where exactly? I have 62 VHC and I can't drive most of the crafts (I have all of them except one). When the Gliders come in I won't be able to drive that either, so a VHC spell or Drivers glove I wouldn't mind to be able to use the higher level stuff.

msdong
04-01-04, 12:00
Originally posted by Keyol45743241
...Thing is, you have to prevent exploiting, there was a time once when you gained con for running. Thin was, people put something heavy on the forward key and kept capping con overnight. If driving gives exp for the sole act of driving, the same will happen.

well like the starter say-you need fuel for driving.
OK, i know - simply put 100 stacks of fuel in the inventory and drive somewhere in a dark corner of the wastes and hit forward all the night. well but thats for rich PPL :) btw, you can simply make this fuel have to USE to put in the tank and you get rid of the night drivers .

to those ppl say that Fuel ruin VHC again i can say - NOBODY but the fans use VHC atm, maybe some noobs with low agililiy.
we need to make running use more stamina - it sucks big when someone only need to take a stamina booser and stay close to you car. more skill need to make more speed - like on agility.

Keyol45743241
04-01-04, 18:15
Though there would have to be some way to stop total noob chars from abusing it.Higher skills required? More Int for the Rhino (I've had my tankeh drive his own rhino with a little creative imping - and one could consider drugs, too).

And THE RICH PEOPLE will always be there, be it exploit or mind numbing construction of vehicles. And most of all
Fuel is used mainly for driving, you CAN'T make it too expensive as to be a limit to anything :rolleyes:

Somtimes I realy wonder how some people participate in such threads.... do you completely ignore arguments that go against your opinion?

darkservent
04-01-04, 22:21
Theres no questions on this but they will HAVE to put XP gain on Drivin VHCs cause of the mad requirements needed to drive the Scouts when they are released.

Archeus
04-01-04, 22:23
Found a solution.. get Repair skill and repair all your cars instead.

msdong
04-01-04, 22:41
Originally posted by Archeus
Found a solution.. get Repair skill and repair all your cars instead.

you get more XP from buying the Nanites them from repair the VHC.

EDIT:you even get more XP by recyclin the ammo for you VHC Gun :)