PDA

View Full Version : Imperator (from the makers of DAoC)

El_MUERkO
29-12-03, 17:06
Imperator Online: General Game Q&A
Mark Jacobs Updates Us!

Lepidus: One thing many folks do not realize is that Imperator Online will go hand in hand with a major Hollywood production, upon which the game is based. What can you tell me about the status of the film?

Mark Jacobs: Well, nothing is close to done yet but the first draft of a script is done and in the hands of a major production company. These things can take a lot of time, patience, energy and luck to see through to completion. Luckily, we have all of those in plentiful supply these days.

Lepidus: Last we spoke, you and a couple artists staffed Imperator Online. What has changed in all these months?

Mark Jacobs: We’ve been working on new concept art as well as the game design document. Everything is still moving very nicely along.

Lepidus: To date, we know of only class: the Furies. Can you expand on them or any other possible classes in Imperator Online?

Mark Jacobs: Well, to begin with the Furies are not a class but rather a life-calling. They were created during the Second Reformation of Rome to be bodyguards for certain members of the Republic. From inception, they were envisioned as an all-female fighting force and nothing has changed since then. They are quite formidable and the tension between them and the Praetorians is legendary.

Lepidus: In terms of combat, how do you envision the Imperator Online combat system working?

Mark Jacobs: The combat system for IO will be as different from most, if not all, current MMORPGS as night from day. Players will need to be quite involved in the decision-making process during combat and you will not want to leave your screen while in the middle of a melee. While there will be the usual suspects of skills, styles, lots of cool weapons, armor, etc., the way they will all interact together will be closer, in many ways, to an FPS than a RPG except that good hand-eye coordination will not be needed.

Lepidus: The Mayans were revealed as a rival to Rome. Are there any other civilizations who’ve pulled through the ages that you can talk about?

Mark Jacobs: Well, one of the other major powers is centered in Asia with the working title of the Dragon or Pan-Asian Alliance.

Lepidus: Every game has a “claim to fame”, something to separate you from the rest. What will be the most revolutionary aspect of Imperator, the hook that will draw people in?

Mark Jacobs: Hopefully we will have a lot of revolutionary parts (or at least they are revolutionary as of now). If we can pull off the C&C systems (combat and crafting) the way I hope to we will have something quite special.

Lepidus: The official website lists 2005 as your target release date. Do you see that as a viable target or will it be pushed back?

Mark Jacobs: Nope, it’s still viable.

Lepidus: Another MMORPG due out at about the same time as Imperator is Wish. They’re boasting one giant server for all users. Do you believe that Imperator should follow suit or will you stick to the tried method of shards or servers?

Mark Jacobs: Well, I’ve heard people talk about having huge, one-world servers that can support a large (30K) simultaneous number of users for many years and I’ve yet to see one company actually pull it off. If anybody can solve the technical, game design, production and hardware issues without resorting to population segregation (i.e “We support 30M per world but only 3K can be in close proximity” or “We’re sorry but that area is full now”) I’ll tip my hat to them. However, even if you can do that, why bother? The vast majority of players want to have a constant stream of fun while they play and they don’t care if there are 3K or 30K on that server as long as their enjoyment is not comprised by the numbers. I believe that best way to deliver that fun is with smaller server populations.

Lepidus: Two major complaints of every MMORPG to date are camping and boring combat. How do you plan to resolve these issues?

Mark Jacobs: DAoC did and continues to do some pretty cool stuff to cut down on the amount of camping that happens in games of these types and we’re always looking to do more. Without going into too much detail now, I think it is safe to say that camping will not be an issue for IO. In terms of boring combat, our system will be anything but boring.

Lepidus: Although the traditional “magic” will not exist, can you expand on what you intend to have in that role?

Mark Jacobs: We have a number of things in the game that we hope will satisfy those players who want more from a sci-fi game than pure technology. As to what it is, it is way too early to talk about it.

Lepidus: What will the city of Rome look like in Imperator?

Mark Jacobs: Unknown as of yet. Beyond the new Roman Senate and one of the street scenes we have been working on, we’re not sure how much of a role the ancient city of Rome will play in the game.

Lepidus: You once mentioned that players will be able to not only see, but join the Praetorian Guard. How can you expand on what this will mean and their role in an Emperorless society?

Mark Jacobs: The Praetorian Guards are the sworn protectors of the Republic. Their lives are dedicated to fighting internal as well as external enemies of the Republic.

Lepidus: You’ve made it clear that the timeline deviates at the end of the reign of the second Emperor Tiberius. Which real historical figures do you have plans for in the back story?

Mark Jacobs: In ancient times, Claudius, Germanicus, Tiberius and a slave by the name of Marcus play the largest roles. In terms of other peoples’ names, you will see da Vinci, Einstein, Dyson and many others. We hope to have a little bit of fun as well at times with some historical figures.

Lepidus: How do you intend to explain the inclusion of things, such as the Coliseum, that came after the timeline deviation?

Mark Jacobs: Well, it won’t be called the Coliseum but there will be a Flavian Amphitheatre. Just because there weren’t any more emperors after the crux point, doesn’t mean that the Romans gave up their love of the games. What we think of as the “Roman Games” has a long evolution dating back to the Etruscans. After all, we don’t have an emperor but we have stadiums that make the Coliseum look small by comparison.

Lepidus: Scalability is a major catch phrase in the new breed of MMORPGs? Horizons boasts being able to expand their world dynamically. How will Imperator handle this?

Mark Jacobs: Well, just as I said in regards to one-world servers, I’ll tip my hat to them if it works out. Besides, I’d rather take the game down every so often to add new content then run the risk of doing something wrong dynamically.

Lepidus: On how many plains do you intend the game to run? For example: land, sea, air, space?

Mark Jacobs: On all plains eventually. With our upcoming Trials of Atlantis expansion we have added the ability to have gameplay take place underwater with the Mythic Engine. In terms of space, well, I’d hate to have all that space go to waste.

Lepidus: Is there anything you would like to add in closing?

Mark Jacobs: Sure, we intend to make Imperator the best SFMMORPG on the market and we have the time, financing and talent to back up that intent. We will create a game that incorporates both evolutionary and revolutionary aspects. Personally, I can’t wait to see the first squad of Praetorian Guardsmen fly into battle against the treacherous Mayans and attack their secret base hidden amongst the clouds. It’s going to be very, very cool.

http://www.imperatoronline.com/picturae/hadesstreet.jpg

http://www.imperatoronline.com/picturae/hadesstreet_full.jpg

http://www.imperatoronline.com/picturae/romeoutfit_big.jpg

Psyco Groupie
29-12-03, 17:08
not exactly original :)

the city looks cool but why put someone who looks alot like a viking in it ? ..

no v. impressed :angel:

Tratos
29-12-03, 17:11
that looks quite a bit like the neocron concept art o_O

~T

El_MUERkO
29-12-03, 17:16
They seem to be going for a mix of Cyberpunk crappy future + medieval knights + Roman Imperial Governance and military ideals.

Beanie McChimp
29-12-03, 17:16
How about Viking online(no to read the stuff lol)