PDA

View Full Version : help with overclocking

Ka0s^
31-12-03, 22:04
ok ive come to the conclusion that its about time i expand my knowledge on overclocking :) Basically i want to know how to use all the features on my mobo, the manual isnt very comprehensive, going as far as it tells u about the menus in bios.

Ive had a few gos but im not that confident about messing with the voltages but i understand i need to step up voltage to increase clock speed. ill post my system and if anyone has experience then please post and ill have a go :)

ok

AMD athlon 2600+ (not barton)
1Gb PC2700 DDR
GeForce 4 4800Ti SE (agp 8)
Abit NF7-S
Win XP pro

think thats the important stuff if anyone needs any more info jus post and ill add it :)

Ill Keep this thread updated if i have any success (or catastrophic failures :lol: )

Btw im not trying liquid nitrogen :p

Opar
31-12-03, 23:19
Why would you wanna overclock that PC? Its mucho nice ^^

robinitnow
01-01-04, 00:08
he w'a'n't's more

Gleep
01-01-04, 00:56
If you have air cooling don't push your voltage above 1.8v, infact if you have an AMD or OEM heatsink I wouldn't push past 1.7v. First start at the default voltage and just increase the fsb or multiplier a little bit at a time. I believe your default speed is 1.9Ghz (166fsb x 11.5) so try upping the multiplier to 12 or 12.5 and see how that works.
To test stability go to http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm ( [url)] and download Prime95 it's has a torture test that will find any instabilites, let it run for a while (at least 20 minutes) if it errors out your setting is unstable. Once you find the limit of default voltage you can start bumping it up a little this will let you get a little more speed out of the chip.

Ka0s^
01-01-04, 12:14
ty gleep, its not a AMD heatsink and fan its a coolermaster one although its not one of there uber 1s :) Ty for ur input ill go dl that prime95 and have a go :)

CyTeCH
01-01-04, 14:18
The most usefull page that i can supply is this http://homepages.tesco.net/cjackway/website/overclocking/guide.htm

its a great starting page for people new to OCing.

___T-X____
01-01-04, 16:36
www.pclincs.co.uk are a good source for forum questions.

You have one of the best Overclockable Motherboards on the market - so thats important.

But your ram isnt pc3200, and I think thats important for 400Mhz.

Its a shame its not a Barton, but I bet you can get the chip to run very fast. An AMD 1800XP can run at 2.2Ghz, 2.5Ghz if using watercooling I believe. All the info I have is from the link above.

Good luck with it :)

O - and u may need a new powersupply

Omnituens
01-01-04, 16:52
once i get my new mobo + ram i'm gonna turn this Duron into an athlon xp

*mutley laugh*

only problem is, i don't know if new durons/athlon xps work with dual channel ram. anyone know before i spend stupid cash?

EDIT: this is what im getting

Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard
TwinMOS 2x256 low-latency matched sticks

___T-X____
01-01-04, 16:57
Since your in Sunny Manchester....

Ask & buy from :

www.Planetmicro.co.uk
www.microdirect.co.uk

theyre cheap as chips and really good.

edit

I have that motherboard and its the dogs bollocks. Certain type of AMD XP chips are much much better to overclock than others, and its determined by the Serial number on the Chip.

To buy overclocking cooling and a new Chip use the pclincs.co.uk as a source, the above links are just for mainstream pc stuff

Omnituens
01-01-04, 17:02
Originally posted by ___T-X____
Since your in Sunny Manchester....
i resent that statement.

thanks for the advice though, i'll check it out

___T-X____
01-01-04, 17:04
lol, i live there for 24 years.... its always sunny ? what do u mean ;)

Thane
01-01-04, 17:11
hmm, i read a report yesterday where some guys oeverclocked a p4 3,2 to 5,25 gHz :)

try to get as high as em!!!! get that liquid oxigen and whoooomp..... but hey... you have an amd....
if i where you, i wouldn't overclock an amd, they got probs with heating without the OC allready :D

Omnituens
01-01-04, 17:11
ok, i can save 29p getting the new mobo from planetmirco, but they dont sell dual channel RAM sticks (that i can find) which means overclockers is my best choice

mircodirect cost more than overclockers.

anyone else know any good site? overclockers is my best bet so far

___T-X____
01-01-04, 17:28
http://www.casetech.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/647

this is what ive ordered, for my A7n8x deluxe, its due in the next few weeks. I didnt pay that price for it though, i paid less.

Omnituens
01-01-04, 17:32
you obviously have too much money

give me some

i'll order from overclockers i think

im using a Pentium I 75MHz with 64MB RAM and Win95 atm coz my CPU burned out in my machine

help.... me.....

Wharg0ul
01-01-04, 18:27
http://www.amdmb.com

Ka0s^
01-01-04, 19:41
ok i have a 400w power supply should i be going bigger? from what ive tried on clocking so far, ive gone from 2.09 (stock speed) up to 2.15 with +1v on the RAM.....should i be looking at a bigger jump or does that sound abut right?

slaughteruall
02-01-04, 07:06
You havn't really said what you've tried so far so not sure where to start.

First read here (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=161768) That is a good place to start after that do some testing and see what you can do.

Also the NF7-S does like over 200 FSB with the 10 and 10.5 multi's so you can try to back it down to 9 or 9.5 and crank up the FSB to 200 to start with and go from there. There are people with there FSB around 230 it depends on your ram and what not if you can get that high or not.

I have my 1700 (1.47 gig) running at 2.3 gigs right now and it's rock solid.

If you can post back and what your settings are and i can try to help you out more. Or post on www.overclockers.com it's a very helpful site for any computer problems.

Slaughter

netster
02-01-04, 11:03
how about just tweaking your windows ? o_O ... xp pro comes with alot not used features and options .... i personally have a real nice tweaked xp-pro...

Ka0s^
02-01-04, 20:22
ok at teh mo i got the multiplier at 10 and the FSB at 213. Ive been too busy today to mess about anymore. Im gonna try and get the fsb to 220 i think then put my DDR voltage up another notch. If this goes ok ill tweak the multiplier up by 0.5 or 1 and try upping my vCore voltage to steady it out. First tho im gonna buy a new PSU tomorrow thats 550w and has thermal control on it.

Heh im learning a bit but im still open to advice :)

@netstar, info on twaeking my XP pro sounds good, can u post a link or PM me please ty :)

slaughteruall
03-01-04, 03:30
Not sure what prog netster was referring to but this is one that i have used in the past http://www.tweakxp.com/.

Also what kind of temps are you seeing with your overclock? If you dont have a prog to check that get this one [/url=http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html] MBM 5 [/url].

It will also tell you your voltage on your rails so you can see if you really need another PSU or not.

Ka0s^
03-01-04, 14:12
im running at around 43-45c according to winbond and i sometimes get an intermittent fault on my -12v but its never gone below the safe mark just trigers teh alarm so i look at it.Anyway im off into town to pick up a new PSU so ill post later and try ramping it up some more.

Atm ive got my CPU fan plus 2 extra, 1 in the see through window and 1 mounted at the back of the case directly behind the cpu one, is this ok cooling for what im doing or should look at getting a performance cpu fan its a coolermaster one atm with an aluminium heatsink :)

slaughteruall
03-01-04, 22:23
Your temps aren't to bad a better cooler is up to you. Just try to keep it below 50c that is where most people like to see it. I keep mine at or around 36c under full load. But that is with 5 case fans CPU fan and 2 PSU fans.

Slaughter