PDA

View Full Version : Quit to desktop upon booting neocron

Flea
03-01-04, 00:45
As soon as i startup neocron, Just before It gets to the login screen, my game fatals. I haven't had problems in the past, but this just started happening 3 days ago. I tried reinstalling and found I had a bunch of corrupted files, and I downloaded the broken files and managed to get ingame for about 3 minutes. I had to relog and I fataled at startup, and this happens every time now. Its really really pissing me off. Anyone else had this problem? :mad:

Im running windows xp home edition and I have 1.3ghz processer with 224 mb of ram. I have had absolutly no problems running NC in the past (besides the occasional fatals)

shodanjr_gr
03-01-04, 00:48
Do the usual:
Check for spyware.
Defrag ur harddrive
Scandisk ur harddrive
Update Windows
Update GFX drivers
Reinstall
Format
Quit
/set kill_self 1

Flea
03-01-04, 00:50
Just checked for spyware, im clean.

Defrag? Hrm, havent done that in a few months.

Format? erm, I cant be fucked to do that.

KK *goes to defrag and scandisk*

shodanjr_gr
03-01-04, 00:51
Also update ur virus scanner and check for viri

Syntax-Error
03-01-04, 01:31
you will find its down to some poor software that fucks up your PC. look for a very deadly virus type program thats called "Neocron"

ElfinLord
03-01-04, 01:49
When you say your game 'fatals' are getting actual FRE's or does the game just not launch and return to the desktop?

I ask this because my roommate had a similar problem and he found that DirectX was all f'ed up.

He reinstalled DirectX 8, DirectX 9 and nothing worked. He was using WinME. He ended up formatting and reinstalling. Now he has no problems.

Run dxdiag and see what it says. Beyond that, good luck! :D :p

Flea
03-01-04, 02:15
Well, before i reinstalled NC it was FATALING, but now it is just quitting to desktop.... sigh i dont WANT to reformat.

shodanjr_gr
03-01-04, 02:19
Originally posted by Flea
Well, before i reinstalled NC it was FATALING, but now it is just quitting to desktop.... sigh i dont WANT to reformat.

Its not that hard. When i reformatted my PC, it took me about 1 and 1/2 hour max. Thats including reinstalling any software i had installed and restoring backups.

But what i am doing is that i got a small C: partition (5 gigs large) where windows and progs go. All games and documents are on D: (11gigs) so when i format i just need to make new shortcuts, so no need reinstalling games :)

Archeus
03-01-04, 02:34
Im running windows xp home edition and I have 1.3ghz processer with 224 mb of ram. I have had absolutly no problems running NC in the past (besides the occasional fatals)

Did you mess with the performance settings on your machine?

I had the exact same problem. should be error logs in NC directory talking about DirectX Failing.

Right Click my computer and select properties. Click the Advanced Tab then 'Performance' button. Click Advanced and check that Memory Usage is set to 'Programs' and not System cache.

Flea
03-01-04, 02:36
yeah its set on programs... Lets see... I really can't think of anything I changed on that day when It started happening... Think ill check out the logs now..

edit: it says this in my error1.log: File Check: file 'terrain\terraingfx.dat' is corrupt, missing, or has been modified. (not critical)
File Check complete: 710 files checked
Exception created MAINMENUPROXY : MAINMENU Init Failed (maybe terminal.dll not found or outdated)
Error: MAINMENUPROXY : MAINMENU Init Failed (maybe terminal.dll not found or outdated)

terminal.dll??? what is that? could that be my problem?

DigestiveBiscui
03-01-04, 02:42
happend to me once, but it was a problem with something i installed to do with my ISP.

I dont think u get freeserve as an ISP in the US do you??? meh anyway, if by some stupid, magical reason you have it, turn off the shitty freeserve connection kit

probably doesnt help at all because u dont have that ISP, but another US ISP might of released something like that. Go by my rule : If you dont need it running, dont run it ;)

Flea
03-01-04, 02:43
Yeah, saw people talking about freeserve, I dont have it =/ Man this really blows, wish helpdesk was faster, I NEED MY NEOCRACK :(

Archeus
03-01-04, 02:44
Another thing you can try is..

http://www.tune-up.com/

Can't guarantee it will fix it but did fix a lot of problems for me on my slower machines (memory / speed and internet connection).

Flea
03-01-04, 02:49
yeah its set on programs... Lets see... I really can't think of anything I changed on that day when It started happening... Think ill check out the logs now..

edit: it says this in my error1.log: File Check: file 'terrain\terraingfx.dat' is corrupt, missing, or has been modified. (not critical)
File Check complete: 710 files checked
Exception created MAINMENUPROXY : MAINMENU Init Failed (maybe terminal.dll not found or outdated)
Error: MAINMENUPROXY : MAINMENU Init Failed (maybe terminal.dll not found or outdated)

terminal.dll??? what is that? could that be my problem?

what about this? It says terminal.dll could be missing or corrupt... what should I do about this ??

Archeus
03-01-04, 02:53
Did you do a check files on NC?

Here is the information I have on my file..

C:\Program Files\Neocron\Gamelibs\Terminal.dll
Size: 368,701 Bytes
No version info.

Btw missing file problem (at least in XPHome) isn't always the programs fault. I've found that if I leave my machine running for a long time in NC the machine finally keels over and dies. It normally complains that files are phyisically missing from the machine when they aren't.

Flea
03-01-04, 02:55
did file check, about a dozen .bsp's were corrupt, but it said nothing about the terminal one... sigh..

Archeus
03-01-04, 02:57
Is the file there? Does the filesize match?

Flea
03-01-04, 03:03
Its only 360 kb! o_O how do i get a new one? this ones fubar

Archeus
03-01-04, 03:09
The file is 360KB. You need the byte size to match (number in brackets).

Flea
03-01-04, 03:10
It's the EXACT same bytes as yours, ffs whats going on :( :( :(

were taking this to PM's..

Flea
03-01-04, 04:52
Ok, I know It's something with my computer now. It works fine on my shitty computer, and i even directly copied that folder of neocron to this computer and it still quits out at desktop. I am ready for any and all suggestions PLEASE, PLEASE someone help me out.

REMUS
03-01-04, 05:06
ive got exactly the same problem as you flea :( if you come up with a solution please pm me.

DigestiveBiscui-how do i turn off that freeserve dial up thing ive got it on my pc.

DigestiveBiscui
03-01-04, 10:19
If you have it to boot on straup then go to start > run and type msconfig

then hit the startup tab and untick the freeserve connection kit

wallah, the fucker will never annoy you again and i was able to play nc again, when before all it did was start to load, then fatal :(

i would also try that flea, see if there is anything on startup that might not be wanted

Skinfitz
03-01-04, 11:25
...also dont skip the obvious - do you have enough free disk space?

Archeus
03-01-04, 12:39
Did you get sorted out Flea? :)

Flea
03-01-04, 20:55
LOL

LOL

LOL

ROFL

Problem was I had it set in compatabilty mode for WINDOWS 95!!!! LOL omg! that is HELARIOUS :) want to give special thanks to Archeus for helping me out