PDA

View Full Version : how did you hear about neocron?

Spectra260
01-01-04, 04:42
just curious

edit:

because i personally found out about neocron from my friend who goes by the online name of 'Executor'

and i persoanlyl have gotten 5 people into the game... so im coming up on the thought that almost everyone in neocron has basically got the game because there friend did, and hardly any to advertising...

but yea....just curious

Tratos
01-01-04, 04:50
my friend made me get it and nopw im hooked, i also made another friend buy it, heh :)

~T

kurai
01-01-04, 04:52
From www.penny-arcade.com (http://www.penny-arcade.com) back in November 2002

Keiron
01-01-04, 04:53
A friend of mine from www.geekincognito.com told me about it. Ran thru the demo and that was all it took to get me on Neocrack.

L0KI
01-01-04, 05:00
Whilst this thread is still very recent.

My guess is....

Friend gets most of the votes.

In EVERY non sony game (:p), word of mouth > all.

Sealdude
01-01-04, 05:15
I think the offline demo was on fileplanet.

IceStorm
01-01-04, 05:20
Heard about it from a friend before Beta started. A bunch of us signed up for beta. I'm the only one that got in. :-)

Oath
01-01-04, 05:37
saw it spoken about on gamepad 3 O_o few months later i came accross it in a game store bought it, installed it sex'd foir the first time, fell in love with it :D

FeeNiX
01-01-04, 05:45
I read about the open beta on fileplanet. Then one day, i was bored and needing a new game, so i am standing in the game aisle at microcenter, and burried on the bottom shelf i see the little green box...so down i went to get it (im 6'5" and it was essentially lieing on the floor....it was a long trip full of effort) and one year later here i am...

Bonnie2k3
01-01-04, 05:53
my boyfiend (clyde denton) got me in to it :)

GambitFlame
01-01-04, 06:01
Friend

yes its all Bullfraged's fault :p if he ever reads these forums that it :rolleyes:

KimmyG
01-01-04, 06:17
zoneseek saw it on the net I think and told me about.

Flea
01-01-04, 06:25
Dr. Monoxide told me about it. DAMN HIM =D

Beanie McChimp
01-01-04, 06:29
Originally posted by Oath
saw it spoken about on gamepad 3 O_o few months later i came accross it in a game store bought it, installed it sex'd foir the first time, fell in love with it :D

on bravo? I watche dlike every episode of that and never heard of it lol.

I heard about neocron from a poster.

ResurgencE
01-01-04, 06:31
Happened upon it in a store a year ago. Had never heard of it before then.

I bet my booties im the only Neocron player in my entire region.

Hopefully alongwith the new publishing deals will come better advertising. Its a shame to have a game as good as this (minus the bugs) go unnoticed.

Kimiko
01-01-04, 06:56
Originally posted by Bonnie2k3
my boyfiend (clyde denton) got me in to it :)

Haha where is Debo these days?

Friend of mine got me into NC in Beta4, he left and I stayed. Wish I hadnt sometimes. Though I did try and return the favor.

Keiron
01-01-04, 06:56
I wonder if ANYONE joined NC becouse of CVD at all. I mean like 1 person.

Spectra260
01-01-04, 07:43
Originally posted by Keiron
I wonder if ANYONE joined NC becouse of CVD at all. I mean like 1 person.

yea that was kinda my point...;)

rubaduckythug
01-01-04, 07:45
I wanted to get a new game and was looking around in a local videogame store at the mall and came across it. i thought it looked good and asked an employee if it was any good and if anyone was still playing it cuase i seen it was an mmorpg, he sadi somthing like this "yea ive never played it befor and we dont refund those types of games if no one happens to be playing it" i was like oh ok.... well i guess ill try it out any ways hehe only cost me 29.99 too so wasnt a big loss ;) and it turned out not to be anyways ^^

Trillian
01-01-04, 08:06
One of my TFC/CS clannies started playing it. And he bugged me to get it. I finally bought it just do shut him up.

Damn you X!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!

Psycho_Soldier
01-01-04, 08:42
My best friend who I use to play TFC/NeoTF (TFC metamod) with and several other games talked me into getting Neocron. Some of you may have remembered him as Hitokiri_Battousai/Legato_Bluesummers, he sold his account awhile back though... :(

Vid Gamer
01-01-04, 08:55
I forget... lol

Online site probably...

Vid Gamer
01-01-04, 08:56
There's 1 vote for buying it from seeing it on TV... o_O

Perhaps a joke...

Peeping Tom
01-01-04, 08:58
From a Norwegian Warez irc channel i used to hangout on lol
K4F

Spectra260
01-01-04, 09:00
Hitokiri_Battousai/Legato_Bluesummers

i remember him...

i always though Legato Bluesummers was a cool name and wish i woulda thought to use it:(

well...not for my main character....but for like my saturn apu monkey

g0rt
01-01-04, 09:07
Originally posted by KimmyG
zoneseek saw it on the net I think and told me about.

win

found a link to it at some "upcoming mmorpg's" page I was browsing at work, about 6 months before the first trailer came out. the bit about an mmorpg within a city, stock market, and guns got me into it right away. when the trailer came out, i watched it multiple times. when beta4 came out, I got into that. this whole time I was telling all my friends about this game.

got 11 people playing this game including myself, all rl friends...some of which still play, some of which have quit but may come back at any time?

Lafiel
01-01-04, 10:52
a friend of mine from another game just linked me to the nc site and i thougt it was really uber so i got it

Nash_Brigham
01-01-04, 10:56
I found out about Neocron by browsing through Gamespot one day. The name caught my eye, went over, downloaded the movie, was like wow, then went to teh site, downloaded the demo, was like wow again, and bought the game. Luckily for me, the store had it in storage. Honestly, I find it hard this game is not known better, but then again, I didn't know about it at all until I found it just by random chance. Here's hoping that KK can get better promotions with their new publisher.

superfresh
01-01-04, 11:47
God spoke to me and said I should play. And so it was done.

[edit] soz, many beers. A friend told me about it and I dumped all my Diablo accounts.

Clyde
01-01-04, 12:58
I heard about Neocron waaaaaaay back in the day from gamespot's beta center. I think it was back in late 2K1 when I think the end of beta 2 or the begin of beta 3 happened. Applied for beta but never got in till the very first day of beta 4 when the german community was allowed to start 2 weeks before the american community got in. What drawn me in was the fact that it was a firstperson mmo rpg WITH a not so scifishness to it (lol).

MortuusLupus
01-01-04, 13:02
A friend of mine was really excited about all the MMO betas going on, so he got me to sign up with him for a bunch of him. I got into this one, he didn't. He looked sad. It was funny =)

L0KI
01-01-04, 13:45
OpTi got me into it, after him, LTA (Reeza) and SpAcEdOuBt discovered it from their BF1942 clan.

We've played ever since. A year ago now :D

Leebzie
01-01-04, 13:48
Just went over to my mates to chill one night and we played neo. He was only like a week into the game , and leveling up towards his first SMG was actually really interestin, as was looking around viarosso. A coupla days later I joined him :D

Id just finished Runescape (O_o but not as bad as the next one...) and The Sims Online Beta (O_oO_oO_o)

Id also read a small amount in PC Gamer about it and had seen a promo video somewhere.

Lethys
01-01-04, 13:51
One of my friends played it in beta, he thought it sucked but I got it anyway :p

Ryuben
01-01-04, 14:43
played offline demo then went to a lan and got 4 m8s saying how absalutly "uber" it was :D so i bought it and been looked ever since

Felissa
01-01-04, 15:48
Hmm, I just was in a shop and thought "Wow, a MMORPG where you don't need to have a credit card! And at the moment I am fed up with all the fantasy stuff, so why not buy it?"

So none oft the above given option is correct in my case :(.

Bob Monkhouse
01-01-04, 15:56
I first heard about it in PC Zone (UK). They had a MMORPG diary where one of the journos played the NC beta. Every month he would publish a diary which made NC sound FANTASTIC. I bought NC on UK retail launch and am still stuck here :)

I have since tried Planetside and SW:G and still prefer NC. Just shows the power of SOE's marketing budget. The REALLY annoying thing is that I often get CDV marketing material in the post, flyers and demo CDs for their crappy RTS games mostly. (The dreadful Sudden strike and its clones, which are inexplicably popular). If NC had HALF of the attention lavished on it by CDV we would have a much bigger population.

LTA
01-01-04, 16:20
Originally posted by L0KI
OpTi got me into it, after him, LTA (Reeza) and SpAcEdOuBt discovered it from their BF1942 clan.

We've played ever since. A year ago now :D

Close :p

I left space and optis bf clan ages ago due to serious issues lol which involved the leader and the second leader (me) steppin down and i joined a dif clan.
Space told me when he was one of my bf admins at bygames, i dunno where they heard of it from so probably the bf clan :p

Thane
01-01-04, 17:16
there was a time when people didn't know about cron?!??!? i was born with muh cronknowledge! never heard of it, only knew it was there! hrrrr

ElfinLord
01-01-04, 19:12
My roommate played the offline demo and loved the game. He ended up buying it and I thought it was incredible.

I bet I'm the only person crazy enough to buy a computer just to play this game. Then, like 6 months later, I built a computer so I could play it better. :D

ezza
01-01-04, 19:19
well id just stopped playing ultima online as it had gotten boring and was looking for a more futuristic game, played AO but it sucked, and was just browing gamespy when i was the beta client for this game, though after looking at the size of the download i fucked it off till retail came.

got it on day one and been here since

shodanjr_gr
01-01-04, 19:21
Was browsing thru a computer game store downtown.

Saw this green box with an awful cover. I loved the grapchis on the back (the wonders of photoshop), i loved what it said about players influencing the game (BoP engine), i loved the weapon customization (yeah, am i gona mod with fire or uranium :P).

One year l8er, here i am as well!!!

J. Folsom
01-01-04, 19:33
I first heard of 'cron when it was posted on a forum for another MMO back when it's international beta closed down for a few months, so I downloaded the offline demo to check it out. Got through it despite the fact that I'd somehow managed to get the German demo while searching for the English one, though "Hey, this is pretty neat", and went and downloaded the Beta 4 version of 'cron.

El Barto
01-01-04, 19:53
I was sat in an English lesson on a (Thursday I think) and I was talking to a friend (lagalot) about Command and Conquer Renegade, then he started talking about a game he had been playing for a while (Neocron). Thats how he got me interested, I went to a Game store on Friday to buy it, but thye didn't have it and had never seen it, went back on Monday and they had it in the store. I have been playing ever since.

ezza
01-01-04, 20:00
this thread is sounding like a one of those meeting you have were you discuss your problems lol

well i got adictted to neocron...etcetc:lol:

KeithMyath
01-01-04, 23:24
i found out about it like Kurai. only maybe it was earlier than nov 2002, all i remember was the site Penny Arcade (an online comic) had a side project called the bench, you got a couple characters, a background and a wooden bench and the whole idea was to make a simple one frame comic. well someone from these forums made a Neocron related comic, Kurai would be able to confirm if this was how it started or not, i think it would have been 2001 for me though, as i was still in school when i found out about the game. it was so almost in beta at the time, there was such a huge wait then, i ended up forgetting about neocron after a while,

darknessfairy
02-01-04, 01:46
Like someone said before...My boyfriend got me into it, cos i watched him play so much...and then i figured the only way to get to talk to him was to play. So now im hooked, and have met some wonderful people...

Please note i said SOME! Lol :lol:

nearly a year since i first played im still here, still loving it..

Flyl
02-01-04, 02:55
From a friend, not sure how many people know him, but his name is Towneh.

Shadow Dancer
02-01-04, 02:56
Didn't hear about it. I just saw it in the store and thought, what the hell.

:p

Spectra260
02-01-04, 02:57
yea i forgot to put that option in there:mad:

sorry:p

VetteroX
02-01-04, 04:11
I havnt seen towneh since early early retail. I got back to college, and thet say I got back, sept first, my freind made me download it. I downloaded beta 4, as a bitch to get it working:rolleyes: when I did I was hooked... leveling + guns and violence... and i saw the possibilites of setting up a char and all that. needless to say, the freind who got me into it quit at the end of beta due to constant bugs and crashes.

Bonnie2k3
02-01-04, 06:08
we r coming back in a few day just wating on r cc to come:)

MindMaze
02-01-04, 06:37
I think I was just surfing around and saw an ad (8|) somewhere. Ordered it as soon as it became available on ebgames.com. Pluto @ 650 people :eek: =ed a lot of fun.

Tupac
02-01-04, 11:23
its all judge's fault i have this addiction

Willisit
02-01-04, 14:06
Was in a feature in PCZONE... had the offline demo on the CD.

Then my brother bought it.. then he bought it for me for my birthday... still here 18 months later ;)

GT_Rince
02-01-04, 14:16
My friend called me up and said "look at this game on <Game Show>". Turned on TV and we watched the demo. Spent the next few hours downloading the 1Gb+ and started Beta 4.

Ascension
02-01-04, 14:57
Through My Bro:rolleyes:

ichinin
04-01-04, 23:17
None of the above.

Browsed a webshop for MMORPGs, looked on the page, tested the offlinedemo, bought the game.

Whiety Bulger
04-01-04, 23:25
I found out about Neocron through a link on the Stractics website and registerd in the old forums and have been a member of the Neocron commuinty since September 2000.

alig
04-01-04, 23:39
I unluckily found it in between about 40 games in GAME :mad: damn

Myrlin
04-01-04, 23:44
I saw a link on the Hot Deals forum at anandtech.com for a free beta (beta 3 or 4). I told some friends about it but never bothered signing up myself. 2 months later they were still playing so I signed up myself.

McEvoy
04-01-04, 23:49
I found out about Neocron on MMORPG.com
then told a bunch of friends, about three of us started playing the game on release

flyjedi
05-01-04, 00:30
Gamespot in the beta center and also from Macenzie who i know in RL. he was getting hooked just looking at the screenshots. i havn't played for about 3 months though i really ought to start again :)

Jesterthegreat
05-01-04, 15:58
beta 4 on a PC Gamer mag :D

lestats
05-01-04, 16:29
i saw it on a tv show called bits about a year before it came out :)

RuButt
05-01-04, 16:56
dunno.. i just searched for MMORPG betas..

found alot of shitty games... then i saw the neocron beta in my gamespy newsletter...

dloaded it... played.. stopped playing..

started playing retail with some friends...

then we discovered the sex emote.. and we were all stuck on neocrack..

though.. everyone have left now :p