PDA

View Full Version : Melee Tank Question

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 18:53
I have a couple of tanks on Saturn now. One is going to be pure Melee...

1) Is Melee any good for PvP? I can use the DG yet so no idea what dmg that does. Been told 'no' by some, and its 'not bad' by others.

2) Do I need any Weponlore? I would like to be able to hack Warbots if possible.

TIA

Rince

Serpent
02-01-04, 18:54
1.) with thunderbolt and DG u are very good, u can kill everyone without ppu and hybrid

2.) u need no weaponlore

Shadow Dancer
02-01-04, 18:56
I've been hit by melee tanks, and I think they do good damage.

That's when they actually hit me though. :p

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 19:02
Excellent :)

Never thought about the Melee shockers :D And if I need no Weponlore either, then I am happy :D

Thanks guys :)

Possessed
02-01-04, 19:05
you nutter rince... :P

<3 :X

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 19:06
Originally posted by Possessed
you nutter rince... :P

<3 :X

:D

Well, as I have 2 accounts, that is 8 char slots. Gotta have something a bit different ;)

•Super|\|ova•
02-01-04, 19:11
Rince you lovable ass! :lol: you rerolling to a rifle spy? :) cool. I rerolled few days ago and I need leveling. I think we should level up together tonight :) I'll be on in couple of hours.

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 19:15
Originally posted by •Super|\|ova•
Rince you lovable ass! :lol: you rerolling to a rifle spy? :) cool. I rerolled few days ago and I need leveling. I think we should level up together tonight :) I'll be on in couple of hours.

LOL - not been called a lovable ass before ;) :lol:

I already have a noob rifle spy on Pluto. Not played him much tho as I have been on Saturn for a while (Pluto was / is getting a bit strange...). I think he is about 30(ish) Dex now.

Shadow Dancer
02-01-04, 19:25
Yes using shocker is a good idea. I don't like to say this because I don't want more people doing it, but the rare shockers are still good for PvP.

Just because it doesn't glue you to the floor doesn't mean it's useless.

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 19:43
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Yes using shocker is a good idea. I don't like to say this because I don't want more people doing it, but the rare shockers are still good for PvP.

Just because it doesn't glue you to the floor doesn't mean it's useless.

I think that the fact that a CS is still the preferred method of PvP for Tanks, that very few will go pure Melee as they don't have the instant edge u get when u catch someone with a few blasts of Plasma.

I personally love the idea of being able to run at full pelt around someone and gradually hack away at them :D

REMUS
02-01-04, 19:46
melee tanks can run cast tl3 heal as well which is pretty fucking uber lol. with all int in psi use and a good psi set up.

make sure you get a good paw of bear as well.

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 19:49
Already got a 3 slot PoB :)

As for run casting the TL3 heal, this char is gonna have INT points in Hack so I can go kill Warbots and hack them - or at least that is part of the plan :D

Actually, that's another question - do WB's just do Xray damage ? And how much Xray should I aim for (I know it's 2 questions..:D)

Flea
02-01-04, 19:59
They do MOSTLY x-ray damage. My melee tank has 100 resist x-ray, and he has all his INT into psi use (trust me runcasting helps in pvp so much) Also, thunderbolt is the strongest shocking weapon in the game (yes more than thunderstorm) and slows your target the most. Melee tank is now viable since the new melee-buff.

Bl1nd
02-01-04, 21:06
the best thing about melee combat is that u can be hc and mc at the same time with my implants i have +85 melee combat and i only have like 20 base and in the other hand i have 120 hc and 90 resist combat and i only have 73 str base and 90 with implants

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 22:02
How much Force Resist is good to spec? I'm unsure as I get 130+ from imps and armor alone?

Mumblyfish
02-01-04, 22:04
You'll want to reach 114 natural force resist (as in 114 in STR), preferably without buffs, as a melee tank. If you don't... well, you're probably the kind of person who wouldn't put all INT in PSU. That is, a nutter.

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 22:32
Hehe - nah, my INT will be going in hack :)

Flea
03-01-04, 00:47
If you put in in hack, then theres really no point in PVP, the extra psi use is what gives the melee tank its viable edge in combat.

GT_Rince
03-01-04, 13:56
lol - why are there always differnet opinions.... Some say don't put it in PSI Use, some say do. OK - so where to PSI points go... Am I really gonna gain an edge using a TL3 heal ?

MayhemMike
03-01-04, 14:15
Rince give me that NEXT epic thingy :p

Anyway, i WOULD go all into PSI USE. You can cap ur ROF On your heal... Run cast on a tank8|. I use Thunderbolt and Paw of bear when i duel cause i did tests and paw of bear does more dmg :p. Anyway, give me the epic thingy >_<

GT_Rince
03-01-04, 14:53
Originally posted by MayhemMike
Rince give me that NEXT epic thingy :p

LOL - OK.... When I get in the game later, find me and I'll sell it to you. I'll have the one from the epic I'm doing tomorrow :D

Edit...

I have also noticed that the Paw of Bear does more damage (for some reason) than the Devils Grace... o_O ... How can that be?

Anyway, I tend to use a mix of the 2 of them. Still need to find a Thunderbold though... Mike - sell me one, or we can do a swap ;)

ezza
03-01-04, 14:58
the POB DG damage thing has been like that for ages, i used to do better damage with my soulblade than my DG:confused:

Rince, if you were the melee dude with Yamma last night, why where you in heavy PA?

(it looked white to me so unless iwas bugged you looked like you was in heavvy PA)

GT_Rince
03-01-04, 15:00
I was in heavy PA cos I needed an extra +1 STR and didn't wanna take drugs :D

Got my STR lvl now, so wont need to use it again - yay \o/ :)

ezza
03-01-04, 15:01
use the melee PA, nice resists on it, you get no slowdown as a melee tank and it give the str bonus and a nice bonus to melee

Magnazan
03-01-04, 15:56
as long as u dont get parashocked then melee is teh win. Its even better when theres more than one melee tank around cos you can really stack the dmg then. Oh and yes you need a thunderbolt.

Shadow Dancer
03-01-04, 15:57
And melee pa has kickass color.

MayhemMike
03-01-04, 15:58
Rince, i will give you my old one :p

Tickles
03-01-04, 16:23
Ok guys u get loads of Melee from imps right so does anyone know if theres a cap to the amount of points u want in melee. Will it make any difference?

Also cause ur always running round u want to stick points in Endurance dont u, cause normally H-C tanks don't bother, but how much END?

Another, how much health u reckon. Same as a H-C tank?

And finally what points should i have in ATL and AGL to cap run speed but still have a load of points left over?

K thank u :)

ezza
03-01-04, 17:06
Originally posted by Tickles
Ok guys u get loads of Melee from imps right so does anyone know if theres a cap to the amount of points u want in melee. Will it make any difference?

Also cause ur always running round u want to stick points in Endurance dont u, cause normally H-C tanks don't bother, but how much END?

Another, how much health u reckon. Same as a H-C tank?

And finally what points should i have in ATL and AGL to cap run speed but still have a load of points left over?

K thank u :)

including melee PA i dont think you will need more than say about 200-220 tbh, you will cap aim and freq with that.

dont bother with endurance, stamina boosters are your friend.

i have same health as a heavy tank on mine.

i have similar ath/agil setup on my melee tank as i do with heavy, but you dont get the slow downwith melee PA or melee weapons, so you zoom around hacking away

GT_Rince
03-01-04, 18:14
Melee PA? When the hell did that arrive? lol :lol:

MayhemMike
03-01-04, 18:17
haha ya rince. There is melee PA now =o=o go get it at mb u bum :p

Shadow Dancer
03-01-04, 21:15
I wish pluto had 2 char slots. I would love to try a melee tank.

And FFS their should be a TL 121 sword called Excalibur.

I'm dead serious. Or maybe Excalibur 2000 to indicate an upgraded version. :p

Leebzie
04-01-04, 22:30
Id love a second char slot, I want to try new things, but I just couldnt reroll soulblade. I had to go off to another server last time I did that and left a lot of people behind for almost 2 months...:(

Possessed
04-01-04, 23:14
If Pluto had a 2nd char slot KK would prolly lose like a quater of their account subscriptions as lots of pluto's players have a 2nd accounts....

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 01:22
Heh... a Biotech melee tank just ploughed through Crahn and Tangent like crazy at Military Base (Pluto). Killed around 10 people, and in one case took down two H-C tanks who were gangraping him. Melee is just fine now.

It should be noted that it was the most entertaining fight I've ever seen! :)

ezza
05-01-04, 13:16
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Heh... a Biotech melee tank just ploughed through Crahn and Tangent like crazy at Military Base (Pluto). Killed around 10 people, and in one case took down two H-C tanks who were gangraping him. Melee is just fine now.

It should be noted that it was the most entertaining fight I've ever seen! :)

there was a melee tank on saturn who used to do this almost every day, so funny watching him slice and dice everyone at the MB:lol:

GT_Rince
05-01-04, 13:21
Well, I now have like 120(ish) ATH & AGL, and the Melee PA. All I can say is, this has to be the most fun I have had in ages. Excellent resists, move like greased shite and can do decent damage in the process. Just gotta work on my resists a little more and I am set.

Oh, and I put all INT into PSI Use and I still can't run-cast the TL3 heal. Got a 4 slotter last night so will try with that when I get home. :)

t0tt3
05-01-04, 14:02
I can have 39 in hack and use spy 1 buff and hack WBT:s

yea can take me a couple of times. Just look at the pattern can u dig 11 nods fast then go for it else just press esc..

Last loot where 4 techs :D

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 14:13
Just putting all INT into PSI Use won't let you runcast TL3 heal. You need a lot of PPU as well, and need to get (I think) 500%+ damage on heal.

Benjie
05-01-04, 14:15
Originally posted by GT_Rince
lol - why are there always differnet opinions.... Some say don't put it in PSI Use, some say do. OK - so where to PSI points go... Am I really gonna gain an edge using a TL3 heal ?

YES! YES! and YES! Just make sure your TL3 spells cap Frequency and Damage.

TBH, fuck warbots! You can still get rares from firemobs, tanks make shit hackers anyway.

Melee PVP is fun, and I used to do it ages ago when it was really fucking weak!!!

My advice: your PSI setup should be almost all your points onto PPU, meet the reqs with MTS (obviously) and get your psi pool from PSI use. You should have 3 points spare to put into PSI power which would EASILY give you enough psi pool. (LMAO at tanks who put additional points into PSI power instead of PPU!)
Don't bother being a hybrid, it's not worth it. Plus without any weapon lore your gonna need more Melee Combat to cap your weapons.

As for constitution, Make sure you meet soft-cap runspeed with 75 Athletics and 75 agility, and then perhaps add a little more into agility, as it's eccential that melee tanks can run fast. Resists should just be the same as you would with a HC tank.

As for equiptment, you now NEED to carry anti parashock pills (can't remember the name) with you or you just become a sitting duck, which sucks.

As for armour, MC PA tanks look dumb (hehe) nothing better than looking like a noob with a melee weapon and kicking ass, isn't that what being a melee tank is all about?
:cool:

Mumblyfish
05-01-04, 14:19
I always thought tank PA looked friggin' UBER.

Only thing I'd ever want to wear in it's place is Titan armour...

GT_Rince
05-01-04, 14:57
Ahh - I didnt reach 500% DMG on the TL3 Heal spell - its at about 460. Hopefully, this 4 slotter will. I'll try tonight :)

And I gotta say, I love the Melee PA. With the fact it don't solw u down - my idea of heaven :D

I already have 120+ ATH & AGL, so I can outrun most things :D